Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 2

Demonland

7 minutes ago, demon9 said:

Don't waste your time typing Demon Jack. Some of the posters on here have got no idea.

People saying Jack Watts had a poor game are delusional. Had 19 disposals, kicked 2 goals, 8 marks, 7 scoring involvements and got one massive punch in the head by Rowe. I can't recall many games pre-2016 that JW had that much of an impact on a win. 

Tyson was also a bit rusty but still racked up possessions and started to use the ball better in the last qtr.

Both teams played really well defensively which is why it was so low scoring. Carlton actually held us up a lot better than the Saints did. The Saints were basically witches hats after qtr time last week.

Anyone listening to MMM today with Paul Roos doing special comments will have a much better appreciation of today's win.

Still unsure on Melksham though. Really doesn't use the ball well. Brayshaw just had a bad game - not much went his way. Nothing to worry about though. 

I agree with you on JW I guess we have to accept some only see what they want to see.

Oh and you forgot his ruck work.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, demon9 said:

Don't waste your time typing Demon Jack. Some of the posters on here have got no idea.

People saying Jack Watts had a poor game are delusional. Had 19 disposals, kicked 2 goals, 8 marks, 7 scoring involvements and got one massive punch in the head by Rowe. I can't recall many games pre-2016 that JW had that much of an impact on a win. 

Tyson was also a bit rusty but still racked up possessions and started to use the ball better in the last qtr.

Both teams played really well defensively which is why it was so low scoring. Carlton actually held us up a lot better than the Saints did. The Saints were basically witches hats after qtr time last week.

Anyone listening to MMM today with Paul Roos doing special comments will have a much better appreciation of today's win.

Still unsure on Melksham though. Really doesn't use the ball well. Brayshaw just had a bad game - not much went his way. Nothing to worry about though. 

I completely agree. It's amazing on here the amount of negativity that can spur from a medium played game. There's certainly an over analysis of players on demonland were some posters want every player to play like pd35 every week. Nobody has moved on to melbournes direction of everybody playing a role to get the win.

Weather some players made mistakes in the heat of the moment they're still learning week to week being one of the youngest teams in the comp.

Finding that the general consensus on here is a good portion of posters only looking at 1 Team playing the game, and not working out that every single player will not beat their opponent every week. Surely a good way to get ulcers

Winning, it's good for the soul guys, get around it

Edited by Deelirium
Grammar
  • Like 5

Oliver has 70 disposals in 2 weeks of footy and has played 15 games...those numbers are unprecedented. 

Harmes was wicked, Nifty Nev Jetta was awesome, Jeffy was awesome, Jones was deadly by foot.

Dom Tyson had leather poisoning with 35 disposals...not bad for his first day back!

Geelong next week at Etihad...who knows!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I remember last year i said that his disposal was quite poor and got howled down for it. He was simply poor by foot today. Do we continue to back him in and gift him games??

Sometimes he reminds me of Jack Trengove the way he plods around too. 

Those stats are not pretty.

Hi dd I see your boy played well today.

I was thinking of you when he ran down that guy in the last.

Two good games in a row.

A third? hmm nothing is impossible. 

1 minute ago, old dee said:

Hi dd I see your boy played well today.

I was thinking of you when he ran down that guy in the last.

Two good games in a row.

A third? hmm nothing is impossible. 

Harmes?

Interesting tactic to tag Lewis, clubs still don't rate the skills or class of our other mids/half backs. Vince was a big out who provides Lewis cover for when that happens again.

If teams can shut down Lewis and Vince we can look pedestrian.

• Like 2

I have had time to get over the knot in my gut after watching a disoriented, reactive Dees team win while being flogged by Carlton in the midfield.

We lost the game coming through half forward. Well done Bolton for being able to read how we move through half forward and totally mess with our heads, and well done to his experienced players for sticking to the plan of how to keep messing with our heads. They successfully made us second-guess decisions, do dinky pathetic little 14.5 metre kicks, and trapped us within our dependence on the 45 degree kick.  

Our backline were outstanding today.Take a bow, Nev Jetta.

Our midfield looked disorganised and predictable (I know these sound impossible together but it describes it well). Some moments of strength  but the only full time contributors were Oliver and Jones. All the others fumbled the ball when it was on the ground, while Cripps, Murphy and Gibbs were VERY clean.

