Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

JLT Round 2 vs. Carlton at Casey Fields

Wiseblood

58 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

The way I heard Goodwin's post game presser Jetta was available, Kent and Tyson will be available for next JLT. Melksham was a bit scratchy first half but I would have put him in our best 5 second half.

given it's his second hitout in 18 months i;d give him a bit of leeway

Just finished watching the replay as I rarely attend pre season games.

On the whole I think we really used the ground to our advantage and stretched the opposition as wide as possible, allowing us to move the ball as we liked.

Our ball movement was really impressive, but equally, the Blues were a shambles. We out worked them and looked hungry at most contests.

Petracca, Oliver, Jones, Lewis, Hogan and even Melksham were stand outs for me. But a great all round team performance. A difficult one to judge though as the Blues are hopeless. Good to beat them though as they are somewhat of a bogey side.

The Gawn/Spencer experiment continues to be intriguing, although I maintain the party line on that one. I'm not sure it'll be used too often in the season proper.

I love that we take risks to move the ball on quickly at all costs. Shifting onto our opposite foot, handballing without touching the ground (ie Gawn), using the width of the ground to keep it moving.

I've got enough out of the pre season comp. Now I'm ready for the season proper.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Melksham was good today, but Jetta is one of the first selected.

Under Goodwin, I'm not so sure. I'd say that he wants a more attacking backline than Roos, and I think that's the one knock on Jetta. He's doesn't hurt the opposition with run and carry, and whilst his disposal is good, it's not damaging.

In the backline, I'd consider the 2 Macs and Hibberd as locks for the talls. Hunt is a lock for half back, and I wouldn't be surprised if Goodwin has Vince, N.Jones and Lewis all rotating through half back. It's also interesting to note that Wagner was selected in the 1st JLT game ahead of Jetta.

Goodwin probably realises that the Macs haven't got much attacking prowess, and he needs to maximise it with the selection of the other 4 defenders. Jetta may not be in Goodwin's plans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

Under Goodwin, I'm not so sure. I'd say that he wants a more attacking backline than Roos, and I think that's the one knock on Jetta. He's doesn't hurt the opposition with run and carry, and whilst his disposal is good, it's not damaging.

In the backline, I'd consider the 2 Macs and Hibberd as locks for the talls. Hunt is a lock for half back, and I wouldn't be surprised if Goodwin has Vince, N.Jones and Lewis all rotating through half back. It's also interesting to note that Wagner was selected in the 1st JLT game ahead of Jetta.

Goodwin probably realises that the Macs haven't got much attacking prowess, and he needs to maximise it with the selection of the other 4 defenders. Jetta may not be in Goodwin's plans.

Jetta wasn't selected for JLT1 due to a quad. 

• Like 4

Just RE: the debate on Jetta. I think what Goodwin and the FD have been building for a few years now is an ethos on versatility. We have multiple options for multiple positions at the moment. Depth is what the very best sides have and it's certainly what the Bulldogs showed they had last year.

Jetta may well be left out Round 1, but he may well play against a team such as Adelaide or Port Adelaide, as he traditionally has the measure of their small forwards.

It'll be a needs based selection process from now on, which given where we've been, is a terrific place to be in.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Wagner got selected coz Jetta had an injury.

Not sure which bit some are not getting, nobody is a lock under Goody.

One game or training session where you don't display team first and the required intensity and you will be out, there will be a replacement ready to go

Jetta Watts Tyson and Kent, plus all the rest who haven't played a game, have a week of training to show Goody they deserve a spot against West Coast ahead of those that played today

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Goodwin probably realises that the Macs haven't got much attacking prowess

We get great drive from both Macs.  Both take chances with attacking kicks and handballs.  Tom especially switches play on an almost constant basis.

You wouldn't know it reading this site though ... the obsessive/compulsive urge to disect and criticise their every move is dismaying.

Get used to having both of them in the backline for a long time to come.

Both played well again today and it's about time credit was given to both players.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I have a feeling Carlton are going to take this game very seriously, come out pumped and give it a real crack. 

They did, but Melbourne were more serious-sir....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Wrong ... we get great drive from both Macs.  Both take chances with attacking kicks and handballs.  Tom especially switches play on an almost constant basis.

