Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 4

Demonland

Oh....I get it .........we are 2-2     Sack the coach        Some of you blokes are pathetic

After the 1st game he was a marvel     Now he's a dud

So disappointed with midfield, particularly as our team leaders are there. 

Weideman will be fine. Put some weight on that frame he takes more marks and kicks more goals. The sky isn't falling. It's his second year and he's a key forward.

our decision making was poor for most of the game.

freo gambled on the contest and it paid off. You can do that with a dominant ruckman. We couldn't combat their spread because we were still in the contest as they were running off with it.

we looked young at times and flat at times too. 

It was good to see us come back and with some better decision making or any one of hogan, Lewis or Gawn we win that one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bossdog said:

Oh....I get it .........we are 2-2     Sack the coach        Some of you blokes are pathetic

After the 1st game he was a marvel     Now he's a dud

Normally I'd agree mate, but I can't blame anyone for going bananas about a loss like this.  It shouldn't happen.

On the flip side, as you say, we are 2-2 and we have plenty of time to make amends.  Hopefully this loss really cuts them deep and they take a good, hard look at themselves this week.  We need to see a big response next weekend, and if anyone rivals us for a soft underbelly then it's Richmond.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, olisik said:

Goodie without the best ruckman in the game at his disposal is running 0-2

We did not lose the game because of Gawn's absence. We lost it at the section table when we picked a kid who is not up to AFL. Smith in and we win that game.It is that simple. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

There was still 3 minutes left. They tried to chip around the backline with 2.30 left. Too long to go into your shells.

This is Melbourne we are talking about. Just flood and play as ugly as needed for the win FCS

Edited by Rusty Nails

3 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Where to begin with this one?

Deflating.  Frustrating.  Vomit inducing.  That's a really, really tough loss to take.  One of the toughest we've had in years I think.  In the past we may have commended the effort, but we know our list and our side IS better than this.  We got on top in the second and then got ahead of ourselves.  They got on top through the midfield and we couldn't stop the rot, which isn't good enough.  I won't blame anyone for going right over the top on this board over the next 24 hours.  This is a game we should never have lost and I was right to feel nervous about it going in.

But, in the end, we also need to look at the positives (as everyone covered the negatives).  Oliver - another 27 touches, 14 contested possessions, 10 clearances and 8 tackles.  The kid is a freak.  Jeff Garlett is playing his best footy for the club at the moment, while some of the kids like ANB and Harmes also put in good stints.  Spencer was good in the ruck and got forward to jag a few goals which were terrific, while Watts again stood up to be counted.  Without Hogan we still had 29 shots on goal which shows that whatever we are doing forward of the ball is working.  That is something to be pleased about.

The problem for us today was what happened in the midfield.  Outside of Oliver and, to a lesser extent, Tyson, we allowed their mids to dominate AND hit the scoreboard.  Mundy, Neale and Fyfe combined for half of their goals (8) and we simply cannot allow that to happen.  We allowed McCarthy too much space as well and we paid dearly for it.  You would have thought the days of letting teams kick 8 unanswered goals were behind us.

The one thing I want the players to take out of today is for this to REALLY hurt.  To cut them deep and to make a commitment to the club to make sure this doesn't happen again.  I want them to come out next week against the Tigers and make a statement, and that statement is that this weekend was an aberration.  We've got an opportunity to put it right and there are still 19 rounds of footy left, so we have time to make amends.  Let's just hope we can do it.

Happy wrist slashing everyone.

Good assessment although ANB and Harmes really have to work on their disposal. ANB needs to stop floating the ball and Harmes start guiding the thing properly on to his boot.

• Like 2

Guy i just think were not that good

A couple of good jlt cup games and a couple of wins against non top 8 teams dosent make us a contender

You dont beat up the town drunk and call yourself the heavyweight champ

Too cute and too suspect under heavy pressure

A top 8 team dosent concede 8 goals in a quarter 

We unfortunately have a long way to go

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, watchtheeyes said:

Pretty keen to see Hibberd in the side. Eager to hear how he goes on Monday!