Gawn v Kruezer was the battle I thought it would be.

With the excpetion of Garlett, our forward line was disgraceful. Dropped marks, ran to predictable places and refused to lead more than once, made slow poor decisions like 50cm handpasses to stationary team mates, and tried stupid fancy little things that lose key moments in a game. 

4th quarter heroes: Well done Harmes - I am not a fan but he was important. Well done Watts - you redeemed a shocker of a game  through a very strong effort. Jeffy - show the replay of your chase-down goal to all the other forwards because they deserve to be embarrassed by it. Jetta, I hope the big fella you ran into is sore from your amazing effort. 

Brayshaw, Petracca, Viney, Weideman and ANB I hope you are ready for a horror review on Monday. You all deserve it, alomg with others.

But we won. Just. 

• Like 2

It was a long way from the "worst" win I've seen, we still got home by 4 goals and finished by far the stronger side. The boys did well to grit their teeth at 3 quarter time and put a dogged opposition away, these wins are ultimately more valuable than coasting home when the other team throws in the towel.

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, Skuit said:

What happened to Nathan Jones? I don't recall a Demons player improving their kicking so much in one off-season as to turn it into a genuine weapon. I don't think it's the extra protection around the ball - he just seems to be really backing himself in. Meanwhile, Jordan Lewis . . .

He was starting to hit more lead up targets last year Skuit but i also think he has taken it to a higher level again in these first two matches. I am also loving his decision making so far this year. Seems to have matured to another level and knows the value of a quick deep kick inside 50 from the middle to the top of the square vs always trying to hit up a target by foot or hand when under heat.

I suspect this is also a spin off from our improved mid field stocks in general. Results in a little less heat from opponents with more time/space to run off or away from congestion  and lower the eyes for shorter passing options.

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Of course he played well. Just like last week?

I don't know where your going with this Old Dee??

No where dd.

Just giving you a little praise

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Clint, waaay of mate, Two totally different types of players for a start Gus Grunt plus, Toumpas ............ There is nothing there at all! Sorry poor comparison!

Got any stats or substance to back that up picket, or just your usual OTT bs? 

Seems to me Clint has a good point. They are a different type of players, but both have average outputs

Just now, old dee said:

No where dd.

Just giving you a little praise

Praise accepted. I thought you ment Harmes who to my surprise was actually quite decent. Was very clean with the ball and rarely made mistakes.

Deserves another go.

2 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

He had no JLT lead in guys. Was always going to be a little flat after his first up game against the Saints. He might also be recouping somewhat from whatever the reason was ? that kept him from getting a JLT Guernsey in the first place. I suspect he is just not quite at the match fitness level and touch we saw in 2016 but is still a much better user and deliverer of the pill when out in space than most even when half baked (fitness wise). Although I was disappointed he didn't see and hit up a loose Jeffy in the pocket at one stage when coming i50 in the last.

He will be a whole lot better for this run in the next few weeks I reckon. He was one of at least half a dozen who helped win this match for us in the last and also kicked our first so I'm not complaining.

In the post match he made a comment about it being a little closer than we would've liked. Makes me think some of the guys incl Watts expected to turn up and win today. Hopefully they got a reality check 

• Like 1

Many down this week and we won.  Love Goodwins approach in the presser thanks fans and responds to the predictable and lazy, glad to get the bogey out of the way question with " like I said last week" or weren't you listening stupid we are looking forward.

what is nice is I always felt we would get the 4 points despite many poor performances. And I won't have a grumpy Monday. Now that's a win in our household. 

• Like 1

I haven't watched the replay yet, I'm just going off my thoughts of watching the game live.

I actually think Carlton set up their backline really well, it was hard for us to get any decent delivery into our forward 50. I thought Hogan did a lot of work but was let down badly by our delivery into that congested zone, and Rowe played a pretty solid game.

Salem, OMac and TMac were great down back today. Lewis was tagged but did a bit off the ball to try and clear space for other players.

Jones, Jeffy, Tyson and Oliver were great. Sometimes I think Oliver is too cute with his handballs, but I'm being picky with that one.

