Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Importance of Jordan Lewis

Dee1987

5 hours ago, TGR said:

2.5 more years of carrying this guy.....tick tock tick tock.

Loses his feet  more than any other player since Simon Eishold.

The experts and majority were wrong on this one.

pTGR

You are an absolute [censored].

you can't measure what he brings to the side in experience and leadership.

he is like having another coach on the field.

We are very fortunate that you have absolutely nothing to do with the MFC. 

• Like 4

Jumping the gun a bit TGR. I think his presence is omnipotent, young fella, for this group at this stage of this season. Every side in the AFL has got these sort of invaluable blokes running around every week thank god.

• Like 1

Let's deal with some facts shall we. Lewis was excellent against StKilda,Hawthorn & Essen Don. Serviceable against Carlton,North & Adelaide. Poor in the first half v GC but was instrumental in the second half revival. Not his best today but not alone. Keep in mind we got him for virtually nothing. Yes, on reasonable coin but so r plenty in the AFL a lot worse than him.I, for one, was never expecting a full three years from him. Even if he gets to 2019 and is playing in more of a coaching role it will be a win. Our club has been screaming out for leadership and this is what he brings.Watch out for his true value of we happen to make finals!

• Like 8

He's important in setting up structure behind the ball & provides almost an on field coach. It was noted last year by hawthorn supporters that he was slowing up & beginning to lose his feet quite often. He is clearly slowing up, but he was still good enough to come 2nd in Hawthorn's BnF last year. Calling time on his career after 1 borderline bad game is jumping the gun. He will get plenty of games this year & next year. How he goes in the 3rd year is an interesting question.

Lewis is our best leader, hands down. No disrespect to Viney and jones but if he'd been here 4 years instead of one he'd most likely be co captain of the club 

his on field direction, smarts and experience are vital. He's just a little out of form but standing up in big moments and easily best 18 for us 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Abe said:

Lewis is our best leader, hands down. No disrespect to Viney and jones but if he'd been here 4 years instead of one he'd most likely be co captain of the club 

his on field direction, smarts and experience are vital. He's just a little out of form but standing up in big moments and easily best 18 for us 

The way you guys carry on about liability leaders; we might as well get Voss out of retirement as well.

Who lead the bulldogs last September?  No disrespect to you, but Viney and Jones have them covered.

The penny is dropping.  You guys are hoping gravity and father-time is defied.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TGR said:

The way you guys carry on about liability leaders; we might as well get Voss out of retirement as well.

Who lead the bulldogs last September?  No disrespect to you, but Viney and Jones have them covered.

Um, Boyd,Wood,Morris to name just three and the Bulldogs flag was a one in a hundred year event. Betting u didn't even go to the game today young Rono. A recalcitrant from the old Demonology days.Difference now is that dementia is an added ingredient. If what u got out of today's stirring victory is that Lewis is no good I really feel sorry for you. Great day 'at' the footy for any true Demon fan.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, TGR said:

he is the best list clogger going round..

like a 19yo kid would add more value over the next 2 years you pleb...

Purely from a performance perspective I think Lewis has been underwhelming. Beyond that we don't really know the significance of his contribution to our game plan, and the effect he is having on our youth. I am definitely in the camp that believes Lewis is not all he is cranked up to be as a player, but I can also see our team is on the improve, and Lewis is most likely playing a big part in that - whether its at training, off field, on field (running patterns, etc).

9 hours ago, TGR said:

2.5 more years of carrying this guy.....tick tock tick tock.

Loses his feet  more than any other player since Simon Eishold.

The experts and majority were wrong on this one.

pTGR

[censored] off back to Punt road you bloody fifth columnist 

Edited by Uncle Fester

2 hours ago, TGR said:

Who led the dogs last year? Your lack of football knowledge is on show.

Matt Boyd - 290 games

Dale Morris - 230 games

• Like 1

If you were picking Jordan Lewis as a footballer he is not currently at AFL standard.  He looks like a player who's body has had enough.

We know he brings other things.  There may be a tipping point where the leadership he brings is not enough to compensate for a body that will no longer cooperate.  We haven't reached that yet.

He is also proud, intelligent and honest footballer who is team driven.   He will be more aware of this than anyone.

For the record I would still do the deal.

Edited by Stretch Johnson

6 hours ago, TGR said:

Morris, Boyd... the dogs had some older leaders playing a role as well 

I guarantee you if you took jones, Viney and Lewis out of team and replaced them with young guys We'd be a worse team 

need a blend of young and old 

14 hours ago, Abe said:

I for one can't come at the love and the adulation Lewis gets on here but each to their own.  I see Lewis as an arrogant player coming from a highly successful club with 4 premierships under his belt who has been told what an asset he is and he believes he's it and a bit with nothing to prove.

I cringed when I saw this in the paper last week spoken by Lewis:

" "For me, it feels like another game because I haven't been a part of it, a part of the build-up of the rivalry. But certainly speaking to a lot of the players it feels like more than a home-and-away game."

Good on you Jordie, that's the spirit. 

And I get bemused by comments like Abe above who make statements like "Lewis is our best leader, hands down."  Can you verify this?  Are you a part of the club and therefore see what he does day to day?  Do you know what he says to players?  A better leader than Jones?  On what basis?  Better than Viney?  On what basis.  Certainly not on performance on the field.  It was Jones who turned the game against Gold Coast and was the leader yesterday and it has been Viney in other games this season.  Show me a game where Lewis has turned it?  And he hasn't shown leadership nor set an example by potting someone behind play and missing 3 games which we lost and could easily have won 2 if he'd been available.  That's leadership?

