Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 8

Demonland

1 minute ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Clean sweep of the coaches votes!

• 10  Viney
  • 8  Hibberd
  • 5  Oliver
  • 5  Petracca
  • 2  Vince

That is a seriously dominant performance by our midfield (and Hibberd). 

Well done guys.

Btw Oliver is now 3rd on the leaderboard with 36 votes, to Sloane (42) and Yeo (43), leading such luminaries as Ablett, Bontempelli, Selwood and on it goes.

Wow that's about as close to unanimous as you can get.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Isnt the rule that it is the players responsiblity to avoid the umpire? There was a spate of umpires being crashed into at bounces a few years ago so they changed the rule, of course unless they changed it again.

yes, but it's most probably beholding upon the umpire to not be a total dlck and not be in the wrong spot ffs !!

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

yes, but it's most probably beholding upon the umpire to not be a total dlck and not be in the wrong spot ffs !!

The MRP seems to be punishing consequences and not actual intent or causes. If a player breathed garlic breath on an opponent and caused him to vomit that will be 2 weeks whether he meant it or not. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Isnt the rule that it is the players responsiblity to avoid the umpire? There was a spate of umpires being crashed into at bounces a few years ago so they changed the rule, of course unless they changed it again.

Doesnt explain Guthrie tho...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Bernie gets a $1,000 fine for a blindsided hit with the umpire - deemed 'careless contact'.

Guthrie gets off for pushing the umpire out of the way and he gets off - deemed "It was the view of the panel the contact was not unreasonable in the circumstances"

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-15/match-review-panel-full-statement-round-eight

I'm convinced the MRP has it in for Demon players.

The moment I saw it memories of Jimmy Styne's accidental hit of an umpire came back.

There is a positive duty to avoid the umpire.... hit him/her for any reason and you are in trouble.

I'll take the fine... if I recall Jimmy was rubbed out

• Like 2

too many umps on the field...we saw how much better the decisions with only 2 :rolleyes:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Skuit said:

Never mind the tackle. If it's one I'm thinking of it shouldn't have been holding the ball and while the chase was fantastic the result came about because the Crows were in disarray at the time. Instead, look out for a centre clearance toward the end where he puts on a casual sidestep as he collects to release a clean handball to the open runner. A thing of beauty.

Why shouldn't it have been holding the ball? The Adelaide player ran miles, was tackled, didn't dispose of it and held it across the boundary. If it wasn't holding then it had to be deliberate. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Correct which is why it isn't surprising Bernie got a fine even tho he was blindsided and it was the umpires fault.

The problem is Guthrie literally manhandled the umpire and deliberately pushed him out of the way but was cleared. 

The inconsistency of interpretation is the issue. 

Which is what riles me as our players seem to get the raw deal more often than not.

Right so not sure the handwringing over the fine, thought he may have copped a week knowing the MRP.

6 hours ago, pinkshark said:

I shake my head in wonder that he was not wearing a helmet.

Helmets do nothing for concussion and may actually put you at more risk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Clean sweep of the coaches votes!

• 10  Viney
  • 8  Hibberd
  • 5  Oliver
  • 5  Petracca
  • 2  Vince

That is a seriously dominant performance by our midfield (and Hibberd). 

Well done guys.

Btw Oliver is now 3rd on the leaderboard with 36 votes, to Sloane (42) and Yeo (43), leading such luminaries as Ablett, Bontempelli, Selwood and on it goes.

And 6 points clear on top of the Age rankings. Great stuff Clarrie!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Danelska said:

TMac... I saw someone flagged a Reiwoldt like endurance (the N, not the J) ... I quite like TMAC defensively in all aspects aside from kicking... but jeez, could it be a long term proposition? 

