Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trenners in the Mix?

Demonland

i definitely think we will see Trengove fly over to Perth. But I don't think he will play. He will most likely be on the extended bench then the emergency list for Saturday night.

I think the three that will rotate more through the midfield will be Lewis, Melksham and Vince. I don't think this is a seamless replacement, we will miss Jones, but those three give the young midfield group some experience and direction against the Priddis' and Mitchels etc.

Goodwin has been terrific at switching up the midfield all year to keep intensity and the opposition guessing. Having Garlett and Hannan around the midfield contests adds speed and pressure at times. 

I just can't see us bringing in Trengove for what looks like a fast intense away game on Saturday night. He has been slugging away at VFL and should be rewarded but wouldn't want to see him get exposed with the amount of quick ball movement and outside run that Westcoast excel at especially at Domain.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

I'm thinking more that once the game settles down and West Coast realise they can't match it with us in contested ball, they'll back their skills and their knowledge of Subi and start playing keepings off. Mitchell knows a thing or two about that. Leading away from trenners, guys like Gaff will clean up.

Good response, thanks, I hadn't considered that aspect. If he tries a run with role on the outside ghee may risk getting worked out of it. 

I think the narrowness of subiaco will suit us. My theory is our zone works perfectly at Ethihad but we've been opened up a bit on the wider MCG allowing teams to get up the center. We play a zone with extra numbers at the ball then try and push up to defend and slow the ball while the numbers loop back. When teams go wide we can't get across quick enough. 

If this is the case I'm not sure the lack of pace will expose Trengove.  He'll sit in the contest at stoppages then have less width to cover in the zone than at the G. We won't be relying on him to loop around and or defence out the back, so i dont think his pace will be exposed.  In the longer ground his overhead work may even come in handy.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 2

Just now, deanox said:

Good response, thanks, I hadn't considered that aspect. 

I think the narrowness of subiaco will suit us. My theory is our zone works perfectly at Ethihad but we've been opened up a bit on the wider MCG allowing teams to get up the center. We play a zone with extra numbers at the ball then try and push up to defend and slow the ball while the numbers loop back. When teams go wide we can't get across quick enough. 

If this is the case I'm not sure the lack of pace will expose Trengove.  He'll sit in the contest at stoppages then have less width to cover in the zone than at the G. We won't be relying on him to loop around and or defence out the back, so i dont think his pace will be exposed.  In the longer ground his overhead work may even come in handy.

I like it.

The last sentence you went for there, you beat me to it. We've been talking about Trengove's weaknesses like this massive elephant in the room. The whole idea he's that slow he may as well not be out there. If Goody plays him, and he gets exposed, it's not like he can't do other roles. And it's not like he won't give 110%. He'll have nothing to lose out there.

I'm thinking about Goody's plan B, C etc... He's blown me away with some of his wacky moves that turned 4-5 goal deficits into wins. I reckon with Trenners, you take a little bit of Mitchell, mix in a touch of Stevie J... marinate in a bowl of early Ablett jr. Start him off the bench... at the first midfield rotation, you give him the job on Mitchell. You give him ten minutes to run with him. As the game plays out, you wait and see if he can nullify or get his own ball. Do your sums. If we're breaking even there, or winning, you let him keep the job. If he starts getting exposed, then you slide him deep forward. They had this role earmarked for Braysh before he got hurt. I reckon you'll see fireworks. He was always a smart operator up forward. Simplify his role.

My biggest fear then would be ALL our biggest fear, all season. If it's not our kicking inside fifty, it's the teams that rebound. It's painful every time. Trenners being the anti-rebound guy could potentially hurt us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chook said:

If Trengove plays AFL (which he deserves on form) and fails, we get resolution that a former captain is not up to it. If any other player plays and doesn't perform, they'll still have another chance. I reckon the closure we'll get if Trengove gets a chance and fails is worth the risk that he comes in and doesn't perform.

He may well perform.

He's as good as anyone playing a mid role at vfl level. Unlike many... he's performed well ( at times ) at AFL. He has ELITE thinking.

Obviously not everyone's cup of tea but if ever a game for a look see, this might be it.

• Like 2

Anyone at training who can verify trenners slowness over the ground? Or his inability to last 4 quarters?

His form at VFL seems to show he gets a lot a of the ball, would be interested in KC's opinion of wether he brings teammates into the play.

He always seemed popular with the playing group and I'd think if he was put in the squad his teammates would lift to support him.Would be interested in Satys view on that as I may have missed it.

I would like to see him used as he is on the list wether it's this week or later I trust the coaching team, they have their structures and tactics to consider.

10 minutes ago, Gawn's Beard said:

Goody has ruled Trenners out...

