Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Casey Demons v Collingwood VFL

KC from Casey

Neither Kent nor Kennedy will be delisted. Both showed they are too good for VFL. Even a lathargic Kent looks too good when he actually tries. Kennedy might find a new home, but he is a best 44 player. Maybe the 22-25 at most clubs but he'll find a home. 

I can see why trenners isn't getting a game. He's great and does all the right things but there is something not there. 

JKH looked so much better than he did earlier this season. 

Wagner and Weiderman stood out for me as yeah I can see you playing top level afl football for a long time. I'm not a Wagner fan but today might have converted me. 

Stretch just seems like he's missing something. I don't think he's an in and under player yet seems to always end up there. Knows how to find the football. 

Spencer didn't overwhelm me with confidence. If we didn't have a ruck problem I'd keep him at casey for another week. 

Put their hand up - Wagner, Weid, JKH, then throw a blanket over Stretch, Kennedy, Spence and I thought Kent woke up in the second half and had an influence. 

• Like 4

Beat Collingwood today.  Do it again on Monday.  Twice in three days!  That would be my idea of a wonderful few days of footy!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

and that was about all he did.

for $500k a year for four years for a 30 year old, i personally would want a lot more than a player who can kick four goals in the vfl

The thing is, he is capable of doing it in the AFL as well.

Maynard is another interesting prospect. Whilst not as clear as Oliver (not in the same ballpark) but he seemed to always have his hands first to the ball, huge body, and just extracted the ball. Still learning how to not give away free kicks but I'd hate to be against him and Oliver at a centre bounce. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Stretch and Wagner very good and very AFL interchangeable. Weid much better today. Maynard looks a real prospect. 

Yeah, Maynard is aggressive, a great size, and really gets involved.  Dished off some really good handballs.

There's a bit to tidy up, but looks a prospect.

Wagner better than VFL level and Weideman grew in confidence.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chook fowler said:

I didn't see it that way -  got some possessions but wasn't damaging with them IMO. But happy to be proven wrong. Kent seems to have no spark and looks slow and disinterested.

Agree on both accounts. Kennedy can get the ball but his disposal continually lets him down. Just a battler for mine. At one stage Campbell Brown described Kent as a tackling machine. Barely laid a tackle all year. Needs to become a tackling machine if he wants to get back in the team.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dee-licious said:

Neither Kent nor Kennedy will be delisted. Both showed they are too good for VFL. Even a lathargic Kent looks too good when he actually tries. Kennedy might find a new home, but he is a best 44 player. Maybe the 22-25 at most clubs but he'll find a home. 

I can see why trenners isn't getting a game. He's great and does all the right things but there is something not there. (AGE AND SPEED)

JKH looked so much better than he did earlier this season. 

Wagner and Weiderman stood out for me as yeah I can see you playing top level afl football for a long time. I'm not a Wagner fan but today might have converted me. 

Stretch just seems like he's missing something. I don't think he's an in and under player yet seems to always end up there. Knows how to find the football. 

Spencer didn't overwhelm me with confidence. If we didn't have a ruck problem I'd keep him at casey for another week. 

Put their hand up - Wagner, Weid, JKH, then throw a blanket over Stretch, Kennedy, Spence and I thought Kent woke up in the second half and had an influence. 

Some players are better players in higher standards. Especially Weiderman & Stretch who rely on delivery and outside ball to them.

Kent looks unfit and disinterested.

Kennedy needs to get out of second gear. Spencer just needed a run. He'll more than likely come back in, given then Dogs will have Morris Boyd and Libba back. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vagg said:

Beat Collingwood today.  Do it again on Monday.  Twice in three days!  That would be my idea of a wonderful few days of footy!

Barrie - always good to beat them. September 1964 bring back memories? ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bates Mate said:

Channel 7 bought the vhs Sony handy cam to broadcast today's game. Facebook live would be better quality

So much negativity on Demonland.  They use that for the AFL also.  Please, let's at least give them some credit for being consistent!

P.S.  There's a Facebook live?

• Like 1

The main thing I took from the game is that Weid isnt far off from tearing games apart at VFL level.  He was involved in a lot action and threw himself into contests. He was inches away from having a really great game. Once he starts clunking those marks, look out.

Hes a 19 year old KPF in his second season and the signs are promising.

