Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL Scandal: 2 senior executives resign

jnrmac

Regardless of what went on in this particular situation, some of the comments in this thread do an excellent job of demonstrating the sexism still prevalent in society. And the assumption that some men make that they are the only ones in the room. Is it any wonder women don't always feel particularly welcomed by AFL culture, let alone on boards like this?

• Like 6

I've worked with Richard Simkiss, pre him joining AFL, and then early days after. Spent a lot of time a time AFL house, but way back 2000-2005. It then was the most blokey environment ever. Literally a private school boys club.

This happens across Australia, but when you're earning $300k+ you're held to a different standard, as a start you don't need warning to be sacked. Simply stupid thing to do.

i also previously worked at one of the AFLs major sponsors, and we lost one of our Directors in similar fashion after testing his marriage with his secretary. In the end she reported him for use of workplace power, and he was gone. Having known him pretty well he was guilty as.

not a good or clever thing to do, I'm just surprised the modern AFL didn't send them on a course and all is ok to continue.....but then knowing Richard Goyder from Coles time it's a different standard. He is very very professsional. In the Fitzpatrick era they'd still be there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CityDee said:

Cheating is eveywhere eh . when they get caught oh no im sorry -what a load of crap - sorry they got caught more like it . Ill spew up

So true CityDee.

If they hadn't got caught, they'd all still be dipping their wick without a single thought of remorse.

A bit like Ali, he'd still be sniping blokes on the football field this weekend if the incident wasn't caught on camera.

Power tripping dogs!!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MT64 said:

Sacked or resigned what does it matter. I cannot get it out of  my mind that they threw the Norm Smith appointment of that [censored] out earlier knowing this was coming and all the attention would divert to the "resignations". Great politics.

And overlooked Hird's affair

The Donald Trump school of senior management...

The one that porked the rugby union fellas misses will probably be hearing footsteps for a few years. Those union boys can throw a punch, and don't seem to notice the ones coming back.

Gill was interviewed about this on 3AW today. He didn't say anything particularly interesting or new (hardly surprising) but he did mention that one of the things he and the AFL Chairman did yesterday was contact all the AFL's "partners" meaning club Presidents, sponsors and broadcasters. I'd love to know how the conversation went with Channel 7, particularly if the person they spoke to was Tim Worner.

So having now read and listened to a variety of comment on this it seems the AFL has been hoist on its own sanctimonious petard again.

Infidelity is in many work places around the country. Its generally not an issue unless there is a power imbalance in the relationship. ie Snr manager and underling. And where the underling is subsequently disadvantaged when the relationship turns sour. There has been no suggestion that this is the case here.

But what about the women who knowingly hook up with a married senior colleague because they think it might further their own career? Where is the responsibility or accountability from them?

Gill has positioned the AFL as a holier than thou social leader on respect for women, drugs, indiginous people, gay marriage, climate change, racial vilification etc etc.

Not saying any of those causes are wrong but its a fair question to ask whether the AFL should meddle in some of these social issues.

IN this case the AFL appears to have been caught up in its general 'respect for women' stance yet the reality of the liaison may be somewhat murkier. We don't know what evidence there is that the women involved have not been respected or have had their careers damaged by a power imbalance etc. There has been no suggestion of any such thing.

But to me it seems murky that the AFL knew on 3 June that there were whispers of infidelity and/or inapproriate yet claim they only 'found out' when it was in the Herald Sun on Monday this week. It's hard to take that claim on face value and like so many 'causes' the AFL tries to champion they botch it up because they perhaps aren't genuine about the issues but rather more interested in the optics.

Gill also looks to me like the classic lawyer who wanted to be leader but doesn't have the skillset or vision to lead his organisation. He keeps fumbling the ball on issues that spring up unexpectedly.

Did I read somewhere in this thread about AFL 'integrity'?  What skerrick there was won't last long: "Whether they are not [back in the AFL system], depends on their actions and behaviours from here. But I know our industry is forgiving... I feel confident they will get another chance," McLachlan said.

The ink is barely dry on their resignations and Gil comes out with that. 

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/simon-lethlean-and-richard-simkiss-could-return-to-the-afl-says-gillon-mclachlan-20170714-gxbt9m.html

So they will go to pergatory for a while then welcomed back with open arms, perhaps James Hird style...

Truly pathetic by Gil. 

A very well written article that turns the argument around to say that the actions of the AFL in today's world was sexist.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/17/this-is-what-the-afl-calls-respecting-women-looks-like-patronising-moralism-to-me

Listening to Gil being interviewed on this subject on the 3AW footy show on Saturday it was apparent that he was all over the place in his thinking as was their policy.

Just a couple of quotes from the Guardian article:

"The AFL takes itself terribly seriously, doesn’t it? To hear its agonised chief executive Gillon McLachlan trying to explain the forced resignations of two senior officials for “inappropriate” relationships with “young” women – their youth seemed to be critical – I wondered if I was listening to the head of the Presbyterian church rather than the boss of a football league. "

"The AFL is terribly earnest in its desire to do the right thing, and sees itself as a leader on all kind of social issues from racism, LGBTI rights to domestic violence. Mostly, its influence is benign, and occasionally inspiring. But please, Gillon, stay out of the bedroom. Women – and men – don’t need you there in 2017"

• Like 2

On 15/07/2017 at 6:17 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Did I read somewhere in this thread about AFL 'integrity'?  What skerrick there was won't last long: "Whether they are not [back in the AFL system], depends on their actions and behaviours from here. But I know our industry is forgiving... I feel confident they will get another chance," McLachlan said.

The ink is barely dry on their resignations and Gil comes out with that. 

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/simon-lethlean-and-richard-simkiss-could-return-to-the-afl-says-gillon-mclachlan-20170714-gxbt9m.html

So they will go to pergatory for a while then welcomed back with open arms, perhaps James Hird style...

Truly pathetic by Gil. 

Why would he possibly welcome Lethlean back on $900,000 a year (his reputed package)? If the AFL advertised the position at 1/3 that, there would be guys (and gals) beating the doors down. The AFL could easily save 600K a year and maybe even end up with a superior candidate.

It could then repeat the exercise with Simkiss's position and possibly review all packages (included his own) and return the savings to the eighteen Clubs. 

I would prefer the AFL to focus on their core business and get that right. There are so many issues related to fixturing, knee jerk rule changing on the run, umpiring " interpretations" , inequitable treatment of clubs due to perceived potential damage to crowd numbers and TV ratings, the impact of TV networks   In timetabling games and it's impact on unfashionable clubs, the blanket refusal of the AFL to countenance any commentary about umpiring.............. there are a dozen more pressing concerns that they could focus on if their heart was in it. 

These societal issues are important but there are different methods to address them  rather than this tokenistic, half  arst approach that the AFL is using. Hey Gil, get the AFL right first.

On 14/07/2017 at 4:36 PM, jnrmac said:

Women get away with this about 10:1. 

I do not understand why the AFL has taken on such moral ground. 

4 Adults all over 18

both parties consenting? IF they are consenting AND they are not Horizontal AT WORK or during work hours then it is none of anyones business. 

Are the 2 women still holding the same jobs Gill?

• Like 1