Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Coburg v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

1 minute ago, chook fowler said:

48 disposals and 144 Dream team points is a pretty fair effort by any standard methinks.

Statistically it's a great game but I didn't see it.  He could have butchered the ball by foot, missed handballs, made poor decisions, and dropped chest marks.  But I don't know, because I didn't see it.

I don't put too much emphasis on it, because I'm very familiar with Jay as a player and his AFL games this year have been putrid.

We want all our players performing to their best ability and if he has on Sunday that's great.

I've previously said JKH is finished at AFL level. He'll have to do a lot more than play one great game at VFL level. Put that together consistently for starters.

Edited by A F

15 minutes ago, A F said:

I've previously said JKH is finished at AFL level. He'll have to do a lot more than play one great game at VFL level. Put that together consistently for starters.

You probably said that about Neville Jetta once....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Drunkn167 said:

To anyone who was at the game, how did Keilty go?

I went yesterday and here is a quick summary of the MFC players.  Just a quick observation on the game.  The conditions were perfect but the game was just a scrap.  There were very few good passages of play with ball use generally poor and nobody seemed to be able to find space.  This may or may not be a valid observation.  I usually watch games from a reasonable elevation and I watched this game from boundary side and I think that taints things.  I wasn't a great example of Aussie rules.

Trengove:  I hardly noticed him in the first half but his second half seemed very good to me.  Got a fair bit of it and used it well and was clean.

Smith: Very quiet.  First game back and just couldn't get into it.  It was a perfect day for footy yesterday and it was disappointing that none of our big men were able to take a grab.

Keilty:  I thought I might have been standing next to you yesterday Drunkn because in the first few minutes Dec dropped a chest mark and the bloke standing next to me just said "Oh Dec".  He moved into the ruck in the second half and was pretty useful and he did a few nice things around the ground but overall I was a little disappointed.  I saw a fair bit of him last year and thought he was very good and I was expecting to see a big improvement now he is a full time footballer but neither he or Smith have taken a step IMO.  Keep in mind this is my first match of the year for Casey and one game doesn't define a season.

Johnstone:  Unsighted in the first half but worked into the game very nicely and showed some good speed and intensity which created one goal in the last quarter which was good return for effort.  And boy can this kid kick it long!  He's a mile away from a game but I reckon yesterday's second half showed why he was drafted.

Kent:  Our best player in the first half but faded in the second.  Showed his strength and speed at times and played a bit on ball.  Is he a tweener?  Too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL?  He's got some serious competition for a spot in the seniors.

Stretch:  Like DJ I was a little underwhelmed and Billy is one of my favourites.  He couldn't seem to find space yesterday but he used the ball pretty well when given a chance and ran and worked hard.

Weideman:  Looks completely out of form and touch to me.  Couldn't clunk anything and couldn't get involved in the game.  He went into the ruck in the last half and at least got to run around a bit but he played the same way in the VFL as the AFL.  Looks a mile away at the moment.

White:  Strong and servicable and a bit good for this level but by the same token isn't pushing for a game in the seniors.

Kennedy Harris:  Played midfield and got a lot of it in tight.  Judging by his stats he was very busy but there weren't many highlights in his play.  There's no way I would have thought he got as much of the ball as the stats say but I'm glad he's had such a prolific game.  IMO he was promoted to the seniors far too quickly which did him no favours. Would be interesting to see how he goes in the seniors when in form.

Kennedy:  Was a typical Kennedy game except he kicked it well for goal.  He was tough in the packs and used his pace well to find space a few times. 

Hulett:  I've always liked him but yesterday was just a game.  Couple of quick goals were good but just not involved enough.  He is a nice kick and can take a good grab on occasions.

Anyone else?  Let me know.  There were a couple of likely types for Casey.  I liked 25

particularly - Gordon?  Had a touch of the Michael Johnson's about him.  Tall and rangey with a good left foot that occasionally let him down but promising nonetheless.  One to keep an eye on.

Oh, and a note.  Don't join MFC/Casey as a ruck.  Gawn, Spencer, Flipper, King all gone and poor old Gach Nyuon did his ankle in the first quarter, had it strapped but couldn't go on much after that.

