america de cali

AFL LIVE PASS OUTRAGE

248 posts in this topic

#: 1   Posted (edited)

The new AFL live pass for 2017 is now officially an effing joke and massive ripoff. Where last season one could watch a match on a full size IPad screen, the AFL and Telstra in their money grubbing wisdom now limit live games to a puny 7 inch screen on tablet devices. Replays can be watched on a full screen size after 12 hours delay. Subscribers to their horror only found this out tonight while watching the Magpies/Bombers game.  Telstra and the AFL did not warn subscribers this was going to happen apparently due to the new broadcast deal. Was slyly added in the fine print under terms and conditions. All we got was good news in the past few weeks about great new features that were coming with the new app. What a disgrace.

Edited by america de cali
11 people like this

Looks like you've been screwed 'cali'....

Not a surprise I guess with the 2 great reputable organisations involved.

Can you cancel?

4 people like this

#: 3   Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, rjay said:

Looks like you've been screwed 'cali'....

Not a surprise I guess with the 2 great reputable organisations involved.

Can you cancel?

Too late. They already got my money on auto renewal 3 days ago. I was able to watch the women's game on a full size screen last week. There is a big stink going on at Big Footy about it.

You are kidding!!

A 7 inch screen

Tight bastards

i was seriously considering joining up tonight, but didn't

now i won't. 

I'd complain heartily.

I'm on the international subscription, where we watch through the watchafl site, but a) the subscriptions through the clubs were only put in place a few days ago and b) the subscription procedure doesn't work.

Someone in the Membership Dept. very kindly hooked me up manually as it were.

Once again, for all things Internet, the AFL are back in the dark ages. You get the feeling they wish it would all just go away.

Wow.

Bastards.

Wouldn't have found out until Saturday as I do not watch Essendon games 

1 person likes this

It's when you start looking at what other countries with their sport that you realise just how far behind Australia is when it comes to utilising the internet for sport. The prices vs the quality, it makes you wonder why you should even bother.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, america de cali said:

The new AFL live pass for 2017 is now officially an effing joke and massive ripoff. Where last season one could watch a match on a full size IPad screen, the AFL and Telstra in their money grubbing wisdom now limit live games to a puny 7 inch screen on tablet devices. Replays can be watched on a full screen size after 12 hours delay. Subscribers to their horror only found this out tonight while watching the Magpies/Bombers game.  Telstra and the AFL did not warn subscribers this was going to happen apparently due to the new broadcast deal. Was slyly added in the fine print under terms and conditions. All we got was good news in the past few weeks about great new features that were coming with the new app. What a disgrace.

Unbelievable. There is also currently an with the afl website on pc recognising live pass subscription. So can't currently watch replays as I did last year.  I read something from Telstra that it should be sorted by start of season. Bollocks. 

Just broke my 7 inch and replaced it with a 10 incch. Largely to watch football

1 person likes this

I generally steal the vision anyway.

Works well for me.

4 people like this

31 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I generally steal the vision anyway.

Works well for me.

That's what happens when they don't provide a reasonable service at a reasonable price. It's just crazy in this day and age that they haven't made every effort to make things more accessible.

Requiring a full Foxtel subscription including heaps of channels you wouldn't use just to get the footy is a joke.

1 person likes this

Always wanting a couple more inches,

Story of my life 😕

8 people like this

2 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Is it free for telstra customers?

Yes it is the same deal as last year

What a farce. Actually quite disgusting to not mention it until everyone has purchased their subscriptions.

Not as bad Optus holding the EPL hostage, forcing people to become Optus customers to watch it, but it's up there.

2 people like this

Does anyone know if screen mirroring from iPhone to AppleTV will still work?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Is it free for telstra customers?

yes

1 person likes this

Eddie on triple M this morning tried to feed this to anyone who was listening....

People were using the ipad to cast the feed to a full size screen. This isn't allowed because Ch7 and Foxtel have the rights to broadcast to full screen media. So they made it smaller to dissuade anyone from trying to mirror their feed.

Just buy a foxtel subscription and get the foxtel app was Eddie's advice....

4 minutes ago, deanowerner said:

Eddie on triple M this morning tried to feed this to anyone who was listening....

People were using the ipad to cast the feed to a full size screen. This isn't allowed because Ch7 and Foxtel have the rights to broadcast to full screen media. So they made it smaller to dissuade anyone from trying to mirror their feed.

Just buy a foxtel subscription and get the foxtel app was Eddie's advice....

I'll just use my spare 100 million dollars to by a new house and a new car as well 

5 people like this

21 minutes ago, hells bells said:

It should. Apple TV will always mirror your iPhone or iPad screen on a connected TV.

I'll try it out on Saturday night using my iPad (I only have a dumb phone)!

32 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Yes and no. The point of the change is that It will go onto the TV but will have big black bars around it

They have disabled the airplay feature so you now can't stream from iPhone/iPad to Apple TV!

Tried on both devices, mirrored my whole screen, but when you click the play button on video in the AFL Live app it says it is not available until you turn off airplay.  Really annoying as it's the only way I can watch a lot of Melbourne games due to work and not having money to burn to pay ludicrous amounts for foxtel!

#: 24   Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Yes and no. The point of the change is that It will go onto the TV but will have big black bars around it

Looking at the tiny broadcast it appeared like they reduced the definition too. Trying to make the image larger if possible will look terrible. 

There is no way I will subscribe to Foxtel thieves to get a better service. I will just use my reading glasses to watch and maybe unsubscribe next season. I can't see the point of dumbing down the channel 7 games also They are free to air and it doesn't matter what device the game is watched on. The ads are still shown.

I've used an iPhone to HDMI cord which worked fairly well last year. Didn't try it last night so not sure about this new problem. May enable a workaround the airplay issue though?

1 person likes this