Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

One more captaincy question to ponder...

Dappa Dan

I'm sorry to bring it out again, but I had a thought today that I dismissed at first, but that has stayed with me.

Let's assume for a minute, as discussed in previous posts, that Neita's handing back the captaincy and that Brock, while a definite leader, is too young at the moment.

If the club was adamant that the captain HAD to come from one of the other recently announced leaders, then would it be ridiculous to suggest Junior could fit the bill?

Like I said, I dismissed it at first for a few reasons:

- Firstly he's only just come off his best season ever. Is he doomed only to go downhill from here?

- He's not exactly talkitive when it comes to the media. Does he have the kind of personality that we want the public to associate with MFC? Who knows?! Does he even have a profile? Did he have one before his AA selection this year?

- Is he damaging enough as a player?

- Has he done enough in his career to DESERVE the honour?

But after these, and a couple of other negative reasons, I started to reel off the positives:

- There are worse players that have been skippers of their clubs. Hell, there ARE worse players that are skippers of their clubs. MUCH worse.

- If what we're looking for is an interim captain, then perhaps age-wise he's perfect. His career will certainly at least begin to decline after 2 seasons, at which time it'll be only natural for him to hand it over. It may not be so easy to wrench the title from the hands of Green and Bruce who will be in their prime at around 28 in 2 years. The problem with this logic? If all you want is a captain who will retire in 2 years, you may as well leave it with Neita.

- I reckon Green took a big step this year if what he wants to do is lead the club. His attitude, for all but one heartbeat, was top-notch. But I don't think I'm alone when I say he has a way to go yet before he strikes fear into opposition players and inspires his own mates. He has the talent, just needs some more runs on the board.

- I don't rate Bruce as a captain. He's a leader by default, as he's such a good footballer, but I worry about his ability to inspire team-mates, and there's still a question on his physical courage in some camps.

- Speaking of inspiration, I lost count of the amount of times, and the amount of different MFC players who spoke in glowing terms about McDonald this year, and other years for that matter. If what you want is a guy you can rally around, it would appear that behind the bigfella there are few who put their body on the line as often and as willingly as Junior. When it comes to onfield support, I'm confident James would have it from any of the 22 in red & blue, whether he asks for it or not.

- If what we want is a captain to show Bartram, Bell, Bate, Sylvia, Jones and others how to go in hard year after year, then Junior is the ONLY candidate. Perhaps it's worth considering what awarding the captaincy to him means to young impressionable players. McDonald is a fantastic player to have in at the clinches, and teaching, via the example he sets, our young in-and-unders how to play. But just think what effect it would have on them if they go away thinking that all the publicity, interviews, and general palava that goes with being a leader counts for squat when compared to good old fashioned hard work. I can't think of a better way to send the message that what we all (the board) want you to do is just work hard for 10 years, a la Junior. I assume that they're inspired by him as things are, otherwise he wouldn't have been voted into the leadership group. What I'd love to see is their faith that the coaching staff and club management are of the same mind as they (the average player) are. If THAT happens, we're all on the same page, and we have what I think is called a team.

I'm sure there are more negatives and positives to come from the likes of all of you, but this is a start.

Like I said, the appointment of Junior as skipper is highly unlikely. But this question that's been on my mind all morning has, at least in a small way, changed the complexion of the captaincy debate for me. I hope it has for you too...

Now turn to page 5 of your hymn books...

Brock has to be made captain. In his instance his actions speak louder than words or personality ever could. He grabs the game by the jugular and thats what captains do.

Mark Ricciuto and Nathan Buckley were not exactly 'zany'. They let thier performances inspire. Don't forget Brock is still only 21. Blokes like Buckley and Ricciuto were kids at one stage too.

I haven't seen a melbourne player since perhaps David Schwarz own a game. I mean OWN a game circa 1994. Dictate the play to the point where everything else became peripharal. Brock does this.

He needs to lead the club. Maybe not this year but by 2008 and beyond.

I would like Neitz to stay for one more year, however if he chose to hand over the captaincy as early as next year, there are only two choices for captain IMO; Brock or Green.

Firstly, Junior, while he deserves to be made a leader, is not captain material. He isn't a damaging enough player, he has been in the leadership group for 5 minutes, and he is not in the prime of his career. He had a brilliant season in 06, but in 05 he was poor and many here suggested he was finished. I'd like to see whether he can go again next year.

