Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jesse Hogan's Return

Lucifers Hero

He got better as the game went on, got to the right spots and clunked most of his marking attempts. He's still getting his touch back, and he is clearly not as fit as he'd like to be at the moment. He was blowing up in the third when usually he'd just keep leading up the wing or start grappling someone. 
For a big guy he is normally very fit and mobile, that's why he often plays his best football further up the ground. It's interesting when he plays up the ground he is forced to lead and usually clunks lots of marks out on a lead. When he plays deep, whether due to having the space blocked in front of him or lack of fitness/laziness/frustration, he always calls for it out the back and tries to wrestle 2-3 opponents instead of leading. I reckon it's part attitude, but definitely part fitness. In a few weeks time with more gametime under his belt I think we'll start seeing him lead more and play some really good footy. He's obviously had a horrible year personally, so no point criticising the bloke, just making observations and looking to how he will improve and produce his best football again.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

He got better as the game went on, got to the right spots and clunked most of his marking attempts. He's still getting his touch back, and he is clearly not as fit as he'd like to be at the moment

There were some good signs there for a bloke who has hardly played. (Some have forgotten his suspension as well earlier this year as well as his injury and family issues).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

There were some good signs there for a bloke who has hardly played. (Some have forgotten his suspension as well earlier this year as well as his injury and family issues).

While there was some good signs, his kicking for goal will kill us in crunch situations. If anything it is getting worse. Despite his personal problems he has one serious big technical monkey to get off his back. He will be useless if he doesn't fix this up.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, faultydet said:

Often when a player is out of form, you read the coaches saying they just need to "work on the basics", and form will return.

"The basics" are pressure acts, tackling, shepherding, and small things like knock on's etc.

The thing that disappoints me about his return is not his lack of touch, but a continuation of his previous unwillingness to chase and tackle if he fails to take a mark. He is a bystander more often than not, in a full ground modern press that requires every player doing their bit.

His form 2 games back doesn't bother me.

His defensive effort does.

I was to scared to post what you just said.  Good on you. I'm time and again sick in my stomach with his non-2nd effort.  I wonder what his fellow team members must be thinking.  I'd keep him more toward the centre because he works harder and is effective there.  I'd love to put him on an good opposing forward so he learns what they do.  He might be a champion one day and I know it's been an awful time for him but if you made a list of the good marking and goal kicking forwards, he'd be around 30th.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, faultydet said:

Often when a player is out of form, you read the coaches saying they just need to "work on the basics", and form will return.

"The basics" are pressure acts, tackling, shepherding, and small things like knock on's etc.

The thing that disappoints me about his return is not his lack of touch, but a continuation of his previous unwillingness to chase and tackle if he fails to take a mark. He is a bystander more often than not, in a full ground modern press that requires every player doing their bit.

His form 2 games back doesn't bother me.

His defensive effort does.

Agree, his lack of intensity when the ball is in his space is worrisome and reminds me of Kent at his worst. Hopefully he'll get his skates on, take the cue from Garlett and TMac both of whom apply relentless forward line pressure.

• Like 1

At last some posters saying what i was howled down for recently. Seriously dont understand the love for this guy. Last time he took a game apart was rd 5 2016, which we lost. Since then a handful of good returns but mostly sub par efforts. Point is the club has invested heavily in Jesse and at the moment the return is minimal at best. Yep will probably become a good player, sadly it wont be in a Melbourne jumper. Time to invest in the future, give Weideman the gig

The disrespect shown to a young developing player, such as the cretinous post above, who has had tremendous recent personal loss, plus his own not inconsiderate health scares, absolutely sickens me.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, ProDee said:

The disrespect shown to a young developing player, such as the cretinous post above, who has had tremendous recent personal loss, plus his own not inconsiderate health scares, absolutely sickens me.

Yep, the kid has received criticism on this thread, changes v Port thread and post match thread. 

It's relentless!

4 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

Yep, the kid has received criticism on this thread, changes v Port thread and post match thread. 

It's relentless!

Its Jack Watts like....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

He still calls for the ball over the back too often and his second efforts have been non-existent (hopefully because of a lack of fitness).