You wouldn't know it reading this site though ... the obsessive/compulsive urge to disect and criticise their every move is bordering on the insane.

Both played well again today and it's about time credit was given to both players.

What on earth have you been watching the past 2 weeks? Tom McDonald has been absolutely horrible. If there was a small negative i would take out of the JLT series it would be McDonald. 

It will never happen but if only Frost was fit because id have both him and Oscar (who has been the better defender) as our starting 2 defenders round 1. 

Tom McDonald will cost us some very crucial goals this year.

• Like 2

Another definable element from Goodwin's template is the use of the raking backwards handball off half back if a mid is in trouble. Each player knows exactly where they should be and where their team mates will be. I think it'll do us really well this season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

What on earth have you been watching the past 2 weeks? Tom McDonald has been absolutely horrible. If there was a small negative i would take out of the JLT series it would be McDonald. 

It will never happen but if only Frost was fit because id have both him and Oscar (who has been the better defender) as our starting 2 defenders round 1. 

Tom McDonald will cost us some very crucial goals this year.

I watch our games without the pre-conceived biases that many have.  I judge all players equally.

Your relentless bagging of Tom makes you look like you're obsessed with him.  Along with a few others here of course.  Backmen are going to make mistakes - have you ever played footy?  If so, have you ever played as a key back?

You and others refuse to ever give him any credit which also confirms your bias.  Did you hear what Danny Frawley had to say about his game today?  It was glowing and I'll take his opinion over yours anyday.

Again, he played very well today and if you can't see that I can't help you.  Open your eyes.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Sleeve said:

Had a great day at Casey Fields, great weather , good footy from the Dee's and met a couple of ripping fellow Dee's supporters , great guys to chat footy with, namely 1 Demonland Poster named @Dante ??

If I knew how to tag him I would ??

After watching the game today I have a feeling that Jack Watts is out because of lack of intensity, the pressure we applied was incredible and I doubt that Jack is capable of that sort of tackling pressure. If he is to be part of the team he needs to learn how to tackle and hurt, not just throw out an arm and hope for the best. Non negotiable.

Sleeve, great day at the game and I thought I recognised you, we met at a family day several years ago when Jack Viney was being introduced to the club.

Good to see you again, keep in touch.

• Like 3

We looked fantastic today when we took the game on and moved the ball quickly, and we looked bloody awful when we stuffed around with too many handpasses. Carlton were woeful opposition, and we could have easily won that game by 100 points. Most of their goals came from our errors. Our experienced players - Jones, Lewis, Vince were good. Petracca and Oliver the best of the kids. Most of the rest contributed something at one time or another.

I'm not sold on either Melksham or Hibberd, and hope that they are both made to earn round 1 spots. Viney's kicking is woeful, and we are in real trouble if Weideman is in the round 1 side - he needs to develop some hunger for the contest, because he goes at half pace far too often. Spencer did very little to suggest that he is a viable second ruck option, and I can't see room for him when Max steps up his time in the middle.

25 minutes ago, Macca said:

I watch our games without the pre-conceived biases that many have.  I judge all players equally.

Your relentless bagging of Tom makes you look like you're obsessed with him.  Along with a few others here of course.  Backmen are going to make mistakes - have you ever played footy?  If so, have you ever played as a key back?

You and others refuse to ever give him any credit which also confirms your bias.  Did you hear what Danny Frawley had to say about his game today?  It was glowing and I'll take his opinion over yours anyday.

Again, he played very well today and if you can't see that I can't help you.  Open your eyes.

Yes i have played footy. Running defender too. I rarely made diabolical skill errors like he does every game.

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Yes i have played footy. Running defender too. I rarely made diabolical skill errors like he does every game.

Well I played most of my footy at CHB so I guess that makes me slightly biased :ph34r:

For the record Tom McDonald had 1 clanger and it came when the game was in the bag.  I clanger in a 9 goal victory.  And I lost count of the amount of effective spoils he made.  And that's his main job.

Jones had 5 clangers,  Salem 4 & Viney 3 ... and all 3 players played very well.  Joel Smith had 4 clangers ... Melksham, Vince & Oliver 3 each but again, we're never going to play a perfect brand of footy.