• Like 12

Statistics 

Liam Hulett 3 kicks 2 handballs 5 disposals 1 marks 2 tackles 2 hit outs 24 dream team points
Dion Johnstone 1 goals 7 kicks 4 handballs 11 disposals 2 marks 8 tackles 74 dream team points 
Declan Keilty 1 behind 4 kicks 5 handballs 9 disposals 2 marks 7 tackles 15 hit outs 72 dream team points 
Ben Kennedy 15 kicks 13 handballs 28 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 100 dream team points
Jay Kennedy-Harris 8 kicks 5 handballs 13 disposals 1 marks 6 tackles dream 61 team points
Dean Kent 2 goals 1 behind 13 kicks 9 handballs 22 disposals 4 marks 6 tackles 1 hit out 102 dream team points
Corey Maynard 1 goal 3 behinds 9 kicks 13 handballs 22 disposals 3 marks 8 tackles 94 dream team points
Tim Smith 1 goal 1 behind 4 kicks 5 handballs 9 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 50 dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 behind 3 kicks 5 handballs 8 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 35 hit outs 68 dream team points
Billy Stretch 2 goals 6 kicks 18 handballs 24 disposals 1 mark 6 tackles 90 dream team points
Jack Trengove 1 goal 7 kicks 12 handballs 19 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 82 dream team points
Josh Wagner 1 goal 12 kicks 15 handballs 27 disposals 6 marks 1 tackles 88 dream team points
Sam Weideman 2 goals 3 behinds 13 kicks 8 handballs 21 disposals 8 marks 4 hit outs 99 dream team points
Mitch White 16 kicks 2 handballs 18 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 71 dream team points

• Like 2

One of the (small) positives in those stats is the 2 goals to Stretch. Plapp commented last week that it was a shame that he hadn't finished off his work (3 points I believe). 

Also, handy game from Weiderman. Big second half of the season ahead? Perhaps this is where the baptism of fire in the AFL starts paying dividends.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:
Today's stats are out

Liam Hulett 3 kicks 2 handballs 5 disposals 1 marks 2 tackles 2 hit outs 24 dream team points
Dion Johnstone 1 goals 7 kicks 4 handballs 11 disposals 2 marks 8 tackles 74 dream team points 
Declan Keilty 1 behind 4 kicks 5 handballs 9 disposals 2 marks 7 tackles 15 hit outs 72 dream team points 
Ben Kennedy 15 kicks 13 handballs 28 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 100 dream team points
Jay Kennedy-Harris 8 kicks 5 handballs 13 disposals 1 marks 6 tackles dream 61 team points
Dean Kent 2 goals 1 behind 13 kicks 9 handballs 22 disposals 4 marks 6 tackles 1 hit out 102 dream team points
Corey Maynard 1 goal 3 behinds 9 kicks 13 handballs 22 disposals 3 marks 8 tackles 94 dream team points
Tim Smith 1 goal 1 behind 4 kicks 5 handballs 9 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 50 dream team points
Jake Spencer 1 behind 3 kicks 5 handballs 8 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 35 hit outs 68 dream team points
Billy Stretch 2 goals 6 kicks 18 handballs 24 disposals 1 mark 6 tackles 90 dream team points
Jack Trengove 1 goal 7 kicks 12 handballs 19 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 82 dream team points
Sam Weideman 2 goals 3 behinds 13 kicks 8 handballs 21 disposals 8 marks 4 hit outs 99 dream team points
Josh Wagner 1 goal 12 kicks 15 handballs 27 disposals 6 marks 1 tackles 88 dream team points
Mitch White 16 kicks 2 handballs 18 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 71 dream team points

Strong games from Weid and Maynard, great to see. 

Hulett is disappointing at the moment. Hopefully he picks up a bit of form as the season wears on.

Only saw the last quarter an a half. Agree on the Kent commentary, which I'm a bit disappointed in as I really like his game and the speed he brings. Thought Moncrieff was really good, I really liked what I saw from him.

Ben Ken tried to square one to Trenners in the last qtr from a set shot on the flank, kick was too short and turned over. Not sure if the sun was a factor, but would have liked him to take the shot.

why was JKH in his tracksuit? Emergency for Monday?

Edited by small but forward
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, old dee said:

My God you are old mono!!

There are a lot of us who remember that day. Slept outside the ground for the whole week prior to the G.F. "T section" was alive that day. What with the function after the game and Sunday, finally got home Sunday night. Brother and I had a great time even if he does barrack for Collywobles.