Brucey for me is not captain material either. He didn't excel when he captained, he isn't really a team player, and to be honest, his 06 season left much to be desired given his talent. Of course this is not a reflection of him as a player. He is a very good versatile player, but he is not captain material.

So that leaves 2 choices. Here are the pros and cons of either:

Brad Green

Pros:

- Has become a valuable team player in 06, and really went when it was his turn.

- Excelled as captain when given the opportunity

- Can play a number of roles, hence versatile

Cons:

- Has only spent a year in the leadership group

- Does not influence games in the way Neitz can, and is not a match winner.

Brock McLean

Pros:

- Very very good player, who has a profound influence when he plays.

- Was outstanding in the final, and brought us back from the brink of defeat

- We all see his leadership qualities and agree that eventually he'll be captain

Cons:

- He's 20, and that is a very young age for someone to be leading a football team. Can he handle it? I have no doubt, can others follow the lead of a 20 year old? Maybe not

- We still don't know what he'll be like in an official leadership role

- Can he get his body 100% right going forward, and can we afford a captain who can't run out games due to injuries?

There isn't an easy replacement for Neitz.

McLean would be a huge risk for next year, but so would anyone else given there isn't an obvious choice.

Perhaps the solution, should Neita decide to step down, is to rotate the captaincy for a year, Sydney style, and see what happens. Everyone can take a turn in leading, and Neita can guide them.

Whoever is the most successful leader, then gets the gig from 2008 onwards.

Cameron Bruce will be the next captain unless neitz plays on for 2- 3 years

- I don't rate Bruce as a captain. He's a leader by default, as he's such a good footballer, but I worry about his ability to inspire team-mates, and there's still a question on his physical courage in some camps.

u dont rate bruce as captain ? how can u when he hasnt had a chance? 2-3 games as acting captain maybe

last year a source from inside the MFC told me cameron bruce would be the next captain after Neitz, this may have changed after 1 year but but i cant see brocky taking on this role at such a yonug age. can u please explain the term LEADER BY DEFAULT?

Excellent post Jaded. ;) However, if Neitz is captain for one more year, I would not be adverse to giving McLean the job at 21 yo age. His performance in the final and interview after the final were inspiration and a lesson to other players.

Mclean's biggest challenge this year is that opposition teams will not give him any leeway.

Cameron Bruce...captain....phffttt! :rolleyes:

However, if Neitz is captain for one more year, I would not be adverse to giving McLean the job at 21 yo age.

Mclean's biggest challenge this year is that opposition teams will not give him any leeway.

I agree. If he backs it up in 07, he's got the job in 08.

What's the point of having 'in-between' captains, when eventually he'll get the job?

It's a waste of everybody's time.

Also, it's very hard to tag someone who knows how to get the pill better than you. It is far harder to tag inside midfielders, than outside. I trust he'll cope a lot better than TJ did.

Brucey for me is not captain material either. He didn't excel when he captained, he isn't really a team player, and to be honest, his 06 season left much to be desired given his talent.

Quick to forget he was second in the B & F, that is hardly a disappointing season. I certainly agree that their were many moments where I was shaking my head at some of his efforts, but he did have a good year, that is unquestionable.

I've said it before ages ago, if Bruce was captain it may encourage him to develop the parts of his game which are lacking, and that would make him quite a force. Although Brock was magic in the final this year, Bruce was not far behind, I tend to remember Hannabal rating his game above Brock's. He is the perfect age for the role, in the prime of his career, a matchwinner, and able to hold down a position anywhere on the ground, hence he should be able to influence the team. He has also been doing a lot of media work recently. I think you've dismissed him a little too easily.

Call me biased, yes, I know my demonland name, but I think its fair to say you're an avid fan of Brock Mclean - not that there is anything wrong with that. There's no doubt Chooka will captain the team someday, but I think for now, Bruce would be the wise choice; or at least considered! Whether you consider him an interim captain or not depends on how he performs in the role.

Quick to forget he was second in the B & F, that is hardly a disappointing season. I certainly agree that their were many moments where I was shaking my head at some of his efforts, but he did have a good year, that is unquestionable.

You make some good points, and again, I highlighted that Bruce is a very good player, but he isn't really a team player.

