Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 10

Demonland

15 hours ago, america de cali said:

That was a season Deefining game hopefully.

Copy and paste this every time we win. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Surely Stretch or Kennedy better options?

IMO Stretch would have loved it yesterday, as the game was often open and he could have used his disposal skills to set us up with shots at goal.

I don't understand why he is not getting a game. 

We have so many who are dreadful with the ball in hand. Even Lewis had a bad one early and couldn't find a target, not to mention that pathetic one handed attempt at a mark, which if it was Watts or someone like him, would have been called out as scared.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Yep.

And he's the only ball magnet I've seen at the club since Greg Wells (Brian Wilson had one year).  I've spent years wanting players that have the skill of actually getting their hands on the footy.

We've uncovered one of the best.  A ball magnet at last.  The first in 40 years.

The best since greg wells. What makes oliver so special is in addition to his ball winning ability (and pure 'want' to get it) he has, like williams, incredible vision and awareness of where his team mates are and an ability to hit them - and usually in a way that sets them up to attack.

What a choice by taylor

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Redleg said:

IMO Stretch would have loved it yesterday, as the game was often open and he could have used his disposal skills to set us up with shots at goal.

I don't understand why he is not getting a game. 

We have so many who are dreadful with the ball in hand. Even Lewis had a bad one early and couldn't find a target, not to mention that pathetic one handed attempt at a mark, which if it was Watts or someone like him, would have been called out as scared.

Has to come in soon, surely. He's one of those players that is better at AFL level than VFL IMO.

We miss his run at times and his disposal is usually pretty safe.

FWIW, that free against Harmes for a throw, near the end of the game, gifting the Suns a goal, has also been paid several times in games against Oliver.

To me it is a blatantly incorrect interpretation and decision.

A handball is hitting the the ball off a stationary hand by clenched fist. If the ball holding hand remains stationary, as it did, then it is irrelevant if it is hit with the fist/ knuckles or gap or fleshy part of the hand around the clenched thumb and forefinger. Oliver does this often punching the ball off his stationary hand and is pinged.

IMO that is incorrect umpiring and it needs to be sorted out.  It is certainly costing us.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Luther said:

Has to come in soon, surely. He's one of those players that is better at AFL level than VFL IMO.

We miss his run at times and his disposal is usually pretty safe.

I am unsure what criteria Billy is not meeting, as the week he was dropped I think he had about 20 possies at about 75-80% and he has some pace and great disposal. Also he would have kicked 5-6 goals of the 7 points Bugg scored in the last two weeks.

Edited by Redleg

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

FWIW, that free against Harmes for a throw, near the end of the game, gifting the Suns a goal, has also been paid several times in games against Oliver.

To me it is a blatantly incorrect interpretation and decision.

Is that their way of "cracking down" on throwing the ball?

How AFL that they would do it exactly backwards.

One rule that needs cracking down on is in the back. It seems it's now possible to drop a piano on someone's back in a tackle or at the bottom of a pack with no penalty.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Yes a win is a win. I'll take it, but i don't have to like it.

Hope the players' have the same attitude towards it too. What we served up in the first half cannot be swept under the carpet. Hopefully the break will allow the FD to really look into it and do something productive about it.

I don't think you are giving enough credit to GC. They aren't that bad and have beaten top teams like geelong. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

Is that their way of "cracking down" on throwing the ball?

How AFL that they would do it exactly backwards.

One rule that needs cracking down on is in the back. It seems it's now possible to drop a piano on someone's back in a tackle or at the bottom of a pack with no penalty.

There has been a lot of poor umpiring this year, with interpretations changing weekly. I wonder if the AFL chiefs are causing it with a reaction to certain situations, like the deliberate out of bounds, which has done a 360*.

The in the back rule now clearly depends on the colors of the jumper of the player.

The other possibility of the throwing rule is just plain incompetence.

BTW, do you remember Bugg being coat hangered in the last and umpire 22 about 10 metres away, looking straight at it and no call and then umpire 29, Scott Jeffrey, from about 40 metres away and side on paid it. How does that happen. I wonder what explanation umpire 22 could possibly have for not calling it.

PS. I hardly noticed the umpires yesterday and I think the female umpire is going well.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I don't need to watch the game to make this point. It is clear we were terrible for the first 2.5 quarters.

When we lose but play well, you are one of a few people who often post about how the way we play is irrelevant or not important when we lose. It seems, to me, that it is hypocritical to say that when we play poorly but win, the way we played is relevant.

Haven't watched the game, but commenting on the game based purely on the score line.

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

BTW, do you remember Bugg being coat hangered in the last and umpire 22 about 10 metres away, looking straight at it and no call and then umpire 29, Scott Jeffrey, from about 40 metres away and side on paid it. How does that happen. I wonder what explanation umpire 22 could possibly have for not calling it.

Overall the umpiring was okay in that they didn't make many howlers and were consistent in applying the interpretation of the week. (What a low bar to jump.)

But seeing the Bugg one, I wasn't that surprised.  It just wouldn't be an AFL match without there being some utterly inexplicable decisions or non-decisions being made, right in front of an ump with a perfect view.