This makes me sad, even if just because there is no obvious reason he isn't in consideration. His VFL form appears good and VFL coaches reviews are positive. I assume Jack knows what's going on but out would be nice to have some clarity - it's almost like there is a secret.  Lack of pace can't be all it is. 

• Like 2

Me thinks his card's marked ! :mellow:

• Like 1

They following are excerpts from the MFC website about Jacks performance.  All are positive and suggest he should be in contention, except for this line "The great thing about him is that he accepts what’s given to him" which indicates they have told him he isn't hing to play AFL. It could also mean he is willing to play a variety of roles in the team. 

"Jack Trengove and Josh Wagner continued their strong form, pushing through the middle with 29 and 27 disposals respectively.", http://m.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-06-17/casey-makes-it-four-in-a-row 17 June, 2017

"Jack Trengove: He had 20 disposals, six tackles, four rebound 50s and kicked one goal. Jack continues to play at a really high level in the VFL. He’s been consistent and the pleasing thing about Jack is that he’s playing a number of different roles. The great thing about him is that he accepts what’s given to him. He continues to demand a high standard from his teammates and he provides strong leadership. We’re lucky to have Jack playing the way he is at VFL level. I thought his game on the weekend was very good again." http://m.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-06-15/vfl-player-review-round-eight 15 June 2017

"Jack Trengove: Jack had 28 possessions, including 10 contested possessions, four clearances and six tackles. He continues to really impress around his team-first actions and leadership at VFL level. He did a lot of work around the contest and I thought his ability to get the ball out, around the contest, was a highlight. Jack was also able to show some composed ball use, which allowed us to take the ball forward a number of times." http://m.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-06-07/vfl-player-review-round-seven 7 June, 2017

The Difference between VFL and AFL is massive now. 

That is the reality of the situation. 

If JT plays another game it will be off the interchange bench, and i doubt even that

but he will never come back in to replace a starting 18 midfielder. 

• Like 2

I wonder if he'd get another gig as a dfa ?  Doesnt look like he has any future at Melbourne now

12 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I wonder if he'd get another gig as a dfa ?  Doesnt look like he has any future at Melbourne now

I have read that both SA Clubs are interested, but i have no idea of the validity of the article

We have so many inside midfielders that he's up against it to get a look in barring a heap of injuries.

Jones has been playing more of a link up role from off the back of the square and Trenners is probably too slow to replace him. Billy Stretch would be more capable of playing Joney's role at the moment.

Does anyone have any insight into this mornings training? 

I have been stressing all week on how they all will have pulled up. They played hard last Sunday.

Jack Watts went to watch Aladdin last night with two girls either side of him drinking beers!!! He must be alright, but no talk of 150th... has he got any of hit mates/family tickets? etc. 

Is Gawn for Jones most likely? Nibbler is one that plays inside mid at VFL and plays it well. Lots of good half backs and T Mac will spend more time back this week, so Vince can play more mid time as well. 

Also, amazing news that Josh Kennedy is out! 

Total bollocks that shuey didn't get a week! If it was any other player at geelong beside Dangerfield, they would have stayed down and he would have copped a week. He ran straight through the ball...Takes you back to the debate about Lewis and Cripps... if he had a tougher jaw it wouldn't have been graded as such hard impact. 

Going into this game with an open mind... I don't actually mind if we lose because im not expecting us to win. Fascinating to see how we fair over there on a Saturday night.

Downloaded the west coast app this week in anticipation. They have been training for contested pressure situations all week. People are taking notice of us!!! 

Side note: need to be careful we don't pursue Jake lever too hard and deter Sam frost. He has the most attractive and athletic attributes of someone that size in the league. He is a must sign! Only 23 odd, could be anything. 

As always, go dees! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I have read that both SA Clubs are interested, but i have no idea of the validity of the article

I don't normally concern myself that much with what Dee players do after Melbourne but I'd like to see  Jack get an opportunity to kick on. ( not that he's left,,,   but he's always welcome  at the MFC ;)  )  Stirling lad 

• Like 1

In the same presser that Goody says he's not being considered this week, he says he'll be looked at in the weeks following. Jones is out 4-6. This thread will be revisited til he's back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

In the same presser that Goody says he's not being considered this week, he says he'll be looked at in the weeks following. Jones is out 4-6. This thread will be revisited til he's back.

I had a similar thought yesterday. I reckon he'll get a game in tbe next 2-3 weeks

Just now, binman said:

I had a similar thought yesterday. I reckon he'll get a game in tbe next 2-3 weeks

I think we all picked it. Subi scares everyone, including Goody. That and the 6 day breaks.

5 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I don't normally concern myself that much with what Dee players do after Melbourne but I'd like to see  Jack get an opportunity to kick on. ( not that he's left,,,   but he's always welcome  at the MFC ;)  )  Stirling lad 

Absolutely. I just wish he hadn't played with a busted leg for so long. Those who believed he could do no more damage should have been charged with negligence. 