He had an ok season in 2006, but certainly in the second half of the year his kicking was absolutely shocking, and when he wasn't assigned to a specific job (i.e.- Tarrant), he was ordinary.

He also isn't the sort of player to impose himself physically on a game. I don't see him standing up to an opposition player if they snipe one of our younger players. Besides, he is one of the main offenders when it comes to disappearing when it counts.

I don't remember him ever lifting us to victory. Certainly he has more influence on a game than Green or Junior do, and you could argue that given our current captain is a FF, he would have more influence than Neitz too, but you can't really compare the leadership qualities of McLean versus the leadership qualities of Bruce.

One is a born leader, the other is a taught leader.

I'd like for him to be more physical and more aggressive in his approach to the game. If he can do what Brad Green did in 2006, then he could possibly be considered for the job after Neitz, because he is one of our best players.

But if we were to hand him the captaincy right now, I'd have my doubts.

Edit: If McLean didn't miss so many games through injury in 2006, he would have easily finished top 3 in the B&F.

Quick to forget he was second in the B & F, that is hardly a disappointing season.

Its not a ticket to leadership. Trav Johnson won the Bluey Truscott last year and he is not a leader's boot lace.

I've said it before ages ago, if Bruce was captain it may encourage him to develop the parts of his game which are lacking, and that would make him quite a force.

Captaincy should not bestowed on a player on the vague hope that it will improve aspects of his game that are inately lacking and are not reeolved by the player through their normal game. The weight and responsibility of captaincy will hardly assist this process.

For my money, Bruce is a good player on his day but he is not a leader.

can u please explain the term LEADER BY DEFAULT?

Cam is a softly spoken (by comparison) footballer, a really nice guy (I went to school with him), is completely without malice, and isn't exactly a physical presence, hence the fact he was taken as a low draft pick. Now he's a sensational footballer, no-one doubts that, and as a good player he'll lead the club simply by how much say he has in the direction a game takes. But I can't see him lifting team-mates any other way. Can you really see Bruce barking instructions at a young player who didn't put his head over the ball?

Like I say, anyone who plays that well, that consistantly leads the club BY EXAMPLE. But I don't reckon he'd inspire the club to great things by his acts of heroism or a stirring half-time speech, a la Gaddy Lyon.

It's only an opinion, and I'm not in the inner sanctum. Perhaps he's the thinking man's leader? Perhaps he's more brains, not brawn? Maybe he'll have a quiet word instead of swearing and postulating all over the change-rooms? Who knows? At this stage at least, I reckon what Brock does on and off the field is impossible to ignore, and inspirational in almost every instance.

I can see that my original post has largely been ignored, so I'll drop the McDonald for captain idea I posed, but keep it stored away just in case. Brock is my man, as I've said before. My only question is whether or not the captaincy will HARM his development.

If it's of any interest to anyone, I know a guy who played with Brock when he was younger. The day we drafted him this guy made the effort to call me to say we'd just picked up our next captain. My first thought was "who are you?", but after clearing up his identity I realised how forthright he was trying to be. At the time I dismissed him as being a bit over-the-top about Brock. After all, how can you know a guy is going to be that good before seeing him play a game of AFL? What he said was that Brock's parents had been pushing him into this life since he was born, and that he's basically been bred as a leader. Interesting thing to recall now that he's 21 and pushing for the captaincy isn't it?

Strangely enough I think two of the blokes who captained the side while Neita was injured - Cameron Bruce and Brad Green - both handled their roles well in his absence. We might all have our own preconceived notions about whether a bloke would make a good skipper and I confess I was surprised by both of them this year. Of course, we don't know how they would go as full time leaders over a longer period of time but they both passed their first tests IMO.

Its not a ticket to leadership. Trav Johnson won the Bluey Truscott last year and he is not a leader's boot lace.

Captaincy should not bestowed on a player on the vague hope that it will improve aspects of his game that are inately lacking and are not reeolved by the player through their normal game. The weight and responsibility of captaincy will hardly assist this process.

I agree it's not a ticket to leadership, I was attempting to outline that he hasn't had a disappointing year.

And with your second point, I suppose it boils down whether you believe in born-leaders or whether these skills are acquired, although Jaded addressed this. I think Bruce handled himself quite well when he captained the side; you can't say he did a bad job. And he didn't go missing in the Elimination final, yet he as well as the rest of the team did the next week.

