Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for next week v Geelong

Oliver Sholem

15 hours ago, brendan said:

Hannan to get another crack was probably his 1st time playing at the MCG And he seems to like etihad so I would only make 2 changes 

out:hogan, Lewis 

in: smith, Vince 

but then I wouldn't mind seeing Kent back too, it's nice having a bit of depth 

Kent for a very unlucky ANB?  Or even a jaded Brayshaw?

15 hours ago, A F said:

It's quite Bulldogs-2016-like with Petracca playing the Stringer role and Watts and Weideman playing the tall/mid sized options.

Petracca will need to lift his intensity considerably over what he displayed on Sunday, but I believe he can.

I would be thinking that Max in a non contested throw in, in the forward line stoppage area, within a reasonable distance of goal, would be knocked up putting the ball into the goal square, seeing as he is able to use both hands quite effectively.

24 minutes ago, JV7 said:

Don't understand the no love for Pedersen. He has filled in for Hogan well previously, he always creates a contest & provides a marking target to kick too, he works hard & albeit his not blessed with pace he make his presence felt at ground level too. You know what you'll get from him, now is not the time to try an unknown Smith & I don't like the idea of 2 rucks at Etihad.. Pedersen in for Hogan is a no brainer, unless we go small which sounds good in theory until Lonergan, Mackie, Taylor (if he stays back) mop up every high ball inside 50.

We lacked a lead up target across half forward last week, our midfielders & half backs had nothing to kick too.. Pedersen will give us that option, it sounds stupid but he actually hits up the kicker better than Hogan does, who likes to try & get into a 1 on 1 tussle. 

Edit: not to mention he can ruck and lets our 2nd best goal kicker (Watts) stay permanently inside 50

Can't but agree with your comments about Pedersen, has often been an adequate fill in. Don't think Spencer has ever shown he can fill that role at AFL level. Most people voted for Pedersen over Dawes for a reason

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JV7 said:

Don't understand the no love for Pedersen. He has filled in for Hogan well previously, he always creates a contest & provides a marking target to kick too, he works hard & albeit his not blessed with pace he make his presence felt at ground level too. You know what you'll get from him, now is not the time to try an unknown Smith & I don't like the idea of 2 rucks at Etihad.. Pedersen in for Hogan is a no brainer, unless we go small which sounds good in theory until Lonergan, Mackie, Taylor (if he stays back) mop up every high ball inside 50.

We lacked a lead up target across half forward last week, our midfielders & half backs had nothing to kick too.. Pedersen will give us that option, it sounds stupid but he actually hits up the kicker better than Hogan does, who likes to try & get into a 1 on 1 tussle. 

Edit: not to mention he can ruck and lets our 2nd best goal kicker (Watts) stay permanently inside 50

If we go small in the forward line (ie, Weideman and Watts only with no Pedersen, Spencer or T Smith) would we be exposed if Taylor plays forward given our lack of tall defenders? Is this another reason to play a third tall? Or would Taylor playing in the forward line be considered to be advantageous for us? 

4 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

If we go small in the forward line (ie, Weideman and Watts only with no Pedersen, Spencer or T Smith) would we be exposed if Taylor plays forward given our lack of tall defenders? Is this another reason to play a third tall? Or would Taylor playing in the forward line be considered to be advantageous for us? 

I would actually prefer Taylor plays forward.. From all reports him moving to defence last week was a big reason they got back into the game. I don't see him as a permanent forward so would rather him up there. Having said that he'll probably come out and kick 6 now

• Like 1

I like the idea of Spencer going forward and helping out with the ruck work. Having a real tall down forward may soak up a couple of backmen as Geelong tries to cover them. That may give us an edge around the ground, or for our crumbers.  Though giving tim smith a go is also probably a good option.  We have a few players that did not have a great game, we need to persist with them and only push them back to Casey when someone from Casey forces their way into the team.

As most have said I would select Vince to replace Lewis.

The Hogan replacement is a bit more of a problem and it will depend on how the match committee look at playing the game. Do we go with Pedersen or a Spencer type to ensure that we have a bigger body available in the forwards to take a defender and make sure we are not overpowered at the pointy end or do we look for a medium/small replacement that can add to the smaller faster types? I can see pros and cons for both arguments. Glad that I do not have to make the decision.

Having said that, I would like to see what Tim Smith can bring to the side and I think that Etihad might just be the place to show what he has. let him lead all day out of the goal square with Watts and Wied roaming wide and far. maybe even use him the way they have Hogan and stick him in at a couple of center bounces.

