Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 10

Demonland

57 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Howd you feel at halftime ?

Coach reacted...30 mins late .so-so 

Team reacted ...good

We won ...good

Method ..hmmm

Hows that scoreboard in other games.. Hawthorn, Richmond, Geelong , North , Freo ??

The scoreboard telks a story. It says we won today....woke up got there late. Twas only GC after all

QB will be interesting...it is after all our GF 

The sooner our supporters, media or sadly club people stop referring QB as our GF the better!

Just another game we want to win & the only GF were want to be associated with is the last day in Sept!

Edited by Hogan2014
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Skuit said:

Imagine living next-door to the MacDonald clan.

Mister, can we have our ball back. Mister, can we have our ball back. Mister, can we have . . . .

Is that the McDonald bros. trying to give the kid the ball back now?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hogan2014 said:

The sooner our supporters, media or sadly club people stop referring QB as our GF the better!

Just another game we want to win & the only GF were want to be associated with is the last day in Sept!

Iwas being facetious about QB

Of course its just another game...will the club treat it that way ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Or in the Crows, Essendon, Saints, Blues and GC games?

I never quite know what your point is these days.  It's like you have an idea and vomit it all over your keyboard.

In all those games we came late to the game... actually we come late to ALL games.

Why is that?

32 minutes ago, A F said:

I was happy to let OMac get games last year and even this year, but his decision making with ball in hand and his inability to lay tackles is simply not good enough for an AFL footballer, let alone a KPD. 

I'm in the he'll take time camp, but I'm not sure he should be the #1 or even #2 KPD defender in the 22 after his last fortnight. 

The FD undoubtedly rate him but I personally can't see it. Even with all the caveats of KPD's taking time to develop.

a) seems to have a problem with his depth perception. You don't often see players completely miss the ball when going for marks and spoils. He does this frequently.

b) he suffers from the same fundamental disposal issue as Tom. It's not just the obvious howlers, but an inability to correctly judge the path of a moving player. They both compensate by putting the ball vaguely into space for a runner, so it won't show up in the D/E, but it slows down our switch when a player has to collect and often puts that player and the next under unnecessary pressure.

c) slow decision-maker (and today was very slow to move the ball - which should put an extra question mark over a spot in Goodwin's defence. We may as well have Dunn still). The slow decision-making may be a developmental thing, but he just doesn't strike as an instinctive footballer (nor an aggressive one). Slow decisions lead to bad decisions.

d) not particularly fast or evasive.  

Issues with body-strength I would be willing to give him time, but apparently he already weighs nearly 100kg, so I would say that he might just not have the frame.

He might be doing all the right things for the coaching department, but I question his physical ceiling to ever really make it as a KPD, or his ability in the long-term then to provide the alternative characteristics we seek in our defensive set-up.

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 1

This is a weird one. We won comfortably, but the first half was that bad most of us have cracked the shits. But was it really any different to nearly every other game this year? We've been bog ordinary for patches in all games. It was a wind effected game and we kicked like [censored] when we first had it. 

I think now the dust is settled I'm pretty happy with the win. It could've been another loss where we're trying to peg them back and they just counter with easy Chinese-checker goals and finish us off. Instead we changed the style, hit lead-up targets (shock horror) and pretty much blew them off the park - with no ruckman and no marking key forward. 

Crisis averted. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, KingSlayer33 said:

What about Oliver's handball to ANB that led to Jeff's fourth goal? I thought Dermott was going to go all Bruce+Cyril over it every time he re-watched the footage.

Just on this, it gives me a reason to whinge about the commentators. Dermott gives me the shits. Has no idea what he's talking about. Labours points and generally has no idea what he's talking about and has no idea what he's talking about.

Not to mention that bonehead Lynch, who spent the last five minutes trying to pick out free kicks for Tom Lynch that weren't there. FCS, what a [censored].

3 hours ago, Skuit said:

Imagine living next-door to the MacDonald clan.

Mister, can we have our ball back. Mister, can we have our ball back. Mister, can we have . . . .

Fast becoming one of my favourite posters. Certainly giving DA a run for his money (come on, mate, step up ;) ). Just woke the wife up laughing at this cracker.

3 hours ago, P-man said:

FYI we currently have two of the top five tacklers in the league. Oliver 5th and Viney 1st.

Great signs. We really are following the Bulldogs blueprint.

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

It was important we got in front late in the third.

In a couple of other games we've got close, or even, but not in front.

