Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Destination Club MFC

22 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Melksham, Jetta, Hibberd, Salem, Lewis, Vince, Jones, Wagner, Harmes and Smith (have I forgotten someone) all capable of playing small back if needed. Some obviously better than others but all capable of AFL footy. 

We don't need Zac if we want to play Hunt forward. FTR I like Hunt forward or more particularly on the ball and I'm not necessarily against Zac, I just don't believe we "need" him to release Hunt. 

Of the group you have listed, Lewis and Vince are nearer to the end of their careers and Harmes is very poor on disposal. I dont see NJ playing there realistically. However that still leaves 6 players and maybe Maynard as a future option making 7, so as you say we don't need Zac Jones to move Hunt. BTW you might recall I pushed for Zac a couple of years ago, before his value rose.

That said he would find a place in our backline clearly and others like maybe Melksham would be moved on. I see a lot of improvement in Wagner to come.

Lever, or a similar player however, would have to be a high priority, as you can then have more versatility in the side, like using Tom Mac in spells forward and in the ruck like last week. I actually think Tom is a hard match up, when pinch hitting in the ruck and going forward. 

No doubt as we get talked up in the media and play some good footy, we become far more attractive to other players and their managers.

So unlucky ( again ) for us, that Jack Trengove didn't pass his Tiger's medical, as Lever would now be in red and blue. If we are a chance to get him, I see it costing players more than picks and the Crows wouldn't want rubbish.

My take on our needs is, another key back and 2 outside mids with pace and disposal skill. While still needing to improve his disposal, Hunt could be one of those outside mids and gaining a Zac Jones, while helpful but not essential,  could make that easier.

• Like 3

I would have thought Zac slots into our list better as a mid than a defender. Just me possibly

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Of the group you have listed, Lewis and Vince are nearer to the end of their careers and Harmes is very poor on disposal. I dont see NJ playing there realistically. However that still leaves 6 players and maybe Maynard as a future option making 7, so as you say we don't need Zac Jones to move Hunt. BTW you might recall I pushed for Zac a couple of years ago, before his value rose.

That said he would find a place in our backline clearly and others like maybe Melksham would be moved on. I see a lot of improvement in Wagner to come.

Lever, or a similar player however, would have to be a high priority, as you can then have more versatility in the side, like using Tom Mac in spells forward and in the ruck like last week. I actually think Tom is a hard match up, when pinch hitting in the ruck and going forward. 

No doubt as we get talked up in the media and play some good footy, we become far more attractive to other players and their managers.

So unlucky ( again ) for us, that Jack Trengove didn't pass his Tiger's medical, as Lever would now be in red and blue. If we are a chance to get him, I see it costing players more than picks and the Crows wouldn't want rubbish.

My take on our needs is, another key back and 2 outside mids with pace and disposal skill. While still needing to improve his disposal, Hunt could be one of those outside mids and gaining a Zac Jones, while helpful but not essential,  could make that easier.

Don't forget that we also have Joel Smith coming back (and Garland still on our list)! Our depth down back isn't too bad and some players like Smith have an exciting upside and are creative.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CBDees said:

Don't forget that we also have Joel Smith coming back (and Garland still on our list)! Our depth down back isn't too bad and some players like Smith have an exciting upside and are creative.

Smith was named in the group I referred to in Vogon's post. I don't see Garland on our list next year even if contracted. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I would have thought Zac slots into our list better as a mid than a defender. Just me possibly

I agree, we have a lot of good options coming off half back currently at the club and I'm still of the opinion that the player we need off the half back line is just nursing an AC joint. 

We need to identify a few younger talls that we can groom as ruck forwards. or tall defenders, I think Spencil, for the benefit of his own game is going to need to find another club in order to get a number one ruck gig. Can't see us ever playing him and Gawn in the same team, and his currency is at it's prime for both him and us as a club...

Honestly I can't see a lot of holes in our list except for a key back with good footskills, 

We are turning into a destination club, but I still think the best prospects for elite players exist already on our list. 

I am no longer fussed that every 'star' is being linked to St Kilda and Richmond... let them screw up their lists by playing over the odds for a player. Regardless of who they might land, they have several other holes in their lists that need attention.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Melksham, Jetta, Hibberd, Salem, Lewis, Vince, Jones, Wagner, Harmes and Smith (have I forgotten someone) all capable of playing small back if needed. Some obviously better than others but all capable of AFL footy. 

We don't need Zac if we want to play Hunt forward. FTR I like Hunt forward or more particularly on the ball and I'm not necessarily against Zac, I just don't believe we "need" him to release Hunt. 

Hunt's pace is vital off half back to break the lines when we're pushed back there. Maybe only Harmes and Melksham could play that line breaker. That to me is why we'd want Jones, not to lose that run when Hunt is released. But each to their own.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, A F said:

Lever doesn't fit your 25 year old defender requirement though, Steve.

And yes, of course, this would be a dream. Lever is a very, very good player and would compliment Frost, Hibberd, Jetta and Hunt perfectly.

True.

However he plays well beyond his years. 

Which goes completely against those who like to think all young key defenders take time to develop. Some aspects of a key defender's game take time. But there are also players who have really strong fundamental skills that are shown almost from their first game and Lever being the high draft pick he was, possesses those traits/skills.

Unlike Oscar for example who most on here hope/believe will become a great defender. But he doesn't possess the same strong fundamental skills that Lever does.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stevethemanjordan said:

True.

However he plays well beyond his years. 

