Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes vs North Melbourne

McQueen

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I preface this comment by admitting I haven't seen the game. However, in a purely structural sense, we are a better team when Hogan has additional tall players around him reducing the opportunity for opponents to double- and triple-team him. For this reason, if the decision for Hogan to come in is between Weideman and Hannan, we are a better prospect with Weideman remaining in the team. That doesn't mean that Weideman should definitely remain - only that if there was not that much difference between Weideman and Hannan (or Kent for that matter), I would keep the Weid in the team.

with Hogan out though both Pederson and Tmac went forward with great success kicking 5 or so between them. So I think if we try to replace Weeds with Hoges and still play a similar gamestyle and let Hogan fit into our structure rather than constantly waving, pointing, gesticulating and telling everyone what to do, we might be improved. If he tries to take over the forward line and set things up his way maybe the forward line may go back to the non-functioning outfit we've seen at times.

As for Hannan I thought his second half was terrific against the crows. He got up the ground a lot more and used his speed to advantage. I thought it was his best half of football he's played for the club and I think he's just working out how to be useful to the team. I'm pretty sure the coaching staff would be happy enough with him to stay in the side.

• Like 9

Weids for Hogan. Hogan plays CHF with Watts and Tracc rotating through FF and out wide on the lead.

You dont make significant changes to a team that's just won convincingly on probably the hardest road trip outside of Subiaco against the ladder leaders.  Apart from getting more games into the inexperienced kids and Big M's return that was as good a mix as this list offers right now IMO with possibly Harmes/Stretch fighting their way back in if their form is good enough.

Bugg & T-Mac playing significant roles in forward half worked wonders and the T-Mac option now makes us that much more difficult to defend against.

This week will give us a true indication of whether we have finally matured as a club above the shoulders. Talent across the park is there.  We should be going in as slight favourites. The numbers and stars are aligning.  From here it's purely how they cope upstairs.  Finally we no longer have to wonder whether it's a personnel / list issue.  We are ready to launch and the count down clock is ticking......

3 2 1 ...........

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Rusty Nails said:

Weids for Hogan. Hogan plays CHF with Watts and Tracc rotating through FF and out wide on the lead.

You dont make significant changes to a team that's just won convincingly on probably the hardest road trip outside of Subiaco against the ladder leaders.  Apart from getting more games into the inexperienced kids and Big M's return that was as good a mix as this list offers right now IMO with possibly Harmes/Stretch fighting their way back in if their form is good enough.

Bugg & T-Mac playing significant roles in forward half worked wonders and the T-Mac option now makes us that much more difficult to defend against.

This week will give us a true indication of whether we have finally matured as a club above the shoulders. Talent across the park is there.  We should be going in as slight favourites. The numbers and stars are aligning.  From here it's purely how they cope upstairs.  Finally we no longer have to wonder whether it's a personnel / list issue.  We are ready to launch and the count down clock is ticking......

3 2 1 ...........

Agree with that RN however you have forgotten Hunt being knocked out. He must be very doubtful. 

Edited by old dee

Just now, old dee said:

Agree with that RN however you have forgotten Hunt be knocked out. He must be very doubtful. 

Crikey yes of course....curses OD!

6 5 4 ....

• Like 1

"So I think if we try to replace Weeds with Hoges and still play a similar gamestyle and let Hogan fit into our structure rather than constantly waving, pointing, gesticulating and telling everyone what to do, we might be improved. If he tries to take over the forward line and set things up his way maybe the forward line may go back to the non-functioning outfit we've seen at times"

Fully Agree. This should be a non negotiable and we wont have a fully functioning, flexible,accountable and dangerous forward line unless it is.

You'd expect Hogan to be in  but then it's almost about expecting the unexpected. He might not play again ( this week). Only training will reveal any clue. 

• Like 1

If Hogan is mentally and physically ready to play then he replaces Weiderman.

The team as a whole though need to change the way they enter 50. Hogan stays deep and calls for it long, often while having two men on him. The players need to recognise this and not just bomb it long to him, even if he calls for it. If there are two on him, that means we have a spare player somewhere else, likely charging towards 50. We need to use quick handballs and short kicks to move the ball forward quickly . If there is space, use it. If Hogan is in the goal swear with 2 guys on him, and there is 40 metres of space in front of him, either kick it into the space if he can get on a lead, or run the ball the entire way yourself and have a shot. We did this so much better against Adelaide without Hogan there, and have done the same in the past with him out. We need to learn that lesson and use the available space instead of bombing it to a contest where we will likely lose.

