Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Anzac Eve .. the Crowd

Diamond_Jim

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Yes the AFL do have form as recent as this year:  The Dees and WB built up women's footy but the AFL handed the inaugural game to Pies vs Coll and it will be the opening fixture for ever more.  They will create the history and our contribution (with WB)  will get lost. 

They did it to North with the Friday night games.

One more for the ledger. We wanted a "traditional Melbourne-Sydney rivalry" game to build on the old "bleak city"/"best thing to come out of Melbourne is the road to Sydney" stuff.

Tried it for a year or two ... unfortunately we were too far down the ladder for anyone to take notice ... except for Eddie ... he said "we'll have that" and the AFL said "yes Eddie" as they were so accustomed to doing.

On your larger point. the AFL is a corrupt organisation with a warped way of running the comp, and have little integrity. I think for many of us, only a lifetime of foolishly invested nervous energy into the MFC keeps us coming back.

• Like 2

We need to be strong as a club and maintain this fixture it can set us up big time. I understand the pitfalls with the possibility of two 5 or a 5 and 4 day break on certain occasions but the benefits far outweigh it long term. 

I heard Treloar say this morning that playing on Anzac day was a big attraction to joining the Pies. He also said he watched last night and felt he would love to have been part of the occasion.

The last 2 years have been big successes the 85k crowd will have been looked on favourably by the AFL.  Whatever it takes Dees get this fixture permanent and don't underestimate the drawcard as a club if this is an annual event 

If we play Tuesday next year then so we play Monday night or Sunday against the Pies or Essendon 

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, praha said:

Melbourne had a lot of fans there last night but trust me, sitting in AFL Members, 90% of the stadium was up and about when they hit the front. The only section that wasn't was the MCC and parts of the Ponsford.

At least 60k Richmond last night. They are a sleeping giant.

Being there home game definitely helped with the crowd. Hopefully they turn out next year for our home game, regardless of form. MCC was packed though and predominantly Demons. Richmond had most of the rest of level 1 due to reserved members areas. The southern stand seemed predominantly Richmond but as I was on level 1 AFL members was hard to see what the top of the southern looked like. 

If we can draw that crowd for our home game next year and not drop back to 65k because their members don't get membership access then we're on to a winner.

8 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

We need to be strong as a club and maintain this fixture it can set us up big time. I understand the pitfalls with the possibility of two 5 or a 5 and 4 day break on certain occasions but the benefits far outweigh it long term. 

I heard Treloar say this morning that playing on Anzac day was a big attraction to joining the Pies. He also said he watched last night and felt he would love to have been part of the occasion.

The last 2 years have been big successes the 85k crowd will have been looked on favourably by the AFL.  Whatever it takes Dees get this fixture permanent and don't underestimate the drawcard as a club if this is an annual event 

If we play Tuesday next year then so we play Monday night or Sunday against the Pies or Essendon 

Historically the Pies & Dons have led off the round when they're drawn to play on a Wednesday ANZAC fixture Pennant. 

So that means that both teams have played on the prior Saturday (2012 & 2007) or the Friday (2001)

We'd end up playing on a 5 day break against a team with at least a 7 day break (if the game was on a Sunday) ... A Monday night game can work better though (if we could swing it)

1 minute ago, Macca said:

Historically the Pies & Dons have led off the round when they're drawn to play on a Wednesday ANZAC fixture Pennant. 

So that means that both teams have played on the prior Saturday (2012 & 2007) or the Friday (2001)

We'd end up playing on a 5 day break against a team with at least a 7 day break (if the game was on a Sunday) ... A Monday night game can work better though (if we could swing it)

I agree Macca and fully understand the problems with fixturing but think it is that important for us as a club to get this as an annual event.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

The short break either side of the game is just the price to pay for the privilege of the having that game. You never hear the pies or bombers footy department whinge about it. Just loud 3rd parties 

1 minute ago, Pennant St Dee said:

I agree Macca and fully understand the problems with fixturing but think it is that important for us as a club to get this as an annual event.

Oh yeah ... I'm more than confident that the fixture will stay - it's the fixturing around the date which needs to be nailed down. 