• Like 16

I wonder how many dream team points JT has to rack up to get in the best players named? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vogon Poetry said:

I went yesterday and here is a quick summary of the MFC players.  Just a quick observation on the game.  The conditions were perfect but the game was just a scrap.  There were very few good passages of play with ball use generally poor and nobody seemed to be able to find space.  This may or may not be a valid observation.  I usually watch games from a reasonable elevation and I watched this game from boundary side and I think that taints things.  I wasn't a great example of Aussie rules.

Could not agree more. The better passages of play if anything came from Coburg. Casey were just stronger round the packs that allowed them to kick a few more goals.

Amazed at the reports from frequent attendees at VFL as it it really is quite hard to get an idea of the game from fence level. I tended to move to the ends to which Casey were kicking which allowed me to follow the forward play a little better.

One thing I will add is that Trengrove is definitely lacking pace. On a couple of occasions his opponent ran away from him rather too easily.

Coburg is a lovely ground and it was a pity that there were not more Demon supporters there on what was a beautiful winter's day. Coburg's colours are red and blue which made for lots of red and blue in the crowd. Like their theme song to the tune of "California here I Come." Other than the craft beer and coffee neither of which I tried I was disappointed by the food offerings.... just the standard pies and hot dogs.

Edited by Diamond_Jim

1 hour ago, ProDee said:

Statistically it's a great game but I didn't see it.  He could have butchered the ball by foot, missed handballs, made poor decisions, and dropped chest marks.  But I don't know, because I didn't see it.

I don't put too much emphasis on it, because I'm very familiar with Jay as a player and his AFL games this year have been putrid.

We want all our players performing to their best ability and if he has on Sunday that's great.

I guess it showed he was getting near the ball which has been his problem in the past. He's like one of those Jack Dyer players who is always where the ball aint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Trengove:  I hardly noticed him in the first half but his second half seemed very good to me.  Got a fair bit of it and used it well and was clean.

Smith: Very quiet.  First game back and just couldn't get into it.  It was a perfect day for footy yesterday and it was disappointing that none of our big men were able to take a grab.

Keilty:  I thought I might have been standing next to you yesterday Drunkn because in the first few minutes Dec dropped a chest mark and the bloke standing next to me just said "Oh Dec".  He moved into the ruck in the second half and was pretty useful and he did a few nice things around the ground but overall I was a little disappointed.  I saw a fair bit of him last year and thought he was very good and I was expecting to see a big improvement now he is a full time footballer but neither he or Smith have taken a step IMO.  Keep in mind this is my first match of the year for Casey and one game doesn't define a season.

Johnstone:  Unsighted in the first half but worked into the game very nicely and showed some good speed and intensity which created one goal in the last quarter which was good return for effort.  And boy can this kid kick it long!  He's a mile away from a game but I reckon yesterday's second half showed why he was drafted.

Kent:  Our best player in the first half but faded in the second.  Showed his strength and speed at times and played a bit on ball.  Is he a tweener?  Too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL?  He's got some serious competition for a spot in the seniors.

Stretch:  Like DJ I was a little underwhelmed and Billy is one of my favourites.  He couldn't seem to find space yesterday but he used the ball pretty well when given a chance and ran and worked hard.

Weideman:  Looks completely out of form and touch to me.  Couldn't clunk anything and couldn't get involved in the game.  He went into the ruck in the last half and at least got to run around a bit but he played the same way in the VFL as the AFL.  Looks a mile away at the moment.

White:  Strong and servicable and a bit good for this level but by the same token isn't pushing for a game in the seniors.

Kennedy Harris:  Played midfield and got a lot of it in tight.  Judging by his stats he was very busy but there weren't many highlights in his play.  There's no way I would have thought he got as much of the ball as the stats say but I'm glad he's had such a prolific game.  IMO he was promoted to the seniors far too quickly which did him no favours. Would be interesting to see how he goes in the seniors when in form.

Kennedy:  Was a typical Kennedy game except he kicked it well for goal.  He was tough in the packs and used his pace well to find space a few times. 

Hulett:  I've always liked him but yesterday was just a game.  Couple of quick goals were good but just not involved enough.  He is a nice kick and can take a good grab on occasions.

Anyone else?  Let me know.  There were a couple of likely types for Casey.  I liked 25

particularly - Gordon?  Had a touch of the Michael Johnson's about him.  Tall and rangey with a good left foot that occasionally let him down but promising nonetheless.  One to keep an eye on.

Oh, and a note.  Don't join MFC/Casey as a ruck.  Gawn, Spencer, Flipper, King all gone and poor old Gach Nyuon did his ankle in the first quarter, had it strapped but couldn't go on much after that.

