Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Sophie Casey gets two weeks

deespicable me    445
17 minutes ago, Dees_In_October said:

That's like saying human life expectancy is irrelevant to the punishments given for crimes. A jail sentence is the amount of time the criminal will spend behind bars in relation to the average human lifespan. In footy, there isn't some inherent length of time that makes a penalty just. It's in proportion to a season, or a career.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a dog act or that this kind of play should be encouraged. But I think the penalty given is enough to deter others. It's not like players in the men's game are wiped out for the length of time the player on the receiving end is injured. That's way too arbitrary. And Meg's out for the hamstring as well anyway.

The implication that the MRP are somehow going lightly on the women's competition is one that shouldn't be perpetuated.

But in this case they are going light. Anyhow why should it be in proportion to the length of the season.

Why isn't it in proportion to the crime, as against other crimes.

• Like 2

beelzebub    15,322

Dees in Oct 

You're talking rubbish

It is proportionate to the crime against other crimes. A player in the men's league does a similar hit, they miss 25%ish of their season and endure the wrath of their coach and teammates for making themselves unavailable.

The punishment for the player is not being able to take the field in as many games as they would otherwise have available to them. There aren't any instances in the men's game where a player is penalised by missing an entire season (drug offences aside!).

Anyway, I've ranted enough. A longer season will hopefully solve this in time.

Chris    2,830
13 hours ago, Dees_In_October said:

It is proportionate to the crime against other crimes. A player in the men's league does a similar hit, they miss 25%ish of their season and endure the wrath of their coach and teammates for making themselves unavailable.

The punishment for the player is not being able to take the field in as many games as they would otherwise have available to them. There aren't any instances in the men's game where a player is penalised by missing an entire season (drug offences aside!).

Anyway, I've ranted enough. A longer season will hopefully solve this in time.

That is all well and good but as I pointed out earlier it falls over with the 1 week penalties. Currently the girls are getting a week for the same things the men get a week. That means the girls are penalised about 15% of the season for the same thing a bloke is penalised 5%. Unless we start handing out 1 quarter suspensions then that system simply doesn't work. 

• Like 1