Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Williamstown v Casey Demons

KC from Casey

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I like Hannon too but he had 0 tackles on the back of going missing for 3 Qtrs.  He's been a passanger we have carried since round 2.

Reward blokes who have put in at VFL.

100% agree. His first game was good but after that he hasn't done a lot. 

I'd prefer Ben Kennedy come in. At least he puts on good pressure around the forward line.

• Like 1

A very pleasant day down by the bay preceded by some lovely fish and chips at the Pier fish and chippery.

In the winter sunshine and with low winds Seagull Oval is a wonderful venue.

Unfortunately the game from a Demons viewpoint was a great disappointment.

Obviously they are trying to get the game plan of run and handball going but it seemed that every third handball in the chain was to a player standing still who was then heavily tackled. (Sounds familiar doesn't it.). The best part of the day's play was probably between Trengove and Brayshaw in the second quarter but even that good play was preceded by a fumble.

In the third quarter and for some of the fourth I stood a few metres from the coaching dug out. The reaction of players when they come off is very different. JKH is very talkative. wheras Angus was always quiet and serious looking. It made me wonder if he is enjoying his football but perhaps that is his game psyche.

As an occasional watcher I would not feel competent to comment too much on individual players save that none really stood out to me other than Pederson. He has a strong body and positions himself well. My gut tells me that he is not really the future given our game plan but I am starting to worry that the players as a group are not quite yet up to the game plan.

Trengove had lots of the ball but I cannot really remember many flashes of brilliance. Angus fought very hard and played well without being outstanding.

Casey as a team were outmarked and generally outdone around the packs and occasionally on the outside. The third quarter reminded somewhat of our third quarter against Freo on Saturday. That being said they were not thrashed today and with a few less misses on easy shots for goal they would have been a lot closer.

All in all an enjoyable and instructive day.

PS: The facilities were good and my AFL (Melbourne Support) got me in for half price ($5). Judging by the constant queue they obviously do a very popular hamburger etc.

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I'd prefer Ben Kennedy come in. At least he puts on good pressure around the forward line.

Going off this then maybe Kennedy does get a gig for Hannan?

That's the game. 

Casey Demons 4.4.28 6.6.42 6.10.46 8.12.60

Williamstown 3.3.21 7.8.50 11.11.77 12.11.83

Goals

Casey Demons Scott 4 Brayshaw Fritsch Pedersen Trengove 

Williamstown Currie Gibbons Masters 2  Cavarra Cordy   Dorgan Dunell Marcon Siposs

Best 

Casey Demons Hibberd Trengove Kennedy Smith Brayshaw

Williamstown Marcon Meese Fahey Masters Wheeler Greiser

Disposals Trengove 33 Pedersen 29 Kennedy 26 Hibberd Maynard 25 Brayshaw 24 Morris 23

30 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Prefer Weideman.

Don't rate Pedersen.  Not AFL quality.

You must be racking your brain why he's not getting a game.  Perhaps you're wrong.

Maybe you should have got down to the game today and see why his a walk up start.

Just now, gOLLy said:

Maybe you should have got down to the game today and see why his a walk up start.

Firstly, I don't take any notice of a mature Pedersen at VFL level.

Secondly, I watched all of the second half on youtube.  Just a game.

Thirdly, I've seen him plenty of times at AFL level and know what I get.  Don't you know what you get ?

Disappointing day out for the team formerly known as the Scorpions today.

This year was always going to see a vastly different looking Casey side, having lost the experience and nous of Dunn, Grimes, Terlich and Garland, as well as the ball winning abilities of Michie, Newton and Matt Jones. Most of this group of players were mainstays and consistent regular good players last year, and they've been replaced by Under 18 and local players essentially.   

Add in our current MFC injury list that's in double figures,and I was always a bit hesitant of our chances today.

