Abe

Sam Frost

65 posts in this topic

Bit of love for Sam over the last few weeks! 

Not only did he totally shut down a very good and in form tex walker but his rebound and ball use were also very exciting! 

I reckon he's had a break out few games and I can't see him going out of the side anytime soon unless he gets injured. 

Hes always athletically been pretty special, nearly as quick as Jayden hunt but key position size. Could be a fantastic key defender for us for a long time. And i really liked tommy forward so if he allows him to be a swing man it just makes us even more dangerous and unpredictable 

25 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His closing/take off speed is exceptional and have saved us on a number of occasions in the last 3 weeks. Great to see him have a clear run at it and he looks like he could be a very good long term player for us, a real key player in that backline to push us into finals.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logical matchup for Waite this weekend, who has stitched us up a number of times in the past.  I felt the backline looked as strong as I could remember against Adelaide.  Long may it continue.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Logical matchup for Waite this weekend, who has stitched us up a number of times in the past.  I felt the backline looked as strong as I could remember against Adelaide.  Long may it continue.

Certainly was, and a winning and pressuring midfield and half forward line helped their cause too. Very few "easy" entries. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has really cleaned up his disposal/decision making, has always been an amazing athlete, will be very dangerous for us  He has been outstanding!

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear all he does is turn on a switch then goes full beast mode. Love his aggressive  style and intensity.

12 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abe said:

Bit of love for Sam over the last few weeks! 

Not only did he totally shut down a very good and in form tex walker but his rebound and ball use were also very exciting! 

I reckon he's had a break out few games and I can't see him going out of the side anytime soon unless he gets injured. 

Hes always athletically been pretty special, nearly as quick as Jayden hunt but key position size. Could be a fantastic key defender for us for a long time. And i really liked tommy forward so if he allows him to be a swing man it just makes us even more dangerous and unpredictable 

Frost has always had the look of an excitable puppy when he has the ball but I swear he made a couple of extra laps around Tex before running off him just to emphasise the speed difference. 

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hells bells said:

Logical matchup for Waite this weekend, who has stitched us up a number of times in the past.  I felt the backline looked as strong as I could remember against Adelaide.  Long may it continue.

One week is a long time in football. After the Hawthorn loss our back line was 'disgraceful' and we needed two more high quality tall defenders if we were ever going to beat anyone again.

Props to Frosty who is playing some really good footy. Love how he takes the game on with dash out of the back line, but it can be a bit frustrating when he gains 20 metres on foot and then handballs to a stationary player. Hopefully he'll iron out the little kinks with time but he's coming along nicely.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#: 9   Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hells bells said:

Logical matchup for Waite this weekend, who has stitched us up a number of times in the past.  I felt the backline looked as strong as I could remember against Adelaide.  Long may it continue.

Agreed.  I think we have really hit a critical mass of quality players down there with Frost, Salem, Hunt, Hibbard and Jetta.  With this quality core, I think it takes the pressure of Oscar a bit and I even thought he was pretty solid on the weekend.  Having both Hunt and Frost with blistering pace makes it pretty had for the oppo to shut down both.

Was really impressed with how our back line got on top of Adelaide's forwards.  From the mid way point of the second quarter, it was as if Tex and Eddie were non-existent.  As others have said our mids also probably played a role in this, but it would have been easy for us to have leaked a few goals from entries here and there to keep them in the game - didn't happen.  So much for being dominated by the Crows talls!

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#: 10   Posted (edited)

Oh yeah and please keep Bernie in the mid field or forward for the most part.  I think he can be an effective sweeper down their on occasions, but I don't think it's his best role and the backline functioned so well on the weekend in his absence, why break away from a winning formula.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hells bells said:

Logical matchup for Waite this weekend, who has stitched us up a number of times in the past.  I felt the backline looked as strong as I could remember against Adelaide.  Long may it continue.

I think we'll see Tmac forward again this weekend so Frost must mind Waite because he'll be far too strong for Oscar. 

The thing I really liked about Frost's game on Saturday was how calm he seemed on Tex. There was niggle all over the ground but I can't recall seeing anything between Sam and Tex which could indicate a level of respect being earned to go along with his development. He just seems to be playing with a cool head, executing what the coaches have tasked him with.

I'd like to see Waite try it on and we all know he probably will. I think young Sam might have his measure in the strength department so it's a match-up I'm really looking forward to.

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hells bells said:

Logical matchup for Waite this weekend, who has stitched us up a number of times in the past.  I felt the backline looked as strong as I could remember against Adelaide.  Long may it continue.

