Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Welcome to Demonland: Jake Lever

On 04/07/2017 at 11:42 PM, Win4theAges said:

Thats the offer from WB, MFC would have to top that, How far you reckon they would sell their soul, only Defender I'd be paying that money for is Rance and he's not available. Why exactly do we need him. This has been leaked deliberately to put him off his game against the dogs Friday Night.

This article suggests that we've put forward a similar offer:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-06/jake-wants-to-be-at-the-club-we-want-jake

1 hour ago, ChaserJ said:

This article suggests that we've put forward a similar offer:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-06/jake-wants-to-be-at-the-club-we-want-jake

Excellent, we are on the attack for gun players that we need to improve our chances of LONG TERM Success

6 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

If the reported offer is correct, it's clear the FD don't share the same views as many on here in regards to Frost and Oscar.

Especially given the fact that Lever is the same age as Oscar and has played less games than Frost.

Or perhaps they like the idea of all 3?

I can't wait for the day you have to eat humble pie.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

If the reported offer is correct, it's clear the FD don't share the same views as many on here in regards to Frost and Oscar.

Especially given the fact that Lever is the same age as Oscar and has played less games than Frost.

Well it makes sense that if T McDonald were to continue up forward in that FWD/Ruck role, with Hogan and Watts, we need a quality defender to fill the hole he leaves down back. Lever would be a phenomenal pick up and with Frost and Oscar, would form a formidable back line.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

Or perhaps they like the idea of all 3?

I can't wait for the day you have to eat humble pie.

Why will I be eating humble pie?

It's reported we're offering a key defender $800,000 a year who is in a very similar age and experience bracket to both Frost and Oscar McDonald. What does that tell you? If you're suggesting the coaches like the idea of all three playing in the one backline then I'm assuming you see our current best defender in Tom McDonald making permanent move forward from next year onwards?

Hell no. Due to unfortunate circumstance, he has been the shuffle-guy because he can play forward and ruck at a better level than the other two. 

What I see them liking the idea of is the following: Having a really settled and strong defence in Tom McDonald and hopefully Jake Lever as our two main key defenders. Leaving the third tall spot to be an open battle between two developing keys, (Frost and Oscar) who are yet to show anything other than glimpses. (Some weeks three keys will be unnecessary).

That is what we need moving forward. Oscar and Frost competing for the same spot so that when they come in, the pressure to perform is as high as possible.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

28 minutes ago, Luther said:

Well it makes sense that if T McDonald were to continue up forward in that FWD/Ruck role, with Hogan and Watts, we need a quality defender to fill the hole he leaves down back. Lever would be a phenomenal pick up and with Frost and Oscar, would form a formidable back line.

With a fit and firing Hogan, Watts, Weideman, Pederson and a resting Gawn as forward at times, why on earth would we play our current best defender as a forward/ruck?

It makes little to no sense to me.

Oscar and Frost are nothing but potential atm. Hopefully I don't need to bring up the multiple examples of players who have shown potential but ultimately don't cut it.

19 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

With a fit and firing Hogan, Watts, Weideman, Pederson and a resting Gawn as forward at times, why on earth would we play our current best defender as a forward/ruck?

It makes little to no sense to me.

Oscar and Frost are nothing but potential atm. Hopefully I don't need to bring up the multiple examples of players who have shown potential but ultimately don't cut it.

Pederson is 30, Weideman is developing and when Maxy goes forward, someone needs to rotate with him. McDonald has performed admirably in the role this season, so if we were to recruit Lever I could see him spending much of his time up forward and relieving Maxy.

There's no reason he can't go back when required.

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Why will I be eating humble pie?

It's reported we're offering a key defender $800,000 a year who is in a very similar age and experience bracket to both Frost and Oscar McDonald. What does that tell you? If you're suggesting the coaches like the idea of all three playing in the one backline then I'm assuming you see our current best defender in Tom McDonald making permanent move forward from next year onwards?

Hell no. Due to circumstance, he has been the shuffle-guy due to his versatility. 

What I see them liking the idea of is the following: Having a really settled and strong defence in Tom McDonald and hopefully Jake Lever as our two main key defenders. Leaving the third tall spot to be an open battle between two developing keys, (Frost and Oscar) who are yet to show anything other than glimpses. (Some weeks three keys will be unnecessary).

That is what we need moving forward. Oscar and Frost competing for the same spot so that when they come in, the pressure to perform is as high as possible.

I actually see McDonald as playing more of a utility type role, similar to a Blicavs.

He is tall and can run all day. I'd play him through the middle as a back up ruck and Mr fix-it.