I like Kent in the team but with Garlett, ANB, Petracca etc already rotating in and out of half forward I do not see who we can take out to get him in the side. Maybe the question is; "Who would have made way for Bernie's return?" Harmes was a good contributor, ANB put his hand up in the last quarter, Brayshaw? Hmmm not for me, I think he needs the run to help him find his feet in the heat of the game. 

My team for the Cats:

B: Jayden Hunt, Oscar McDonald, Jake Melksham
HB: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Bernie Vince
C: Christian Salem, Clayton Oliver, Billy Stretch
HF: Nathan Jones, Jack Watts, Christian Petracca
F: Tim Smith, Sam Wiedeman, Jeff Garlett
FOLL: Max Gawn, Jack Viney, Dom Tyson
I/C: Dean Kent, James Harmes, Alex Neal-Bullen, Angus Brayshaw
EMG: Ben Kennedy, Tomas Bugg, Jake Spencer

Whilst I'd like to see Spencer get a game (especially since he was a ket factor in our win over the Cats two years ago), I can't quite see how they can do it.

In order of likely recalls, I reckon Goody will want Vince, Kent and then Wagner - he has already shown his man-crush on Wags.

After that I imagine he'll consider Spencer and Bugg.

Geelong, unless they recall Zac Smith, have gone with a much more mid-sized line up than last year and so that means Spencer is even more unlikely. 

The big question to me is who misses out for Wags. Do they suggest to Angus to take a rest, axe Hannan after one game where the midfield didn't look for him or omit Neal-Bullen, who looks more confident than last season. The player they probably should omit is Melksham but that won't happen unless he completely balls up things. I reckon that with Vince and Wags in the back seven, Melky will end up on a wing or could he be a surprise tag on Danger? Of course they could move Salem back to a wing, but after last week, that's a brave call.

So I'll go with the following side - I have nominated defensive opponents, but I also get that most of the time we are in a zone, so switches occur regularly. The good thing is that our own switching of play will make the Cats work harder than normal to get it back off us.

B: Hunt (Horlin-Smith) O.Mac (TomaHawk) Jetta (McCarthy)

HB: Vince (Menzel) T-Mac  (Taylor) Salem (Lang/Parfitt)

C: Stretch (Murdoch) Viney (Selwood) Melksham (Lang)

HF: Kent Petracca Harmes

F: Garlett Watts Weidemann

Ru: Gawn Oliver N.Jones

Int: Tyson Hannan Wagner Brayshaw/Neal-Bullen

7 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

It will be interesting and instructive to see what happens at selection.

I'd go for:

In: Vince, T.Smith, Kent
Out: Lewis, Hogan, Brayshaw

I think we need an additional marking target when Watts is in the ruck so I'm favouring Smith who sounds like he's playing better than Pedersen.

I'm a fan of Brayshaw but he is struggling and we need to kick goals so Kent comes in.  Brayshaw will eventually become an important mid as Lewis, Vince and Jones move out of the midfield and retire.  He can ply his trade as starting mid at Casey and benefit there.  Right now he's playing HF, wing and it's not really his strength - ANB is playing that role better right now

If they decide to make only the 2 forced changes then I'd go for Kent ahead of Smith and play the small forward line.

Yup.

The only thing I would add is that Angus should consider practising in some head-gear at Casey. That way he can look like both Robert Harvey and Nathan Burke at the same time. 

CHF.I think T.Smith could be a good move.I would like to see Hannan in preference to Brayshaw or Neal- Bullen ,he offers more up front and has etihad stadium form. Geelong are not a super side.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

CHF.I think T.Smith could be a good move.I would like to see Hannan in preference to Brayshaw or Neal- Bullen ,he offers more up front and has etihad stadium form. Geelong are not a super side.

Fair enough but I think having both Hannan and Smith in the forward 50 would be over egging the cake...

On 03/04/2017 at 0:39 AM, Jesus Hoganshaw said:

No, it doesn't. It shows that if he's collecting the pill, then someone else with decent disposal isn't.

The problem is that Tyson's best is very good, but his worst is shocking. I'd rather see him find form in the VFL.

On 03/04/2017 at 0:39 AM, Jesus Hoganshaw said:

No, it doesn't. It shows that if he's collecting the pill, then someone else with decent disposal isn't.

