Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What players do you see over the next few years requesting a trade due to not being able to crack the 22?

Bobby Clark

2 hours ago, Bobby Clark said:

Why Salo? I reckon he's in our 22 if he can stay healthy.

2 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Kent and Salem? They are both in my 22 quite safely.

48 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'll bite, Salem if fit is starting 22. His skill is sorely missed when he isn't in the team. Give him a year or two of no illness or injury to build a tank and he could be great (without wanting to put the Sylvia curse on him)

ANB for obvious reasons. 

Kent - inconsistency will cost him if he doesn't put it together more frequently this season.

Salem - let's hope I'm wrong and with the injury and illness he's had it's all that is saving him. Skills are neat but does he have the desire? In his draft year he talked it up that he modelled his game on Luke Hodge. Well, heading into his fourth season, it's time he showed some of those attributes. 

What's important is for the club to excel at trading if we find ourselves in a strong position with regards to trading ... so, if we do have a fringe player or 2 who has real currency, we'd hopefully be in a great position to win-out on any trade. 

Real depth should ultimately make a club stronger.  If we're top-notch at trading, we shouldn't therefore be too concerned about losing players who can't get a regular game (despite those players being decent footballers)

The real concern would be losing a player or 2 who could be classed as being amongst our best players in a team that wins more than it loses ... however, if we're great at trading we can turn a situation like that into a win as well. 

If we start playing finals other clubs will come at our better players.  If they come at the fringe players, make them overpay.

Edited by Macca
Grammar
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, McQueen said:

ANB for obvious reasons. 

Kent - inconsistency will cost him if he doesn't put it together more frequently this season.

Salem - let's hope I'm wrong and with the injury and illness he's had it's all that is saving him. Skills are neat but does he have the desire? In his draft year he talked it up that he modelled his game on Luke Hodge. Well, heading into his fourth season, it's time he showed some of those attributes. 

I felt like later in the year Kent was starting to find a little consistency. He wasnt lighting it up every week but he didnt really have any 'bad' games after the Port in Alice disaster (where everyone was as [censored] as each other).

Salem I understand where you're coming from with the illness. But for now i dont think ive ever questioned his desire. But watching him in the VFL Prelim he looked a class above and if he can bring that type of game to the next level he will be among our best. 

everyone is one bad season away from being under prsssure in a good side or one good season away from being untouchable. 

if i had to guess though I'd say Wagner or Jetta are two guys who might find a few blokes in front of them but I think both are AFL level players 

7 minutes ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

I felt like later in the year Kent was starting to find a little consistency. He wasnt lighting it up every week but he didnt really have any 'bad' games after the Port in Alice disaster (where everyone was as [censored] as each other).

Salem I understand where you're coming from with the illness. But for now i dont think ive ever questioned his desire. But watching him in the VFL Prelim he looked a class above and if he can bring that type of game to the next level he will be among our best. 

kent definitely had a more consistent season than previously. no reason at this point to suspect his consistency won't increase in 2017

Frankly I thinks it's an absolutely valid topic.  In the past we've delisted because people haven't been good enough and nobody else has wanted our "surplus".  That hopefully won't be the case in future years as the list gets stronger.

I hope we get to the stage that we have players that are well and truly good enough to play AFL footy but aren't good enough to get a game with us.

• Like 1

Well, I'll nibble at the bait. There's an interesting conundrum to our list at the moment, with the presence of so many players who can genuinely deserve a place on an AFL field, but who aren't ever going to be the premium types who secure a stable spot.

It's a natural part of being a successful team, to have a certain portion of your players who, with all best wishes from the club, have to move on for better opportunities. Ideally, they then get overrated somewhere else and bring in a handy draft pick.

But I think it is a bit premature, and maybe tasteless, to be deciding who will be 'pushed out' in that gap between regular playing and being delisted. There's an obvious cluster of young players who are competent but not first picked. It'll be interesting, and hopefully exciting, to see how it all plays out.

• Like 5

Power clubs  - think Cats, Dorks and, quite a few years ago, Brisbane, had players in the 22 - 30 best range who would have walked into most other teams.

They mostly managed to keep these players.

This is the type of culture we must develop to become a success.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, binman said:

I'll ask a couple if questiions:

Is the longest thread title ever on dl?

Is it one of the most obtuse thread  titles ever on dl?

Yes...and...yes.

It may be interesting to speculate as to who has a good season and who has a bad one, which really is what this thread is all about.  Speculation. 

Roll back 12 months and I suspect a majority here (and remember most of us had never seen him in action, the boy from BGS who didn't even play TAC and who was "always injured") would have had Jayden Hunt on the outer and now nearly everyone has him securely locked in their top 22, maybe even 15. 

Nev Jetta a few years earlier.  

A lot changes over a season, so I for one won't speculate at this stage. 

'You will need to be pretty good to nail a Half Back spot next season.

Garland will need to extract the digit.

JKH needs runs on the board.

Wagner may explore his options if he can't get a regular game .

3 hours ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Kent has even more competition for the role he plays. Johnstone looks likely to fit straight in, Hannan is a mature ager who will be ready to play from the get-go. Then of course you have JKH, ANB, Trenners all battling for a role in the forward half. He might be a best 22 now but moving forward I believe he's at real risk of sliding to the magoo's and ultimately being trade bait.

