Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes v Sydney Swans

Deeman

11 hours ago, Chook said:

I've had hamstring soreness that's gone away within days. Are you saying that was all because of my back?

Likely, but depends what 'gone' means. Gone for walking down the street or sprinting after a football. 

14 hours ago, Vineytime said:

In: Wagner / Watts

Out: Salem / Bugg

You want Bugg Out?? You must be joking??!  He adds the Rod Grinter/ Byron Picket effect to our footy club!  Tough, hard as a cats head and can play. Ok misses a few goals but he is one of the reasons we are combining so well as a team. He stays as long as he keeps the same intensity! A big like for me!:P

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 12

Blow for Demons with defender hamstrung

Salem missing for 3 - 4 weeks will hurt us.

Our soft tissue injuries are mounting... These 6 days turnarounds are catching up to us.

Edited by McQueen

1 hour ago, Red and Blue realist said:

Garlett has played a couple of times in the past after looking like he was going to be out for multiple weeks, so given he was still running (albeit restricted) at the end of the game I think he's a reasonable chance to come up. Don't think Salem's was particularly bad either but he'll miss, but hopefully only 1 or 2 games.

Garlett will be vital against the Swans and how they load up from the backline, I'd suspect Kent might get a run if he is out, he'll be told just to pressure everything and stop their run out of the backline. 

Ralph (Hun) saying that both Salem and Garlett are definite 'outs'.  Didn't reference a source so may be just guessing.

Edited by Deeoldfart
afterthought

Time for a couple of fringe players to step up. 

Wagner will probably get a run with JKH as well.

I went to the Swans game Friday night and they looked slow compared to the Bombers. I'm not sure why possibly the way they moved the ball. In any event I think the key to Friday will be keeping up our pressure and speed which is why Garlett is a big loss. I'd be looking for those two attributes from the two's ahead of mere possessions.

10 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Blow for Demons with defender hamstrung

Salem missing for 3 - 4 weeks will hurt us.

Our soft tissue injuries are mounting... These 6 days turnarounds are catching up to us.

It was always the fear, really sucks for Salem too because he's having a breakout year. Wagner should come in for him, he didn't do much wrong before he got dropped, there were just players ahead of him. 

JKH comes in for Garlett IMO. Can't ingore such consistent VFL, particularly when he's done literally exactly what was asked of him. JKH can rotate through the middle and forward line with Stretch, Bugg, and Petracca. If he comes in he needs to be in everything with tackling and pressure. That has to be his aim. If he gets 11 possies but has 8 tackles and 2 smothers I'll be satisfied (especially if he can snag some goals). 

Who else is sore?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pates said:

It was always the fear, really sucks for Salem too because he's having a breakout year. Wagner should come in for him, he didn't do much wrong before he got dropped, there were just players ahead of him. 

JKH comes in for Garlett IMO. Can't ingore such consistent VFL, particularly when he's done literally exactly what was asked of him. JKH can rotate through the middle and forward line with Stretch, Bugg, and Petracca. If he comes in he needs to be in everything with tackling and pressure. That has to be his aim. If he gets 11 possies but has 8 tackles and 2 smothers I'll be satisfied (especially if he can snag some goals). 

Who else is sore?

That's the biggest question. Obviously Viney has his shoulder concern, Hannan was a bit proppy on that hip complaint and Hibberd got thru okay but his Hammy is still a concern given another short break.

If we can get this win against the Swans, the boys will have a decent 9 day rest before taking on the Blues. I'm mindful though of Goodwin saying we won't risk anyone so there could be a couple more forced changes on top of Salem and Garlett.

But at this stage, it's fairly straight forward with Watts and JKH the logical replacements.

• Like 1

I understand injuries .... but why this year do we seem always to get the minimum four week type injuries.

Just when I was finally getting free of my MFCSS another thing comes along.

Pessimistically waiting for similar reports on Garlett and possibly Hannan which would really knock us around

JKH has kicked one goal  (perhaps three or four) during his recent VFL stint.

Sure he played mid field but don't expect a like for like replacement with Garlett. If anything JKH has demonstrated at AFL level that deep forward is not his thing.

PS... I forgot Viney as a possible out due to injury ... (why does my MFCSS fear the MRP as well)

Edited by Diamond_Jim

Could be up to 4 changes.