You need to start judging all our players in the same way that you judge Tom McDonald.  You'll make more sense then, dazzle.

• Like 10

50 minutes ago, Macca said:

We get great drive from both Macs.  Both take chances with attacking kicks and handballs.  Tom especially switches play on an almost constant basis.

You wouldn't know it reading this site though ... the obsessive/compulsive urge to disect and criticise their every move is dismaying.

From what I saw of TMac last week he was worst on ground. He will continue to play because of his running, spoiling and marking. His disposal can be atrocious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dee-tox said:

From what I saw of TMac last week he was worst on ground. He will continue to play because of his running, spoiling and marking. His disposal can be atrocious.

Is he the only player on our list who makes the odd error or is it just Tom?  By my reckoning he doesn't make any glaring errors in half the games he plays.

The bias & group-think that goes on here is astonishing at times.  I know at least 8 demon fans who don't post on this site (or anywhere for that matter) and none of them have the McDonald bros in the gun like what goes on here. 

I'm convinced that many are just waiting for the smallest of errors and hey presto, they invade the game-day thread like a army of angry ants.  It works like clockwork. 

• Like 8

Re: TMAC - How can one man be so polarising? His way of disposing looks shaky - he does create clangers (as do all) yet he does take risks. Personally I rate him as a defender on par with Frawely. Solid contributor with flaws and does the one percenters very very very well. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Danelska said:

Re: TMAC - How can one man be so polarising? His way of disposing looks shaky - he does create clangers (as do all) yet he does take risks. Personally I rate him as a defender on par with Frawely. Solid contributor with flaws and does the one percenters very very very well. 

If Tom was an A grade player we'd know it and we'd be talking about it.  What I do know is that he gives his absolute all and is far & away our best tall defender.  I'd give him a B - B+ rating but that's not a slight on him. 

If all our defenders were as good as Tom we'd have the best defence in the league.  If you want Tom to be pure A grade then you're probably going to be disappointed.  Me - I like his style and I rate him as a top-notch defender.  But not perfect.

And his brother is getting better & better.  Those who wrote Oscar off before he was ever given a real opportunity are a bit gun-shy now. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, A F said:

Just RE: the debate on Jetta. I think what Goodwin and the FD have been building for a few years now is an ethos on versatility. We have multiple options for multiple positions at the moment. Depth is what the very best sides have and it's certainly what the Bulldogs showed they had last year.

Jetta may well be left out Round 1, but he may well play against a team such as Adelaide or Port Adelaide, as he has their small forwards on a leash traditionally.

It'll be a needs based selection process from now on, which given where we've been, is a terrific place to be in.

AF, I hope you're right and we're more flexible with selection this year.

As you say, against some sides we'll need Jetta to lock down a dangerous small forward, but against other sides an all-out attacking defence will be an advantage.

Against some sides we'll be better to go with 2 tall & 4 small forwards (e.g. West Coast, to apply more pressure to stop them attacking off the half back line), and against other sides with 3 & 3. Similarly with tall backs.

Against some sides (e.g. Dogs) we could really stretch a defence by giving Gawn a lot of time forward, without losing too much by having Spencil in the ruck. Against other sides (e.g. Hawks), Gawn's ruck dominance gives such a huge advantage that picking Spencer would be a waste.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Macca said:

Well I played most of my footy at CHB so I guess that makes me slightly biased :ph34r:

For the record Tom McDonald had 1 clanger and it came when the game was in the bag.  I clanger in a 9 goal victory.  And I lost count of the amount of effective spoils he made.  And that's his main job.

Jones had 5 clangers,  Salem 4 & Viney 3 ... and all 3 players played very well.  Joel Smith had 4 clangers ... Melksham, Vince & Oliver 3 each but again, we're never going to play a perfect brand of footy.

You need to start judging all our players in the same way that you judge Tom McDonald.  You'll make more sense then, dazzle.

Just on this, I felt Joel Smith struggled today. Did a couple of good things, but generally wasn't up with the pace of the game.

Be interested to see how he goes with a slightly higher tempo at Domain.

• Like 1