Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jayden Hunt

biggestred

Already very special but will get seriously better in a much better side. How many meters gained last game 750 metres. This kid is seriously good, just stay bold, stay fast, stay Fit! 

• Like 6

Needs to tidy up his decison making/kicking. Too often he just bombs it and turns it over after a long run, but [censored] he's exciting to watch! With more maturity he'll learn to steady himself a bit more before letting off that kick inside 50. Love the way he attacks the game though with such confidence and flair. One of my favorites!

• Like 3

Rare combo of quick, hard, and prepared to take them on.  The line-breaker we have needed for so long.

His line breaking ability, and kick to a 60/40 contest is sometimes more valuable than the slow-play precise kicker IMO.

• Like 3

They were talking about hunt and johanisen on league teams, they were saying how jj pretty much gave up after being targeted by swans and brereton said if it was hunt that was targeted he would probably stop and have a scrap and roosy agreed said he is super competitive and loves the hard stuff 

• Like 8

On one hand, he does need to lower the eyes, on the other hand if Hogan was playing on Monday half those long bombs would've turned into shots on goal. 

Tim Watson, the idiot, praised Frost for doing the exact same kick he'd been bagging Hunt for all game. The difference was Pedo roved and kicked a goal. 

Also TMac's quarter time goal was from a Hunt long bomb. 

I like the way he's going, and from what I could tell Collingwood had most options covered on most of Hunt's inside 50's. 

I think Lyon and Lloyd were talking about the Swans targeting Hunt like they did JJ. I lol'd. Comparing chalk and granite. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Tim Watson, the idiot, praised Frost for doing the exact same kick he'd been bagging Hunt for all game. The difference was Pedo roved and kicked a goal. 

If you have a look at the replay you will see 2 out of 3 Hunt bombs ended up goals when Watson was bagging him.

If we get that return consistently he can bomb away till his hearts content as far as I'm concerned...

He kicks to the danger area, front and centre about 10 to 20 out from the square, just where defenders don't like it. Nowhere to hide.

They spoil in that zone it's an open invitation to small forwards.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

On one hand, he does need to lower the eyes, on the other hand if Hogan was playing on Monday half those long bombs would've turned into shots on goal. 

Also TMac's quarter time goal was from a Hunt long bomb. 

I like the way he's going, and from what I could tell Collingwood had most options covered on most of Hunt's inside 50's. 

I think Lyon and Lloyd were talking about the Swans targeting Hunt like they did JJ. I lol'd. Comparing chalk and granite. 

That was a much better kick because he kicked it to space to give our forwards a better chance. I love the kid and I reckon he could be an absolute star of the comp, once he starts lowering his eyes or looking for the space to kick into. He also had a fantastic opportunity to nail a great goal, so wanted him to kick it because you can see he loves snagging them!

5 hours ago, dee-tox said:

If he had Salem's kicking and decision making he'd be something else.

If he had Salem's kick he'd have been a top 20 pick.

To get production like that from a late pick, we're all pinching ourselves. I liken him a bit, actually, to Oliver. Different players obviously... But both were better value than where they were taken at the draft. Oliver right now is pick #1 over Weitering, Mills and Hipwood. In Hunt's draft year you have Bont, Kelly, Cripps who are the big three... then you can throw a blanket over Hunt and about 10 other names.

But more importantly, I wonder with both of these guys how they'll respond to the inevitable tag. When teams sus out that those two are among our most damaging players, how will they combat that, and how effective will they be? There's players you can tag but only rarely can beat. Judd, Ablett, Dangerfield have had taggers and played through them. I reckon both these guys have the game that is really difficult to stop. Oliver loves the indide stuff. I reckon you stop him, it frees up Jack, Jones, Tyson and others... He could probably be curtailed, but when your hands are that quick inside, how much effect will you have in the end? You can tag Sloane cos he needs his kick, and time to execute it, which opens a window for you to put body on him. Not so much Oliver.

Jayden's quick, sure, but it's his breakaway... what the Americans call "quickness" as opposed to "speed." I dunno how anyone can stop you when you've got a mark or free, are back lining up the kick, and you run off. If they get close to him laterally or on the mark, they risk giving away a fifty. With the current rules, he'll be running around guys and kicking long for the rest of his career. What makes him awesome is that he knows his limitations. Short kicks are a 50-50 chance to be turned over. So when you have a system, and players like Hogan and Garlett to kick to... he basically has an instant 70 metre add on. The effect across the ground is absolutely remarkable too. What Jayden does is puts doubt in the opposition minds. They have to get back so much quicker, and run so much harder because they know in a moment, we could go from a fifty-fifty contest, to having the ball inside fifty with 1 on 1s. Subsequently, when the rebound comes, they don't have numbers since they haven't had time to drift forward. Jayden might bomb it long, and ineffectively, but even if the defenders spoil (and that's a big if), the rebound options aren't there as normal.

I'll add as well, he's being coached sensationally. Great setup for what we have... coaching to players strengths, rather than making a game plan that players have to play in regardless of their abilities (Neeld).