We should account for North this week. Just need to turn up with intensity and play our game. It should be straight forward, but that does't seem possible with this group yet. Hopefully they can take confidence from last weekend and understand that if they work hard they can beat anybody. It's all up to them to work hard all match and not just turn up for a few minutes when they feel like it.

• Like 1

I really think the Weed should be retained but concede he may be the one to give way for Hogan. 

If Hunt is an out i'd prefer Melksham to Harmes. He may be a better foil for Hibbert off half back. 

Anyone who is left out after that win would be mighty stiff. 

I'm comfortable with Hogan coming in for Weideman is Hogan's body and head are ready. I don't mind Weid coming in and out of the team. Normally I dislike that hovering on the edge, but I'm sure he and his family understand that he is 'closing in' on AFL and warrants games when there are gaps, but isn't quite there yet. As long as his mind is set on the 'learn the roles, build your strength, fitness and knowledge, and soon enough you'll be a regular'.

I prefer Nibbler over Bugg. Despite the poor disposal, I like his level of effort and I always respect a good tackle count.

If Hunt is sore, I'd have Stretch in. I think Stretch should be in anyway, thought he was coming along nicely and giving a good consistent performance.

Hannan needs a rest and reset at Casey.

So in total -

In: Hogan, Nibbler, Stretch

Out: Wied, Hannan, Hunt (if sore) or Bugg (if Hunt is ok)

2 minutes ago, Robbie57 said:

I really think the Weed should be retained but concede he may be the one to give way for Hogan. 

If Hunt is an out i'd prefer Melksham to Harmes. He may be a better foil for Hibbert off half back. 

Anyone who is left out after that win would be mighty stiff. 

I'd take Harmes over Melksham.  Hopefully Hunt comes up

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Little Goffy said:

I'm comfortable with Hogan coming in for Weideman is Hogan's body and head are ready. I don't mind Weid coming in and out of the team. Normally I dislike that hovering on the edge, but I'm sure he and his family understand that he is 'closing in' on AFL and warrants games when there are gaps, but isn't quite there yet. As long as his mind is set on the 'learn the roles, build your strength, fitness and knowledge, and soon enough you'll be a regular'.

I prefer Nibbler over Bugg. Despite the poor disposal, I like his level of effort and I always respect a good tackle count.

If Hunt is sore, I'd have Stretch in. I think Stretch should be in anyway, thought he was coming along nicely and giving a good consistent performance.

So in total -

Bugg was good on Saturday night, he stays 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

So in total -

Hannan played one of if not his best pressure games for the season. Bugg chipped in at important stages and kicked a couple of goals.

Hogan for Weed the only change, although Stretch in for Wagner wouldn't upset me greatly.

I have gone through this thread and it is the first time for 5 years there has not been a call for one of the MacDonalds to be sacked.  Hooooray !!

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, dimmy said:

I have gone through this thread and it is the first time for 5 years there has not been a call for one of the MacDonalds to be sacked.  Hooooray !!

Its only Monday, dimmy...

...there is still plenty of time for the anti-Mac's to come out of the woodwork

Great to see that our coach and players are embracing the need to change player position most weeks - for those of you who remember or were around for the dominant Essendon 84-85 era under Sheeds, you will understand that with a young group, having fresh challenges is the way to go and ultimately all 22 have to be able to play in almost every position.

I have potentially three ins and outs for the Roos and a host of other changes.

The first is Hunt. I am sure he will want to play and watching him dance around the team bus filming his Nippy cohorts makes it clear that he thinks he is fine as well.

But why take the risk. Adelaide did so with Lynch and they now have a game lost and a player out of form and possibly still jaded from his KO. If this week was a GF, then Hunt plays. As it's not, then the risk (even if it is only minor), is not worth it. That leaves room for Harmes, Stretch or Melky because we lose pace. Personally I'd give Melky one more week in the VFL, just to get him more aware of the importance of good disposal - playing with VFL players highlights that more.

The second out is either Weeds or Hannan for Hoges. Weids stepped up well, his tackles were super and he brought the ball to ground. Hannan was quiet early but his last quarter cameo in the middle showed he can play at this level - it was great awareness by Goody of how tired our midfielders were getting to send him in there. Sheeds of 84 would have taken note and given Goody the thumbs up. So the good news is that whoever of Weids or Hannan goes out, they go back this time knowing they can perform at AFL level and can go back for a week or two and get ready for their next AFL foray. Personally given we are all about the press, then we have to omit big for big - so Weids is out. Hannan pace and mobility just wins for mine, although personally I'd prefer Harmes in that role.