Also, you talk of the weight and responsibility of captain, this would be tough for a 21 year old despite what Brock has shown. It puts huge expectation on the young man, and we need him to be firing without such a burden.

Jaded, it's a little unfair to say that he isn't a team player. Doesn't need much substantiation from my behalf, but yes sometimes he does play selfishly (going for the hero goal and completely shanking the kick) His kicking became deplorable, yet his efficiency didn't drop that much. Although it is clear Mclean wins more of his own ball, Bruce does better than his reputation suggests, although he is largely an outside player. He is not super tough, but he isn't soft.

Brock would make a terrific captain, no doubt. I just think the time is right for Bruce, it would complete his game.

Sometimes players have to grow into the role of captain - the exact same thing happened with Neitz when he was appointed captain. Many questioned his appointment after we had two terrific captains in Lyon and Viney, but few would question his appointment now.

Personally, I don't think Bruce is exactly ready to be captain right now but that shouldn't necessarily count against him. Most of the (valid) criticisms levelled against him here - his lack of presense on the football field, his silent demeanor, his questionable team ethic - are all things that he can be forced into correcting once he assumes the captaincy: Neitz had to go through a similar process. Bruce may not be an "ideal" or "complete" captaincy candidate, but that's not to say he never will be. Besides, in my opinion, at the moment he's clearly the best option we have.

Sometimes players have to grow into the role of captain - the exact same thing happened with Neitz when he was appointed captain.

There was no other option except Schwartz. He wasn't as suitable as some of us thought.

I was all for him, and I was wrong.

Now there are (at least) three. Brock, Bruce and Green.

My thoughts are that Brocks biggest issue is not his age, it is the fact he cant play 22 games. He may only play 15 this year. Hope not, but the (lack of) runs are on the board.

Bruce has a similar problem in that he is either frail, or perceived to be. Cant play injured very well.

Green on the other hand played all year injured and played well, although his injuries prevented him from displaying his normally highly applauded foot skills.

He developed into a hard nut, IMO. I reckon he feels the captaincy is his destiny and he has pushed for it.

If not Neiter, Id hope Brad Green gets the captaincy.

Its a shame Brad Millers ability as a footballer rules him out as a captain, I think he has most of the attributes to be a captain but is missing the one big key that is to be able to turn a game and dominate. A captain has to have a tough presence about them. Besides Junior who is a bit old to be our next captain, the only player in our leadership group that is tough doesn't take a backward step, can turn a match as he did against St Kilda is Brock.

IMO this guy has all the attributes of being a great leader. Hopefully Neita can captain until the end of 2008, then Brock is our man.

Miller needs to establish himself to a consistent AFL standard before we jump to the next hurdle of dominating and turning AFL games. Without that attribute he ain't a captain's coin toss.

Good post Franky with fair thoughts about Brock and I agree with you about Green.

I'm sorry to bring it out again, but I had a thought today that I dismissed at first, but that has stayed with me.

- Firstly he's only just come off his best season ever. Is he doomed only to go downhill from here? Not that I would think so. Hes a pure bread footy player. A champion

- He's not exactly talkitive when it comes to the media. Does he have the kind of personality that we want the public to associate with MFC? Who knows?! Does he even have a profile? Did he have one before his AA selection this year? Name other youngsters (his age) that are any better talking to the media. Practise makes perfect hey?

- Is he damaging enough as a player? Yes, thinking of finals think St Kilda.

- Has he done enough in his career to DESERVE the honour? No. He needs another year of what he has done in 06 to deserve it.

But after these, and a couple of other negative reasons, I started to reel off the positives:

- There are worse players that have been skippers of their clubs. Hell, there ARE worse players that are skippers of their clubs. MUCH worse. We want to exceed the competition. We dont want to be around mediocraty teams anymore so do we want to be slightly better than worse?

- If what we're looking for is an interim captain, then perhaps age-wise he's perfect. His career will certainly at least begin to decline after 2 seasons, at which time it'll be only natural for him to hand it over. It may not be so easy to wrench the title from the hands of Green and Bruce who will be in their prime at around 28 in 2 years. The problem with this logic? If all you want is a captain who will retire in 2 years, you may as well leave it with Neita. Correct. Or hand it to someone to lead for 2 years till we see the best of Brock on AND off field, leadership etc.

