Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



DemonLad5

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - STEVEN MAY

Recommended Posts

I'm calling this weekend in Alice 'The Steven May Cup'.... should we win, we snare him, should we lose...he's off to Richmond!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What do you suggest the Match Committee do this week if you think Oscar should be dropped?

I don't have a suggestion right at this point. I'm completely aware that we have no other real options at present and imo it's the FD who are at question.

Clearly, and I mean clearly, they were hoping that Oscar would show a lot more than what he's showing this year and perhaps they thought the same about Frost. 

I was of the opinion last year that we needed a mature key-defender in our side so that Frost/Oscar could develop at VFL level. Even if it was a slightly older head like Brown or McKenzie who are not the future but would at least be able to compete against bigger forwards and provide some depth. I still maintain we'd be better off this year if we took one..

The only reason Oscar is still running around is because the next bloke in line is a rookie named Declan Keilty. But if it were up to me, I'd be willing to see how he goes. You can't do a lot worse than what you saw yesterday.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

If May leaves GCS they are going to want either a ridiculous draft hand (which I doubt given their inability to maintain players) or more likely an experienced player in the 23-25 age bracket.

I don't see how we get it done without losing something of value.

People talking about Watts will then very quickly complain about our lack of tall forwards. 

Watts for me as a tall forward just doesn't cut it .. He seems to have lost the ability to mark overhead and his second efforts don't show enough urgency. Goodwin wants us to be a tough team and Watts unfortunately is the complete opposite. However I do think GC's midfield stocks next year might be left a little bare.. obviously Prestia and O'Meara this year and I can't see Ablett there next year. Tyson fits that bill as he is more of an extractor, which we're in abundance of. IMO we don't REALLY need him. As Juzzk1d said above..

Out: Tyson, 2nd round

In: May, 3rd. 

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

    Someone name me one strong attribute that Oscar has to his game.  Anyone. I'll give you $10 if you can. 

 

1%ers. Sits after Rance and Jonas as the 1%er kings of the AFL (in front of McGoven, Hurley, May).

His 92% game time ranks him 30% in the league (endurance). 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dee-licious said:

1%ers. Sits after Rance and Jonas as the 1%er kings of the AFL (in front of McGoven, Hurley, May).

His 92% game time ranks him 30% in the league (endurance). 

 

Please go away with your pointless stats. 

Watch the game. Not the stats sheet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need some big backmen before we look for anything else. 

Opposition forwards have kicked badly against us weekly

Top Priority for me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's Oscar worth ? :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, beelzebub said:

What's Oscar worth ? :rolleyes:

Worth persisting with because of his age.

But not at AFL level for at least two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Please go away with your pointless stats. 

Watch the game. Not the stats sheet.

You wouldn't be knocking them if they supported your argument.

For what it's worth, Oscar has been just okay this year, but he was giving away serious size and height to Brown this weekend and there's not a whole lot he can do about it.  Would I rather someone else in the side?  Probably but, as you say, there isn't anyone else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

You wouldn't be knocking them if they supported your argument.

For what it's worth, Oscar has been just okay this year, but he was giving away serious size and height to Brown this weekend and there's not a whole lot he can do about it.  Would I rather someone else in the side?  Probably but, as you say, there isn't anyone else.

Agree. Its probably the same reason we are playing Weideman, who clearly isn't ready, however Oscar is playing far better than Weid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

I didn't realise this was a thread about oscar

It's all relevant.

The reason we're talking about going after a player like Steven May is in part because of Oscar's incompetence as a key defender.

d'you see?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

If May leaves GCS they are going to want either a ridiculous draft hand (which I doubt given their inability to maintain players) or more likely an experienced player in the 23-25 age bracket.

I don't see how we get it done without losing something of value.

People talking about Watts will then very quickly complain about our lack of tall forwards. 

And what's your issue with that? That's the only way to get a trade done. We've got too many players with good reputations, that let us down too often. 

