Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



Sign in to follow this  
Diamond_Jim

The China Game

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, wonnabeeri said:

I know in the past Melbourne already had a program to get Chinese university students to games in Melbourne. One of the guys here in Shanghai was involved as a mentor type person. He said it was quite a success.

It didn't help that we were garbage at the time, though. I remember seeing groups of Chinese students at our games in 2008, 2009.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could it get worse !!

"SHANGHAI will host the Gold Coast-Port Adelaide game with no beer.

There will be an alcohol ban for general admission fans at Jiangwan Stadium during Sunday's historic match between the Suns and Port.

While alcohol will be served in the corporate suites, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said the Chinese had instituted the booze ban."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-13/water-will-be-just-fine-china-booze-ban-confirmed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice we play the Suns their first game afetr China.  They will be coming off a bye, but this ludicrous trip will surely knacker both teams and I bet it derails both of their seasons.  If we cant beat Gold Coast, in ALice Springs, when they are just back from two long flights and breathing in the Shanghai air for days, we should hand in our AFL license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

could it get worse !!

"SHANGHAI will host the Gold Coast-Port Adelaide game with no beer.

There will be an alcohol ban for general admission fans at Jiangwan Stadium during Sunday's historic match between the Suns and Port.

While alcohol will be served in the corporate suites, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said the Chinese had instituted the booze ban."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-13/water-will-be-just-fine-china-booze-ban-confirmed

That's funny... imagine the surprise to all those 'regular atgendees" 

Ah...the Commies... Animal Farm lives on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Petraccattack said:

Notice we play the Suns their first game afetr China.  They will be coming off a bye, but this ludicrous trip will surely knacker both teams and I bet it derails both of their seasons.  If we cant beat Gold Coast, in ALice Springs, when they are just back from two long flights and breathing in the Shanghai air for days, we should hand in our AFL license.

the irony is that the pollution reading in Melbourne this week is higher than Shanghai

(cold and no winds = lots of microns apparently)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on the Power and Suns for having a crack.

Fairly obvious that all players from both teams should be travelling business class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What as awesome weekend. The Shanghai Tigers defeated Hong Kong, Malaysia, Vietnam, Guangzhou, and Singapore to take home the Shanghai cup. Unreal day. 

Port v gold coast was a crap game. A few things could have been run better (no food and drink available in the ground and the taste of aus fest sucked), but the crowd would have been 30-40% chinese. The all asia v china match after the big game was also awesome. Better than the main event! 

Nursing a sore head today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no food or drink..  what a joke

Port welcome to their farce.

Gil of course 'tweaking the english language' in hope of dressing up a pigs ear.

Hope we never go there ( again ) hope we can dispense with the NT games for points also.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/could-1-million-tempt-a-victorian-afl-club-to-play-in-china-in-2018/news-story/9deeddcbc46ce2db1ec889b45ffc60cc?utm_source=Herald Sun&utm_mediam=email&utm_campaign=editorial

The money would be nice, but at what cost? I assume we have deals in place for 2 NT games next year, but 1 China game (with FTA coverage) followed by a bye, might be better than two trips north for less reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wonnabeeri said:

What as awesome weekend. The Shanghai Tigers defeated Hong Kong, Malaysia, Vietnam, Guangzhou, and Singapore to take home the Shanghai cup. Unreal day. 

Port v gold coast was a crap game. A few things could have been run better (no food and drink available in the ground and the taste of aus fest sucked), but the crowd would have been 30-40% chinese. The all asia v china match after the big game was also awesome. Better than the main event! 

Nursing a sore head today.

That's almost the only positive I have heard.

Have they published an official attendance figure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, poita said:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/could-1-million-tempt-a-victorian-afl-club-to-play-in-china-in-2018/news-story/9deeddcbc46ce2db1ec889b45ffc60cc?utm_source=Herald Sun&utm_mediam=email&utm_campaign=editorial

The money would be nice, but at what cost? I assume we have deals in place for 2 NT games next year, but 1 China game (with FTA coverage) followed by a bye, might be better than two trips north for less reward.

Worth thinking about if we drop the NT Games..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

That's almost the only positive I have heard.

Have they published an official attendance figure

I think it was around 10,000. Apparently 5,000 Port supporters travelled over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IF we were to do it, we should hold out for more than a mil. Maybe 2.

Port lowballed GCS who got bugger all out of it and it's been nothing but an inconvenience for them.

We would have to give up an MCG game and what for? To help a rival club cement a spot in a new market?

We'll want $$$, $$$, and more $$$.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I don't think the China games will work its worth trying out for a few more seasons just to get this international missionary experiment off the AFL's chest permanently. Then get back to business as normal. The Suns did their best to get things off to the worst start possible. Shows their enthusiasm.

Edited by america de cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

IF we were to do it, we should hold out for more than a mil. Maybe 2.

Port lowballed GCS who got bugger all out of it and it's been nothing but an inconvenience for them.

We would have to give up an MCG game and what for? To help a rival club cement a spot in a new market?

We'll want $$$, $$$, and more $$$.

And all the tea in China.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a complete waste of time.

China will never be an important country as everybody knows.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Biffen said:

What a complete waste of time.

China will never be an important country as everybody knows.

 

not for Aussie Rules, thats for sure

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Darwin game is terrible from a team viewpoint but by comparison to a game in heat in China it is a gentle paddle down the Todd River !!

I think it has already been posted but as the Gold Coast is fully funded by the AFL the idea of the GC going to China to make money from a game funded by the AFL (Port don't pay the lot by any stretch) is weird.

I love Asia but it is not a place for AFL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

not for Aussie Rules, thats for sure

The only decent thing they've ever done is crush dissent and fry dessert.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of harnessing any local following by the Chinese communities  but it seems most past efforts have been for nought...and cost THEM nought ! ;)

Over there , is all about chasing rainbows...or whatever appears in the smog. A lot of energies will be used to try to get any momentum. Am only too happy for someone ELSE to expend all the energy they choose. The dividends will be 3/4 of 2/5 of sweet f a

Why would you bother. I know and understand the folly of our NT crap but that too is really a waste of time. Anything that accomplishes can be done at other NON premiership times.

Thee is still much to explore in our own Backyard...the one called MELBOURNE.

This is all about EGO..this is all about KOCHhead himself.....Emperor in waiting. He fully believes his own rhetoric and Im happy for his devotees to lap it up  ( though I have my suspicions that wont be forever )

Rainbows..Pots of Gold....I mean...who ever really gets them ? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

port have more front than myer expecting the opposition club to give up their home game. what sort of gig is that?

i hope no other club takes the poisoned bait in future

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

port have more front than myer expecting the opposition club to give up their home game. what sort of gig is that?

i hope no other club takes the poisoned bait in future

Au contraire.. as long as not us. Dont care. Love to meet either the week after ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Port have trousered $6 million in China sourced sponsorships.

Seems like good business to me.

 

 

Edited by demoniac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×