And Salem has done little to make me sit up and take notice. I reckon half the people who rate him want to believe the Kelly trade with Tyson and Salem will be our significant win. Well, Kelly is a jet and so far in front of Tyson and Salem it's not funny.

Injuries aside, Salem is well past due to show his wares. Failing to do so will see him a battling bottom six player, floating in and out of Casey.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Kent has even more competition for the role he plays. Johnstone looks likely to fit straight in, Hannan is a mature ager who will be ready to play from the get-go. Then of course you have JKH, ANB, Trenners all battling for a role in the forward half. He might be a best 22 now but moving forward I believe he's at real risk of sliding to the magoo's and ultimately being trade bait.

And Salem has done little to make me sit up and take notice. I reckon half the people who rate him want to believe the Kelly trade with Tyson and Salem will be our significant win. Well, Kelly is a jet and so far in front of Tyson and Salem it's not funny.

Injuries aside, Salem is well past due to show his wares. Failing to do so will see him a battling bottom six player, floating in and out of Casey.

Strange, strange comments. Severely underrating Kent while overrating Johnstone and Hannan. Hannan got in the best players just 2 times in the VFL and kicked just 19 goals. Kent kicked 25 and was ranked 16th (12th if you include players who played more than 10 games) in the league for goal assists per game.

Do you really believe ANB and Trengove are competing for a spot with Kent? There is a thing called team balance and Kent has pace and the ability to break the game open like few others on our list.

Kent developed nicely last season and improved his consistency as the season went on. I'd be staggered if you are on the mark with this one.

Fair call on the second part though.

• Like 4

ANB will stick it right up a few this year .

By that I mean prove the doubters wrong.

• Like 3

Nev jetta will be under more pressure imo with rise of omac jhunt and addition of former bombers

32 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Think you're misunderstand the whole point of the thread.

Those mentioning ANB are not being "doubters", they're actually being quite the opposite.

8 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

Strange, strange comments. Severely underrating Kent while overrating Johnstone and Hannan. Hannan got in the best players just 2 times in the VFL and kicked just 19 goals. Kent kicked 25 and was ranked 16th (12th if you include players who played more than 10 games) in the league for goal assists per game.

Do you really believe ANB and Trengove are competing for a spot with Kent? There is a thing called team balance and Kent has pace and the ability to break the game open like few others on our list.

Kent developed nicely last season and improved his consistency as the season went on. I'd be staggered if you are on the mark with this one.

Fair call on the second part though.

Kents speed is overrated. I don't think he's all that quick at all and has a limited leap and lacks defensive pressure - although there was some improvements in this towards the end of last season. From the vision I've seen of Johnstone, I would not be surprised at all if he becomes a better small forward than Kent. Along with Hannan, a couple of seasons in an AFL environment could yield some surprising results. Remember the thread is asking to 'suppose' a few years in advance, not what the status quo is which is what you have done.

Trenners has a good leap but lacks speed. We're not going to see him in the back line anytime soon. Midfield and resting forward - much what people think will be Kent's next phase in his development. He's shown glimpses but so has ANB like at the Geelong game in 2015.

There will be real competition for this forward line spots in the next couple of years.

41 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I hope for his sake you're right but Im curious who do expect to be kicked out of the side by ANB? Even if he is playing well the way I see it, he wont get past some of them unless they take big steps backwards or he takes unprecedented leaps forward. He is a see ball, get ball type of in and under midfielder. We have them by the truckload.

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Think you're misunderstand the whole point of the thread.

Those mentioning ANB are not being "doubters", they're actually being quite the opposite.

Oh I doubt his ability break into our side for any reason other than injury (or suspension, looking at you Viney we need you every week this year). So that could be the doubt to which he is referring. But I don't doubt his ability to get 25/30 touches at VFL level every week

For the record: I dont want ANB gone I think he is a good VFL player and a C grade AFL player who can play a role 3-5 games a year when someone is out. But I think he will stuggle for opportunity other than that and is a really good fit for a poor side looking for someone to just get in and compete. 

I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves here, we have a promising list but suggesting that it's that good that we can start trading out some of our "just below best players", is really stretching it a bit 

With regard to Salem, he will be a top line player if he can get his "condition" under control, the game toward the end of the year against Geelong proved just how good he will be, he has got it all and to suggest he will be on the trade block is silly. They need to get the thyroid condition to a manageable position and as long as they can he will be a jet.

I wonder how many players who leave because they can't break in to their existing side go on to be true AFL grade players? Sure you get the odd Ted Richards or Josh Kennedy, but there are also a lot of Viv Michie, Ben Newton types who excel in the second tier but can't quite crack it.

I've often referred to those types as "almost good enough". This thread is basically asking who our almost good enoughs are. AFL lists are subject to enough injuries and form that any player actually good enough should get an opportunity.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I wonder how many players who leave because they can't break in to their existing side go on to be true AFL grade players? Sure you get the odd Ted Richards or Josh Kennedy, but there are also a lot of Viv Michie, Ben Newton types who excel in the second tier but can't quite crack it.

I've often referred to those types as "almost good enough". This thread is basically asking who our almost good enoughs are. AFL lists are subject to enough injuries and form that any player actually good enough should get an opportunity.

Tyson? Frost?

Agree with where you're going with the point, but IMO it's more a sign of an improving team that your cutoffs are good quality (Hence the GWS/MFC examples above).