• Like 8

Nothing wrong with bombing into forward 50 to a one on one, especially if it's a kick to advantage. 

I think the point is,  if he can carry the ball 20-30m then deliver deep inside forward 50 that's a win. We can set up high press. 

Alternative is he kicks from the mark and ball doesn't go deep inside forward 50. Or he passes to someone else, but then defenders are rushing back. 

I'm loving the run through the middle of the ground. Not just Hunt, but Frost, Hibberd, Tyson, Jones... great being a Dee right now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stretchyourself said:

Nothing wrong with bombing into forward 50 to a one on one, especially if it's a kick to advantage. 

I think the point is,  if he can carry the ball 20-30m then deliver deep inside forward 50 that's a win. We can set up high press. 

Alternative is he kicks from the mark and ball doesn't go deep inside forward 50. Or he passes to someone else, but then defenders are rushing back. 

I'm loving the run through the middle of the ground. Not just Hunt, but Frost, Hibberd, Tyson, Jones... great being a Dee right now

I think they're trying to avoid "shallow" entries into the f50, because they're too easy to intercept, and if they're intercepted, it's a bad place to turn it over.

If we're going to bomb it in, it's best if it's on a fast break and it has to be to within 20m of goal. As you say, at the very least that gives us a chance to set up a high press and lock it in. Preferably we get either a contested mark (in short supply at the moment, of course) or bring it to ground and score. If we lock it in, we can sustain pressure and score.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, brendan said:

They were talking about hunt and johanisen on league teams, they were saying how jj pretty much gave up after being targeted by swans and brereton said if it was hunt that was targeted he would probably stop and have a scrap and roosy agreed said he is super competitive and loves the hard stuff 

Couldn't agree more. Hunt and JJ have only one thing in common - pace. Hunt is hard as all hard - happy to take the ball and run and just as happy to bash into a contest. JJ is pretty much outside.

The difference between acceleration and speed is the key for Hunt, as with Dangerfield, Johannisen etc... Their first three steps give them 1-2 metres on their opponents which is basically impossible to counter. But it is Hunt's toghness that has surprised me. He loves to hurt the opposition when he tackles, he loves a run down chase and he is one of the first in with Viney if a scuffle breaks out. 

His kicking might only improve 10-15%, but with Petracca & Hogan's strength, and Jeffy crumbing, the bombing is about 60/40 effective if it is done quickly enough.

• Like 2

Hunts blistering run and carry prior to a long kick is a potent weapon because the defences become disorganised back tracking to adjust. Makes it harder for the spare defender to get into intercept position.  As long as he gets the ball to a contest it's a win. 

Did I hear right on 360 when Lewis said he was only 69kg when he first came to the club? And is now up to low 80's?

Re hitting targets on the run, both he and ANB (? pretty sure it was ANB) were off to the side at one point during last Saturdays training doing a drill that looks to specifically address this.

Have to laugh at so many media pundits putting a big price tag on Johanisen when to me Hunt is a much better and more aggressive player.

The amount of time JJ turns the ball over is ridiculous for someone valued so highly 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

Already very special but will get seriously better in a much better side. How many meters gained last game 750 metres. This kid is seriously good, just stay bold, stay fast, stay Fit! 

How, exactly, are the metres gained measured? For example, and using simple numbers so we can use Pythagoras's Theorem, if a player 40 metres left of the centre of the ground (ie, towards the wing) kicks the ball 50 metres towards CHF, does that count as 50 metres gained (the hypotenuse) or 30 metres (the direct line from the centre)? 

• Like 2

Disagree with the long bombs.

Sometimes, it's necessary to hit up short and there were a few occasions on the weekend where there was a shorter option inside 50 who would then have had a shot on goal rather than hoping for a spillage. Sometimes he kicked to the fat-side where collingwood had outnumbered us. Those situations can actually be more dangerous due to the risk of a quick counter from the opposition.

Pendlebury's first kick to Greenwood is the perfect example. He kicked to space and to the advantage of three collingwood players and Greenwood was the one who marked. He didn't just bomb long in hope.

I can't whinge because of the enormous value we got for a pick that late and I love every other aspect of his game. I understand Pendle's has sublime skills. But my point is that anyone can kick to space and lower the eyes. Pendles kick was smart and composed more than anything.

I also like that he becomes visibly annoyed with himself when something doesn't come off. He is a super competitor and clearly wants to improve. Can't wait until he hits 100 games.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 2

The fact he has this out of the box acceleration has interesting knock on effects. Firstly, his team mates expect it with greater familiarity, and either set up to take the give-and-go handball, or marshall for the long bomb, mark or crumb. The more they play together, the more this becomes a system that is almost impossible to combat. The bigger benefit is that he creates panic defence in the opposition, much like Petracca and Jeffy are doing, where despite knowing they can't catch him, they'll chase and try to limit his running line, thus coming off their man and allowing the chain of uncontested linking handballs that Hunt is so often a part of. It's an exceptional talent, and we haven't seen the best of it yet methinks. Also, he's as hard as a cat's head.

• Like 6