And if we can turn that other fixture into an annual event with that other fixture also being a top money-spinner, it's a win-win. 

I can't see why it can't be Essendon predominately too.   We don't need it to be Collingwood as we've already got that home fixture secured.  PJ has probably got some open dialogue happening with the Dons.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gipsy Danger said:

The short break either side of the game is just the price to pay for the privilege of the having that game. You never hear the pies or bombers footy department whinge about it. Just loud 3rd parties 

The fixture doesn't generally represent a problem for either team though ... a 5 day break for the Pies & Dons against other teams only happens when the fixture falls on a Tuesday. 

And we've helped alleviate that problem by playing the night before and thus being likely opponents for the following Sunday ... as it is this year where we play Essendon next Sunday. 

Collingwood have drawn the short straw by playing Geelong (the Cats will be coming off a 7 day break)  However, the AFL could have fixtured the Pies against the Tigers next Sunday (or next Monday night so the MCG can be utilised for both games)

9k=

Edited by Macca

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

MCC was packed though and predominantly Demons. Richmond had most of the rest of level 1 due to reserved members areas. The southern stand seemed predominantly Richmond but as I was on level 1 AFL members was hard to see what the top of the southern looked like. 

According to twitter, the MCC reserve was 1,000 over capacity last night, spilling into GA in the Ponsford Stand. I was near the Punt Rd end scoreboard on level 4, there was a very noticeable red and blue tinge across all levels (and big gaps from the 28 minute mark in the last). Around me seemed about 30% MFC support and quite a few theatre going RFC supportes who haven't been for a few seasons/ 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mongrel said:

I know MFC doesn't have the amount of supporters as Richmond but it was as if we were playing an interstate match last night.

Felt like 90% richmond crowd who were deafening at times. Felt for our players when the game was close.

50 50 in the members, fantastic atmosphere. 

• Like 3

By 2020, when Anzac Day eve is on the weekend we should have a five year tradition of playing the game. This should be enough to keep the game as a regular event. 

All the AFL executive's bonuses work on crowd figures so if we keep drawing 85k they will be begging us to hold onto the game. We need richmond to stay up and about for a few seasons which should allow the game to build into a blockbuster as the tigers will do the heavy lifting on the crowd 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Being there home game definitely helped with the crowd. Hopefully they turn out next year for our home game, regardless of form. MCC was packed though and predominantly Demons. Richmond had most of the rest of level 1 due to reserved members areas. The southern stand seemed predominantly Richmond but as I was on level 1 AFL members was hard to see what the top of the southern looked like. 

If we can draw that crowd for our home game next year and not drop back to 65k because their members don't get membership access then we're on to a winner.

Unlikely to happen but it would be cool if the Tiges gave their members admission to this as compensation for their Etihad Stadium home game next year .That would help keep the crowd up. Or that the clubs agree that the event is a joint home game for membership & expenses / revenue, no matter which team is in the dark shorts

I think we've got it for the next few years. Gil McLachlan would have been pulling himself to bits watching that crowd go through the turnstiles

• Like 1

Sat in the Ponsford stand level 4 near scoreboard and crowd near us was around 50:50, but the roar from the Punt Rd end when Rich kicked those goals in the last was incredible.  Agree about the hassle with Hurstbridge line, got home to Plenty about 12.30am after leaving pretty much straight after game.  Wouldn't have minded if we won, but have to say the Rich supporters were very good through our marathon commute, no [censored]

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wolfmother said:

All the AFL executive's bonuses work on crowd figures so if we keep drawing 85k they will be begging us to hold onto the game. We need richmond to stay up and about for a few seasons which should allow the game to build into a blockbuster as the tigers will do the heavy lifting on the crowd 

As I mentioned earlier you have to attract the "theatre goers" who have made the ANZAC day clash such a success. In reality neither Essendon or Collingwood have been up for a while and certainly not both at the same time but the event is regarded as the home and away match of the season. It is attended by a lot more than just the supporters of the two clubs as well as being  a big corporate game.