Agree, getting quality into the backline asap will only help.

Having Hogan return will straighten us up, but he needs to be prepared to put up with the [censored] that will come his way from the opposition.

• Like 1

Just now, dee-tox said:

Good assessment although ANB and Harmes really have to work on their disposal. ANB needs to stop floating the ball and Harmes start guiding the thing properly on to his boot.

That's fair.  I think both are capable of hitting targets and also missing some easy ones.  I think it comes with experience and assessing all of their options.

I've been super impressed with ANB this year, though.  Another 24 touches, 5 tackles and a goal.  He's taken his chance with both hands and is running with it.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, monoccular said:

After that 3rd q never deserved to win butt did anyone see that Freo player get his foot to that last goal?

They review all sorts of BS but not that????

Yep....a toenail but he did Mono. You can rest easy , at least on that bit anyway

:-S

gawn, lewis, hogan, hibberd.

replace spencer, bugg, hannan and melksham with those four and we would probably have banked the four points.

i really do fear that we're the new north melbourne - good for finals 4 of the next 6 or so years, but not classy, skilled or good enough to be a legitimate premiership threat.

Can we all agree that Melksham needs a long spell in the 2s. He was the catalysts for the whole thing going to [censored]

Id like to know if he had any disposals that didn't result in a turnover 

Edited by Garbo

I am Concerned at the coaches assessment of players. They learned their lesson with Omac and finally dropped him, but can't they see Weeds isn't up to it just yet and needs time down at Casey while his body develops? Melksham is another strange one  , doesn't do much at all. Even Tim Smith showed last week a bigger body is better, yet he was the one dropped. We will be better if they play Hibberd instead of Melksham  and Hogan should replace Weideman.

Not sure what's up with Viney, looks a shadow of last years player.

4 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

gawn, lewis, hogan, hibberd.

replace spencer, bugg, hannan and melksham with those four and we would probably have banked the four points.

i really do fear that we're the new north melbourne - good for finals 4 of the next 6 or so years, but not classy, skilled or good enough to be a legitimate premiership threat.

You only needed to replace one DA you have not mentioned him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Can we all agree that Melksham needs a long spell in the 2s. He was the catalysts for the who thing going to [censored]

We might agree but he has 'teacher's pet' stamped all over him so I doubt he is going anywhere.

He would have been rusty after a year out and while his stats have been ok he has had no impact at all in four games.  But as I said I can't see him going out of the team. 

• Like 1

We are still carrying a number of players with average >> poor disposal, and/or average >> low footy IQ.

The number of players we have in that bracket is way to high.  It means we're going to butcher a lot of opportunities as we've seen this year - and create a lot more easy 'over the top' type open forward-line goals for our opposition through our turnovers.

Sure we're improving but this kind of game is still going to be our norm for the next couple of seasons.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Garbo said:

Can we all agree that Melksham needs a long spell in the 2s. He was the catalysts for the who thing going to [censored]

Yep, Hibberd in for Melksham. An easy choice.

Almost as easy a choice as Pedersen for Weideman, Vince to the wing, replacing our goal kicking coach.

Another game and another week at selection where you simply shake your head.

Weideman and Hannan should not have played. Can't keep rewarding blokes who have coasted for a couple of weeks. Smith should have stayed in or if not Smith then bring in Pedersen. 

Goody and the selection committee need a good hard look at themselves.

The only positive I take is the fightback came from Trac Salem and Oliver getting their hands dirty and Hunt gut running. It's Viney Jones Vince and Mcdonald who need to look at themselves for allowing a side to get on a 7 goal roll without trying to slow down and take some life out of the game. That is where it was lost. Hodge Lewis Hurn Selwood Danger all would have taken it upon themselves to stop the rot. Viney disapoints me most for not doing this

• Like 4