Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 10

Demonland

Personally I'd persist with Bugg...not sure what he has done to upset people... disappointing to miss goals...but hey it happens to champions as well, and he is getting pill, so the goals will come. He is a terrier, can take a mark, and he's far from simply been picked for being a 'pest'. He could had one goal that was attributed to Hannan if Hannan wasn't so greedy :) so he'd be 1.7 over the past fortnight :)

• Like 7

I was very disappointed in our leaders in the first half - simply in terms of composure with ball in hand.

But Jones and Lewis were exceptional after half time. They fully deserve the kudos and really stood up when needed.

I also just want to acknowledge that Jeffy Garlett is quickly become a leader for our club. He kicks goals he should kick, he chases and does all the hard things. He's been fantastic this year and I'm wrapped for him.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Id like to single out one for the moment.

He's been around a whiles and to be frank thought his participation at times over rated despite his enduring desire to be otherwise.

As a leader  quite frankly I didn't see it often on the ground as all i saw was grim determination not always accompanied  by, though he undoubtedly wanted better , results from his efforts.  They sometimes seemed more appreciated by the opposition receiving his tardy disposal.

There was one crucial and mandatory ( for mine ) quailty i had yet to witness. It's where someone takes a very bad situation and changes it manifestly by their own efforts. 

Yesterday was the day, the 3 qtr was the moment. Enough is enough must have been the impetus as he stepped up. Not just his own game but for the first time for this observer it had a wave effect. His charges followed suit. 

I haven't always been your greatest fan but out there in the middle , of the middle, you found your Excalibur, drew it , raised it and took it to your foes. 

Well done Nathan Jones. You appeared to grow into a King, a General among your legion, not just in name but now in effect.

There was much to cringe at especially the first half but you showed your team the right stuff.

I often highlight the scoreboard as being essence of the story of a game but the prize of our torrid plight against the Coasters was not the win for me, though I'll take it happily , it was the arrival of something I as a Melbourne supporter haven't seen for a long while, affirmation.

Dont drop the sword, it's yours. Weild it well.

Got a tear in my eye reading that

5 hours ago, Skuit said:

WattsTF? Think they may have confused a couple of Hannan's efforts as Jack's

And no way Lewis was second best on the ground. He was terrible for close to three quarters.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

If you told me before the game that Lynch and Wright would be kept to four goals between them, I would've taken that in a heartbeat. Disposal aside, OMac is doing a reasonable job down there. Frost's efforts are terrific as well. Why he didn't get a game earlier in the season is beyond me. 

Besides finding a team mate by hand or foot (the key is element of the game), I really like the boy.

I understand the thought process of getting games into and with Smith out the cupboard is bare but his last 2 weeks have been pretty average. He needs to improve.

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

There has been a lot of poor umpiring this year, with interpretations changing weekly. I wonder if the AFL chiefs are causing it with a reaction to certain situations, like the deliberate out of bounds, which has done a 360*.

The in the back rule now clearly depends on the colors of the jumper of the player.

The other possibility of the throwing rule is just plain incompetence.

BTW, do you remember Bugg being coat hangered in the last and umpire 22 about 10 metres away, looking straight at it and no call and then umpire 29, Scott Jeffrey, from about 40 metres away and side on paid it. How does that happen. I wonder what explanation umpire 22 could possibly have for not calling it.

PS. I hardly noticed the umpires yesterday and I think the female umpire is going well.

Apart from the fact holding the ball doesn't exist anymore.....

Edit: Sorry @Dr. Gonzo just saw your post and looks like I've copied it. 

Edited by Watts the matter
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Danelska said:

Personally I'd persist with Bugg...not sure what he has done to upset people... disappointing to miss goals...but hey it happens to champions as well, and he is getting pill, so the goals will come. He is a terrier, can take a mark, and he's far from simply been picked for being a 'pest'. He could had one goal that was attributed to Hannan if Hannan wasn't so greedy :) so he'd be 1.7 over the past fortnight :)

I like Bugg but his goal kicking technique is woeful. I'm not sure the goals will automatically come with his current run up to goal.

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Surely Stretch or Kennedy better options?

Ben Ken is just as limited around the sticks PF.  Has occasionally shown some decent performance in patches but rarely able to finish off good work in front of goal or play out 4 quarters to a decent standard.  Doesn't seem to have the tank and not enough class/finish for a small guy which is what is needed if he is to have an impact and justify a spot.

Stretch is a class above these two, although it's hard to fault Bugg's effort and work rate.  Just don't put him anywhere forward of the centre square where he might be shooting for goal.  Or Alternatively make sure Bernie is floating by him straight after he marks or wins a free!  One of the worst set shot kicking actions I can recall.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Danelska said:

I think people forget that players like joe daniher also struggle in front of goal from time to time, 1.6 against us sounds pretty similar to Bugg!

7 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Jake Melksham is not getting enough credit for his game. In fact he was one of the few players putting up any resistance when we were playing like garbage in the first half.  

He played in a new role and excelled to finished with 32 disposals, 5 tackles and 7 inside 50's. 

Did well did Milkshake. That wing style role suits him much better. That time away has done him , nor us , any harm at all.

Happy for him to repeat in a fortnight  ^_^

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

bit of a disappointing crowd..... 5000 was reported on the TV.

A bit of a difference from the crowd at the MCG last night.

Cannot understand how the NT government can justify the spend .... bread and circus for the masses but the masses don't attend

It's not that the masses don't attend. The fact is there are no masses in the first place.

Alice Springs population is around 29,000. So 5000 turning up is about 1 in 6. If one in six of Melbourne's population turned up to a match they'd be over 600,000 there. 

Edited by sue
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, sue said:

It's not that the masses don't attend. The fact is there are no masses in the first place.