A comment about Corey Maynard?  I know statistics don't tell the story but for a convert from basketball he seems to be adapting well based on his numbers.

15 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

One thing I will add is that Trengrove is definitely lacking pace. On a couple of occasions his opponent ran away from him rather too easily.

Heart sinks a bit every time I read this in a report.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Theres definitely something to work with JKH, can see him being rookie listed if they want to delist him and make a spot on the main list.

Could be Jetta 2.0

In terms of the route he takes to becoming best 22? He's certainly nothing like him as a player.

3 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Gee not a lot to get excited about. Particularly as the Casey side won.

50 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

They were playing the side last on the ladder who are winless Jnr.

Our injuries have reduced Casey to a very ordinary side.

Get back a ruckman and one of the smiths plus a couple back from the seniors  etc and Casey will do a lot better side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dappa Dan said:

In terms of the route he takes to becoming best 22? He's certainly nothing like him as a player.

The path he might take ie.  re-rookie followed by career resurrection.   Obviously a completely different player to Jetta.

4 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

A comment about Corey Maynard?  I know statistics don't tell the story but for a convert from basketball he seems to be adapting well based on his numbers.

Corey Maynard:  Sorry, forgot him which is a pity because he was probably the one that I was most interested in seeing as I'd not seen him before.  Corey was workmanlike playing as an inside mid.  Clean with the ball and used it quite well but nothing to get excited about at this stage.  He's not played a lot in the last few weeks so with that in mind I'd give him a pass.

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

TBH jnrmac it was a game I came away from thinking we have a couple of depth players at Casey but not much else.  In the past I've gone to see Casey and there were always interest in the young blokes but there is little interest this year.  I was disappointed in the standard of play and didn't see much to enthuse.  Sorry to be so negative but that's just the way I saw it.

• Like 5

THE BIG MEN DON'T FLY by KC from Casey

The Casey Demons might be celebrating back to back victories but they were far from impressive in a routine 3 goal victory against winless Coburg at Piranha Park at the weekend. 

The game was in stark contrast to the last encounter between the sides at the same venue less than twelve months ago. Back then they were the Scorpions, chock full of experienced AFL listers and they monstered their hosts by 13 goals. It was certainly a different team way back then. The rucks that day were Jake Spencer and Cam Pedersen, there were two former MFC captains in the side, they several 100 gamers and up and coming youngsters like Clayton Oliver and Christian Salem racking up possessions.

This time around there were no real big men lining up for the now VFL Demons and that is probably the main reason why Casey has struggled this season. The curse of the big men has hit almost as much, if not more, than it has their Melbourne counterparts. The stories of Max Gawn and Jake Spencer are well documented. The club's other 200cm plus big men are young kids in Mitch King and Lochie Filipovic but they were both out ill and injured respectively. That left Casey listed first gamer Gach Nyuon but he lasted a quarter before succumbing to an ankle injury. This left the ruck work to 194cm Declan Keilty assisted by a slightly taller Sam Weideman but they were battling against the odds. Coburg won the hit outs by 66-33 but Casey had the edge in terms of on ballers who gave the team first use of the ball at stoppages despite the ruck imbalance.

Coburg began well but the accurate Demons managed to grab a four point lead late in the opening term and were never headed from then onwards. Small man Jay Kennedy-Harris dominated possession with 47 touches and eight tackles and he was ably assisted by Dean Kent who managed to get his hands on the ball 28 times in the midfield. Ben Kennedy was dangerous in attack with three goals and 23 disposals, while the consistent Jack Trengove again was solid with 30 possessions.

The game never rose to any great heights in an error riddled performance. The plucky Lions were persistent and did not allow Casey to break away after half time. The teams traded goal for goal in the the third quarter and again in the last. 

Coach Justin Plapp would be satisfied with the promise of some of his VFL charges. James Munro led the way with 27 possessions, 50 gamer Ed Morris finished with 23 disposals and a goal and skipper Jack Hutchins was also effective with 19 touches.  

Like their AFL counterparts, the VFL Demons have the opportunity to move into the top 8 if they can beat Collingwood on the Queens Birthday Weekend.