Sell out the MCG... put a few extra dollars on the tickets (say $10 not the $40-50 imposed today by Essendon) and as Terry in Minder would say .... that is a nice little earner.^_^

As an aside years ago Melbourne was in one of its early final series. (1988) A friend of mine knew someone and got us tickets to each of the finals. When Melbourne got to the grand final I asked whether the tickets might be available. He said ... "no my wife is using them." .. "But your wife doesn't like football"  I replied... "yeah but she loves the balloons before the game!"

That's a theatre goer !

Edited by Diamond_Jim

7 hours ago, Wolfmother said:

By 2020, when Anzac Day eve is on the weekend we should have a five year tradition of playing the game. This should be enough to keep the game as a regular event. 

I think we have to keep building the rivalry and then even if the Tigers aren't up and about (realistically from 2018 onwards), they'll still hate us enough to come along and see their side try to beat us. It becomes tradition. And likewise, Richmond will try to 'get up' for the game, as the Essendon and Collingwood players do for ANZAC Day. I think at the very least, we can average 65,000 a game and if we can get 45,000-50,000 members in the next few years (with the bandwagoners back), we could well get that 65,000 average even higher.

Stunning to think that our Queen's Birthday game, which has for so many years now been our biggest drawcard, is likely to be overshadowed by our ANZAC Eve clash with Richmond. Terrific stuff, really. And a great sign for potential sponsors. PJ would be rubbing his hands together. He's done a brilliant job of setting up games like this and really promoting them hard.

Just on our other crowds, it's not unreasonable to think we could draw:

- 70,000 to a game against the Hawks at the 'G. If it wasn't at 3.20pm on a Sunday, we'd have a chance.

- 75,000 to a game against Essendon at the 'G. If it wasn't at Etihad, we'd have a chance. And we hate each other - there is a genuine rivalry going here.

- 80,000 to the Queen's Birthday game this year.

So realistically, this year could see two 80,000+ crowds. That'd have to get us a few Friday night and Saturday night games next year. Get favourable fixtures like that and we can start to really generate some decent profits again from ticket sales. Add to this, our NT strategy and our investment in the women's game and I think our brand could really be flying come 2019.

But as our team becomes more successful, we'll be able to build even more on these rivalries. And unlike the Bulldogs, St Kilda, GWS, GCS, Sydney, Brisbane or North, if we can win a flag in the next five years, we'd get 50,000 members easily. There are a lot of dormant/lapsed Melbourne 'supporters' out there who want to get on board, but are gun-shy following years of disappointment, failure and general [censored]-teasing. They'd be only too happy to jump on board and experience the good times if we can have a sustained period of success. And if we can manage this, we will become hated again, opposition rivalries will rise and large crowds will be the norm. 

I'm sure the 50,000 members, winning at least one flag and having sustained success was part of our 10 year plan. Our five year plan up until 2018, was probably something like being in a position to win a flag, having built a young talented list and a membership base in excess of 45,000 members. What's so exciting is that it's all doable and I can see the Melbourne Football Club rising from the ashes very, very soon.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

Would the Queen's Birthday game have more potential if we alternated home team with the Pies? Most Collingwood supporters don't see it as anything special because they see it as a charity game for us. If we alternated home teams so that we are home ANZAC Eve one year, Queens Bday the next they may have more stake to help build it with us into a legitimate blockbuster.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Would the Queen's Birthday game have more potential if we alternated home team with the Pies? Most Collingwood supporters don't see it as anything special because they see it as a charity game for us. If we alternated home teams so that we are home ANZAC Eve one year, Queens Bday the next they may have more stake to help build it with us into a legitimate blockbuster.

Thats a fair proposition. 

i think i heard last night that Eddie McChins had suggested for the 5 day breaks coming up that it is shared between 4 clubs involved ie we play esd or pies on the short break - makes it a pretty fair 5 day break between the clubs. Don't agree with him much, but i think he nailed it here

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, jako13 said:

i think i heard last night that Eddie McChins had suggested for the 5 day breaks coming up that it is shared between 4 clubs involved ie we play esd or pies on the short break - makes it a pretty fair 5 day break between the clubs. Don't agree with him much, but i think he nailed it here

Funny how Eddie, heart and soul of the AFL, the light that shines in darkness, has refused for years to share with other clubs the benefits of playing on ANZAC day, but now that other clubs are involved, he's prepared to share the detriments.