• Like 1

I just watched the replay of Q3 & Q4. GC were excruciatingly bad. Demons still made plenty of mistakes, but weren't punished for them. 

I see why Oscar is a whipping boy on this forum. Jacky goes one handed/half heartedly at marking contests. Hannan does a much better job.

Leslie played the Oxley role.

Glad to win. Particularly the week before a bye. Can enjoy the win for 2 weeks!!

Id like to single out one for the moment.

He's been around a whiles and to be frank thought his participation at times over rated despite his enduring desire to be otherwise.

As a leader  quite frankly I didn't see it often on the ground as all i saw was grim determination not always accompanied  by, though he undoubtedly wanted better , results from his efforts.  They sometimes seemed more appreciated by the opposition receiving his tardy disposal.

There was one crucial and mandatory ( for mine ) quailty i had yet to witness. It's where someone takes a very bad situation and changes it manifestly by their own efforts. 

Yesterday was the day, the 3 qtr was the moment. Enough is enough must have been the impetus as he stepped up. Not just his own game but for the first time for this observer it had a wave effect. His charges followed suit. 

I haven't always been your greatest fan but out there in the middle , of the middle, you found your Excalibur, drew it , raised it and took it to your foes. 

Well done Nathan Jones. You appeared to grow into a King, a General among your legion, not just in name but now in effect.

There was much to cringe at especially the first half but you showed your team the right stuff.

I often highlight the scoreboard as being essence of the story of a game but the prize of our torrid plight against the Coasters was not the win for me, though I'll take it happily , it was the arrival of something I as a Melbourne supporter haven't seen for a long while, affirmation.

Dont drop the sword, it's yours. Weild it well.

11 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I haven't always been your greatest fan but out there in the middle , of the middle, you found your Excalibur, drew it , raised it and took it to your foes. 

Well done Nathan Jones. You appeared to grow into a King, a General among your legion, not just in name but now in effect.

Nathan had better be careful, being a second King Arthur.

The first one was betrayed by his brother, and his best mate stole his wife. And he's still permanently suspended (until the British AFL team is threatened with relegation).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bingers said:

Leslie played the Oxley role.

Oxley was the loose sweeper.

Leslie actually outmarked our players, with Tom Mac beaten the most often.

Thought he was our worst player. 

Leslie looks a good player.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, A F said:

Fifth highest. Which is a strong indicator that we're still on track for finals.

Might be a factor in a tight  finals race. Here is hoping.

What a wonderful thing it would be to make finals and have our players back. Big surprise to other clubs who have beaten a side without their bug guns.

• Like 1

bit of a disappointing crowd..... 5000 was reported on the TV.

A bit of a difference from the crowd at the MCG last night.

Cannot understand how the NT government can justify the spend .... bread and circus for the masses but the masses don't attend

As you can see I don't like these peripatetic games. For those who can remember it we pioneered the selling of home games when we sold our soul (home game) to Brisbane. Believe it or not the biggest complaint was from other clubs who objected to us gifting another win to the then all powerful Lions

On a separate note... time to really pressure the AFL to relocate the Suns to Tasmania. A second team in the Brisbane greater area is an almost certain failure from a following viewpoint. A 30K stadium in Hobart a la Kardinia Park would be a great venue

17 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Neal-Bullen breakout game?

Composure, decision making and execution were excellent.

Looked like he belonged and ready to put his stamp on a position full time.

PS the back drop with the hills and sun setting as it went to dusk I thought was bloody brilliant. Indigenous round in the red centre loked awesome.

• Like 3

Didn't watch the game but i have a few questions..

Did Melkshams role change this week? If so what was his position and how effective was it?

Also how did ANB and Harmes go?

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

In the cool light of day and once the fury has subsided you take the 4 points and move on.

That said, we're definitely short a quality key defender and a classy midfielder.  We won't take any significant steps without addressing these two issues.

And Watts ?  He was back to his putrid best in the first half and his much better second half showcased that he picks and chooses when to impact contests.  He plays on his own terms.

I'd jettison his arse out of the club at year's if a suitable deal could help address the two above issues.  I know I'm in the 1% that would, so please refrain from quoting this post. 

?

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

There has been a lot of poor umpiring this year, with interpretations changing weekly. I wonder if the AFL chiefs are causing it with a reaction to certain situations, like the deliberate out of bounds, which has done a 360*.

The in the back rule now clearly depends on the colors of the jumper of the player.

The other possibility of the throwing rule is just plain incompetence.

PS. I hardly noticed the umpires yesterday and I think the female umpire is going well.

Holding the ball doesn't exist anymore

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Didn't watch the game but i have a few questions..

Did Melkshams role change this week? If so what was his position and how effective was it?

Also how did ANB and Harmes go?

Melksham looked to be playing more wing than halfback. His efficiency and metres gained were excellent. His best game yet, and based on that, is in our best 22 easy. Harmes was good. Took his chances, and plays the physical running and playing on game that Goody likes. He plays like that, he's in the team. As we know though, he has quiet/sloppy games. ANB was excellent. Lots of 1% acts, lots of defensive actions, and used the ball beautifully. He might be part of a fringe group of players, but you'd never know it from yesterday. 

• Like 5