I shall always believe it was an internal political decision that ruined his careeer

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

I think we all picked it. Subi scares everyone, including Goody. That and the 6 day breaks.

Something about the mythical 'fast deck' that dramtically increases the speed players can run and how quickly tbe ball can move end to end

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, binman said:

Something about the mythical 'fast deck' that dramtically increases the speed players can run and how quickly tbe ball can move end to end

Yup. And the simple fact they know the ground and we don't.

Same old story really. Kick the crap out of them in the guts and we will be there at the final siren. Let them run around without a contest and watch us get smashed. Noone's mentioned the JLT game we played them in. Even with Kennedy out they smashed us.

15 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yup. And the simple fact they know the ground and we don't.

Same old story really. Kick the crap out of them in the guts and we will be there at the final siren. Let them run around without a contest and watch us get smashed. Noone's mentioned the JLT game we played them in. Even with Kennedy out they smashed us.

??? Kennedy kicked 5 that night, plus we were within a couple of kicks with 5 minutes or so to go when they kicked a couple of cheap ones. From memory we also restricted the game time of our key players, while they ran pretty close to normal.

I wouldn't be taking too much notice of the JLT game at all.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yeah. I thought you'd make that reaction.

Firstly. My post isn't sentimental. Others might be, mine isn't. I'm concerned that just because we're doing well winning the hard ball, people think it'll come easily without Jones. I want to see a mature body in there that knows about extraction. He's no Jones, but then no one is. Yes, Olly, Tyson and Viney have been superb in there... and likely ANB will relish the opportunity to take over Jones' workload. But I don't trust ANB that much yet. Trengove might not be quick, but he does the in close stuff well, and has done it all year at VFL level.

Secondly. Stretch doesn't "have to play" whatever that means. He didn't set the world on fire earlier in the year. And hasn't done much since he went back. He's a tiny whippet-type player. If you want that, then get JKH who's laying tackles and getting heaps of the ball. And from what we can see, is taking on his coach's instructions about working defensively.

Thirdly. I'm not worried about Trengove playing 4 quarters. I'm worried about the uncontested game that West Coast can click into with runners and distributors like Gaff, Shuey, Hurn, Sheed, Yeo, McGovern, Jetta, Cripps, Shepherd, Lecras. Like it or not, our skills aren't as good as some sides... and I think West Coast can be lethal. I'm not concerned that Jack can't play out a game. I just worry that they'll man him up with someone that can run off him when we kick behinds, or turn it over.

They've been incredibly soft this year, and then out of nowhere last week smacked the Cats with brutal inside work that it seemed they'd forgotten. Priddis won a Brownlow, Sheed has broken out, Mitchell is a classic clearance gun, Shuey is an out and out star inside and outside. I see this as being closer to the Pies game. Which means we'll NEED the inside work of Trengove more than what anyone else we have left has offered.

Seems to me everyone's in one camp or another. One group say Gawn in Jones out. Some of us want to maintain list structure... So it's a mid. Preferably a Jones-clone. Failing that... someone that approximates a Jones-style game. Stretch doesn't. JKH doesn't either. Braysh is hurt. Kent's not a midfielder. Johnstone's not ready. Trengove isn't a sentimental choice... at least not for me. I think he's the best man for the job. Certainly for the 4-6 week job. He's on the list for a reason. And this is it.

You do make some interesting observations, but given current info is not in the frame! PF!

Edited by picket fence

9 minutes ago, picket fence said:

You do make some interesting observations, but given current info is not in the frame! PF!

Check the quote. He'll be looking at him in subsequent rounds. Jones is out for 4-6 (ie... 3). I reckon he'll get his go on the g.

37 minutes ago, Red and Blue realist said:

??? Kennedy kicked 5 that night, plus we were within a couple of kicks with 5 minutes or so to go when they kicked a couple of cheap ones. From memory we also restricted the game time of our key players, while they ran pretty close to normal.

I wouldn't be taking too much notice of the JLT game at all.  

You might not. I reckon the coaching department will. They're not the same kind of info you get as in season games... but they're not dead useless. Take us for example... if we played jkh and they wanted to know the role he plays, they only have his mid season games to look at. They'd be checking what he did in jlt definitely. It's usable tape.

And yeah I remember the game. They looked a lot better than us when the game was up for grabs. Yeah Kennedy is a big out, but they got the ball to him. I really rate their mids. Shuey, gaff, priddis, hutch is a great negator. Gaff in particular worries me. If I'm goody I get our quickest mid and tell him to run with gaff. Melksham maybe? I'm not sure how you shut down shuey. I would suggest maybe viney. At some point they're going to target olly. And when they do, we'll start to see a drop off. Unbelievable production regardless of age. I worry hutch goes to him.