Hoges comes in and starts in defence on Waite, who will be back from his ban. Hoges needs a fresh challenge and playing him back (even just for a half) may make him realise that tackling hard and not giving up when it's kicked poorly is so Richmond. Waite has that freakish marking knack too, so Hoges might learn something off him. Tarrant will have planned for Hoges, so it is good to have a few game-changers early to muck up planning.

That leaves Frosty on Brown and O-Mac on either Hansen (if he plays forward and is not dropped) or Wood. At some point we switch our new gun forward T-Mac back for Hoges - most likely around half time.

The final change is dependent on match ups. Clearly Wags is still finding his feet, although to his credit he keeps presenting. If North goes small he goes out. If North goes big, he stays in and takes Wood or Hansen. Stretch comes in to cover the outside run, unless it's decided we need more grunt and then ANB gets a gig.

Final comment - given we have not beaten North for almost a decade, I'd hope we are not cocky. And certainly their Kamikaze leader Ziebell will knock the sh.. out of anyone who is not fair dinkum. And I imagine that Oliver will have his first serious tag this week - so hopefully Goody already has plans to rotate him a bit at full forward with Petracca. But provided we do our research, we should win. 

So:

Out: Hunt, Weids and possibly Wags

In: Hoges, Harmes and possibly Stretch

Team 

B: Hibberd Frost Hoges

HB: Jetta O-Mac Salem

C: Vince Viney Lewis

HF: Watts T-Mac Harmes

F: Garlett Oliver Kent

Ru: Pedo Petracca Jones

Int: Hannan, Tyson, Bugg, Stretch (or Wags) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Great to see that our coach and players are embracing the need to change player position most weeks - for those of you who remember or were around for the dominant Essendon 84-85 era under Sheeds, you will understand that with a young group, having fresh challenges is the way to go and ultimately all 22 have to be able to play in almost every position.

I have potentially three ins and outs for the Roos and a host of other changes.

The first is Hunt. I am sure he will want to play and watching him dance around the team bus filming his Nippy cohorts makes it clear that he thinks he is fine as well.

But why take the risk. Adelaide did so with Lynch and they now have a game lost and a player out of form and possibly still jaded from his KO. If this week was a GF, then Hunt plays. As it's not, then the risk (even if it is only minor), is not worth it. That leaves room for Harmes, Stretch or Melky because we lose pace. Personally I'd give Melky one more week in the VFL, just to get him more aware of the importance of good disposal - playing with VFL players highlights that more.

The second out is either Weeds or Hannan for Hoges. Weids stepped up well, his tackles were super and he brought the ball to ground. Hannan was quiet early but his last quarter cameo in the middle showed he can play at this level - it was great awareness by Goody of how tired our midfielders were getting to send him in there. Sheeds of 84 would have taken note and given Goody the thumbs up. So the good news is that whoever of Weids or Hannan goes out, they go back this time knowing they can perform at AFL level and can go back for a week or two and get ready for their next AFL foray. Personally given we are all about the press, then we have to omit big for big - so Weids is out. Hannan pace and mobility just wins for mine, although personally I'd prefer Harmes in that role.

Hoges comes in and starts in defence on Waite, who will be back from his ban. Hoges needs a fresh challenge and playing him back (even just for a half) may make him realise that tackling hard and not giving up when it's kicked poorly is so Richmond. Waite has that freakish marking knack too, so Hoges might learn something off him. Tarrant will have planned for Hoges, so it is good to have a few game-changers early to muck up planning.

That leaves Frosty on Brown and O-Mac on either Hansen (if he plays forward and is not dropped) or Wood. At some point we switch our new gun forward T-Mac back for Hoges - most likely around half time.

The final change is dependent on match ups. Clearly Wags is still finding his feet, although to his credit he keeps presenting. If North goes small he goes out. If North goes big, he stays in and takes Wood or Hansen. Stretch comes in to cover the outside run, unless it's decided we need more grunt and then ANB gets a gig.

Final comment - given we have not beaten North for almost a decade, I'd hope we are not cocky. And certainly their Kamikaze leader Ziebell will knock the sh.. out of anyone who is not fair dinkum. And I imagine that Oliver will have his first serious tag this week - so hopefully Goody already has plans to rotate him a bit at full forward with Petracca. But provided we do our research, we should win. 

So:

Out: Hunt, Weids and possibly Wags

In: Hoges, Harmes and possibly Stretch

Team 

B: Hibberd Frost Hoges

HB: Jetta O-Mac Salem

C: Vince Viney Lewis

HF: Watts T-Mac Harmes

F: Garlett Oliver Kent

Ru: Pedo Petracca Jones

Int: Hannan, Tyson, Bugg, Stretch (or Wags) 

Wagner gives us great run from half back

• Like 1