Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Adelaide supporters

biggestred

The hoi poloi of Adelaide got their noses out of joint.

Diddums...suck it up Princesses !!

Laughable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Little Goffy said:

Wait for the next premiership club event?

He's not going to use the next event to stand on stage and chastise the audience for their selection of guests at the previous event.

You can bet though had we lost and the locals were a tad ribald Nothing would have been said.

Winners are grinners. 

The gentrified ferals had a bad night.

Sooki lalas 

• Like 2

I'd be complaining to the club if the MFC suggested such an inhospitable and unreasonable request be made by our supporters to their guests.

its just plain rude to invite a friend to watch a game under those conditions. 

• Like 1

This what I miss about going to a game at the MCG. It's like that at Subiaco Ovel in Perth. They love to pick on you when your wearing a Dees jumper and they're smashing you put as soon as the shoe is on the other foot they can't handle it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nasher said:

This seems to be talking about a particular member's room at the ground - that seems fair to me. Don't be a [censored] when you're a guest of the AFC. Be as much of a [censored] as you want (within reason) if you've paid to sit amongst the general public.

Precious. Don't be so precious if they/we  lose. It's a game... you want to pay a small fortune that's on you. Be inclusive none the less, have a laugh about it ffs.

• Like 1

I was at the game in 2015 when we beat  them, and Bernie tagged Danger.

I was very impressed by the Adelaide supporters that night. As I was leaving my seat for the exit, quite a few Adelaide supporters saw the Demon scarf and said " good on ya, mate, they played well!"

There was absolutely no aggro.

I've been to about half a dozen Melb games in Adelaide, and have never had a problem with their fans.

I hope our supporters  can be good sports too!(after yelling their lungs out during the games!)

I really like the entertainment there, too.

• Like 3

I dislike Melbourne and opposition supporters equally. Adelaide supporters have asked me to stop clapping while melbourne supporters tried to tell me it's illegal to stand up and applaud the players after a goal. 

I once got told I was clapping too loudly at a Leagues club in Sydney while watching us pull the Swannies apart. 

So I just cackled, cavorted and crowed instead.

and they still looked unhappy... 

:P

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

I was very impressed by the Adelaide supporters that night. As I was leaving my seat for the exit, quite a few Adelaide supporters saw the Demon scarf and said " good on ya, mate, they played well!"

I've been to about half a dozen Melb games in Adelaide, and have never had a problem with their fans.

I hope our supporters  can be good sports too!(after yelling their lungs out during the games!)

In the early years of Football Park the place was positively dangerous for opposition supporters . The Cheer Squad needed security to safely get to and from their bus . A visit to a bar at half time was a menacing experience . There were signs and banners with welcoming messages such as  " Kick A Vic " !

50 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I dislike Melbourne and opposition supporters equally. Adelaide supporters have asked me to stop clapping while melbourne supporters tried to tell me it's illegal to stand up and applaud the players after a goal. 

Geez we must have sat in front of the same person was wondering why my seat was vacant as I got it late, will be vacant again next year 

2 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

We beat them in 2014. In 2015 when Bernie tagged Danger we had our opportunities and lead by 20 odd in the forst half, but ended up losing by 4 goals.

1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

I once got told I was clapping too loudly at a Leagues club in Sydney while watching us pull the Swannies apart. 

So I just cackled, cavorted and crowed instead.

and they still looked unhappy... 

:P

I get told off most weeks. I'm very vocal and I love antagonising. It's hilarious. Likewise, people around me love antagonising me. It's all good fun and one of the things I love about attending football games, rather than sitting at home and shouting at the TV.

• Like 2

I regard myself as a vocal supporter...enjoy a bit of banter & never abuse my own players or the opposition. (Scully excepted & players who commit "dog" acts) ....however I found the Adelaide members very intimidating & the fact that maybe they can drink in their seats as well as the bar & being a Sat night meant I was very quiet.  Unless you are in an area with other Melb supporters I for one kept quiet & inwardly gloated.  Have never felt like that before .....

7 hours ago, dee-eee said:

In the early years of Football Park the place was positively dangerous for opposition supporters . The Cheer Squad needed security to safely get to and from their bus . A visit to a bar at half time was a menacing experience . There were signs and banners with welcoming messages such as  " Kick A Vic " !

You're talking about a supporter-base which was famously known at the time as the 'Chardonnay Club'? I was a Footy Park member from the AFL get-go, and I always felt that the 40,000 Crows supporters would get quite easily intimidated by a very small contingent of toothless Pies or Tigers fans. Never saw any biffo whatsoever in all my years of attending, and find it bizarre that people are talking of a threatening environment. We Crow-eaters are are odd and inbred lot, but beside a mass-murderer here and there and the ultra-perverted underground criminal elite, we're hardly what could be described as menacing.

• Like 4

A mate who's from Adelaide said some crows fans used to urinate in plastic bottles and throw it on the opposition fans at Footy Park.. If that isn't menacing not sure what is.

Edited by danielE288

12 minutes ago, danielE288 said:

A mate who's from Adelaide said some crows fans used to urinate in plastic bottles and throw it on the opposition fans at Footy Park.. If that isn't menacing not sure what is.

Just chardonnay mate. And no one throws away 5c refunds on bottles like that.