6 minutes ago, Is Dom Is Good said:

I actually see McDonald as playing more of a utility type role, similar to a Blicavs.

He is tall and can run all day. I'd play him through the middle as a back up ruck and Mr fix-it.

I prefer Jack Watts in that role (not in ruck), as watts far more damaging and creative.

51 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

I prefer Jack Watts in that role (not in ruck), as watts far more damaging and creative.

If we were to pick up Lever I think we could play all of Omac, Frost, Lever, Watts, Tmac, Hogan, Weid & Gawn in the one side next season.

It would be quite a tall side, however most of them are quite mobile so I don't think it would effect the team balance too bad.

You would then have the remainder of the team as mids and outside runners/forwards which would be 14 in total which is more than enough.

If we were to land Lever I'd let Frost settle as depth at Casey. I'd play Lever with TMac, and where match ups pervail, OMac as 3rd tall.

Another option if we got Lever (a I know this won't go down well with many) is to test the trade value of TMac. Next year is apparently a bumper draft. Would have to consider it if we traded Tom to Brisbane, Coll or Gold Coast for a future 1st rounder.

• Like 1

Lots of talk about the money for Lever, but no consideration given to what you'd have to give in the trade.

$850k a year means AT LEAST a 1st and 2nd round draft pick.  It's probably more like first round picks in 2 consecutive drafts given this draft is apparently shallow.

Lewis and Vince are almost done, Jones has to slow down soon, Brayshaw is a question mark.  

Those that want Lever at any cost must love watching ANB, Harmes, Bugg etc run around up the other end?  I'd be recruiting midfield class to force the NQR's to "depth" status.

Heck, for $150k more a year and similar draft picks you could go for Josh Kelly and get the type of player we really need.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Lots of talk about the money for Lever, but no consideration given to what you'd have to give in the trade.

$850k a year means AT LEAST a 1st and 2nd round draft pick.  It's probably more like first round picks in 2 consecutive drafts given this draft is apparently shallow.

Lewis and Vince are almost done, Jones has to slow down soon, Brayshaw is a question mark.  

Those that want Lever at any cost must love watching ANB, Harmes, Bugg etc run around up the other end?  I'd be recruiting midfield class to force the NQR's to "depth" status.

Heck, for $150k more a year and similar draft picks you could go for Josh Kelly and get the type of player we really need.

Nice points. 

It's still possible to obtain class without needing super high draft picks thanks to free agency and trading. IMO, what's most important for us is having quality covered across all lines who can and will come through together. Atm, our key defenders are our weak-link. We don't have consistent quality there. And I mean high-end quality. Lever is high-end.

I'd be more than willing to give up a future first-round pick plus a depth player like ANB for Lever. Lever is in the same age bracket as our talented core and is without a doubt going to be one of the best key defenders in the competition in time. 

Lever

T-Mac

Viney

Hogan

Weideman

That spine is absurd and granted we keep them, they'll play in those positions for us for years.. I understand T-Mac is slightly older. I consider him super important as a future leader along with Gawn, Jetta and Watts. Add our other young core group to the squad and the team reads:

Jetta             Lever     

Hunt             T-Mac       

Viney      Salem 

Watts           Hogan     Petracca

Weideman

Foll:               Gawn      Oliver      Brayshaw

Once the 9 bolded players hit above the one-hundred game mark, we'll be laughing and we'll see sustained success for a while. Adding class to a team like that won't be hard. Through FA, players will be keen to join us I'm sure. Kelly is commanding way too much coin and whilst he is an amazing talent, I'd rather hit Lever hard for our spine. The rest will come.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jnrmac said:

$212,500 a year? Seems OK to me.

Id retire in Thailand after 212k a year for 4 years tbqh.

Anyway. Topic. Maybe this year has told our coaches that we need insurance on Weidemann and TMAC playing forward has been the godsend that has sured up our chf role in the event that Weeds career is smoked but LEVER is the insurance on Weidemann really, not Frost or Omac. Maybe Frost or Omac will provide us with trade ammunition to bring in another A grade mid if we have a glut of defenders in the future but until then we need to cover CHF. Probably speaks of our lack of faith in bringing in Reid or Tippet

Edited by DominatrixTyson

6 hours ago, PaulRB said:

Watts can't mark over his head to save himself. In fact he decidedly average for a bloke of his size (Contested I mean), whereas T Mac is quite good offensively.

I'm liking what I see of Tommy the past few weeks, and with a star like Lever in defence, we would be blessed with options at both ends of the ground.

I thought our mob said only a couple of years ago that it had built a "war chest"?

About bloody time we used it, as the time is right now.

• Like 1