Lewis, as TGR has said, is slow.  He goes to ground regularly, he fumbles the ball and his elite kicking is anything but.  Cool head under pressure - just look at that terrible turnover in the last where he missed a simple 20 meter kick when under no pressure.  As Pro has previously said he turns it over with the best of them.  For a lot of the day yesterday he played the easiest position on the ground as the loose across half back - didn't impact the game and didn't get a kick. 

Now Lewis still has some value to the team and I'm not dropping him yet or saying useless.  But the adulation he gets on this site bemuses me. Anyone would think he's Joel Selwood reading this.

I think by the beginning of next season he may be obsolete because I think in a playing sense the game is fast passing him by.  I don't know why so many get upset about someone calling Lewis out. He's a limited footballer now with a used by date fast approaching.  Clarkson realized it and so did Lewis which is why he left his lifelong club for a three year contract and some additional superannuation.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, poita said:

I don't expect Lewis to star every week, and am happy for him to just do his bit. However, his bit has to include being accountable for an opponent occasionally, and doing his share of the defensive work. He is sorely lacking in those areas at present.

He had a shocker yesterday, no doubt but I actually disagree with the comment that he's not doing his share of defensive work.  Watch closely in the last quarter when Phillips gets their transition goal in the last quarter.  Lewis was the only mid that chased  all the way down from HB to get to Darcy Moore.  The ball came to ground and Phillips pounced but it would have been a simple mark to Moore without Lewis' involvement.  

I definitely think that a 3 year contract is on the generous side, as I think he might be cooked at the end of next year but he'll still add value prior to that.  I do think he's still getting used to our style of play, at Hawthorn he'd wheel around to see guys open on the diagonal kick and nail it, whereas we don't spread the same way.  Having said that, there was a kick in the last two minutes to Bugg I think, that he missed from 20m away.  He wouldn't have missed that kick in a million years at Hawthorn!  Let's just see how he goes over the next few weeks before we crucify him for a bad performance.  

• Like 2

for the most part Lewis has been very good.  No coincidence we lost 3 on the trot when he was out.

He had to be carrying an injury yesterday surely? he did not look to be moving freely

His second half of the season will be a lot better than his first...  hes built for the grind of the 22 games, plus finals (where we will of course be).

Edited by Petraccattack

14 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Purely from a performance perspective I think Lewis has been underwhelming. Beyond that we don't really know the significance of his contribution to our game plan, and the effect he is having on our youth. I am definitely in the camp that believes Lewis is not all he is cranked up to be as a player, but I can also see our team is on the improve, and Lewis is most likely playing a big part in that - whether its at training, off field, on field (running patterns, etc).

At last a balanced view!

2 hours ago, dino rover said:

At last a balanced view!

"Most of us think the earth is flat"

"Hang on, I think it might be round"

So a balanced view is what?  The earth is shaped like a banana?

Nothing balanced about this trade dichotomy.  The football world thought Melbourne got a steal.  Go back to November 2016...and only a few objective thinkers thought it was going to be a stinker.

pTGR

40 minutes ago, TGR said:

Nothing balanced about this trade dichotomy.  The football world thought Melbourne got a steal.  Go back to November 2016...and only a few objective thinkers thought it was going to be a stinker.

pTGR

You are the only one calling it a stinker. 

If we only get one year out of Lewis on field, it has still been worth while considering where the club has been over the last decade

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, TGR said:

pTGR

It's a sphere. 

It can be flat and "round" at the same time. 

The earth is a sphere. 

(Please be a flat earther on here, please!)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vogon Poetry said:

I for one can't come at the love and the adulation Lewis gets on here but each to their own.  I see Lewis as an arrogant player coming from a highly successful club with 4 premierships under his belt who has been told what an asset he is and he believes he's it and a bit with nothing to prove.

I cringed when I saw this in the paper last week spoken by Lewis:

" "For me, it feels like another game because I haven't been a part of it, a part of the build-up of the rivalry. But certainly speaking to a lot of the players it feels like more than a home-and-away game."

Good on you Jordie, that's the spirit. 

And I get bemused by comments like Abe above who make statements like "Lewis is our best leader, hands down."  Can you verify this?  Are you a part of the club and therefore see what he does day to day?  Do you know what he says to players?  A better leader than Jones?  On what basis?  Better than Viney?  On what basis.  Certainly not on performance on the field.  It was Jones who turned the game against Gold Coast and was the leader yesterday and it has been Viney in other games this season.  Show me a game where Lewis has turned it?  And he hasn't shown leadership nor set an example by potting someone behind play and missing 3 games which we lost and could easily have won 2 if he'd been available.  That's leadership?

Lewis, as TGR has said, is slow.  He goes to ground regularly, he fumbles the ball and his elite kicking is anything but.  Cool head under pressure - just look at that terrible turnover in the last where he missed a simple 20 meter kick when under no pressure.  As Pro has previously said he turns it over with the best of them.  For a lot of the day yesterday he played the easiest position on the ground as the loose across half back - didn't impact the game and didn't get a kick. 

Now Lewis still has some value to the team and I'm not dropping him yet or saying useless.  But the adulation he gets on this site bemuses me. Anyone would think he's Joel Selwood reading this.

I think by the beginning of next season he may be obsolete because I think in a playing sense the game is fast passing him by.  I don't know why so many get upset about someone calling Lewis out. He's a limited footballer now with a used by date fast approaching.  Clarkson realized it and so did Lewis which is why he left his lifelong club for a three year contract and some additional superannuation.

He was voted by the players into the leadership group after 7 weeks. That says it all. 

He will be the one directing the plays when the game is in the balance and will be instrumental come finals time. 

That my friend is priceless and puts him in the top 5 most important players in the side. 

If we have learnt anything from the Bailey days is that you need to strike a fine balance between experience and youth. 

Just ask Anthony Mcdonald what he thought about his role at GWS. 

Edited by bandicoot
  • Like 2