Wagner in for Salem

One of Kennedy, Kennedy-Harris or Kent in for Garlett. Personally I hope Kennedy as both Kent & JKH have already had opportunities at senior level this year.

Watts in but for who? Do we make it like for like and bring him in for one of Oscar, Pedo or Hannan or instead does he come in for someone like Bugg, Nibbler or Stretch?

Then Viney in some doubt. But I expect him to play. If he were to miss one of the two who misses out on Garlett's spot could come in, or whoever was to make way for Watts.

So many options for once......

26 minutes ago, McQueen said:

That's the biggest question. Obviously Viney has his shoulder concern, Hannan was a bit proppy on that hip complaint and Hibberd got thru okay but his Hammy is still a concern given another short break.

If we can get this win against the Swans, the boys will have a decent 9 day rest before taking on the Blues. I'm mindful though of Goodwin saying we won't risk anyone so there could be a couple more forced changes on top of Salem and Garlett.

But at this stage, it's fairly straight forward with Watts and JKH the logical replacements.

I am more worried about the blues than the swans

It must be just me 

Danger game

I watched half of the box hill game and kent still looks disinterested to me. Some very lazy kicks.

Id love to see benken in for jeffy and either white or wagner for salem. Wagners kicking has been horrendous at afl level, so maybe whites turn.

If watts is ready straight swap for anb.

• Like 1

Kent is a more logical replacement for Garlett than JKH. JKH has been racking them up as a midfielder, if & when he is bought back this is where he should play & Kent also has the potential to hit the scoreboard more often which will be crucial.. Wanger seems the most likely fit for Salem but HBF is an easy spot to cover between Lewis/Vince we can cover him.

At this stage for me.

IN: Kent, Watts (Wagner if Watts is not fit)

Out: Salem, Garlett

28 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Sydney should roll us with all our injuries, will be yet another great win if we do beat them.

Simple. To the point. Contains everything that we need to know. As long as we have a dip, I won't be slitting my wrists if we lose to Swans. 

With the outs and short break, and the fact we haven't played well at the G. Swans are flying.

For selection. Wags in and JKH for Salem Garlett are obvious. JKH has been getting his defensive forward grooming, so he's a natural pick.

I just can't figure out the Watts one. I feel like it's possible we'll go in with Watts for Jeffy. Only because I can't see a name that can come out anywhere. Stretch maybe, Harmes maybe. Both would be brutal as they played will. Harmes particularly was around it a lot. ANB did a sterling job as a negator as well. Does the fact he had 10 less touches mean he comes out?

Regardless, it's going to be another week where we have a player that HAS to play, but we have no room for.

I don't think the Swans are that fantastic - they were 30 points down against Richmond and conceded 7 straight goals to Essendon, defensively they are not as good as they once were. if we bring our best we can still win, injuries or not.

• Like 2

For those talking of replacements for Garlett (and possibly Viney), this from the article linked to in the comments above:

Gawn expected small forward Jeff Garlett (hamstring) to be fine to face the Swans and he doesn't expect courageous co-captain Jack Viney (shoulder) to be in any doubt either.

"He'll need his shoulder off the bone to miss a Friday night game," Gawn said.

Gawn expected small forward Jeff Garlett (hamstring) to be fine to face the Swans and he doesn't expect courageous co-captain Jack Viney (shoulder) to be in any doubt either.

"He'll need his shoulder off the bone to miss a Friday night game," Gawn said.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DSP said:

I watched half of the box hill game and kent still looks disinterested to me. Some very lazy kicks.

Id love to see benken in for jeffy and either white or wagner for salem. Wagners kicking has been horrendous at afl level, so maybe whites turn.

If watts is ready straight swap for anb.

If it was the same half I saw then I agree, his kicking at times was terrible.

In saying that he seems to be like a first up horse, runs well (plays well) first up then needs another spell to get the intensity back. 

Whoever comes in, massive massive tasks this week. Swannies full of confidence, virtually no injuries and most in form team in comp and can match us inside for sustain intensity. 

Edited by Cards13
because my first line made zero sense at all

I have a feeling Goodwin is playing Hogan's return down. It would not surprise me if he plays, but they'll keep it low key to try and relief some of the pressure. 

Not sure how we are going to cover so many injuries. There are only so many B grade players you can carry before it really starts to hurt. Losing Salem and possibly Jeffy is massive, that's a lot of class we can't just find in the VFL. 

• Like 1