Which goes completely against those who like to think all young key defenders take time to develop. They do, sure. But there are also player who have really strong fundamental skills that are shown almost from their first game and Lever being the high draft pick he was, possesses those traits/skills.

Unlike Oscar for example who most on here hope/believe will become a great defender. But he doesn't possess those strong fundamental skills that Lever does.

To me it's irrelevant whether Lever possesses them now and Oscar doesn't. As you imply, most don't play to their strengths until 25+.

I actually think Oscar's position on the list long term is safer than Tommy's.

• Like 1

Just now, A F said:

To me it's irrelevant whether Lever possesses them now and Oscar doesn't. As you imply, most don't play to their strengths until 25+.

I actually think Oscar's position on the list long term is safer than Tommy's.

Irrelevant?

Lever is far more advanced in many facets of the game and is also a much more versatile key defender due to his superior athletic abilities. That is extremely relevant given the way the game is now played. 

I'm not potting Oscar. But there is absolutely no question that Lever is and will be the better key defender.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

May from Gold Coast has been mooted by the media as a MFC target...

He's the one I want. Is exactly what we lack, a big, strong full back.

Lever is no doubt a good player, but he is more suited to the 2nd or 3rd tall, which we already have 3 in Frost, Omac & Tmac. 

I would love either of them, but my preference would be May due to his age and size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

Smith was named in the group I referred to in Vogon's post. I don't see Garland on our list next year even if contracted. 

Agree Red but we only have so many dollars to spend so they have to be carefully targeted. I'm not sure Jones us a priority. 

No issue if we get him though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Irrelevant?

Lever is far more advanced in many facets of the game and is also a much more versatile key defender due to his superior athletic abilities. That is extremely relevant given the way the game is now played. 

I'm not potting Oscar. But there is absolutely no question that Lever is and will be the better key defender.

There is a question about "will be". 

Your irrational dislike of Oscar is just silly. It's likely that Lever will be better than Oscar and it's likely Oscar will develop into a good and possibly very good footballer. 

It's time to leave your future absolutes behind. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Agree Red but we only have so many dollars to spend so they have to be carefully targeted. I'm not sure Jones us a priority. 

No issue if we get him though. 

I don't think Jones is a priority either. A "Lever type" would be. It would just add so much to the side, allowing others to be moved around as well.

Another Hunt ( or two) is a priority, but they don't grow on trees.

It would be great for us if Hulett and White could step up as our depth would increase dramatically.

Edited by Redleg

Are we a destination club,possibly not,so we must recruit the right sort of young people who are going to be ready made AFL players. I don't think we should trade our first round pick and future 1st round pick. Who is going to be delisted and what is their trade value going to be.Hpoefully White,King and Maynard kick on.J.Smith will be a bonus. What can we trade,Spencer (4th rd pick),JKH (no value),Garland (no longer insurance hence no value). If we can score another Hunt,Petracca,Oliver,CHF and CHB that would be great but optimism over kill.

8 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

He's the one I want. Is exactly what we lack, a big, strong full back.

Lever is no doubt a good player, but he is more suited to the 2nd or 3rd tall, which we already have 3 in Frost, Omac & Tmac. 

I would love either of them, but my preference would be May due to his age and size.

I see where you're coming from, mate, but to me we need a top line intercept marker. That's Lever. May is a more traditional full back. May's disposal is a plus though.

Would certainly take either, don't get me wrong, but Lever suits our game style slightly more I reckon.

On 19/05/2017 at 4:17 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

Im not one to get sucked in by trade rumours but an Essendon supporter posted a couple of interesting posts in regards to Zac Jones and few other. Apparently he has very close contacts at the Dees and i think he was the same bloke that was also harping on Hibberd our prime target around August.

Anyway here are some of his post.

Melbourne heavily into him. Very confident that he'll play in red and blue next year.

His brother is a nice part of it but that's down on the list for Melbourne. He's the #1 target for you guys this year, will mostly be played off HB if you do get him.

And then on Daniel Mcstay 

Melbourne are interested in him. Probably #3 on their list right now.

Also there was a little comment on Jake Lever who he said that we were hugely into but were inform that he was set to sign soon. And then this comment..

Oh, Lever was your #1 target. Your list management team have identified 2 places where you can push ahead of the pack: outside players with pace (Jones in is to push Hunt further up the field) and a 3rd tall player with intercept skills. McStay is currently second on the list there, behind someone north of the Murray. The talent you have on your list is fantastic.

Just to repeat that this was a passionate Essendon who apparently has strong links to the MFC.

Was this on Bigfooty? Read a post a few years ago by an Essendon supporter too, the year we almost beat Port in Alice. He was commenting on how Roos had spent a week on th paddock modifying a game plan to beat Port when they were in red hot form, there was a bit of back and forth with oppo fans but that Essendon poster claiming that they were an employee of the MFC. Wondering if it's the same person

25 minutes ago, Goffer said:

Was this on Bigfooty? Read a post a few years ago by an Essendon supporter too, the year we almost beat Port in Alice. He was commenting on how Roos had spent a week on th paddock modifying a game plan to beat Port when they were in red hot form, there was a bit of back and forth with oppo fans but that Essendon poster claiming that they were an employee of the MFC. Wondering if it's the same person

Possibly.

I remember around August last year he mentioned that we were heavily into Hibberd and was set to be a Demon. So who knows.

10 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

On his form so far this season, I'm happy that Prestia didn't see us as a destination club (if the rumours are true that we were interested). 

I copped so much [censored] on the Draft board during trade period for calling him a B grader when everyone else was saying he was an A grader.

Turns out I was being generous.  Pick 6, good job Tigers lol