Jayd's

Have the Dees missed a trick with the Roos to Goodwin succession plan?

87 posts in this topic

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster so go easy on me.

It has always seemed somewhat strange to me the handling of this whole situation. Roos was an absolutely elite coach who for whatever reason wanted out of our great footy club after a few season. No issues with that it is his choice to leave when he wants and I wish him well.

Where I think we have messed up is the appointment of Goodwin without any due process or at least interviewing the candidates available. It seems to complete sidestep any form of governance or best practice business management to appoint a person without any senior coaching experience to a role without at least testing the market.

proof will ultimately be in the pudding however with our performance to date it has me concerned that the board may have made yet another critical coaching appointment incorrectly

1 person likes this

There were interviews and due process took place.  It was just done quietly. 

Roos had planned on bringing in one of his former Sydney assistants.  He only agreed to interview Goodwin because Todd Viney talked him up so much.  He won the spot over guys Roos had known a lot longer and better. 

2 people like this

from a *ahem* governance perspective - 2.5/3years out is problematic, however there is a secure handover with the preappointed. It's surely 40,000 x better than  (I may be missing a few 0's) from a Messer M.Neeld appointment....yeah, low hanging fruit (hows that for corporate speak) but hey when you have a chance to kidney punch, you do.

Normally there is a high focus on interview process because there is a vacant position to fill, and media vultures all over.  The assumption in your post is that the club did not do proper due diligence.  I am pleased that:

it was not a media circus

they got their choice at the right time, without having to take whoever was available

there was a smooth transition.

we are significantly better than when Roos took over, and judging Goody after 4 games is grossly unfair.  Personally, I'm pretty happy with the way it all went, and is going, and I don't follow your assumption as I believe that PJ and Roos together were way to smart to not do proper checks and investigations.

4 people like this

20 minutes ago, Jayd's said:

our performance to date it has me concerned that the board may have made yet another critical coaching appointment incorrectly

Judged purely on our performance to date he's actually the best coach we've had since Northey.

Edited by The heart beats true
7 people like this

20 minutes ago, Jayd's said:

It has always seemed somewhat strange to me the handling of this whole situation. Roos was an absolutely elite coach who for whatever reason wanted out of our great footy club after a few season. No issues with that it is his choice to leave when he wants and I wish him well.

Where I think we have messed up is the appointment of Goodwin without any due process or at least interviewing the candidates available. It seems to complete sidestep any form of governance or best practice business management to appoint a person without any senior coaching experience to a role without at least testing the market.

proof will ultimately be in the pudding however with our performance to date it has me concerned that the board may have made yet another critical coaching appointment incorrectly

If you think Goodwin was the only candidate then your wrong, I guarantee they interviewed many candidates and Stewart dew was the early front runner before he decided to stay in Sydney, Roos was so impressed with Goodwin that he stated he was the man for the job after the 1st time he met him, I think Roos would know a great coach when he sees 1 and that's good enough for me 

6 people like this

The issue of Goodwins appointment is one thing. One can make a value judgement about his appointment given his time at EFC. However to question his performance to date is a separate matter.  After 4 games? And with 2 wins and 2 games they should have won. Ask the question again at the end of the season. 

5 people like this

Fact is Roos agreed 2-3 yr deal with a succession plan

Goodwin was appointed to take over after Roos 

Cant see what the issue is?

2 people like this

If we didnt get Goody another team would have pounced on him.

He was the right choice and that will soon be clear to all.

1 person likes this

Welcome Jayd's (Your avatar needs some work ;) )

What you're asking about there seems perhaps a touch uninformed. The process took place. Succession plan was always the idea. Roos was always going to stay 2 years, potentially 3. Originally they wanted Dew, but he chose to stay on. The succession plan is widely agreed to have been a 100% success, especially in light of the Collingwood attempt with Malthouse - Buckley. What we did will become the template for outgoing coaches from now on, or for short term coaches like Roos.

Just thinking about this again... It really reflects how bad we were recently that a coach came on purely to rebuild and nothing more. No other team would get away with it these days. Brisbane were at a low ebb late last year, but Fagan wasn't brought in as a 3 year succession plan. Seems to me a gutsy and clever move by the AFL/MFC and PJ to go down this road that history will show was a hugely great call.

5 people like this

46 minutes ago, Jayd's said:

You've gotta be kidding don't you?