Agreed. Nice psychological hurdle to overcome there. 

Interestingly, Jones was the one to put us in front with a set shot in the third. He was also the one that missed a relatively gettable set shot against Hawthorn in the third quarter that would have put us in front. Perhaps, that was the footy gods evening things up? :P 

• Like 4

There is definitely a disturbing pattern to our play, any other team bar Bris would have put us away today. That 1st Half was like grating your penis extremely painful. Not that I would know anything about it sounds awful but that's what it felt like watching that crap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A F said:

Fast becoming one of my favourite posters. Certainly giving DA a run for his money (come on, mate, step up ;) ).

Skuit is the goods. I agree DemonAndrew should step it up too. 

• Like 2

If you told me before the game that Lynch and Wright would be kept to four goals between them, I would've taken that in a heartbeat. Disposal aside, OMac is doing a reasonable job down there. Frost's efforts are terrific as well. Why he didn't get a game earlier in the season is beyond me. 

• Like 3

When we get max, Salem and Jesse back which might be in two or three weeks after the break, what will be our team on current form? 

Let me make this suggestion

FB: Hibberd     T McDonald     Jetta

HB: Hunt       Frost              Lewis 

CC:  Salem    Jones             Vince

HF   Watts     Peterson     Petracca

FF:   Garlett    Hogan    Neal-Bullen

Foll:   Gawn     Viney   Oliver

Inter:  Hannan  Tyson.  Wagner Stretch

not a bad team. I suppose others would be Kent, weideman, harmes O mcd Smith, Vanders but none would justify selection at the moment. Hopefully also Brayshaw later in the year, I think we miss him round the packs and his intensity. 

who agrees?

Edited by Dees2014

I know other will laugh at me, and im also quite pizzy on whiskey atm, but i have to say that i actually see a footballer in O'Mac. He is still a kid ffs. Why do so many people agree that you have to give "talls" time to develop but wont give Oscar the benefit of the doubt?

OK, so right now he isnt setting the world on fire. I have also had several "facepalm" moments with him, but im betting that many will be happy to have his number on their MFC guernsey in 2-3 years. He, along with ANB will be long term players for MFC.

Dont be afraid to bump this post in 2 years time if im wrong.

Ding

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Skuit said:

The FD undoubtedly rate him but I personally can't see it. Even with all the caveats of KPD's taking time to develop.

a) seems to have a problem with his depth perception. You don't often see players completely miss the ball when going for marks and spoils. He does this frequently.

b) he suffers from the same fundamental disposal issue as Tom. It's not just the obvious howlers, but an inability to correctly judge the path of a moving player. They both compensate by putting the ball vaguely into space for a runner, so it won't show up in the D/E, but it slows down our switch when a player has to collect and often puts that player and the next under unnecessary pressure.

c) slow decision-maker (and today was very slow to move the ball - which should put an extra question mark over a spot in Goodwin's defence. We may as well have Dunn still). The slow decision-making may be a developmental thing, but he just doesn't strike as an instinctive footballer (nor an aggressive one). Slow decisions lead to bad decisions.

d) not particularly fast or evasive.  

Issues with body-strength I would be willing to give him time, but apparently he already weighs nearly 100kg, so I would say that he might just not have the frame.

He might be doing all the right things for the coaching department, but I question his physical ceiling to ever really make it as a KPD, or his ability in the long-term then to provide the alternative characteristics we seek in our defensive set-up.

Fair enough, mate. I'm happy to give him time. If we had options, I'd prefer to allow him to develop off to the side (ie. the VFL or as third KPD).

10 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

When we get max, Salem and Jesse back which might be in two or three weeks after the break, what will be our team on current form? 

Let me make this suggestion

FB: Hibberd     T McDonald     Jetta

HB: Hunt       Frost              Lewis 

CC:  Salem    Jones             Vince

HF   Watts     Peterson     Petracca

FF:   Garlett    Hogan    Neal-Bullen

Foll:   Gawn     Viney   Oliver

Inter:  Hannan  Tyson.  Wagner Stretch

not a bad team. I suppose others would be Kent, weideman, harmes O mcd Smith, Vanders but none would justify selection at the moment

who agrees?

I reckon Harmes gets a game ahead of Wagner. He really needs to work on his disposal. Harmes seems to have improved this area of his game. Wagner's kicking for the most part, was much better last year.

