Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 5

Demonland

3 hours ago, ding said:

yeah i guess you are yet another lurker who only pots posts they dont like but never has the guts to predict who will win yeah?

16 would have to be your age im guessing.

mfc has so many supporters who cant see the forest for the trees. We will probably play finals next year, but you can forget this season as we just dont have the cattle yet.Or the heart. Heart matters much more than talent.

You are a dead set fool. You can question their talent, or their decision making, but questioning their heart? They gave it their all tonight, seriously some supporters are just whinging [censored]

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah he led and was constantly ignored. Then when they did kick to him they sat it on top of his head. He was also being scragged all night long, got one free kick but could've been a handful more. 

He was held considerably time and time again. Riewoldt on the other end was also manhandled I felt so the umps let it go mostly. Difference being Riewoldt has the ground pace and versatility to adjust and respond.  Hogan is too slow to get back into the contest. His teammates really need to utilise him better when he's one on one in space.  If he's calling it from behind like he does, kick a fast, mid-height ball that gives him time to position, nudge and mark. Too often, passes are either directly to the opposition because the fall too short, or the ball is too high and takes too long in the air.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

If Watts is in the ruck next week I'll spew up.
You don't drive your ferrari in a smash up derby.

I disagree. He's become a really important player when the ball hits the deck. We're trying to use his ball use and smarts against taller less agile ruckmen. He doesn't win too many taps, but I think it's a bit of a brilliant move. Each to their own though.

Edited by A F

One thing that is really starting to get me - massive knees in the back in marking contests.  You are not allowed to put your hands in a blokes back, but if you charge through with a massive outstretched knee, that's somehow ok???  WTF.

I'm not just being sour grapes about Tim Smith, there were also Melbourne players that did do it to others and sorry but I just don't think it's in the spirit of the game.  Similar for that other cheap practice of pushing or jumping into the guys back after the ball has gone out of bounds.

6 hours ago, rufus said:

Geez bemoaning injuries and bad luck...again. We managed to get smashed by GWS at the MCG a couple of years ago when they didn't even have 18 players they could put on the ground.

As long as Tom McDonald is playing in our defence we will never win a final.

Eh? McDonald was superb tonight. Lost one 1v1 battle that I can recall, which resulted in a goal to Riewoldt in the last. Took intercept mark, after intercept mark and offered good offence off half back. I think it's one of the most complete games he's played in a long time.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4

Just now, A F said:

I disagree. He's become a really important player when the ball hits the deck. We're trying to use his ball use and smarts against taller less agile ruckman. He doesn't win too many taps, but I think it's a bit of a brilliant move. Each to their own though.

We can still use Watts in the middle periodically without him having to ruck. 

Dean Bailey used Watts on the ball for 3 or 4 games in the first half of 2011 - to good effect too.  Not sure many noticed though as the want for Watts to be next big thing as a key forward was where the attention lay. 

I like the idea of using Watts as a utility/forward/follower but if he has to ruck, the bare minimum is my preference.  But with our 2 main ruckmen going down with injury, we're going to have to be quite creative in that area (rucking)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You are a dead set fool. You can question their talent, or their decision making, but questioning their heart? They gave it their all tonight, seriously some supporters are just whinging [censored]

lol yeah we were awesome.

Finals here we come. 

I question everything when we lose, especially against a list like Richmond.

Enjoy the loss bud, there are plenty more to come.

8 minutes ago, Macca said:

Dean Bailey used Watts on the ball for 3 or 4 games in the first half of 2011 - to good effect too.  Not sure many noticed though as the want for Watts to be next big thing as a key forward was where the attention lay. 

I like the idea of using Watts as a utility/forward/follower but if he has to ruck, the bare minimum is my preference.  But with our 2 main ruckmen going down with injury, we're going to have to be quite creative in that area (rucking)

Absolutely. I'd prefer Jack playing second fiddle, rather than lead, but I was more responding to Fork's idea of Jack in the ruck at all. I think it's good for his contested game, it keeps him involved in the game and allows him to utilise his skills, and he becomes a handy default midfielder when the ball hits the deck.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

Asked this in the essendon changes thread, but what about Jordan lewis doing some ruck alternating with his 3rd man up experience? Surely if we're trying to blast teams out of the water, then it's our defenders (Frost, Omac) who can be switched around and into the ruck and our forward line given stability. 

Edited by DominatrixTyson

4 hours ago, Forest Demon said:

Most unlucky 2-3 side ever I would say. One quarter aside against Fremantle, we have looked very good. 2 games we have lost a ruckman for 3 quarters.

But at the end of the day, we are 2-3, missing some key players, and in big trouble f letting this season get away from us.

Fortunately, it's a close season and our likely competitors for that 6-8 position have also been struggling. Win next week and we're back on track.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A F said:

Eh? McDonald was superb tonight. Lost one 1v1 battle that I can recall, which resulted in a goal to Riewoldt in the last. Took intercept mark. after intercept mark and offered good offence off half back. I think it's one of the most complete games he's played in a long time.

Riewoldt's third goal was a result of him fumbling. A bad spoil resulted in Martins 4Q goal and I think he would have had some more, he often makes poor connection. And I can remember two 1 on 1's he lost to Riewoldt in addition to a 2 on 1 with Frost assisting.  The high ball that Riewoldt marked with the scores tied should simply not be able to happen.