Nevertheless, a bright opening quarter where we dominated around the ground, offering great forward pressure to keep the ball down there, and a midfield having the run of play, despite not winning many ruck hitouts, and we probably should've been further than a goal in front, Williamstown made the most of their limited forward thrusts. At quarter time, where coach Plapp really only highlighted two players for sloppy play in Tom Baker and Bayley Fritsch, all seemed rosy.

However, from the start of the 2nd quarter, and for the rest of the day, Willi proceeded to show more intensity than us around stoppages, aided by the dominance of Meese at the hitouts, to simply outclass us in general play and ran out deserved winners. 

Plenty to ponder for Casey, although next week's opponent North Ballarat are coming off a 190 point loss, and look even worse than some of the latter day Frankston sides.

Here's my 2 cents on todays MFC listed players:

37 Dion Johnstone - I only noticed he was playing late in the 2nd quarter, went on to have zero influence on the game, extremely disappointing.
38 Tim Smith - Started up forward, wasnt a good day for tall forwards with the service they were getting, so moved onto the ball ten minutes into the 3rd term where he had a bit of impact as a bullocking onballer. 
41 Mitch White - Played a pretty typical game for him, lots of intercept spoils, using his judgement to get to contests and take timely marks, but will really be missing the better players he had around him last year (as a comparison his compadres this year are the inexperienced Moncrieff and Hillard)
45 Dec Kielty - A quiet day, started in the ruck and didnt have much influence on the contest throughout. Was moved to be a permanent forward for the last term, but after having both legs worked on during that break, looked to tweak a left hammy early in the last. Came back on but not a great day.
48 Cory Maynard - First time I've seen him go, and was impressed with him, a very good size, started on the ball and not afraid to throw his weight around, but when he does do this tends to be a bit rash. Accumulated possessions at will, moved to good ground position, and has a good workrate. One to watch.
54 Jack Trengove - The best onballer for us, his workrate to get to contests and do the 1%ers was enormous. His disposal however, doesnt hurt teams that much, so while he accumulates, he doesn't cut teams to ribbons like say an Oliver can do. Will be thereabouts for selection based on this game though.
57 Jay Kennedy-Harris - Started brightly involved in lots of forward pressure acts, then went a bit quiet for the 2nd & 3rd qtrs before finding it a bit more in the last, had his arm pretty heavily bandaged from his broken arm, only an OK game from him.
64 Angus Brayshaw - Was one that I wanted to really step up today to be in the selection mix, but he didn't do it. Just didnt seem to have the intensity expected, and while he still got a bit of it, was easily shaded by Trengove. Someone who appears to be going through the motions rather than demanding a place.
65 Cam Pederson - Pedo was, after Hibberd, our most influential player on the ground. He made himself a target, worked tirelessly all over the ground to be involved and was very good. Ruckwork, like Kieltys, as only average against taller opposition. Would surely come in for Weideman though.
69 Ben Kennedy - A slow start, barely noticed him in the first term, was more than made up for with his final 3 qtrs, he worked his butt off, got in an under for hard balls, ran and lead countless times in good position that went unrewarded by teammates probably due to his size. Our 3rd or 4th best player in the end.
91 Michael Hibberd - Best on ground for us by a country mile, was a wall in defence today, and was constantly the focal point as teammates looked to him to use his long raking left foot to get us out of trouble in defence. Would've gained around 7-800 metres for us. I suspect that he may have been our 7th man in defence, along the lines of the way Melbourne play, at times, and he has the perfect skillset for this role. Probably the last time we see the #91 play for Casey this year.

Special mention to Angus Scott with 4 goals whose skills looked as sharp as ever and Ed Morris who was a rock across the half back line and barely wasted a posession.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, KC from Casey said:

Sort of makes me redundant, doesn't it ?

No way, KC.  I love you insights, and the audio of the YouTube didn't work for me so I didn't know who was who much of the time.

Looking forward to your player by player summation.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Well that was some of the worst umpiring you'll see..