The Jack Watts of this year is like the Jack Watts of old. Does the odd cameo, and that's it. But I doubt the GC would be interested in him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Die Hard Demon said:

I didn't realise this was a thread about oscar

It's not per se. Its about May, but to get you will have to give. 

So what/who do we give ? This then triggers the q about players on our list and worth in trade .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luther said:

He's been reading Demonland!

Would've thought most of Garry's ideas come from here

Edited by Moonshadow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand why the coaches started Oscar on Brown. Waite came back into the side on the back of a 6 goal game on Talia. So you could almost say he was the inform forward for them hence why Frosty started on Waited.

Surprisingly Oscar did a good job when he moved onto Waite. Brown was always going to be too big for Oscar unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

People talking about Watts will then very quickly complain about our lack of tall forwards. 

They're already complaining about a lack of tall forwards. lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I can understand why the coaches started Oscar on Brown. Waite came back into the side on the back of a 6 goal game on Talia. So you could almost say he was the inform forward for them hence why Frosty started on Waited.

Surprisingly Oscar did a good job when he moved onto Waite. Brown was always going to be too big for Oscar unfortunately.

That's our big problem Dazzler. 3 rebounding KP defenders. No big gorilla killers. 3 of the same kind. My heart tells me unless Frost somehow morphs into a 2-metre-player killer, one of the three will have to go out. I would have nominated Frost, since he's not a skill player... But man he's been absolutely lethal on the rebound.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Didn't Hurley recommit to the Bombers last year? Pretty sure he's tied up 

The poster was talking about last season when we were into Hibberd and Hurley big time, but as you said, he ended up re-signing.

Pity it didn't come off because Hurley is an excellent player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In saying all that throw the bloody kitchen sink at May.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we enough Shekels or script to land May and Lever ?

Id rather lever personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I was of the opinion last year that we needed a mature key-defender in our side so that Frost/Oscar could develop at VFL level. Even if it was a slightly older head like Brown or McKenzie who are not the future but would at least be able to compete against bigger forwards and provide some depth. I still maintain we'd be better off this year if we took one..

I also thought and still do think we need a kpd...

Those 2 weren't the answer though 'steve', Brown in particular is a very poor kick.

McKenzie is shot.

We need someone who can use the ball as well as hold down the key post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

That's our big problem Dazzler. 3 rebounding KP defenders. No big gorilla killers. 3 of the same kind. My heart tells me unless Frost somehow morphs into a 2-metre-player killer, one of the three will have to go out. I would have nominated Frost, since he's not a skill player... But man he's been absolutely lethal on the rebound.

And this is why May has to be pur number 1 target ahead of Lever. Big solid defender that we haven't had since Chip Frawley. Its good to have rebounding defenders but examples like Hawkins and Brown will kill us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a key position player and the captain of the club, so I don't think a combination of 2nd and 3rd round picks with NQR's like Kent, Watts etc. will get it done.

Gold Coast would ask for our first pick (10ish) and a starting midfielder.  They'd ask for Salem and hopefully you could get away with Tyson.  I agree he's better than what we've got right now but are Frost and the McDonald's developing that poorly to give Pick 10 and Tyson for a 26 year old?  

I really like May as a player and he has some real mongrel, but with Vince and Lewis almost done, and our only Ruck/Forward (Pedersen) 30 as well, I'd have other priorities.

Edited by Watts Jurrah Dunn?
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

He's a key position player and the captain of the club, so I don't think a combination of 2nd and 3rd round picks with NQR's like Kent, Watts etc. will get it done.

Gold Coast would ask for our first pick (10ish) and a starting midfielder.  They'd ask for Salem and hopefully you could get away with Tyson.  I agree he's better than what we've got right now but are Frost and the McDonald's developing that poorly to give Pick 10 and Tyson for a 26 year old?  

I really like May as a player and he has some real mongrel, but with Vince and Lewis almost done, and our only Ruck/Forward (Pedersen) 30 as well, I'd have other priorities.

Other priorities other than a key back??? This has to be our number 1 priority.  

Edited by Demons11
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×