Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Max Gawn to honour Jim Stynes

dazzledavey36

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

And this is why we love big Maxy.

Stynes’ spirit remains strong with Gawn

Good coverage of Maxy by the Sunday Sun.

I like the reference at the end about Jimmy's family still being close to the club and that Brian Stynes has a "very handy little son who plays footy". Unfortunately, young Stynes only played two games for the Demons which leaves his boy 98 games short of qualifying under the father/son rule. 

Years ago, the old VFL introduced the father/son rule to enable Ron Barassi Jnr to play for his father's club after Barassi Snr was killed in action during WW2. Perhaps, it's time for an uncle/nephew rule?

Also good to see Max is helping out with Jimmy's Reach Foundation. Quality stuff!

• Like 4

Just read the article now. 5 years has passed, so fast. 

Big Jimma I never met you, but i cried like i had lost a brother at your funeral

Round 2 this year we must honour you properly with a complete smashing of Carlscum...

do it Max...

Will get shot down for this, but will say it anyway.

Why are we having a club tribute 5 years after his death?

We acknowledged Jim's passing and work he did with the club in a very appropriate manner shortly after his passing.  That chapter has closed, and a new one has started and ended since.  We are about to start working on the next chapter.  Let's use all our energy on that.

In no way am I suggesting we forget.

Attack away...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

We acknowledged Jim's passing and work he did with the club in a very appropriate manner shortly after his passing.  That chapter has closed, and a new one has started and ended since.  We are about to start working on the next chapter.  Let's use all our energy on that.

Attack away...

Nah... don't want to waste the energy

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Attack away...

After the hard work he put in off the field to keep our club afloat, Jim Stynes will be a huge part of anything we do going forward, whether we acknowledge it or not.  His chapter will never close.

Great article, too. 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Attack away...

I'm with you Billy.

Unfortunately society craves nostalgia.

Life is for the living.

It seems a little undignified to me.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with acknowledging the 5 year mark as long as it doesn't go overboard and distract from the game. Perhaps more for the crowd before the players run out. Let the players focus on the game.

I like that Max finds inner strength from thinking of the no 11 regularly. I bet many fans do too.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

After the hard work he put in off the field to keep our club afloat, Jim Stynes will be a huge part of anything we do going forward, whether we acknowledge it or not.  His chapter will never close.

Great article, too. 

Sadly, Wiseblood, it did, and way too early.

Stynes saved this club from dying, and in the end, probably spent more time and energy doing that than he did saving himself (and that says a lot given the extremes he went to to save himself).  We all wish that his personal outcome was a lot better, and ended a bloody long time later.

But it didn't, and thanks a heck of a lot to him, the MFC is here to fight another day.  The work that Peter Jackson has undertaken is as big, if not bigger than what Jim was able to do.  This is a new chapter of the Melbourne Football Club book.  A book that J Stynes write some many memorable chapters, but to start a new chapter, the previous one has to end.

What will NEVER end is the MFC book, and that we can thank Jim for.  I just don't know why the club is making a public show of it, especially 5 years after his passing.

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I don't have a problem with acknowledging the 5 year mark as long as it doesn't go overboard and distract from the game. Perhaps more for the crowd before the players run out. Let the players focus on the game.

I like that Max finds inner strength from thinking of the no 11 regularly. I bet many fans do too.

I also don't have an issue with the club acknowledging the anniversary, as you said without going overboard and becoming distracted.  In other words not let it become a "Jimmy tribute game".  That fell very flat 5 years ago.

What i do like is Max acknowledging that he is inspired by the memory of Jimmy every time he pulls on the #11.  Max is such a great character and I am sure it comes right from his heart.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 3

Surely if Brian Stynes' son is of a standard to be drafted we would ask for some kind of special consideration in taking him as an international father son rule where the family has moved to the country because of association to the Melbourne Football Club.

51 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Surely if Brian Stynes' son is of a standard to be drafted we would ask for some kind of special consideration in taking him as an international father son rule where the family has moved to the country because of association to the Melbourne Football Club.

Too obscure to create a rule like this. Think the father/son rule is enough.

Orrrrr.....Brian's son could stand out of footy for a couple if years and he could become a cat B rookie in the vein of Son of Smith.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Too obscure to create a rule like this. Think the father/son rule is enough.

The AFL do whatever suits them and the image of the game. They always change and break their own rules.

As my wife said today as a Hawks supporter but having a soft spot for the Dee's for obvious reasons, she is worried about the hype around MFC this preseason, 3 page articles on big Max, the hype around Petracca, Viney elevated to co-captain, the numerous interviews etc. now we are talking of a Jimmy tribute! As she points out the Saints are travelling nicely under the radar, yet for many experts they are rated to finish above us. Interesting the club hasn't tried to keep a lid on things, but that is balanced by the need to sell the product and the fact we are training at Gosch's near the Pies and most TV stations versus the Saints at Seaford.

I loved Jimmy as a player but his tenure as president is a mixed bag. Yes He reduced the accumulated debt and fixed things financially but that has to be balanced with the football operations decisions he oversaw that plunged us into a 10 year abyss that few clubs have ever experienced. The appointment of Cam Schwab as CEO and Chris Connelly as Footy manager after he had missed the coaching job to a novice in Bails. A recipe for trouble. And that is how it transpired. The way Bails was dispatched from the club after 186 and advice from GLyon vs C Schwab getting the full honours and payout always sticks in my throat. 