The problem is that Tyson's best is very good, but his worst is shocking. I'd rather see him find form in the VFL.

Oh what bloody nonsense! Tyson's second half was largely responsible for our winning.

as to other changes, surely, with 2 compulsory outs we don't need others. Vince replaces Lewis, someone such as Pedersen for Hogan. I can't stop thinking that we played Spencer and Max together when we beat the Cats at Geelong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JV7 said:

I reckon Pedders will get his chance at some point JV. Not sure about this week tho given the venue and where his fitness/form is at

Edited by Rusty Nails

8 hours ago, Wolfmother said:

I know this is a bit out there but for team balance how about placing big max at full forward and spencer in the ruck??? 

I dont think spencer would lose the ruck duel to Stanley and Gawn is an aerial threat in the F50

I don't think taking the AA ruckman out of the ruck is a great move.  Although Geelong would be laughing.

I also don't think Gawn or Spencer are great 4 quarter key forward options.

With Hogan and Lewis out, I think Kent needs to come back in and probably depending on if they are fit Hibberd or Vandenberg, otherwise Spencer. Vince is the obvious choice and he'll be back in but I'm not sure at who's expense, it could be Lewis, Melksham or Stretch, maybe even ANB. I would love to drop Oscar McDonald for Sam Frost but I'm not sure that will happen, and Melksham had a bad one against Carlton too. 

Edited by Hogans Heroe"s

57 minutes ago, Hogans Heroe"s said:

And yes Tim Smith to debut wouldn't be bad either. Seems as though he's strong and has good hands

He is a dead eye dick also HH. 

On 4 April 2017 at 3:20 AM, RalphiusMaximus said:

I tend to agree that we don't need to go overly tall for this one.  Could be an ideal time to see what Tim Smith can do, or add Kent back into the mix in place of Hogan.  Vince is an automatic selection to replace Lewis. 

On 4 April 2017 at 5:50 AM, martin said:

Agree with the Tim Smith sentiment. Based on Plapp's weekend assessment,his strong mature body,marking power and accuracy at goal pick him and surprise the Cats. Elevating would help his confidence and his 'wild card' aspect could be a bonus. Hogan was hampered by an ankle on the weekend and below his best.Rest won't hurt. As suggested,Vince for Lewis and Kent for Hannan (bit stiff but clunking a few at Casey could help him). Would be tempted to swap Bugg for ANB or Harmes but 5 changes is a lot and it is Etihad.Finally,very vencouraged by Maynard's 28 touches and the coaches glowing report. One for the future!

22 hours ago, Matt Demon said:

Unleash The Raging Bull! 

21 hours ago, Demons11 said:

I'm thinking the same thing.  They just need someone to provide a contest and let the smalls get to work.  I think Kent comes in also.  ANB will make way for Kent 

19 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

It will be interesting and instructive to see what happens at selection.

I'd go for:

In: Vince, T.Smith, Kent
Out: Lewis, Hogan, Brayshaw

I think we need an additional marking target when Watts is in the ruck so I'm favouring Smith who sounds like he's playing better than Pedersen.

I'm a fan of Brayshaw but he is struggling and we need to kick goals so Kent comes in.  Brayshaw will eventually become an important mid as Lewis, Vince and Jones move out of the midfield and retire.  He can ply his trade as starting mid at Casey and benefit there.  Right now he's playing HF, wing and it's not really his strength - ANB is playing that role better right now

If they decide to make only the 2 forced changes then I'd go for Kent ahead of Smith and play the small forward line.

11 hours ago, ENYAW said:

11 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

If Pedersen isn't fit or ready then I'd happily see Tim Smith make his debut.

1 hour ago, Hogans Heroe"s said:

And yes Tim Smith to debut wouldn't be bad either. Seems as though he's strong and has good hands

Everybody talking so much BULL on here....surely it's an omen!!!

Edited by Rusty Nails

11 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

How would Petracca go out of the goal square?

Depends on how we move the ball and who he plays on.  If they stick a smaller/mid size back on him and we give him some space then he'll create havoc.  If we just bomb it on his head with Lonergan on him?  It won't go well.

If we were to give him the space to lead, run and jump at the footy then he'll take his share of marks.  I like the idea, but I'm not actually sure how Trac will go with it.

38 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Oscar vs T Hawkins.

Reminiscent of a scene from David Attenborough's 'Africa'. 

You're becoming obsessed, Steve.  You bring the poor kid up in every thread.  

• Like 4