He has looked more confident and been far more productive and a better contributor when up the ground.  He doesn't need to call for the long high ball, and the upfield players don't feel the need to "kick it long" and high when he isn't down there.    They got used to looking for a target when he wasn't there and still need to do that anyway  

And I do agree that he does need to improve his second and third efforts, which haven't been really up to standard in his two games back.  

4 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Its Jack Watts like....

Certainly not as vehement or vitriolic as the criticisms of JW4 from a few years back. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Well said PD.

• Like 1

At least his out there with the boys and that in it self is a good thing for both him and our club.

At the carlton game he run up to the goal square to pick up a footy, every one in the cheer squad stood up and clapped him, he looked up and gave us a wave, to say thank you. He looked good and it was and at that moment i thought it's where he want's t be. So lets show him some love; he will get better as the weeks go on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Its Jack Watts like....

It's nothing like the critiquing of Jack Watts.

Hogan is 2 games back from a cancer battle on the back of losing his Father from cancer.  To think his own supporters can't cut him some slack on the back of that is astonishing to me.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, deebug said:

At least his out there with the boys and that in it self is a good thing for both him and our club.

At the carlton game he run up to the goal square to pick up a footy, every one in the cheer squad stood up and clapped him, he looked up and gave us a wave, to say thank you. He looked good and it was and at that moment i thought it's where he want's t be. So lets show him some love; he will get better as the weeks go on.

Yeah, but 'I' the underwhelmed supporter who is deserving off optimum output due to misaligned expectations, can't wait that long...

1 hour ago, bobby1554 said:

At last some posters saying what i was howled down for recently. Seriously dont understand the love for this guy. Last time he took a game apart was rd 5 2016, which we lost. Since then a handful of good returns but mostly sub par efforts. Point is the club has invested heavily in Jesse and at the moment the return is minimal at best. Yep will probably become a good player, sadly it wont be in a Melbourne jumper. Time to invest in the future, give Weideman the gig

Lol

1 hour ago, bobby1554 said:

Yep- he's a must delist at the end of the year IMHO. Maybe if a club is willing to pass a fourth rounder our way, we should leap at it.

I want a young KPF to 'tear apart' every match they play, including the matches he plays while recovering from cancer.  It's almost like his mind's been on things other than footy for slabs of the year???

We should look to emulate Round 5 2016 every week- I want Hogan to kick a bag and Melbourne to lose... anything less is unacceptable.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Well go and be sick somewhere.

If I'm not fit to go to work (which is rarely,because I'm self employed)I don't go because I would rather my work mates get someone else in that can pull their weight rather than carry me,besides it's the the honourable  thing to do if my leg is broken and I have to limp up the ladder and slow the whole job down at my workmates $expense let alone would you as an employer pay someone who wants to sleep all day on the job.Get real,if he's  not up to it play him at Casey  till he gets his touch back if he ever does, and boo hoo if he doesn't,  and let a contributor  play.We can't  muck  around anymore this season, or we will end up 9th in Richmond's place 

1 minute ago, doc roet said:

Well go and be sick somewhere.

If I'm not fit to go to work (which is rarely,because I'm self employed)I don't go because I would rather my work mates get someone else in that can pull their weight rather than carry me,besides it's the the honourable  thing to do if my leg is broken and I have to limp up the ladder and slow the whole job down at my workmates $expense let alone would you as an employer pay someone who wants to sleep all day on the job.Get real,if he's  not up to it play him at Casey  till he gets his touch back if he ever does, and boo hoo if he doesn't,  and let a contributor  play.We can't  muck  around anymore this season, or we will end up 9th in Richmond's place 

Dope

To be honest I'm happy the guy can get out of bed in the morning. It's such early days on all fronts.

If getting back to work is what's best for him, I'm sure he's being supported to do that, as he should be. So long as the people who see him every day think it's the best approach, I have no issue with him playing his way back into form, which was always going to be needed after he returned.

• Like 1

Yeesh, just saw his miss from 10m out. Not good. 

But what I liked was straight after he clunked a couple and kept presenting. He will continue to get better. 

• Like 1