Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 10

Demonland

10 minutes ago, ManDee said:

Input credits, they would find a way to claim it back.

Yes they may well do so, but they still pay the tax (up until the can get credits not to, or knowing the government they would pay it, then get it back in grants, minus hundreds of thousands of dollars for admin fees to do so).

My thoughts on the game. 

The first 2.5 quarters were not as bad as described here. We did have problems though. These were clear as day for anyone watching. The key ones were that we could not convert out chances and inside 50's. We continually bombed it in on the heads of the forwards and their height dominated. We did hold it in our forward half for long periods though and from memory dominated the inside 50's. This was compounded by Gold Coasts ease of scoring when they did get it out of the zone. They pretty much waltzed down the other end and scored once they got it through. In short they took every opportunity they were presented with and we didn't take many at all, hence the score line. Except for our lack of forward potency we did actually play OK though, not brilliant but OK.

The last 1.5 quarters looked vastly different but really wasn't that different. Our pressure was much the same but we started to take our opportunities, they also took about the same number as for the rest of the game. The difference was simply our ball movement, where would turn it over and work slowly to the inside 50 we started hitting targets, moving quickly and decisively into the 50 which gave our forwards and chance and they took it. We locked it in just as much as in the first half, it was just there less time as it went through for a goal instead of working hard to watch them eventually get it and score themselves. 

An interesting little thing I noticed during the game was that the suns in each quarter in terms of scoring shots had 9,5,3,and 5 for a return in goals of 4,3,2,and 4 (22 scoring shots and 13 goals from 40 inside 50's). No great slump really evident from them in scoring (although it looked it on the screen). On the other hand we had 3,9,6,and 14 scoring shots for a return of 2,2,5,and 9 goals (32 scoring shots and 18 goals from 71 inside 50's). 

All this seems completely at odds with what we saw though as the suns seem to completely drop their bundle in the last, although they still kicked 4 goals!

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Our game plan was poor in the first quarter given the conditions and our defence pushed way too far up the ground into the wind. The second quarter was disappointing from an execution point of view, with our forwards not converting in front of goals and our gifting up of easy goals. In the third quarter we started to dominated once the wind stopped against an insipid side and it turned into a procession.

While Watts finished the game well, his first half was terrible and he needs to go harder at the contest.

Oscar McDonald has had two terrible weeks and needs to go back to the VFL. He let the ball over the back way too many times.

Hannan continues to show a lot of promise.

Harmes also had a good game.

Other than his awful miss in the first quarter, Neal Bullen played another good game and has really progressed this year.

Jones played a wonderful game and his kicking was a standout.

Lewis was poor until the wind dropped and I wonder if he actually has three years in him.

Pedersen was again very good.

Hibberd was very good again.

Frost was shaky and Tom Lynch had the better of him IMO but did not get enough supply.

Garlett was good, but wasted a few chances and should have kicked 8.

Melksham played a good game and added some balance to our handball happy midfield.

Interesting that someone who has gone under the radar this week is Petracca.  I was happy with his game but then I was ok to happy with everyone's game.

But he had bone bruising a few weeks back and played on each week whereas players from other teams with same ailment have missed games. 

If we didn't have so many talls/forwards out there is every chance Watts and Petracca would have missed a game to recover.  The bye couldn't come fast enough for them and the likes of Viney.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Chris said:

State governments pay GST to the feds, that is a tax!

State Govt's pay GST on purchases they make its true but they also receive back all of the GST. The Feds get nothing. 

ANyway its not a topic for this forum (or any really!)

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

Our game plan was poor in the first quarter given the conditions and our defence pushed way too far up the ground into the wind. The second quarter was disappointing from an execution point of view, with our forwards not converting in front of goals and our gifting up of easy goals. In the third quarter we started to dominated once the wind stopped against an insipid side and it turned into a procession.

I disagree with this. Goals were being kicked from 50+m. Not sure of the number but a good deal of them from my memory. In that case you want pressure on the ball carrier at the 50-70m mark.

In other words there is no point having a bunch of defenders at the 10-20m mark when goals are being bombed from outside 50.... 

Edited by jnrmac

EXTRACTED from BigFooty:

"Good: We won and are briefly in the 8. The BF gameday thread on the Melb board (see below).
Bad: 1st half!

Ugly: Demonland gameday thread. Today well and truly convinced me that is not a place I want to be. So negative and derogatory to players and the club. The Melb board gameday thread here on BF has sarcasm, humour and not a lot of bagging in comparison.

Mate word of advice, avoid the gameday threads at all costs over there and unless it's a 4 quarter, 100 point shellacking then the post match stuff straight afterwards is littered with negativity too. Although to be fair our second half tsunami today did paper over a few cracks in the side."
Very interesting to see what other Demon fans think of this place...I have to say I tend to avoid the first couple of hours after a loss.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

EXTRACTED from BigFooty:

"Good: We won and are briefly in the 8. The BF gameday thread on the Melb board (see below).

Ugly: Demonland gameday thread. Today well and truly convinced me that is not a place I want to be. So negative and derogatory to players and the club. The Melb board gameday thread here on BF has sarcasm, humour and not a lot of bagging in comparison.

Mate word of advice, avoid the gameday threads at all costs over there and unless it's a 4 quarter, 100 point shellacking then the post match stuff straight afterwards is littered with negativity too. Although to be fair our second half tsunami today did paper over a few cracks in the side."
Very interesting to see what other Demon fans think of this place...I have to say I tend to avoid the first couple of hours after a loss.

They're spot on. The match day threads on here are nothing short of embarrassing.

• Like 13

43 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

Well he's hardly wrong is he?

