Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucifer's Hero

AFLW Trade Week

30 posts in this topic

#: 1   Posted (edited)

Here are the rules:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/

Fortunately, they have slightly increased the size of the list.  It will help overcome L-T injuries.

There will be a father/daughter draft option next year.  (Father will need to have played 1 game for a club).

Draft is on mid October.  I assume the draft order is from the bottom up.

We had a core group of 12-15 players this season who played consistently well and we noticeably improved as they played more games together.  Hoping we can keep them all.

We will start hearing of contract re-signings from next Monday.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will be interesting.

I hope none of our key players are lured away, but it's always a possibility. Probably a good sign that there is that core 12-15 group that I'd be sad/annoyed to lose. It won't happen, but can you image Daisy running around in any other jumper? Perish the thought!

In the bigger picture, consistency between lists year to year is so important at this stage, especially in terms of fan's attachments to their gun players. At the same time, there are probably players in the position of wanting to switch teams due to financial limitations, especially geographically.

For the teams looking to fill particular roles that they lacked this season, beyond trading, there's got to be a lot of untapped potential out there in players who didn't nominate for this year for whatever reason. I get the feeling that some superstars are going to come out of nowhere... hopefully to the Dees!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tayla Harris leaving the lions... would be great up forward for us. Don't know what we would trade though.

Hopefully we keep hold of paxman and the rest. Took us a while to get going last season but I see a big season coming up

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Tayla Harris leaving the lions... would be great up forward for us. Don't know what we would trade though.

Hopefully we keep hold of paxman and the rest. Took us a while to get going last season but I see a big season coming up

Looks like Tayla is a chance to come to us  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brisbane-marquee-tayla-harris-set-to-test-aflw-trade-period/news-story/fb490adab204761acfe962a535d49538

Carlton are keen on her but she doesn't seem so keen on them.

She has a strong connection with the Dees.  Given she is only about 20 I reckon we should give up what we need to - imagine Harris and Mifsud in our forward line.  Happy days! :cool:

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

come back Tayla....all is forgiven ;)

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

carn Dees     Lets get serious about this.  Get streetsmart before the other lot do. Must be some plum jobs for the girls ;)  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dale Thomas to leave AFL for AFLW?

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In before the 'maybe we can recruit some of the women to play down back' posts.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

In before the 'maybe we can recruit some of the women to play down back' posts.

Sharp tonight Wiseblood!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only a matter of time before women are drafted onto an AFL team list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Only a matter of time before women are drafted onto an AFL team list!

 

Will never happen. Unless it is done as a publicity stunt , like Garry Hocking changing his name to Whiskas.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MFC Draft Picks:  Round 1 (Pick 6), Round 2 (Pick 14), Round 3 (Pick 22), Round 4 (Pick 30)

Carlton are dopey, daring or desperate: They have traded their first 3 picks (5, 13, 21) for Collingwood's  2017 B&F Nicola Stevens.  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-16/blues-trade-three-picks-to-snare-top-aflw-pie-stevens   Putting a lot of eggs in one basket!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new recruit from the Demons:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2017-05-16/hore-joins-melbourne-as-aflw-rookie

Kate Hore comes from a basketball background as was 'recruited' by a few of our existing AFLW team:

"Despite growing up a Carlton supporter, Hore said her St Kilda teammates, Meg Downie and Mia-Rae Clifford, who both played for Melbourne in the 2017 AFLW season, convinced her the red and blue was the way to go. ... “They helped me make my decision and they both couldn’t speak more highly of the club,” she said".

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 9:11 AM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Here are the rules:  http://www.melbournefc.com.au/

Fortunately, they have slightly increased the size of the list.  It will help overcome L-T injuries.

There will be a father/daughter draft option next year.  (Father will need to have played 1 game for a club).

Draft is on mid October.  I assume the draft order is from the bottom up.

We had a core group of 12-15 players this season who played consistently well and we noticeably improved as they played more games together.  Hoping we can keep them all.

We will start hearing of contract re-signings from next Monday.

LH - any word on potential upcoming father/daughters with us and across the league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#: 15   Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Skuit said:

LH - any word on potential upcoming father/daughters with us and across the league?