Got a rare look at Casey and my thoughts:

Jack Trengove - made a few bad kicking errors in defence but was generally neat and composed and still has bit of class.  Without any speed and a middling inside game, he is limited and it would be impossible to pick him in the same side as Vince and Lewis.

Billy Stretch - I thought was a solid game gathering a fair bit of it both inside and out and generally OK with his ball use and decision making.  Lacked a cutting edge to his game but still handy in reserve.

Dean Kent - looks unfit/carrying condition and definitely looks injured (playing like he has lower back issues, could barely stretch for marks and was very upright when attacking the ball at ground level.)  He had some good moments but if you were watching the game in isolation you would say he is a long way off his best AFL form.

Jay Kennedy-Harris - won a fair bit of it in the first half and was probably in the best four or five Scorpions to half time before being sacrificed to be the holdover on Monday.  Probably a better midfielder than he is a crumbing forward but probably too small to play that role at AFL level.

Sam Weideman - over four quarters played really well.  He is still so light that his best moments are Jack Watts type pieces of play, leading up to the ball carrier and being a link man.  I think he had a direct hand in five goals with his ground level play, (the bit of play to set up Lewis-Smith's goal was exceptional)and could have kicked five or six himself.  Still a fair way off being a consistent AFL key forward because he can't take compete physically to take the dominant marks fan crave, but this game suggests he is on the right track.  Probably needs to be shielded from AFL footy for a while to build confidence and strength.

Liam Hulett - where Weideman's game gives cause for optimism, Hulett's does the polar opposite. I thought he looked a likely type last year but he was practically invisible for much of the game today and when he was involved he looked rigid and trickless and unable to make anything of half chances.  I don't know if he is playing injured but he seems to have a lost a yard of pace compared to last year and didn't seem to be able to present to contests in a meaningful way.

Jake Spencer - fair task for him to come in and first ruck off lengthy break and he was serviceable without bashing the door down.  It's going to be an interesting conundrum for the selectors whether to bring him or not off an OK game where he rucked manfully but had no other influence.

Ben Kennedy - was very busy and played with more adventure than most, to be one of the Scorps better and more damaging players.  Again just lacked that bit of polish to be confident he could be anything more than a serviceable AFL contributer.

Dion Johnstone - did some good things in a very blue collar crumbing forward type game. He harrasses and competes really well and he kicks with penetration.  The query on him is whether he, like a few others, has the tricks and craft to be able cause trouble for defenders at ground level and hit the scoreboard.  I don't think a good finals-type AFL side can play a purely negating forward.  Worth persevering though.

Tim Smith - coming back from injury he had a few meaningful moments before getting injured in particular a quality centre clearance and some good leading patterns up forward. Not sure there is enough athleticism/tricks there?

Mitch White - I thought he was excellent and looked a bit quicker than usual. He probably didn't win that much of the football, but his kicking off half back was flawless to my eye and his composure and consistency though the game was very good, including some very important contest wins.  Problem for him is that he is in a crowded position group on the list and he is probably too good for VFL footy and maybe lacks the athleticism for AFL.  I went into the game thinking he was probably the lowest ranked player on our rookie list and perhaps the entire list, but he's definitely a better player than that.

Josh Wagner - best on ground - brilliant reading of the role of the rebounding half-back  - defended well, offered run, was creative with his kicking.  His AFL form this year has been  below his play of last year, maybe he was recalled too quick off injury but this was a game of a player who can step it up a notch next he gets a chance.

Declan Keilty - he was a decent contributer. He competed well and has frame that will always keep his opponent honest.  As a ruck/forward seems a bit limited too me and maybe he will best as a key back.

Corey Maynard - hard at it, works hard and is tough.  Certainly worth persevering with.  I don't think he will let anyone down in the intent stakes and with the competitiveness, it's just whether he has the skill level and the hands in close to be able to make it at the level above.

Overall, I though Wagner and White looked a class above there team-mates and Weideman the most promising.  

Those three and Cox and Blair (can't believe I typed that) for Collingwood seemed to be the only genuine AFL standard players on the ground going purely off that game.

Edited by goodoil
  • Like 16

19 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Well done Waggers. Harshly dropped and didn't sook, just killed it. 

Great to have Speno back to dominate the rock against the dogs next week

I agree that it's great that he dominated, but attitude-wise I think we need to raise the bar a bit higher than "didn't sook". It should be a given that players don't sook when demoted.  

• Like 1