The wailing and nashing of teeth that goes on in every game day thread here is laughable. The number of people who have had it forever with this club but keep posting must be over 40,000 by itself.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

EXTRACTED from BigFooty:

Haven't read a gameday thread since people were calling Petracca the new Toumpas IN HIS FIRST GAME.

The first few pages of post match discussion are normally at least 40% negative unless it's a truly magnificent win. I don't bother reading it at all after a loss.

But there are some great posters here which make me keep coming back!

• Like 1

Just watched the first quarter again.  Although the Suns managed to outscore us, we looked like a real footy team with lots of good dominant play which came unstuck as it sometimes does.  If a team plays like that they eventually win.  Now to see what went wrong in Q2......

• Like 3

On 27/05/2017 at 9:42 PM, ENYAW said:

Good to have a win but not worth celerbrating. Yrs end we need to get the cheque book out,our revolving stock players are too inconsistent,if they were not them we wouldn't call them revolving stock. Don't get why Caey seniors have a bye considering that they didn't start 3 wks from the AFL season.

Didn't VFL have Representative Game?

25 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Watching the goals, it is clear how important Wattsy is.  He is so often the link man and his precise passes are so valuable.  He looks a bit down on output, but gee he got involved in scoring. 

He looks like he's  'managing' a groin problem as well which coupled with the workload of support rucking duties has probably taken the edge off his game lately. His value to the team these days cannot be overstated and I find it hard to tolerate those fools on here who delight in knocking him when his performance dips below the benchmark he has now established. It is a credit to him and Roos & Co  that he's taken his game to its current level.

• Like 1

Just getting back to the footy for a moment, I was impressed by Dermie's commentary he was following the changes on the ground as the coaches threw players around and the numbers that we had in front and behind the ball and tried to explain what the Dee's coaching group were trying to achieve and it took until 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter for the players to finally click and start playing to our strengths. Whereas Lynch was selling us short and adding nothing new to the conversation. Superb win and fantastic turn around, we have definitely found another one in Hannan, agile, quick thinker with great hands and ability to absorb punishment and bounce back off the turf in the blink of an eye, we didn't have any passengers and I would persevere with Bugg, he has a big heart and tough to Boot. GCS aren't a basket case, they have some serious talent in their group but I think their coach fits this category. LOL!!!

Go You Mighty Demons!!!!!

• Like 2

This thread and the gameday thread are a reflection of the supporter's expectations this season. In the past, if we had come back from 30 pts down in the 3rd to win by 35 pts we would have been over the moon.

I watched the game and was disappointed at the performance in the first half and especially the 2nd quarter. With the input the team received from the coaching staff at half time and with the effort of our leading players standing up the second half it was great to see transformation.

It seems to be a trend in this season that we need time to work out what is happening in a game and then to put in place a plan to combat it. It begs the question, are we doing our homework properly in the week before the game?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

They're spot on. The match day threads on here are nothing short of embarrassing.

They can be good for a laugh if read a day or two after the match but yes, best avoided on the day. I'm sure there are posters who only ever appear in the Gameday threads, usually with sackcloth and ashes at the ready. Old mate Mr White is one. He is always good for some quality contributions.

It's got me stuffed how people can type so much and still watch the game

On 5/28/2017 at 10:58 AM, Redleg said:

IMO Stretch would have loved it yesterday, as the game was often open and he could have used his disposal skills to set us up with shots at goal.

I don't understand why he is not getting a game. 

We have so many who are dreadful with the ball in hand. Even Lewis had a bad one early and couldn't find a target, not to mention that pathetic one handed attempt at a mark, which if it was Watts or someone like him, would have been called out as scared.

Doesn't get it enough and when he does slows play or doesn't move it forward aggressively. I believe this is what he has been working on at Casey.

Replying to earlier comments on Derm, one thing he said, that sums up my dislike for him perfectly, was when the goal umpire got collected, and he crapped on about how people wouldn't realise how hard the balls are pumped up in "league footy" and how much it would of hurt.

Anyone who has played at any level knows how much that would hurt, but Dermie always talks to the viewers like they are idiots if they haven't played "league footy".

Glad that's off my chest.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Just getting back to the footy for a moment, I was impressed by Dermie's commentary he was following the changes on the ground as the coaches threw players around and the numbers that we had in front and behind the ball and tried to explain what the Dee's coaching group were trying to achieve and it took until 1/2 way through the 3rd quarter for the players to finally click and start playing to our strengths. 

Go You Mighty Demons!!!!!

If this man could string a coherent sentence together using 75% less words he would be a much better commentator. He went on and on about the strength of the breeze at the ground and said the same thing each time he mentioned it.....and use 4 times more words that necessary.

6 minutes ago, CHF said:

If this man could string a coherent sentence together using 75% less words he would be a much better commentator. He went on and on about the strength of the breeze at the ground and said the same thing each time he mentioned it.....and use 4 times more words that necessary.

He always comes across as a bogan trying to sound like an Oxford-educated expert. If he just forgot all that stuff and just let the bogan spirit rip, he might occasionally say something entertaining. But most of the time it is sleep-inducing verbal meandering that takes forever to make no point whatsoever ...

• Like 2

Professor Brereton is on of the most influential PhDs Frankston University has ever excreted.

We are Priveliged to have his carefully considered insights and his lofty wisdom.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

It's such a shame too, Nash.  As someone who shared each gameday with my old man who has now passed on, and a wife who supports St. Kilda, I end up in the gameday thread to share in the game with other supporters.  Yet generally we get that constant negativity for the smallest things and posters who turn up once a week so they can litter the thread with ridiculous comments which others latch on to as well.

As Sylvia Saint said earlier, there are some ripping posters on here and you need to look carefully to find them in some of those threads.  It shouldn't be that way, but I'm not sure what can be done to change it really.

• Like 4