• Like 3

I have lived in Adelaide for the last 17 years, and of course remained a Dees supporter throughout that time. It has been hard. A lot of crows supporters choose to understand little about the rules. It is strange when you go to a game there and support anyone apart from the crows or port. Kids look at you wearing your beanie, scarf and guernsey as though you are mentally deranged, and when you support your team vocally its almost like they are offended that you barrack for someone else. 

At the crows v Melbourne game last year or maybe the year before, my family (all Dees supporters) and I went and we kicked a few goals ahead in the second quarter and were cheering loudly. A bloke behind us told us to "go back to Victoria" with a few expletives. My brother and I and our brother in-law (all about 6 foot 5) stood up and told him (with expletives) that we actually live here and that not every sheep need go for the crows. He wasn't there after half time. Pathetic.

Went to a game years ago when Essendon were playing Adelaide (got free tickets) at Footy Park, Andrew McLeod took about 35 bounces down the wing and was chased down from behind and was obviously called for holding the ball. A crows supporter in front of me was hurling abuse at the umpire for the "horrible decision". When he finally sat down, I calmly leaned over his shoulder and asked him to kindly learn the rules of the game before he come back next time (with a few expletives). He again wasn't there after quarter time!

Pack mentality. If they all do it they think it's fine. If someone tells them otherwise they can't handle it. I'd imagine the same problem in Perth. They really should get to more games in Victoria where the crowd is a more evenly split or they may even be (god forbid) the minority.

I have no issue with this at all. It all comes down to expectations and standards of behavior. If you want to go into the MCC, you need a collared shirt and you need to be more civil than in the cheersquad. If you wish to get into the long room you need to meet those standards of both dress and behaviour or you will be kicked out. 

This is really no different, if you are invited into this room by an AFC member then you need to act respectfully towards their rules and that it is their space. That doesn't mean you can't support your team, or cheer, or get exited, but you need to be respectfully restrained in doing so. It is kind of like being invited to meet your new partners family for the first time, who are all mad Collingwood supporters, so you go to Queens Birthday, you really aren't going to go banana's during that as you will wish to be respectful.

If you buy a ticket in the stands and sit with everyone else then you can go as hard as you like with the standards of that area (which is pretty lose and almost do as you please).

• Like 2

I have spent some time in SA. Generally its a very like-able place.

Some observations:

It has a different culture to Vic and that include's football culture.

It is more parochial than Vic.  Locals are encouraged to buy SA goods. There is a much stronger focus on jobs for SA. 

Melbourne and Vic tends to be left out of the news particularly footy news. It's Crows and Port news but little or no coverage of other clubs. 

SA has a stronger footy culture than Vic. The minor leagues including country leagues are much stronger than Vic. If you go to a league such as the Greater Southern Football League, most towns have a team and strong depth in colts/juniors. The standard of football is better than in Vic. The competition is tough but not as dirty as local Victorian leagues and I would say that matches are conducted in a much better spirit than in Victoria. You are expected to do the right thing. There is less competition with the other sports, such as soccer and rugby etc. Similarly for girls, netball is huge.

South Aussies are more polite, courteous and private than Victorians. They tend to be less overtly critical and do not gossip about one another. Interaction/communication tends to be circuitous and less direct. This can be very frustrating as conversations take longer and can be very indirect. You don't  necessarily get an answer to your question first up or you don't ask the question first up. There is the feeling that everyone knows everyone and networks go back over many generations. Like a small country town, you need to be careful what you say. There is clearly less ethnic diversity and people are more homogeneous.   There are more rules and etiquette is observed. Sometimes rules are observed, sometimes not, and sometimes etiquette is more important than the rules. There is the sense of either being an insider or an outsider. If you come from Victoria, you are clearly an outsider. There are things you will never know or never be told because you are an outsider. 

There is a stronger divide than in Melbourne between those that are part of the old establishment and the rest.  The quiet unstated sense of superiority from old Adelaide, particularly if you went to one of the establishment private schools such as St Peters or PAC, is very strong and influences social groupings and jobs. 

This sense of superiority tends to be more strongly displayed by Crows supporters than PA supporters.  They expect to win all the time and there is less resilience to defeat. Just look at recent weeks. They would not have been able to comprehend a loss to Melbourne last week. 

At local footy games, supporters are very polite to one another and there is less baiting of opposition supporters, even where the supporters look as feral as anywhere else.

In regard to footy there are different groupings.

There are the Crows and PA supporters. As everyone knows they hate one another, and that hatred has stronger roots than the Vic rivalries. And often the hatred between the two SA clubs is stronger than hatred for Vic clubs. 

Crows and PA supporters still hate interstate clubs. Kick a Vic is still often talked about, probably stemming from the old days of interstate footy, when Victoria dominated the competition and when many ex-SA footballers played for VFL sides and indeed for the VFL state side. Many South Aussies think that Victorians behave in an arrogant, and sometimes rude or superior manner.  

Many South Aussies also support a side in the SANFL.

Many South Aussies have a soft spot for a Vic club, probably as a result of the old days of state based leagues.

A minority of South Aussies support a Vic club over a local club. I met quite a lot of Demon fans in SA. 

I have probably made many generalizations and my comments are perhaps loosely formed opinions. However, if nothing else there are major differences between South Aussies and Victorians and this is reflected in many things including footy. 

• Like 4

Yes. SA is different to Vic ;)