Absolutely it could be! We might have solved the CHF dilemma.

i think Hibberd makes a huge difference. Previously we didn't have a third tall on the backline. Hibberd is tall enough, and good enough to fill that gap which enables Tom MCD to play forward, or on the ball. At the very least Tom will create a contest anywhere he plays. Even when Max comes back I see a role for Tom up forward

20 hours ago, P-man said:

Those who have seen the game on tv will note the sound of the lone Melbourne supporter near the comm box shouting "woo hoo hoo" at different stages during the last quarter. 

Gave me a chuckle hearing a lone voice in a sea of silent Crows fans.

Heard it last year as well when we played port in darwin or alice ,,,very humerous

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Is it just me, or should Sloane be equally liable for pushing Vince into the path of the umpire? This garbage could open up a can of worms like that ...

• Like 1

Watching first qtr again. Teach had first shot in goal and he was taking his time watching the count down clock. Why would the umpire tell him to "move it on"? 

Tommy pointed to the count down clock and ump still told him to hurry up?!

1 minute ago, Red and Bluebeard said:

Is it just me, or should Sloane be equally liable for pushing Vince into the path of the umpire? This garbage could open up a can of worms like that ...

Of course he ought to carry as much of the "blame" he caused it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, old dee said:

Current batting average is 50%  I predicted 13 wins this year which is still just possible and that will have us on the brink AF.

What makes you think there has been a substantial change after one game. I don't think you are but I could easily reply with "wishful" thinking. I prefer to think of myself as realistic. So far I have been close to the money.

2018 is finals time IMO but first I need to see us win 13 this year.

I was saying last week, OD, that the sky wasn't falling and I was confident that we'd click at some stage this season and make the finals. 

I've also said since the Adelaide game that I still expect ups and downs this year. We'll win games we don't expect to win and lose games we expect to win. But I think overall, we've closed the gap between our best and worst (as evidenced by being level or in front in every last quarter this year) and we just need to learn how to win consistently.

2018 will be top 4 time. That should be our aim. I would be deeply disappointed and surprised if we didn't make the finals this year. But, I don't expect that to be the case.

In terms of realism, I think I'm far more realistic. I acknowledge the lows and highs and expect more of that, but also note that our consistency within games has improved markedly this season. I wouldn't call being overly negative (which you do tend to be) realistic, because being negative on this season's output is not taking into account the entire picture.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, A F said:

I was saying last week, OD, that the sky wasn't falling and I was confident that we'd click at some stage this season and make the finals. 

I've also said since the Adelaide game that I still expect ups and downs this year. We'll win games we don't expect to win and lose games we expect to win. But I think overall, we've closed the gap between our best and worst (as evidenced by being level or in front in every last quarter this year) and we just need to learn how to win consistently.

2018 will be top 4 time. That should be our aim. I would be deeply disappointed and surprised if we didn't make the finals this year. But, I don't expect that to be the case.

In terms of realism, I think I'm far more realistic. I acknowledge the lows and highs and expect more of that, but also note that our consistency within games has improved markedly this season. I wouldn't call being overly negative (which you do tend to be) realistic, because being negative on this season's output is not taking into account the entire picture.

This could go on forever A F however I think our both our cases beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

AFLCA votes:

ADELAIDE v MELBOURNE
10 Jack Viney (Melb)
8 Michael Hibberd (Melb)
5 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
5 Christian Petacca (Melb)
2 Bernie Vince (Melb)

Not too hard to work out the breakdown there: the coaches disagreed which of Oliver or Petracca was 3rd or 4th best, and that was it.  I don't recall having seen so close to a unanimous score before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Why shouldn't it have been holding the ball? The Adelaide player ran miles, was tackled, didn't dispose of it and held it across the boundary. If it wasn't holding then it had to be deliberate. 

It's possible then that I don't have a clear understanding of the holding the ball rule. He had prior opportunity but no chance to dispose of it once tackled and the ball was dead across the line.

It contradicts when I think Jetta got a shove in the back toward the fence after the ball was out-of-bounds (my greatest bugbear - and so much more potentially dangerous than the bs frees paid for rolling onto the back in the tackle). Why is general play suspended when the ball goes out in that particular regard?