Waite is a very clever player, let's see how Frost goes against him this weekend before getting too excited.

I think we still need a good key defender who can use the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's only given away 3 free kicks as well, while being 4 frees for. Although he's played a couple of extra games, Tom McDonald has given away 11 free kicks in comparison. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

He's only given away 3 free kicks as well, while being 4 frees for. Although he's played a couple of extra games, Tom McDonald has given away 11 free kicks in comparison. 

 

[censored] tom mcdonald!

 

Jokes....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Abe said:

Bit of love for Sam over the last few weeks! 

Not only did he totally shut down a very good and in form tex walker but his rebound and ball use were also very exciting! 

I reckon he's had a break out few games and I can't see him going out of the side anytime soon unless he gets injured. 

Hes always athletically been pretty special, nearly as quick as Jayden hunt but key position size. Could be a fantastic key defender for us for a long time. And i really liked tommy forward so if he allows him to be a swing man it just makes us even more dangerous and unpredictable 

I agree with all of that except McDonald forward.

McDonald forward can work well as an element of surprise, but I don't see it as a set position, or his best position.  It's a handy ploy on occasions, but more mid game.

Frost has been a revelation recently and is becoming pivotal to the backline. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy watching Frost play but his kicking has, up until recently, been so poor it has held him back. He seems to have found a way to even out his kicking which in the past 2 games has benn outstanding. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have enjoyed Frostys games this year. Really hope he gets a really long run with no issues so he can build on the confidence in himself that he has created over the last few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frosty has been great but I thibk tmac takes waite and frost on Brown.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And how good is Hibberd? We have snagged one here.....

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Frosty. What a freak.

imagine him running at you at full tilt about to tackle you.

great to see him have a good run at it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#: 21   Posted (edited)

I agree with all the positives about Sam.  The thing that excites me most is the speed of his recent development.  I always had the view that while he had some good attributes, his 'clumsiness' and often 'wonky' decision making and disposal, would restrict him to being a somewhat risky kpd.  I'm pleased to say that he's really proved me wrong over the last month.  He seems to have tidied up the rough edges of his game and is becoming a 'weapon' off half back.  Based on his present form, it won't be long  before we are including him in conversations about the 'young guns' who are a critical part of our future success.  Sam has come a long way in a very short time, and I reckon there's still a fair bit to go.

 

Edited by Deeoldfart
Typo
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I agree with all of that except McDonald forward.

McDonald forward can work well as an element of surprise, but I don't see it as a set position, or his best position.  It's a handy ploy on occasions, but more mid game.

Frost has been a revelation recently and is becoming pivotal to the backline. 

I've just "liked" Abe's post but also have this reservation about the McDonald move. At least it shows that pinch-hitting with Tom forward may be a tool to use. 

Frosty seems to have gone to another level in terms of confidence and capability with ball in hand, to add to his speed. A nice upgrade!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tim said:

I've just "liked" Abe's post but also have this reservation about the McDonald move. At least it shows that pinch-hitting with Tom forward may be a tool to use. 

Frosty seems to have gone to another level in terms of confidence and capability with ball in hand, to add to his speed. A nice upgrade!

Why the reservation? Tom is great one on one, he'll either mark it or halve the contest and create crumbing opportunities. I think it would and could be a real long term prospect should the coaching staff pursue it...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luther said:

One week is a long time in football. After the Hawthorn loss our back line was 'disgraceful' and we needed two more high quality tall defenders if we were ever going to beat anyone again.

Props to Frosty who is playing some really good footy. Love how he takes the game on with dash out of the back line, but it can be a bit frustrating when he gains 20 metres on foot and then handballs to a stationary player. Hopefully he'll iron out the little kinks with time but he's coming along nicely.

Big difference was that there never appeared to be any stationary players v Adelaide.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Danelska said:

Why the reservation? Tom is great one on one, he'll either mark it or halve the contest and create crumbing opportunities. I think it would and could be a real long term prospect should the coaching staff pursue it...

Just a view. Prefer to see him as a key back doing the strong job he's done there. I just think it's what he does best. Reminds me of the Harry Taylor experiment at Geelong - has been used successfully as a swing man during games, but doesn't seem to be a success as a permanent forward - a case of robbing Peter to rob Paul as well, the opposite of a win/win. 

The subject of this thread in fact was being used in his early days with us as a forward, but he just screamed defender, and his performance seems to confirm that; maybe he could pinch-hit up forward during games when we are in trouble, and it might work, but would be surprised if Project Send Frosty Forward proved successful. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.