Peter Jackson VFL 2017

Casey Demons 4.0.24  8.4.52 10.10.70 12.14.86 

Coburg 3.2.20 5.5.35  8.6.54 10.8.68

Goals

Casey Demons  Kennedy 3 Hulett Scott 2 Ferreira Gent Gordon Moncrieff Morris 

Coburg Kerbatieh 3 Dodge McEvoy 2 Holdsworth Hunt Lowson 

Best

Casey Demons Kennedy-Harris Keilty Moncrieff Gordon White Johnstone

Coburg Hunt Posar McEvoy Allan Exon Orr

Statistics

Liam Hulett 2 goals 7 kicks 3 handballs 10 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 61 dream team points
Dion Johnstone 5 kicks 7 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 6 tackles 53 dream team points 
Declan Keilty 3 kicks 7 handballs 10 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 14 hit outs 50 dream team points 
Ben Kennedy 3 goals 1 behind 11 kicks 12 handballs 22 disposals 5 marks 8 tackles 123 dream team points
Jay Kennedy-Harris 19 kicks 28 handballs 47 disposals 4 marks 5 tackles 144 dream team points
Dean Kent 13 kicks 12 handballs 25 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 82 dream team points
Corey Maynard 8 kicks 13 handballs 21 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 73 dream team points
Tim Smith 1 kick 7 handballs 8 disposals 5 marks 31 dream team points
Billy Stretch 1 behind 10 kicks 14 handballs 24 disposals 3 marks 1 tackles 72 dream team points
Jack Trengove 14 kicks 14 handballs 28 disposals 7 marks 6 tackles dream 115 team points
Sam Weideman 3  kicks 8 handballs 11 disposals 2 marks 2 tackles 7 hit outs 49 dream team points
Mitch White 1 behind 16 kicks 8 handballs 24 disposals 6 marks 80 dream team points

The Development League team overcame a slow start to gain control of the game in the third quarter and win by 5 goals.

AFL Vic Development League 2017

Casey Demons 2.2.14  6.7.43 13.10.88 17.12.114

Coburg 3.4.22 6.5.41 9.5.59 13.6.84

Goals

Casey Demons Gardiner 4 Lefau Zijai 3 Cotte 2 Briggs Cox  Hillard  Lok

Coburg McRorie 3 Aujla Byrne Curtis El-Moussalli Ercolano Haberfield McDonald  Romios Schraven Wunhym

Best

Casey Demons Baker Dwyer Dan Johnston Hiscock Lefau Gardiner

Coburg Wunhym Karpany McRorie Curtis Ercolano Conn

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

The path he might take ie.  re-rookie followed by career resurrection.   Obviously a completely different player to Jetta.

Yup. More than happy for the club to keep him listed or rookie. Now that we're in the second half of the season, we have to look at who to delist. It was tough last year, only going to get tougher now. In the gun: Garland, King, McKenna, and Trengove. Brayshaw only a very outside possibility of wrapping it up. Possible trades and FA types that we might not want to pay to keep. JKH I'd like to see kept ahead of the first 3 names. Not sure he will be of course.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dappa Dan said:

Yup. More than happy for the club to keep him listed or rookie. Now that we're in the second half of the season, we have to look at who to delist. It was tough last year, only going to get tougher now. In the gun: Garland, King, McKenna, and Trengove. Brayshaw only a very outside possibility of wrapping it up. Possible trades and FA types that we might not want to pay to keep. JKH I'd like to see kept ahead of the first 3 names. Not sure he will be of course.

The FD clearly like McKenna, they just traded for him and he has been injured.  King a promising ruckman coming back from an ACL.  I expect both to be on the list next year.

Garland has a year to run on his contract and is also will be comming back from an ACL.  Maybe you'll go in and delist him?

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

The FD clearly like McKenna, they just traded for him and he has been injured.  King a promising ruckman coming back from an ACL.  I expect both to be on the list next year.

Garland has a year to run on his contract and is also will be comming back from an ACL.  Maybe you'll go in and delist him?

Garland is a great club man, so you may want to put him on staff, which might be a way of negotiating him out of his final year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Garland is a great club man, so you may want to put him on staff, which might be a way of negotiating him out of his final year.

that is not a bad idea... as I understand it the "management salary" would still be in the salary cap but it would free up a position on the list.

JKH perhaps shows enough at VFL level to justify another year but he is certainly on the fringe at present. There are around 4-6 players who cannot seem to establish themselves in the senior team when given the chance. Who goes and who is kept will be a hard decision.