Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland: Jake Lever

On 10/10/2017 at 10:20 AM, beelzebub said:

Tex and his texans have dropped their collective bundles. Too many drinking from the Torrens currently.

Tex and his fellow indignants might possibly take a moment to reflect as to the why of the many leaving the Crows before uttering such nonsenses.

A question to Adelaide, might Lever actually be leaving for MORE and sustained SUCCESS ?  He's entitled to the money, it's footy; but before you can place one above the other in argument you might want to be able to back it up. Adelaide are conjuring hypotheticals as though they were FACT then adjudicating upon this.

Possibly Adelaide has looked in the mirror and not liked what it has seen and so has to start blaming folk for their failures. So, let's start pining the "deserting rats" !!

Adelaide are full of more "rats" just waiting to leave too.  The Crows are in a murderous mood but they'll be the ones taken down a peg or two I sense in 2018.  Many will play but not with their hearts in it.

Better open another  Bin 407 chaps...

On 10/10/2017 at 11:28 AM, DSP said:

If Tex ever even contemplates leaving Adelaide at some point, I hope he is absolutely hounded.

What a grade A sook. Terrible leadership qualities.

Adelaide were, until now, my favorite interstate club and Tex my favorite non MFC leader.

No longer - wasn’t Tex ranked amongst the bottom level for effectiveness in the GF. I was waiting for his leadership after half time but it never appeared. 

Flat track bullies?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Deestar9 said:

How refreshing to hear & read most of the football media (mainly ex players ) laud this trade.  One point I absolutely agree with them on is this....we have been to the trade & draft (several times) & we have actually got it right.  We don't need any young 18 yr olds ....we need 21 /22 yr olds who are proven & can fit right into our team profile & more importantly team straight away.  Let's remember we are not giving up a top 10 pick next year ....more likely a 16 or similar.  Why do we want to develop players for two years....our teams profile is then heading up to 25yrs.  Pretty much everyone (without a vested interest) is very excited with our team & are predicting great things.  I concur 100% .  It seems to me that the longer we get away from the past season....the predictions & comments seem to forget about the serious injuries...suspensions...personal illness & tragedy that unfortunately befell the club.   We get all the players who won awards at the B&F absolutely laud Goodwin & the coaching panel....rave about the direction the club is taking & are so excited about the future yet we're reading such negative comments on here about all of the above.  Derision about young men promising to do their best to take this club forward.  I am super excited.....wrapped with all the same things that those B&F players stated & for me the "icing on the cake" would be Jack to stay.  If that doesn't happen then I will respect the "decision" because not one person on this forum would know exactly what has gone on at the footy club with Jack. How about a bit of positivity.....my partner is Collingwood & just said that all you hear on any radio station at the moment is how exciting the Melbourne team is & they are right up there in Premiership calculations!!!!

Spot on.

Some here will know of Colin Wisbey who has a quality eye for footy and players.  His detail is legendary, although I don't provide that here.  

Here's his rankings from 2014 prior to the draft:

1 Christian Petracca 
2 Jake Lever 
3 Caleb Marchbank
4 Jarrod Pickett 
5 Angus Brayshaw 
6 Jordan De Goey 
7 Liam Duggan 
8 Nakia Cockatoo 
9 Patrick McCartin 
10 Paul Ahern 
11 Jayden Laverde
12 Jarrod Garlett 
13 Blaine Boekhorst
14 Touk Miller
15 Billy Evans
16 Alex Neal-Bullen
17 Lachlan Weller 
18 Hugh Goddard
19 Marc Pittonet
20 Daniel McKenzie
21 Connor Blakely
22 Sam Durdin 
23 Brayden Maynard
24 Edward Vickers-Willis
25 Joe Maishman
26 Corey Ellis 
27 Daniel Nielson
28 Peter Wright
29 Lukas Webb
30 Harrison Wigg
31 Tom Lamb
32 Daniel Butler
33 Jack Lonie

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 9

Let just hope that Lever continues his good form next season and is not a one season wonder. 

If his form does drop off this place will implode considering what we have paid in $ and draft pics. 

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The significance of getting pick 35 from the Crows is a factor in all this too.  I wonder if we might bundle that pick up with our pick 27 together with the pick we might receive for Jack Watts. 

Put the 3 picks together and turn it into another configuration that suits our needs.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Jake Lever is an excellent intercept mark and spoiler. With Tom McDonald moving forward, we have been found wanting and Lever will stop 3-4 goals per game. Defensive rotations has left shorter players like Hunt, Jetta and Lewis trying to beat their taller opponents in one on one contests. Having Lever's skill to read the play and intercept is going to make those contests harder for the opposition.

