Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trading Brayshaw?

Demonland

I can't understand, that in the best season of AFL footy in decades, commentators and posters are talking about trades, free agents and drafting. 

How about we get excited about this season, which is the the most even season in years.   No one knows who is going to win each week and 13 teams have a chance of making finals.

Leave all the other stuff for the off season. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bossdog said:

I can't understand, that in the best season of AFL footy in decades, commentators and posters are talking about trades, free agents and drafting. 

How about we get excited about this season, which is the the most even season in years.   No one knows who is going to win each week and 13 teams have a chance of making finals.

nope.

the trading, free agents, and drafting is an incredible important part of each season - it's the perfect additional component to the football, as opposed to the peptides scandal

one eye on the present, one eye on the future and all that

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 1

Buckenara would love too see Brayshaw at his beloved Hawthorn . 

One of our most important players in Neville Jetta had a six week spell for conccusion issues a few seasons  back . 

No way would i trade brayshaw unless He requested the trade and then it would have to deliver something that gets Josh Kelly to our club . 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DominatrixTyson said:

Would we trade Dom Tyson for an outside running player like Zak Jones or Johannisen? How much of a ceiling do people place in Doms future? It seems to be far lower than Brayshaw given a lot of the talk about Dom's disposal, and yet Gus can't even get on the park. 

He has been great no way hose'

10 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

could you post a link, i'd like to read please, cheers

I couldn't find the exact link. But in my searches I found the below link which I found interesting regarding a Dentist who invented a mouthguard which can help reduce concussions in certain instances.

While I'm sure they would need to do long term tests, I would hope the club is exploring the different options available for Gus.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/300909-nfl-congressional-testimony-to-include-published-mouth-guard-data

• Like 2

Would we consider putting tom McDonald and our first round pick on the table for josh Kelly given the development of oscar and frost, and tom sort of being in limbo 

the giants could use a key back like that. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Hmmm, pick 18 for Gus in a heartbeat.  Really?

Gus is a pick 3 talent who is in his third year and has suffered concussion issues.  Unless his concussion issues dramatically reduce his value (and lets for the moment assume they don't) he is just as valuable now if not more so than when we drafted him.

Firstly he has demonstrated he can play good AFL football (we know all too well that early picks, even the first 3, can fail).  His first year was very impressive.  Secondly he has now got (3) preseasons under his belt, his body has matured and he's a lot closer to producing quality football than a first round draft pick. We've added significant IP and body development to him - why would we sell him for less than we paid?

Roos and Hawthorn have shown that first rounders - particularly later ones - are very overrated.  If Brayshaw is traded it won't be for a draft pick it will be for a player we want and who is more value to us than Brayshaw.  And Brayshaw's good so we are talking a quality footballer.

If his concussion issues are a significant deterrent to others the selling price won't compensate us and he'll stay.  I like him but if he was part of a trade that got us closer to a flag I'd deal.  It has to be someone of Whitfield or Kelly's ilk, anything less is just nonsense. 

Gus can play good football no doubt. He has flaws though, one of which is awareness. He has some similarities to Daniel Bell there. Can turn the ball over switching back into the dangerous corridor because he just doesn't 'see' the opposition. Gets hit somewhat innocuously and gets concussed - perhaps because of his awareness. Don't get me wrong he is a much better player than Bell but some of his traits push me towards letting him go if we were offered a 1st rounder - which I don't believe we would get in any case.

Some here sprout nonsense with regard to player movements. The club was happy to let Trengove go for pick 12 if not for the Richmond medicos.

For me its about the club. That's what I support. Players come and go. I support them while they are with us but its a business where loyalty is not what is espoused on this forum. And its a 2 way street.

So would I be sad to see Gus go? Yes. But would I be happier for team success? yes. Most here were happy for Howe to go. He is likely to be All Australian this year. But is it better for the team that he went? Absolutely IMO.