- I reckon Green took a big step this year if what he wants to do is lead the club. His attitude, for all but one heartbeat, was top-notch. But I don't think I'm alone when I say he has a way to go yet before he strikes fear into opposition players and inspires his own mates. He has the talent, just needs some more runs on the board. Green is a disopointment. From once was a dead eye shot at goal, he now misses on more than every second occasion. Why is this. Lack of motovation? Lack of training from playing midfield more than he used to...probebly. I have attacked green in the past for being soft...until revisiting videos of the games and seeing he does put his body on the line...more than bruce. Still I miss that dead eye shot at goal

- I don't rate Bruce as a captain. He's a leader by default, as he's such a good footballer, but I worry about his ability to inspire team-mates, and there's still a question on his physical courage in some camps. I think Bruce would be a super captain. He has the skills and knoweledge, leadership and morals but he doesent put his head over the ball often enough. He doesent go in as hard as he could. Tough one...really. I would have to say hes the best looking caption out there though.

In conclusion, McLean to be caption in 08. If Neitz hands it over, it should go to Bruce as favourite, Green second and Johnstone third. If neitz handed it over, i would want him to become vice caption. Is Yze still vice capt...i hope not!

So how is Bruce going to be a "super" captain when "he doesn't put his head over the ball" and "does not go in as hard as he could"? What a wonderful leader that would be? How do you anything about his morals?

Before you write off Green as a disappointment as a kick, Green laboured through last year with an ankle injury that was operated on at the end of the season. Your only criticism of Green is that he does not kick the goals he used to.

From what I have seen of Bruce over the past couple of year he has to be the most overrated kick going around. His performances last year were marred by his repeated execution of the most woeful helicopter kicks that either missed gettable goals or resulted in turnnovers. He is flaky at best. But of course he is a leader with morals. I forget.

It's a no brainer that David Neitz should be captain in 2007. And no-one was an earlier adopter of (Colin who?) or is a bigger fan of Brock McLean than me - well not counting proto-stalkers like Jaded that is.

But discussions like this about the 2008 captain leave me wondering how everyone ignores the elephant in the bedroom, the gigantic shadow looming from the west, the deafening sound of the rudest four letter word that no high-tech ambient noise cancelling headphones can deny. It's ...

JUDD!

JUDD!!

JUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

Make no mistake this is the biggest question of 2007, bigger than can the natural improvement of our youth really make us a contender or will Neale Daniher resign or re-sign. We are talking about the player who is on track to be the greatest ever, who is out of contract at the end of 2007, who is rumoured to want to come home, who has 10 years of footy still in him and who would be as likely to come to MFC as go anywhere.

How we posters respond to this will show our true mettle - who is really prepared to go into the ring against this super-heavyweight question and slug it out. There'll be the haymaker throwers who will offer our first rounder plus return of PJ and will think they're still fighting despite having been back in the dressing room after being knocked out in the first 20 seconds. There'll be the messiah-deniers who will hide behind the failed ghosts of Tilbrook, Templeton and the return of Barassi. And there will be the outright cowards who say that he'll never leave West Coast anyway so why bother even thinking about it.

I for one am putting my hand up to battle and expect to have my nose broken and both eyes shut by about the 4th round. The reserve will be around 3 first round draft equivalents and the exit of one of our "best" to make big salary cap space. Start your bidding!

A very good left field dilemma you raise.

Great to have him and I agree with your high assessment of him and what will it cost?

If we perform similar to last year we will access pick 12 or thereabouts in next year's draft...so a relatively low trump card (as opposed as a Top 5 pick)

So here we go for starters....

Pick 12 + Bruce like player + Dunn/Bate for Judd + 2 picks (70 +)

There is also possibility that MFC might sweeten the deal by trading a existing quality player (and I mean quality) for another first round pick so the deal might be sweetened with.

Pick 12 +another top round pick + Dunn/Bate (play quality forward) for Judd + 2 picks (70+ picks).

I'll give it more thought and see of I can refine the bid later.

a bigger fan of Brock McLean than me - well not counting proto-stalkers like Jaded that is.