Once he has the ball, then the running power of Hunt, Hibberd and rotating midfield combined with the better delivery skills of Salem, Hibberd, Jetta and an improving Oscar McDonald will make the transition from backline to forward entries.

This is a very good acquisition for Melbourne. To get an intercept defensive player of his quality from the draft is a lottery, so points equivalent of pick 4 is the right price.

How much is stopping 3-4 goals worth?

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Melb-A-Toast said:

Jake Lever is an excellent intercept mark and spoiler. With Tom McDonald moving forward, we have been found wanting and Lever will stop 3-4 goals per game. Defensive rotations has left shorter players like Hunt, Jetta and Lewis trying to beat their taller opponents in one on one contests. Having Lever's skill to read the play and intercept is going to make those contests harder for the opposition.

Once he has the ball, then the running power of Hunt, Hibberd and rotating midfield combined with the better delivery skills of Salem, Hibberd, Jetta and an improving Oscar McDonald will make the transition from backline to forward entries.

This is a very good acquisition for Melbourne. To get an intercept defensive player of his quality from the draft is a lottery, so points equivalent of pick 4 is the right price.

Couldn’t agree more.

• Like 3

To anyone that still thinks we overpaid by trading some speculative picks out for Lever, watch his highlight reel on afl.com.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-10-12/get-excited-lever-flies-as-one-to-the-dees

Nick Riewoldt like in his marking ability, timing and courage.  There are 16 other clubs that would have killed to get him to their club. 

When was the last time we had someone with this marking ability the club? And dont say Jeremy Howe, sure hes good for the highlight reel when he gets a run at it but he doesn't have the courage or ability of Lever, not even close.

Lever will be a champion of the game, not just the MFC.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

To anyone that still thinks we overpaid by trading some speculative picks out for Lever, watch his highlight reel on afl.com.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2017-10-12/get-excited-lever-flies-as-one-to-the-dees

Nick Riewoldt like in his marking ability, timing and courage.  There are 16 other clubs that would have killed to get him to their club. 

When was the last time we had someone with this marking ability the club? And dont say Jeremy Howe, sure hes good for the highlight reel when he gets a run at it but he doesn't have the courage or ability of Lever, not even close.

Lever will be a champion of the game, not just the MFC.

The first 8 seconds I watched ten times - two NM players run into each other, one of them knocks himself out as Lever does a blind turn and leaves them to their brutish dancing. 

It is very funny that the MFC put that highlight first up. 

12 hours ago, ProDee said:

Some here will know of Colin Wisbey who has a quality eye for footy and players.  His detail is legendary, although I don't provide that here.  

1 Christian Petracca 
2 Jake Lever 
3 Caleb Marchbank
4 Jarrod Pickett 
5 Angus Brayshaw 
6 Jordan De Goey 
7 Liam Duggan 
8 Nakia Cockatoo 
9 Patrick McCartin 
10 Paul Ahern 
11 Jayden Laverde
12 Jarrod Garlett 
13 Blaine Boekhorst
14 Touk Miller
15 Billy Evans
16 Alex Neal-Bullen
17 Lachlan Weller 
18 Hugh Goddard
19 Marc Pittonet
20 Daniel McKenzie
21 Connor Blakely
22 Sam Durdin 
23 Brayden Maynard
24 Edward Vickers-Willis
25 Joe Maishman
26 Corey Ellis 
27 Daniel Nielson
28 Peter Wright
29 Lukas Webb
30 Harrison Wigg
31 Tom Lamb
32 Daniel Butler
33 Jack Lonie

It was a real toss up for us between Gus and Lever. Club has followed Lever closely since and the JT to Tigers attempt, was purely to get Lever. As we all know the Tiger's Doctor stopped that.

We have got our man. The FD are very, very happy.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Melb-A-Toast said:

Love Lever, but we won't suddenly go down 18-24 points in points conceded.

Hate to be a killjoy but that only happens when terrible teams become subpar teams. 

We need a quicker flick of the switch from defence to attack and the best way to do that is by having the footy and that would be an interception rather than a stoppage (fist out of bounds). Quick release to get that ball to a player on the other side of the ground and we are away through the corridor or that flank with hopefully Hunt and Hibberd being able to higher up the ground when they receive the footy.

So while McDonald would have stopped those 3-4 goals he didn't set us up going the other way as superbly as someone like Lever should.