The AFL will allow a Father/Daughter selection if the father has played one AFL game at the club.  Not sure how the drafting works tho.  The draft is in October so by then we should know the rules.

But I haven't seen any mention of names yet. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be great to get Tayla Harris back to Melbourne, but not sure how we could trade for her. I don't imagine that draft picks will have much, if any, value given that there will be very few decent players in the draft. Do we have any Brisbane locals on our list who might want to return home?

I would also expect to see some teams stockpiling talent ahead of the looming expansion (eg Geelong hides some players in the depths of the local league before swooping next year).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, poita said:

It would be great to get Tayla Harris back to Melbourne, but not sure how we could trade for her. I don't imagine that draft picks will have much, if any, value given that there will be very few decent players in the draft. Do we have any Brisbane locals on our list who might want to return home?

I would also expect to see some teams stockpiling talent ahead of the looming expansion (eg Geelong hides some players in the depths of the local league before swooping next year).

It will be interesting to see how the new teams are set up.  Geelong and St Kilda are looking for GCS/GWS type draft and 'poaching' concessions.  Terrible if that happens in a competition that is only embryonic.  Hopefully, we can continue our reputation in AFLW that Melbourne is a great club to be at and keep our talent and as you say stockpile some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Demons make their move on Tayla Harris: 

"Melbourne look to have emerged as a serious player for Tayla Harris' services after the Brisbane Lions turned down Carlton's offer for the marquee forward". 

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-trades-demons-enter-tayla-harris-fray-as-brisbane-reject-carlton-offer-20170519-gw8itk.html

What a great get if it happens.  Makings of a formidable forward line with Mifsud et al!  Hopefully, we can get it done for a pick rather than one of our budding or star players.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/05/2017 at 6:12 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

It will be interesting to see how the new teams are set up.  Geelong and St Kilda are looking for GCS/GWS type draft and 'poaching' concessions.  Terrible if that happens in a competition that is only embryonic.  Hopefully, we can continue our reputation in AFLW that Melbourne is a great club to be at and keep our talent and as you say stockpile some.

Would this explain why Carlton traded all their high picks? If it were to happen there's probably no point in hanging on to them as they'll be diluted to buggery. I reckon roll the dice and use whatever picks we need to get Tayla. She's a star and has a long future ahead. It's a classic Hawthorn style top-up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FireInTheBelly said:

Would this explain why Carlton traded all their high picks? If it were to happen there's probably no point in hanging on to them as they'll be diluted to buggery. I reckon roll the dice and use whatever picks we need to get Tayla. She's a star and has a long future ahead. It's a classic Hawthorn style top-up.

The new teams won't come in before 2019 so Carlton's picks this year are full value.  Next year's draft (for 2019) may be a different story. 

Not sure what Carlton are up to...maybe they thought they could get Tayla cheaply once they traded out their early picks. That is what usually happens in the male game - once a player nominates a club, the losing club almost has to accept what is offered.  Good on Lions for rejecting Carlton's offer.

The Demons getting in on the act has put a spanner in the works for Carlton:).  I would think the club have spoken with Tayla to ensure she would be happy to join us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The new teams won't come in before 2019 so Carlton's picks this year are full value.  Next year's draft (for 2019) may be a different story. 

Not sure what Carlton are up to...maybe they thought they could get Tayla cheaply once they traded out their early picks. That is what usually happens in the male game - once a player nominates a club, the losing club almost has to accept what is offered.  Good on Lions for rejecting Carlton's offer.

The Demons getting in on the act has put a spanner in the works for Carlton:).  I would think the club have spoken with Tayla to ensure she would be happy to join us.

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for the updates BTW. Where are you getting them from?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FireInTheBelly said:

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that.

Thanks for the updates BTW. Where are you getting them from?

I just scan the websites of the main newspapers and the afl site and post articles that look of interest.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Demons make their move on Tayla Harris: 

"Melbourne look to have emerged as a serious player for Tayla Harris' services after the Brisbane Lions turned down Carlton's offer for the marquee forward". 

 

I sort of just view as we lent Harris to Brisbane for a year and now she will come back home. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Tayla work at the club previously? I have some vague memory but can't quite recall. She did work in comms at Brisbane though, and I imagine these sort of things would be a huge incentive for interstate transfers in the AFLW. Does anyone know the legalities here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.