What a great guy!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A F said:

I think we have to keep building the rivalry and then even if the Tigers aren't up and about (realistically from 2018 onwards), they'll still hate us enough to come along and see their side try to beat us. It becomes tradition. And likewise, Richmond will try to 'get up' for the game, as the Essendon and Collingwood players do for ANZAC Day. I think at the very least, we can average 65,000 a game and if we can get 45,000-50,000 members in the next few years (with the bandwagoners back), we could well get that 65,000 average even higher.

Stunning to think that our Queen's Birthday game, which has for so many years now been our biggest drawcard, is likely to be overshadowed by our ANZAC Eve clash with Richmond. Terrific stuff, really. And a great sign for potential sponsors. PJ would be rubbing his hands together. He's done a brilliant job of setting up games like this and really promoting them hard.

Just on our other crowds, it's not unreasonable to think we could draw:

- 70,000 to a game against the Hawks at the 'G. If it wasn't at 3.20pm on a Sunday, we'd have a chance.

- 75,000 to a game against Essendon at the 'G. If it wasn't at Etihad, we'd have a chance. And we hate each other - there is a genuine rivalry going here.

- 80,000 to the Queen's Birthday game this year.

So realistically, this year could see two 80,000+ crowds. That'd have to get us a few Friday night and Saturday night games next year. Get favourable fixtures like that and we can start to really generate some decent profits again from ticket sales. Add to this, our NT strategy and our investment in the women's game and I think our brand could really be flying come 2019.

But as our team becomes more successful, we'll be able to build even more on these rivalries. And unlike the Bulldogs, St Kilda, GWS, GCS, Sydney, Brisbane or North, if we can win a flag in the next five years, we'd get 50,000 members easily. There are a lot of dormant/lapsed Melbourne 'supporters' out there who want to get on board, but are gun-shy following years of disappointment, failure and general [censored]-teasing. They'd be only too happy to jump on board and experience the good times if we can have a sustained period of success. And if we can manage this, we will become hated again, opposition rivalries will rise and large crowds will be the norm. 

I'm sure the 50,000 members, winning at least one flag and having sustained success was part of our 10 year plan. Our five year plan up until 2018, was probably something like being in a position to win a flag, having built a young talented list and a membership base in excess of 45,000 members. What's so exciting is that it's all doable and I can see the Melbourne Football Club rising from the ashes very, very soon.

Great post. Agree with most of what you said....but, and its really our achilles heel, we have no fan friendly, fully identifiable, training base. Cant see us emerging as a genuine force on and off the field until we do. 

• Like 1

Wonderful fixture - full credit to RFC & MFC for making it happen. We must keep this game at any cost, even if it means losing QB. 

I thought Richmond comfortably had 2/3 of the crowd. Hopefully they get some early wins next year and come along in huge numbers when it is our home game.

21 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The danger to our game is not from the Collingwood v Essendon fixture (they are powerful enough to protect their turf) but rather from other clubs when Anzac Eve starts to fall on Thursday, Friday Saturday or Sunday.

Here's a hard one.... if you could only keep one blockbuster would you choose Anzac Eve or QB.

Personally I think Anzac Eve has more upside. Collingwood supporters do not appear to be exactly enamoured with the QB game... just another game to them

Richmond also has its "Dreamtime" game but the reality is that without Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond as the other team it hard to create a blockbuster.

It's an easy one. ANZAC Eve will last forever; Her Majesty has just had her 91st birthday. I'm not confident that the public holiday will remain after her passing as part of a general push towards Australia eventually becoming a republic.

It may be that an alternative public holiday will be created on the same day (meaning the first Monday in June) - in which case the Melbourne v Collingwood game could continue - but it's also possible a different day might be identified for a more relevant holiday.  

• Like 1