• Like 2

Well, that was bipolar. (Only just watched game not knowing score)

Take the 4 points, have a breather, deal with the Pies. 

Some observations: 

- the inclusions impressed; I thought ANB was terrific after that howler early on and Harmes actually influenced the game. Leave em in. Milkshake ok. 

- Lewis' ball use and marking can be really poor, as displayed in the first half, but certainly makes up for it in leadership. So handy lurking around half back as the loose man and organising the kids. But geez he had a few Barry Crockers tonight. 

- Jones stepping up was a sight for sore eyes. Bless his shiny head. 

- Tyson has been building the last few weeks, looks to be getting a bit of dash back and tidied up his disposal somewhat. 

- Not Pedo's best day, but I like how he presents in the forward line and just works so bloody hard. 'Can we keep him, mum, can we keep him?!'

- The bye has come at the right time for Watts. He looks a bit wonky. 

- Petracca had concrete hands tonight. Hope it's an anomaly, because if you squint, he looks a bit like Dawes. (?)

- Jeffy on fire! Equal to Tex Walker on the goal kicking tally. 

- Hannan looks a beauty. Nice mark, can play tall whilst good on the deck. Noice. 

- A previous poster mention 'we don't give up'. Results prove we are playing with that mantra this year, been in every game and it's such a pleasure to know with relative confidence that we'll have a crack back; even when 5 goals down. 

- yes we sucked in the first half, but some of the bellyaching on here is OTT IMO (insert more modern acronyms here). We're at parity with a healthy % and a bee's ? from setting ourselves up to have a crack at playing finals. If you offered me that at the start of the season heading into the bye, I wouldn't despair. 

- The main negative about tonight's match is that this thread will have to linger like a bitter, stale fart for two weeks through the bye! 

Goodnight, peeps, I, for one, will sleep well. ✊???

• Like 12

Tick for the umpires too. I hate to bring up gender on the internet, especially with such broad statements, but maybe less ego getting about? I helped to officiate a carnival recently, and a female umpire was by far the pick of the bunch on the day as well. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, or maybe just no crowd influence or not a particularly physical game, but worth a mention that they did well when they were so heavily slammed on here last week. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Deemented Are Go! said:

- The bye has come at the right time for Watts. He looks a bit wonky. 

- Petracca had concrete hands tonight. Hope it's an anomaly, because if you squint, he looks a bit like Dawes. (?)

We just need one of Spencer, Jesse or Max back and a week's R&R and I reckon we'll see the Jack we saw last year in 2 week's time.

Trac's ego will come to the fore in front of 60k supporters. He'll be disappointed with his performance this week and last.

• Like 1

I just wanted us to scrap some wins to put us in an ok spot before Hogan and Gawn are back, and we did that at least.

Jonesy grabbed the game by the balls in the 3rd quarter. He wasn't alone, but that was a huge quarter in the context of our season.

• Like 5

Thirty points down and I was ready to give up on them but it's simply wrong to say we were lousy for the entire first half. The commentary made it clear that our effort into the wind in the first quarter was pretty good and that the Suns were not far enough in front.

Inaccuracy burned us when we had the wind in the second, so skills and finishing (and lack of forward structure) cost us, but we were in the contest. 

In the end Jones, Garlett and Hibbered really shaped this win and maybe we should just enjoy the fact we've found some who can hit the scoreboard in Hogan's absence.

In short: whingers, get over it.

• Like 6

Jake Melksham is not getting enough credit for his game. In fact he was one of the few players putting up any resistance when we were playing like garbage in the first half.  

He played in a new role and excelled to finished with 32 disposals, 5 tackles and 7 inside 50's. 

• Like 18

6 hours ago, Skuit said:

The FD undoubtedly rate him

Agree with all points but this is key. How many times does he try to effect a contest, miss the ball and it goes out the back for a goal. Defending 101

Teams are trying to isolate Oscar. There is a reason why.

His offense is just as bad also. Sure kpp take time but they need to show some attribute that is good/elite in the meantime while his body develops.

IE speed for kpp, judging the ball/interception, decision making, footskills, contested marking, competitiveness.

What signs, attributes do ppl see that makes them confident he'll get there?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Petraccattack said:

Votes from The Age

N Jones (Melb) 8

J Lewis (Melb) 7

J Garlett (Melb) 7

J Watts (Melb) 7

M Hibberd (Melb) 7

WattsTF? Think they may have confused a couple of Hannan's efforts as Jack's

• Like 3