Alice Springs population is around 29,000. So 5000 turning up is about 1 in 6. If one in six of Melbourne's population turned up to a match they'd be over 600,000 there. 

so at a reported figure of $500K plus travel expenses that is $100 per attendee. Somehow I think the NT government has better things on which to spend its money.

And please don't tell me they make it from Tourism ..... how many people watched that game against say two or three ads during the Richmond v Collingwood game

Edited by Diamond_Jim
remove zero

23 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

so at a reported figure of $500K plus travel expenses that is $1000 per attendee. Somehow I think the NT government has better things on which to spend its money.

And please don't tell me they make it from Tourism ..... how many people watched that game against say two or three ads during the Richmond v Collingwood game

These games must be a Tax Break for the NT Govt. It is the only way they can be justified at all. 

What is our latest NT Membership Figure. 

Last one i remember a few years back was about 40 Members...

4 hours ago, sue said:

During the actual match I despaired like many on here, but on reflection I think pitmaster has it right.  A lot was to do with the score.  I suspect a lot of the bad play would have been overlooked (and may have evaporated with growing confidence) if we didn't miss goals in Q2.

100%

I was certaily one that thought we played like poop in the first half, but probably mainly because we wasted our opportunity with the wind after a decent first qtr.  And after that goal that put GC up by 30 points, I was mentally preparing myself for what looked like it would turn into a thumping for the MFC (huddled fetal position in the corner of the lounge room for anyone who's wondering).  Thankfully the players had better emotional contol than I.

Again in retrospect, we really pretty much controlled the entire second half, because even though GC opened up the lead early in the third, even that was somewhat against the flow of play and it was just them making the most of the opportunities they had.

Though GC are hardly a high quality team, it was still a good win by the team in many respects - I'll take it.  It's a Grand Old Flag...

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

These games must be a Tax Break for the NT Govt. It is the only way they can be justified at all. 

What is our latest NT Membership Figure. 

Last one i remember a few years back was about 40 Members...

just to clarify ... I edited to $100 per attendee but that is still real money that could be spent on a multitude of problems facing the territory

No tax breaks for the NT Govt.... they don't pay taxes

As I posted yesterday .... Mildura has a bigger population than Alice Springs

39 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

so at a reported figure of $500K plus travel expenses that is $100 per attendee. Somehow I think the NT government has better things on which to spend its money.

Don't care, it's money in the MFC's pocket and that matters to our club.

That said, one thing it does highlight is - does the MFC get any sponsorship funding fromy the Vic Gov?  We often here quoted what the 'Melbourne' name is worth to promotional value, so "Show us the Money".  I wonder how the MFC actually fares through government funding when considered how much public money has been gifted to clubs like Essendon, Geelong, Collingwood etc for their lavish training facilities and new grandstandsite etc.?

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

just to clarify ... I edited to $100 per attendee but that is still real money that could be spent on a multitude of problems facing the territory

The partnership/sponsorship goes a lot further than just getting bums on seats at a footy game, and ranges across health and social initiatives, leadership training, business conferences, tourism (of course), and in general doing what advertising and promotion always does: raising profile. If any of the latter help bring jobs and revenue to the NT, it's money well spent.

Not to mention, all governments put money into sport, and this is no exception.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ProDee said:

Note: no further correspondence re Watts will be entered into. 

You've been pretty quite in your critique of Pedo too PD, since he has returned to the side and is quietly getting the job done whilst having a real impact.

Personally, my only reservation with Pedo is that he is around that 30 y.o. mark and how long he can continue to produce the goods may be limited.  Still if we can get another one or two years out of him at his present output whilst younger KPFs and the team in general  develops, I think it's winners all round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonkers said:

At the moment he's just a very bad player. He dropped marks where he was under no pressure that then lead to goals. His disposal is a major liability that also leads to unforgivable turnovers & goals. I struggle to find how any amount of development is going to change him into a reliable player as the basics just aren't there. He's getting gifted games when it should be a privilege to play for the club. If he turns this around all credit to him & the club but I can't see it happening.

Yeah the "at the moment" part isn't of that much concern to me. He's 25 games in. I reckon Watts didn't play a good one for his first 50, and he's not even as tall as Oscar. Frost was absolutely awful for his first 5 years, now look at him. I had Frost easily as our worst KP defender and just not a footballer. At OMac's height, age, and experience it would be unbelievable if he was good at all. I've seen him play well in the past, and there's not much left in the cupboard that's even close to tall enough. I reckon every side now has a 200cm forward that needs to be played on, so we have to play him even though he's inexperienced.

I just reckon the coaching group just see things differently than we do. They see his 1%ers, and they put up with disposal issues. I reckon he makes really good decisions, but can't execute them at his size, and with his turning circle. If you want to specifically talk about his strengths, then all you can identify at this stage is things like height, kicking technique, speed, spoiling technique. But again, Gawn when he started couldn't kick straight, kept getting hurt. All he did was be tall. I reckon in game 1 I had him pegged as a future starting ruckman. Based on effort and attitude. OMac has those as well.

To each their own. I reckon OMac is doing as good as you can expect from a low drafted 196cm player.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Don't care, it's money in the MFC's pocket and that matters to our club.

That said, one thing it does highlight is - does the MFC get any sponsorship funding fromy the Vic Gov?  We often here quoted what the 'Melbourne' name is worth to promotional value, so "Show us the Money".  I wonder how the MFC actually fares through government funding when considered how much public money has been gifted to clubs like Essendon, Geelong, Collingwood etc for their lavish training facilities and new grandstandsite etc.?

The money comes at an enormous cost in the form of lost exposure in the Melbourne market. It is short term survival stuff. A $20 levy on supporters would see this gone.

Hell.... Essendon supporters pay that for the add on cost of reserving a seat at one of the lesser matches

• Like 3