This current administration has shown themselves to be very adept at managing player contracts, player movements and I am happy at this point to back them in their judgements.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Abe said:

Would we consider putting tom McDonald and our first round pick on the table for josh Kelly given the development of oscar and frost, and tom sort of being in limbo 

No we wouldn't. 

11 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Gus can play good football no doubt. He has flaws though, one of which is awareness. He has some similarities to Daniel Bell there. Can turn the ball over switching back into the dangerous corridor because he just doesn't 'see' the opposition.

j-mac, that happened once didn't it? i love brayshaw and hope he gets back, but if i were to highlight a flaw of his its that he is a bit slow & can get caught with the ball at times.. i would argue that a positive of his skill-set is his awareness. that kick back into the corridor against the hawks was an aberration. 

3 hours ago, Bossdog said:

With all due respect...many other threads doing just that.

This goes to list management and those chaps work ALL year.

I see nothing wrong with a sidebar.

2 hours ago, CityDee said:

Buckenara would love too see Brayshaw at his beloved Hawthorn

Would that be to play vid games with Omeara ? :rolleyes:

Sarcy i admit. Not without some probability though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Abe said:

Yep I would trade Tmac for Lever or an Isacc Smith. Gotta be done this year, Brett Anderson reckons next year's draft will be super and no one will trade future picks. Just two small holes in our list that need filling IMO.

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

i wonder how much old mate was paid to provide such insight.. 

I'm surprised there wasn't a receipt instead of a signature at the bottom.

If Gus can get going without injury he will be an asset for the team. Next year will be the turning point for him. The club does not need to get Kelly as we will have plenty of mids available for next year in Maynard and J.Smith. The Weed should cement a position in the seniors next year,10 Kg more will do it. If King ( ruck/forward) and White (defender) can step up,that will added class to our team. JKH could become a nippy forward .O'Mac,Frost and Hibberd have improved our defence stocks.T'Mac becoming a versatile player. Gus should be given every chance to prove himself next year just out of respect.

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Would that be to play vid games with Omeara ? :rolleyes:

Sarcy i admit. Not without some probability though.

Dusty Brayshaw and already Mitchell all in the midfield bloody hawks will try man ! 

6 hours ago, CityDee said:

He has been great no way hose'

hose?  José. 

2 hours ago, ENYAW said:

If Gus can get going without injury he will be an asset for the team. Next year will be the turning point for him. The club does not need to get Kelly as we will have plenty of mids available for next year in Maynard and J.Smith. The Weed should cement a position in the seniors next year,10 Kg more will do it. If King ( ruck/forward) and White (defender) can step up,that will added class to our team. JKH could become a nippy forward .O'Mac,Frost and Hibberd have improved our defence stocks.T'Mac becoming a versatile player. Gus should be given every chance to prove himself next year just out of respect.

IF IF IF.....IF all these cards fall into place we will be unbeatable. IF IF IF 

21 hours ago, monoccular said:

I am thinking more of a parallel with Nev Jetta and his early concussions.  I think many thought that he was done and dusted  but patience, persistence, belief (self and club NB Roos) and hard work now sees him as an essential part of our team.

Hope Gus follows a similar trajectory. 

I had actually forgotten that Nev had some bad issues with concussions not too long ago. I hope he's been there for support with Gus telling him to keep working for it and have patience. Nev's had some heavy hits out there since that period so he's proof that it can be managed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deebug said:

No deal, and plus Jonesy loves Gus he would not be happy if we were to trade him.

Would Gus for Zac change ur view!??

7 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I couldn't find the exact link. But in my searches I found the below link which I found interesting regarding a Dentist who invented a mouthguard which can help reduce concussions in certain instances.

While I'm sure they would need to do long term tests, I would hope the club is exploring the different options available for Gus.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/300909-nfl-congressional-testimony-to-include-published-mouth-guard-data

Thank you, I hope the club is doing the right thing as well, I too think Gus has been unlucky more than anything but the cumulative effects are scary.

2 hours ago, monoccular said:

hose?  José. 

IF IF IF.....IF all these cards fall into place we will be unbeatable. IF IF IF 

Kath and kim