Hey, I resent that! :P

Two questions for you;

1- Should Judd decide to return to Victoria, what do you believe will land us the deal? (I'm talking specific players and picks)

2- Assuming we land Judd, would you make him captain the moment he walks through the door?

an interestig conundrrum you raise 55..but would it be fair to hire a bloke and make him capt in the same 5 mins?? I dont hink so.... yo have blokes who give there al lfor the read and blue..and some interloper comes in and takes the cake !! you can see how that doesnt sit...even if he is the commensurate player he is ( judd).

only one name for the possie when Neeta hangs up the boots.. Brock McLean.

As some mention.. HE makes his presence felt...his team mates lift around him.. ..HE makes things happen....some very good othr playres...but not with the "X" factor of...i'll follow him.. etc.. a Captain has to lead, inspire.. its not really a multi horse race is it !!

Interesting. I like what you've done there in applying the questions I asked of Junior to Brock, but I'm not sure we're covered an enormous amount of ground by doing so. Everyone in this club, and the other 15, know Brock has everything it takes to be a captain. The ONLY question marks anyone has raised in this thread, and others, and in other websites are around his ability to play 22 matches and his youth. Like you say if these 2 problems are the ONLY ones he has to contend with, I'm confident h's the man for the job.

I think most MFC fans would be pleased to see Neitz go again next year and MAYBE one more after that assuming he plays as well as he did in 2006 and doesn't require any kind of surgery. After that it's Brock, Brock, Brock for captain, and that's fine too.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss what would happen if Neita refused the captaincy to concentrate on his footy, thereby effectively creating 2 captains on the field in Neitz and his replacement. It's a sound plan, and one that the MFC might be pondering, what with the stalled announcement of the captaincy. The other element of this discussion was the assumption that they felt Brock was too young, and that he'll have to wait 2-5 years for the role.

So just to clarify, no Brock and no Neitz, which could conceivably happen, then where do we look?

I like your thinking surrounding Bruce. What we need to see from him is a FULL consistent season, and some physical fearlessness and he'll be in the box seat. Without some robustness, if he doesn't play well, (which he is wont to do from time to time) he is a vacuum on the field. In these scenarios it would almost be more damaging to see him as captain. With a physically threatening player, at least they have a latent presence, even if they're not getting their hands on the pill. I remember early in 2006 Neitz did exactly this. He couldn't get a hold of it, but he was still scaring the bejeezus out of some defenders, often 2 or more. Bruce, it appears, will never have this kind of string to his bow.

Green is similar in that he needs one or two more elements before we can promote him. Consistency has found him only in 2006, and there is still some debate about that. Physically he has grown a presence, at least in 2006. As Rhino points out he played injured, and as Franky suggests he was hampered all year and still played solid, important footy through the midfield and in defence. Like Bruce he needs to be given the opportunity to add the last peices of the puzzle. ie. recall his kicking ability that was best in the AFL once upon a time, and begin to add even more physicality to his footy.

The truth is (I'll cop it for this) I'm not prepared to back either, as both could easily fall flat on their faces. For all I know Green could return to selfish dazzling footy if and when his foot heals. Bruce similarly could try his hand at getting his own footy, and get crunched by some over-zealous tackle a la Guerra in round 3 2005, ending his captaincy aspirations. I love both players, and believe they will both be, at very least, in the leadership groups into their 30s, but I'm not sold yet, and to be honest I don't know that I'm confident that they'll get there. This is where McDonald comes in. He's a known entity, as consistent as ANY demon of the past 10 years, and is respected by all and sundry. But I know, I know, we've already refused this idea earlier. I think the main reason I'm off his bandwagon is that we are in a position to threaten for a flag in 2007 and 2008 and interim captains are not appointed at times like this.

So the upshot of all this is that we are more or less forced to go with Neitz for another year, with a view to giving Brock, Green and Bruce a really solid look. And that's fine by me....

an interestig conundrrum you raise 55..but would it be fair to hire a bloke and make him capt in the same 5 mins?? I dont hink so.... yo have blokes who give there al lfor the read and blue..and some interloper comes in and takes the cake !! you can see how that doesnt sit...even if he is the commensurate player he is ( judd).

No surprise that you tripped over one of the TV cables on your way to the ring and knocked yourself out Bub. That fits perfectly with your form line.