So I see him as being an offensive weapon.

PS. Forward here, I have been told I see everything through the lens of moving the ball forward. While I don't see that as being entirely true, you have to score don't you?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ProDee said:

1 Christian Petracca 
2 Jake Lever 
3 Caleb Marchbank
4 Jarrod Pickett 
5 Angus Brayshaw 
6 Jordan De Goey 
7 Liam Duggan 
8 Nakia Cockatoo 
9 Patrick McCartin 
10 Paul Ahern 
11 Jayden Laverde
12 Jarrod Garlett 
13 Blaine Boekhorst
14 Touk Miller
15 Billy Evans
16 Alex Neal-Bullen
17 Lachlan Weller 
18 Hugh Goddard
19 Marc Pittonet
20 Daniel McKenzie
21 Connor Blakely
22 Sam Durdin 
23 Brayden Maynard
24 Edward Vickers-Willis
25 Joe Maishman
26 Corey Ellis 
27 Daniel Nielson
28 Peter Wright
29 Lukas Webb
30 Harrison Wigg
31 Tom Lamb
32 Daniel Butler
33 Jack Lonie

Arguably one could say Lever is the best and most advanced of that lot. The true number I pick. Players like Trac and De Goey need more maturity but are on the right trajectory. 

Edited by america de cali

If you  were to rate them now I’d actually go:

1. Lever
  2. Marchbank
  3. Petracca
  4. Miller
  5. Maynard

The maturity of Miller and Maynard as youngsters in (relatively) struggling sides has been super impressive

And people who are down on Trac shouldn’t be - his consistency and approach to his football has, I think, been terrific

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SFebey said:

I have no issues getting Lever, he is 10 year star, just thought we could of used next years first pick on a ready to go mid like Gaff or similar, that's my only issue, considering we held the cards. Lever is a boss.

Then again we could have drafted Harry Toumpas or Johnny Cook, relatives of two former great picks.

• Angry 1

Just now, Redleg said:

Then again we could have drafted Harry Toumpas or Johnny Cook, relatives of two former great picks.

Lol, nah I wanted another decent recruit with that pick and not go to the draft, maybe we had nothing other than Lever up our sleeve for this year.

Just now, SFebey said:

Lol, nah I wanted another decent recruit with that pick and not go to the draft, maybe we had nothing other than Lever up our sleeve for this year.

I still think if we can do the Watts deal early this week and know what picks we have, there is another out there.

Balic is a formality.

• Like 3

Just now, SFebey said:

I'm all for your Schache idea, email the club and get it happening would ya! :lol:

Got a feeling I might be politely dismissed.

I might be completely wrong, but I just get the feeling that this kid will still be a good AFL player and that he is there for the taking.

The Lever pick of 35 we got, would apparently get it done.

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

Got a feeling I might be politely dismissed.

I might be completely wrong, but I just get the feeling that this kid will still be a good AFL player and that he is there for the taking.

The Lever pick of 35 we got, would apparently get it done.

At first I thought it was a bit 50/50 but it makes sense, puts pressure on spots and who knows, he may be better than all of them. His goalkicking is also much sharper than Weids and as you say Hogan could end up at Freo, Weids could flop or go to Coll and Pedersen will most likely retire. I'm all for it. At old pick 2 turned into a late second round makes sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, SFebey said:

At first I thought it was a bit 50/50 but it makes sense, puts pressure on spots and who knows, he may be better than all of them. His goalkicking is also much sharper than Weids and as you say Hogan could end up at Freo, Weids could flop or go to Coll and Pedersen will most likely retire. I'm all for it. At old pick 2 turned into a late second round makes sense. 

I can't see the downside as picks are speculative at best and here is a giant of a kid who can kick goals and was pick 2 a couple of years ago and we can have him for 35. If he fails so what. We turn over a few every year anyway. If he makes it, it could be the steal of the season.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, SFebey said:

I have no issues getting Lever, he is 10 year star, just thought we could of used next years first pick on a ready to go mid like Gaff or similar, that's my only issue, considering we held the cards. Lever is a boss.

I think Gaff may be a free agent next year. I get what you mean though that we could use the pick in another trade.

• Like 1

Just now, Bonkers said:

I think Gaff may be a free agent next year. I get what you mean though that we could use the pick in another trade.

Yep thats why I said similar, but wouldn't be surprised to see Gaff a Dee. Would've been very handy to add another player this year or next with that pick is what I meant correct.