I think Jim had too much faith in certain MFC people that they would work tirelessly for the greater good of the club and that they had the ability to make it happen. We have learnt since that they had very limited ability.

Great MFC icon but His legacy is a mixed one lets be honest.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

The AFL do whatever suits them and the image of the game. They always change and break their own rules.

True, but they are highly unlikely to change the rules for a nephew. Reality bites unfortunately. 

If the kid is up to it, hopefully we have the right pick to get him.

Also worth remembering Jimmy has a son Tiernan. Don't know if he plays footy. Anyone have any knowledge? 

Not sure, but I don't think we still have any Board Members or Senior Management that were with MFC when Jim Stynes died.  Most of them probably never met him.  Yet, they see it as significant to honour his memory.  Perhaps they are embedding our history.  Perhaps they feel a need for our team to understand more of our club's history and its heroes. 

After all, there are only 2 coaching staff (Mahoney and Rawlings) and only 8 players who were at MFC in 2012.  While to us Stynes means so much as a player and a tireless champion of our club, 90% of people now at MFC never knew him nor knew much about him.  A very large part of our list were at high school 5 years ago. 

My initial reaction was similar to 'billy2803' and not sure why the club would make the anniversary a special event.  But on reflection, he was a towering figure.  No-one exemplifies the spirit of giving one's all than does Jim Stynes.  So he is a terrific modern-day role model for players and others to remember and aspire to.  Whatever, the reason the club has chosen to honour his memory I am sure it is a good, well thought out reason.

Like others have said, I hope it is low key.  I doubt it will affect the players as only 5 from 2012 will probably play that day.  For them and the coaches it will be business as usual. 

Just win the game, Dees!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

As my wife said today as a Hawks supporter but having a soft spot for the Dee's for obvious reasons, she is worried about the hype around MFC this preseason, 3 page articles on big Max, the hype around Petracca, Viney elevated to co-captain, the numerous interviews etc. now we are talking of a Jimmy tribute! As she points out the Saints are travelling nicely under the radar, yet for many experts they are rated to finish above us. Interesting the club hasn't tried to keep a lid on things, but that is balanced by the need to sell the product and the fact we are training at Gosch's near the Pies and most TV stations versus the Saints at Seaford.

I loved Jimmy as a player but his tenure as president is a mixed bag. Yes He reduced the accumulated debt and fixed things financially but that has to be balanced with the football operations decisions he oversaw that plunged us into a 10 year abyss that few clubs have ever experienced. The appointment of Cam Schwab as CEO and Chris Connelly as Footy manager after he had missed the coaching job to a novice in Bails. A recipe for trouble. And that is how it transpired. The way Bails was dispatched from the club after 186 and advice from GLyon vs C Schwab getting the full honours and payout always sticks in my throat. 

I think Jim had too much faith in certain MFC people that they would work tirelessly for the greater good of the club and that they had the ability to make it happen. We have learnt since that they had very limited ability.

Well written 'Earl'...couldn't agree more.

15 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Not sure, but I don't think we still have any Board Members or Senior Management that were with MFC when Jim Stynes died.  Most of them probably never met him.  Yet, they see it as significant to honour his memory.  Perhaps they are embedding our history.  Perhaps they feel a need for our team to understand more of our club's history and its heroes. 

After all, there are only 2 coaching staff (Mahoney and Rawlings) and only 8 players who were at MFC in 2012.  While to us Stynes means so much as a player and a tireless champion of our club, 90% of people now at MFC never knew him nor knew much about him.  A very large part of our list were at high school 5 years ago. 

My initial reaction was similar to 'billy2803' and not sure why the club would make the anniversary a special event.  But on reflection, he was a towering figure.  No-one exemplifies the spirit of giving one's all than does Jim Stynes.  So he is a terrific modern-day role model for players and others to remember and aspire to.  Whatever, the reason the club has chosen to honour his memory I am sure it is a good, well thought out reason.

Like others have said, I hope it is low key.  I doubt it will affect the players as only 5 from 2012 will probably play that day.  For them and the coaches it will be business as usual. 

Just win the game, Dees!

Maybe this is the point of it. Not so much as a reminder for those who were around and remember but as a form of education for those too young or otherwise not involved with the club five years ago. 

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Earl, I'm just disappointed that you married a Hawthorn supporter.  :)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...Earl is clearly one eyed and must have been looking with his other one.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2017 at 1:23 PM, billy2803 said:

That chapter has closed

Disagree Billy.

Nothing wrong with revisiting the past. Perhaps it will inspire.

Our history is what defines our future.

PS Nice sentiments in your second post. 

Edited by leave it to deever
afterthought

On 3/5/2017 at 6:57 PM, Earl Hood said:

I have said words to that effect about Jimma's administrative legacy.

I am of the opinion that he would have been better utilized as our Don Scott. A rallying figure who stepped up to the plate in our hour of need to keep the wolves from the door. Like Scotty, he would have been better to have ambled off into the sunset after doing so.

I just try to remember him as a player. That legacy in and of itself is enough. 

20 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Earl, I'm just disappointed that you married a Hawthorn supporter.  :)

Moons we have been through tough times especially 87 and 88 but somehow the relationship has survived. 

• Like 1