Deestroy All

Jeff Garlett, give him some love.

94 posts in this topic

Was pondering this myself recently.  To me he has been up all season so far - looking committed defensively and dangerous offensively, in pretty much every game.  

Close to career best form for mine, or at worst, best form since he's been here.  If he continues on current pace, he will kick over 50 goals, which he's never done before, so that supports the case.

Really pleasing to see, because I also thought fell away last year.  I guess you never know the environmental things that impact a player's form, but whatever it was seems to have been sorted as he's been great.

Still can't believe we picked him up from the tip shop.  Thanks again Mick.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeffy has been huge this year. And the best thing is he has been consistent. Opportunistic, great defensive pressure, reliable and accurate. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#: 4   Posted (edited)

It's not only the number of tackles but how he tackles is what I've really liked from him so far. When he tackles the opposition they are almost always brought to ground and either the ball spills free or we get a stoppage inside the forward 50 and very rarely do they get a clean possession away. 

Edited by Daily Dose of Demons
Apparently tackles only count if effective
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nasher said:

 

Really pleasing to see, because I also thought fell away last year.  I guess you never know the environmental things that impact a player's form, but whatever it was seems to have been sorted as he's been great.

Could be the beard, which has been proven to enhance performance. 

 

I'll also add that he gets ripped off for holding the ball after his tackles at least once a game. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Just wanted to start a new thread on Jeff's 2017 form. It's outstanding. 

He's in elite territory this season when it comes to small forwards. 

20 goals, equal to the raved about Toby Greene and Robbie Gray. 5 behind Betts who plays in the highest scoring team in the league. 

35 tackles, which is miles above any forward other than Charlie Dixon (if you can believe that) with 30. Betts has 22, Gray 19, Greene 16. 

Not only his tackling, just his pressure in general has been fantastic, honestly like a new player, he's always chasing. Was nothing like this last year. 

For me his most impressive games have been in our losses, hard position to play in and he's really worked his arse off in those losses. 

I thought he was falling away a bit last year, but it's time he got some acknowledgement for his form of late. 

My 3 year old daughters fav player,Jeffy Jeffy when he takes a mark or kicks a goal. Awesome form.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Daily Dose of Demons said:

It's not only the number of tackles but how he tackles is what I've really liked from him so far. When he tackles the opposition they are almost always brought to ground and either the ball spills free or we get a stoppage inside the forward 50 and very rarely do they get a clean possession away.

Can't believe that out of all the stats we have nowadays effective tackles aren't talked about more. 

Apparently tackles only count if they are effective. A tackle is not counted if the player gets away a possession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Apparently tackles only count if they are effective. A tackle is not counted if the player gets away a possession.

Interesting, I feel like that creates a heap of interpretation as to whether the player gets a possession away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Daily Dose of Demons said:

Interesting, I feel like that creates a heap of interpretation as to whether the player gets a possession away. 

Well I guess if a player is tackled a stat can only count in one direction. Either a kick, handpass or tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Just wanted to start a new thread on Jeff's 2017 form. It's outstanding. 

He's in elite territory this season when it comes to small forwards. 

20 goals, equal to the raved about Toby Greene and Robbie Gray. 5 behind Betts who plays in the highest scoring team in the league. 

35 tackles, which is miles above any forward other than Charlie Dixon (if you can believe that) with 30. Betts has 22, Gray 19, Greene 16. 

Not only his tackling, just his pressure in general has been fantastic, honestly like a new player, he's always chasing. Was nothing like this last year. 

For me his most impressive games have been in our losses, hard position to play in and he's really worked his arse off in those losses. 

I thought he was falling away a bit last year, but it's time he got some acknowledgement for his form of late. 

Extra like!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Well I guess if a player is tackled a stat can only count in one direction. Either a kick, handpass or tackle.

But what if the tackle effects the kick or handpass is that then a pressure act? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has really improved his goal-kicking this year, especially from set shots. 

2015: 40.29

2016: 29.14

2017: 20.6 

18 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Daily Dose of Demons said:

But what if the tackle effects the kick or handpass is that then a pressure act? 

 

Dunno, maybe it has to be an effective disposal? I'll have to check the champion data definitions.

On topic, I agree Garlett has been fantastic this year has really gone up a level. Playing a more mature team oriented game but kicking more goals as a consequence.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highlights the nullity of 'pressure acts' in isolation. The difference between 'corralling' and making the opposition absolutely [censored] themselves into a hurried disposal. You can see he's really getting his kicks from it and has had a few direct holding-the-ball rewards this season.

The big improvement on last year: I said before that I actually thought he was down on touch on the weekend, but he didn't drop his head and kept the intensity up. And in some of the wins/losses where we've been behind toward the end, he's been consistently one of the few to really lift and try and create a spark up the field. 

Worth adding - since the preseason, I've noticed he's quite often there in the right spot when we've raffled a goal (one of Pedo's on the weekend was an example). Could have been on the end of a more still.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post & loving his tackling this year. Always dangerous even if closely marked. Love provided.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#: 16   Posted (edited)

Love him. Good on ya, Jeffy. Reckon he's even better than his first year with us.

That's a terrific stat that tackle stat. Very impressive.

Edited by A F
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until this year I wasn't super confident when he had a set shot but he seems to have really improved there! 

I reckon he's going to have a massive game at some point and blow it open 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's always had my love.

In fact, despite some pretty stiff competition these days, he's possibly my favourite player.

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His form definitely dipped last year but boy has he got his mojo in 2017! I feel like with someone like Jeffy it starts with being involved with pressure acts/tackling and that energy flows onto goals/score involvements. 

Hes got to be the biggest steal of a player we've got for a very long time. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#: 21   Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dunno, maybe it has to be an effective disposal? I'll have to check the champion data definitions.

On topic, I agree Garlett has been fantastic this year has really gone up a level. Playing a more mature team oriented game but kicking more goals as a consequence.

Agreed.

I think there may a little less of the mercurial and more of the percentage plays from Jeff this year, not that he isn't capable of the odd freak goal every now and then, I think he is just summing up the situations better and as you say doing the team thing.  His passes to setup team mates in better positions epitomise this, he had a few rippers on the weekend.  I think there is also a little less of him trying to take on the world and fail with his run and carry, which I think is also assisted by the team having others in good positions to palm it off to, where's in previous years it might just have been Jeff out the back with nothing else between him and the goals.

Would love to see the stats on his goal assists over the years if anyone hasees access to those.

Have always been a huge Jeffy fan and great to see he's back in good touch.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Dunno, maybe it has to be an effective disposal? I'll have to check the champion data definitions.

On topic, I agree Garlett has been fantastic this year has really gone up a level. Playing a more mature team oriented game but kicking more goals as a consequence.

I work for CD. Can confirm that if a disposal is ineffective or a clanger, and the pressure is graded as a 3 (physical) it counts as a tackle.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great addition to the MFC family

My Carlscum mate is still furious at what happened. 

10 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post. My kids love "Jeffy".

Hard position to play and as with Eddie Betts, you can't shine every week.

Carlscum must be spitting they gave up on J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Daily Dose of Demons said:

It's not only the number of tackles but how he tackles is what I've really liked from him so far. When he tackles the opposition they are almost always brought to ground and either the ball spills free or we get a stoppage inside the forward 50 and very rarely do they get a clean possession away. 

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Well allmost. I'd add to your excellent points that quite a few of his tackles are run down from behind jobs, where the defender is attempting to run it out of our back half. Not only does it create a scoring opportunity it can also foil one as so many goals these days start with run and overlap from the back half.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.