Goody's about 5minutes in to his coaching career and already you're writing him off.

From my recollection, the due process of picking Roos successor began almost immidiatly after Roos was appointed with Stewie Dew being the earliest target.  Many other potential candidates were interviewed and researched over a much longer period of time than most other coaching appointments before Goody was finally offered the position. Goodwin was also widely considered to be a top choice and would no doubt have found himself at another club had we not have secured him.

If you can't be happy with who we have, where  he's taking us and acknowledge where we're at than what the hell do you want?

3 people like this

They didn't hire Goodwin without any due process. 

PJ had to coax Roos out of retirement and so it was always a short-term plan. Get Roosy in to stabilise the place, build a quality list and take the pressure of the next coach. That coach is Goodwin.

Strange opening, Jayd. I hope your next offering is better. Jayd is a troll.

Edited by A F
1 person likes this

Roos was always handing the reigns over to Goodwin. His job was to fix the footy club which was in dire straits, simultanously preparing a new coach to take over upon his leaving. Roos' tenure was a massive success and a couple of unlucky losses isn't going to change the bright future Melbourne has in front of it. 

2 people like this

I'll leave it up to others to point out the pros of Goody, thinking my feelings are well known. However i feel that "lurking" pre supposes something more sinister.

The other three paragraphs simply are in my opinion, rubbish

Goodwin was sounded out for the Crows job but told Roo that he wanted to stay at the Dees. My Adelaide Crows contacts all collaborate this story and tell me that if not at the Dees he would be the Crows coach.  The point is that he was held in high regard in the competition.  

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Jayd's said:

Proof will be in the pudding. Roos legacy solely hinges on his successor. So as good as anyone believes Roos was, is, or could have been. Paul Roos appointed Goodwin. Time will tell whether Goodwin will be a success. My personal opinion is that Goodwin will fail and be replaced by the end of 2018.

1 person likes this

Why are people responding to the OP? Is there a way I can make this post not count as a response?

2 people like this

1 hour ago, KingDingAling said:

Proof will be in the pudding. Roos legacy solely hinges on his successor. So as good as anyone believes Roos was, is, or could have been. Paul Roos appointed Goodwin. Time will tell whether Goodwin will be a success. My personal opinion is that Goodwin will fail and be replaced by the end of 2018.

What are your reasons why you think he will fail? Personally I think Goodwin will be a great coach only time will tell though and a pretty silly conversation 4 games in 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, brendan said:

What are your reasons why you think he will fail? Personally I think Goodwin will be a great coach only time will tell though and a pretty silly conversation 4 games in 

Reasons.. Poor judgement. Poor judgement to gamble on games during his career. Poor judgement to inject the peptide Hexarelin during his time at Essendon. Poor judgement to believe Melksham is worth recruiting - just because he is a close mate. Now we find out Melksham is tangled up with gambling. Surprise surprise. 4 games in yes. Many on and off field issues during that time. Ineffective on and off field.

2 people like this

We have A strong football department as a whole. Yes Goodwin is no Roos, but thankfully he is no Neeld either. I think this succession plan is already ahead of the Collingwood malthouse Buckley mess.

We won't truly understand Goodwins impact as a coach until the end of the season. 

Roos a massively over rated coach in my opinion. Heart was never in it during his time at Melbourne always distancing himself from the team when it went wrong, "the players" instead of "we/I". Was there for the coin mostly. No attacking flair to his game. At least Goodwin doesn't have these issues.

In 3 years Roos couldn't get us higher than 11th! Compare that to what Bevo did at Bulldogs and Hinkley did at Port.

Edited by billyblanks29
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Great post and 100% my concern. Finals or bust this year and we really should be winning a final at bare minimum next year with the list we have

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Skuit said:

Why are people responding to the OP? Is there a way I can make this post not count as a response?

It why people do on a football forum. Discuss footy

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Adzman said:

We have A strong football department as a whole. Yes Goodwin is no Roos, but thankfully he is no Neeld either. I think this succession plan is already ahead of the Collingwood malthouse Buckley mess.

We won't truly understand Goodwins impact as a coach until the end of the season. 

They made a prelim year one. this has similar debacle all over it which is why I am concerned we copied their failed model

7 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

If we didnt get Goody another team would have pounced on him.

He was the right choice and that will soon be clear to all.

Yep would've been at Adelaide Ricciutio was all over him

1 person likes this