It looked, and felt, like we outplayed them most of the game, but our bad turnovers in attack really cost us, they then spread and ran the ball down the wing and hurt us quite a few times on those turnovers.

I'd be surprised if Hogan even copped a fine for his incident.

Overall I'm happy with a 22 point win, I'll admit I was hoping for an 8-10 goal win, but Carlton played an outstanding third quarter and a win is a win. My views may change after watching the replay though. ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

In the post match he made a comment about it being a little closer than we would've liked. Makes me think some of the guys incl Watts expected to turn up and win today. Hopefully they got a reality check 

I would not be surprised if there was a little of that Gonzo. Which is ok as long as we win :)

I also think Big M is NQR at the moment physically with the back issue that's been mentioned. Seemed to be off the ground more than usual today which saw Jack (and Clarry on one occasion :lol:) having to take on the ruck duties a little more than Goody and crew would have been planning on, although that's just a guess on my part. Maxy being NQR seemed to play a significant role in Carlton getting on top in the center during parts of the 2nd & 3rd and early in the 4th. Cripps also had a pretty good run again here though, with the most clearances on the day. Some significant Kudos to our defence, who i thought did a very good job overall. Our team defence and zone/press also seemed to work quite well, albeit against a lowly rated opponent so too early to get overly excited.

40 minutes ago, The Sailing Demon said:

Oliver has 70 disposals in 2 weeks of footy and has played 15 games...those numbers are unprecedented. 

Harmes was wicked, Nifty Nev Jetta was awesome, Jeffy was awesome, Jones was deadly by foot.

Dom Tyson had leather poisoning with 35 disposals...not bad for his first day back!

Geelong next week at Etihad...who knows!

Geelong, Freo then Tigers. Legit chance to be 4-1 going into the Bombers game (and they didn't look too scary last night)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Geelong, Freo then Tigers. Legit chance to be 4-1 going into the Bombers game (and they didn't look too scary last night)

Each game will be interesting for different reasons.

Geelong will play us a lot like St Kilda, again at Etihad. At our best I'm confident we can win, but will we reach our best?

Fremantle will play us a lot like Carlton, again at the G. We should smash them but after today who knows?

Richmond is our first prime time game for the year against a side we performed really well against under Roos. Will be interesting, to me at least, to see how we back that up (especially if we are 3-1 or, heaven forbid, 4-0, going into it).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Males said:

I haven't watched the replay yet, I'm just going off my thoughts of watching the game live.

I actually think Carlton set up their backline really well, it was hard for us to get any decent delivery into our forward 50. I thought Hogan did a lot of work but was let down badly by our delivery into that congested zone, and Rowe played a pretty solid game.

Salem, OMac and TMac were great down back today. Lewis was tagged but did a bit off the ball to try and clear space for other players.

Jones, Jeffy, Tyson and Oliver were great. Sometimes I think Oliver is too cute with his handballs, but I'm being picky with that one.

It looked, and felt, like we outplayed them most of the game, but our bad turnovers in attack really cost us, they then spread and ran the ball down the wing and hurt us quite a few times on those turnovers.

Overall I'm happy with a 22 point win, I'll admit I was hoping for an 8-10 goal win, but Carlton played an outstanding third quarter and a win is a win. My views may change after watching the replay though. ?

All true. However I thought We kept them in the match, in the first half we set up their entire score by going back into the corridor, missing the target then turning it over, so the Blues could run straight back into goal, from inside 60 m. Poor game plan? I am not sure but certainly poor execution of whatever the game plan is. I don't think it will stand up against the top sides, on today's showing. 

48 minutes ago, Males said:

Very much like this post overall, but Hogan's game was really two-sided. He got 21 possessions & 10 marks, but only 1 mark inside 50, and got 0 goals 3 behinds, 2 of which were relatively easy. He also dropped 3 or 4 sitters near goal. 

So on one hand, he had a good game up the ground. On the other, I don't think I've ever seen him play worse as a forward. On a normal Hogan day, with the chances he got he could have had 5 or 6. He was clearly very frustrated with himself. But to his credit he kept working hard up the ground.

How was that spoil from Jetta on Casboult? Ridiculously good. Shows he'll stand up just fine in a zone when playing on a much larger opponent. Love that he's taking the game on more now too. 

• Like 1