He was good offensively tonight.

7 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

Riewoldt's third goal was a result of him fumbling. A bad spoil resulted in Martins 4Q goal and I think he would have had some more, he often makes poor connection. And I can remember two 1 on 1's he lost to Riewoldt in addition to a 2 on 1 with Frost assisting.  The high ball that Riewoldt marked with the scores tied should simply not be able to happen.

He was good offensively tonight.

Fair enough. I was happy enough with his defensive efforts too for the most part. Excited by the return of his intercept marking too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

Also AF thoughts on Prestia?

Dodged a bullet there.

Indeed, mate. I think he's working into it, but he was poor again tonight.

Just now, A F said:

Absolutely. I'd prefer Jack playing second fiddle, rather than lead, but I was more responding to Fork's idea of Jack in the ruck at all. I think it's good for his contested game, it keeps him involved in the game and allows him to utilise his skills, and he becomes a handy default midfielder when the ball hits the deck.

We're not far from each other here AF ... I agree on the contested game angle and both myself & rjay were advocating Watts to the ruck in a part time capacity a couple/few years ago.  

But he can be involved in there (periodically) without having to ruck.  The future answer could be that the MC bite the bullet and play both Gawn & Spencer in the same side (when they're both fit)

We really need to recruit a forward/ruckman for the future though - that's the ultimate solution.

• Like 2

Hibberd. 

Now that the positive is out of the way...

wtf was going on at the kick ins? Seriously, it was [censored] wet yet somehow time after time they'd take it end to end and score. We'd kick out and they stopped it every time. Painful, and imo what ultimately cost us the match. Held we held just 2 of them up in the last quarter we would've held on. 

I feel for Spencer, but it was the most predictable thing ever. 10 years and done about half a preseason ever. Injury prone, and the way he plays doesn't help. 

Viney was mic'd up and telling everyone to go direct. No one went direct. He was right, but no one listens to him, another x for making him captain so early. 

Melksham had zero tackles, again. I'm convinced that's the team rule keeping him in. And that one handed marking attempt, tough guy. 

The umpiring was [censored] deplorable both ways, so I'm angry I can't complain about that. 

I like the way Dom Tyson takes forever to decide which opposition player to kick to. Gives me time to really savour the moment. 

Richmond are bog ordinary, with the luckiest horseshoe ever and a leprechaun shoved up their clacker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macca said:

We're not far from each other here AF ... I agree on the contested game angle and both myself & rjay were advocating Watts to the ruck in a part time capacity a couple/few years ago.  

But he can be involved in there (periodically) without having to ruck.  The future answer could be that the MC bite the bullet and play both Gawn & Spencer in the same side (when they're both fit)

We really need to recruit a forward/ruckman for the future though - that's the ultimate solution.

Yeah, I worry for Spencer's future now. I can't see him getting back, but we'll see how bad that injury is.

And yep, I like the idea of Watts playing as a straight midfielder occasionally. Bit Goddard in that respect.

Edited by A F

1 hour ago, Pates said:

I actually thought JKH didn't disgrace himself, for me he earned another go on the merry go round. 

Agreed hard at it, linked up well and I certainly didn't recall any bloopers.

1 hour ago, Watts the matter said:

Because he loses the initial contest that Kent would have won. How many goals did he kick or set up?

Are you kidding?  Was very impressed by JKH's areial work tonight.  Stood under a number of passes where he subequently got crunched, but still held onto the mark.

I would like to see Kent back in the side too as I think his pace attacking flare and preparardness to take on the game are and asset.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Are you kidding?  Was very impressed by JKH's areial work tonight.  Stood under a number of passes where he subequently got crunched, but still held onto the mark.

I would like to see Kent back in the side too as I think his pace attacking flare and preparardness to take on the game are and asset.

Rance couldn't get a touch until he moved on to JKH. I admire his courage to stand under it but he is too small and slow so makes no impact on the contest generally. He did take one good mark between 2 tigers. 

And I would call playing on from a mark and missing a 2 meter handball a blooper.

3 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I'm not going to argue with you but sometimes I'm staggered at how two people's perceptions watching the same game can be so radically far apart.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DominatrixTyson said:

Asked this in the essendon changes thread, but what about Jordan lewis doing some ruck alternating with his 3rd man up experience? Surely if we're trying to blast teams out of the water, then it's our defenders (Frost, Omac) who can be switched around and into the ruck and our forward line given stability. 

The trouble is that a number of opposition ruckmen are big units who are experienced at ruckwork .... and even though they often nullify each other, if you put a lightweight up against them for long periods, the opposition will often find a way to gain an advantage (or a significant advantage)

And I mean lightweight in the sense of a part time ruckman not having any real rucking skills.  It's a game of keepings-off these days so first use of the ball often means having possession of the ball until such time that that team gets a shot at goal.

Gawn was getting up to 25 taps to advantage and we were getting better and better at utilising those taps to advantage - now that advantage has been taken away from us. 

4 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

Rance couldn't get a touch until he moved on to JKH. I admire his courage to stand under it but he is too small and slow so makes no impact on the contest generally. He did take one good mark between 2 tigers. 

And I would call playing on from a mark and missing a 2 meter handball a blooper.

So do you think Rance would be the match up for JKH had we not lost both Spencer and Smith?

I did forget about that handball, but if that was the worst of his efforts, he's doing ok in my book.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1