Brayshaw was meh for me.. Was hoping for him to really stand put and grab the game by the struff of the neck but didn't. Took a strong mark in the goalsquare though.

Trengove's class at times stood out. looks like he was playing majority as a half back flanker which is something we might see in the AFL soon. has time and composer at this level.

Pedersen battled on in the ruck and did well. I liked his game and right now based on that form he should be ahead of Weideman. But Hogan coming in do they go with Pedo aswell?

Kennedy was also quite good and looked classy at times. Id much rather him in the side then ANB who just panics at all cost when has ball in hand.  Would be close for selection you'd think.

Hibberd started slow as expected  but got better and better as the game went on. Id say bring him in. Some of his dtive and long kicking is exactly what we are lacking in the seniors. 25 disposals is a great return.

Oscar was another who was meh for me. Got rag dolled in a marking contest by none other thrn Ayce Cordy.. Needs time at VFL level.

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Pedersen is a much, much better AFL player than Weideman at this stage.  He will give us more than Weid in every way imaginable.

We have to win games to make the finals, and playing a 19 year old KPF whos not even close to being ready for AFL is a liability.

Obviously Hogan back will strengthen what has been one of our huge weaknesses the past fortnight, a tall forward.

But adding Pedersen would mean that Watts can spend most of his time up forward, or plugging gaps further upfield while Pedo shares the ruck work.  Either that or miss out on Jack's creativity across half and deep forward.

Weed sounds as if he is injured anyway....the bigger question is whether Hannon goes out for Pedo, or even Bull Smith (how did he go today)?

Did Oscar do anything to make us happy?  

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

Why hasn't he been playing ?

He doesn't compete in the air unless he has the sit.

Even if Weideman is injured with a corky I wouldn't bring in Pedersen.

Pedersen is so good the most goals he's kicked in a season at Melbourne is 14.  Quick, rush him in...

Are you Stuie in diguise

• Like 1

2 hours ago, martin said:

Weideman was at the game with a massive bandage on his thigh and was limping. Doubt that he'll play anywhere next week. Pederson a lock.

Helps puts his performance on Saturday in context, especially as it happened early in the match.

2 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I'd prefer Hannan over Kennedy, I think Hannan is a genuine marking option and Kennedy just another ground ball option.  I think between Kent, Garlett and ANB this option is covered

12 hours ago, DemonDave said:

91 Michael Hibberd - Best on ground for us by a country mile, was a wall in defence today, and was constantly the focal point as teammates looked to him to use his long raking left foot to get us out of trouble in defence. Would've gained around 7-800 metres for us. I suspect that he may have been our 7th man in defence, along the lines of the way Melbourne play, at times, and he has the perfect skillset for this role. Probably the last time we see the #91 play for Casey this year.

Great post Dave, thanks for the insights.

MFC clearly taking the p*** with Hibberd in #91.  Nathan Jones' Casey number is probably 157.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

Prefer Weideman.

Don't rate Pedersen.  Not AFL quality.

You must be racking your brain why he's not getting a game.  Perhaps you're wrong.

Rate Weideman - on potential, yes maybe, but right now, he just looks like and performs like a boy playing a man's game.  His output at AFL level has been woeful (corky withstanding).

Pedersen may not be or likely will never be an A grade key position forward, but is capable enough, splits packs, holds his own in the ruck (releasing Watts) , brings down marks and provides a target  that Weid just doesn't right now.  

In summary, Pedersen actually performs at AFL level where as Weid presently just looks like he might be the goods one day.  I know who I would have picked against Freo.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ProDee said:

Firstly, I don't take any notice of a mature Pedersen at VFL level.

Secondly, I watched all of the second half on youtube.  Just a game.

Thirdly, I've seen him plenty of times at AFL level and know what I get.  Don't you know what you get ?

Yep....works well with Hogan. Can take a mark on the lead and kick from 50. Roves pretty well at times also. A long way from being star material but definitely serviceable! :)