Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2017 Finals Here we come....

Sir Why You Little

Finals?

As a MFC supporter, I am not sure what that actually means.

Can you explain the meaning to me SWYL?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DemonFrog said:

Finals?

As a MFC supporter, I am not sure what that actually means.

Can you explain the meaning to me SWYL?

It's that thing that other teams play on the telly every September, while we prepare for the draft.

Draft time is exciting. Those finals sides don't know what they are missing.

• Like 8

Doggies set a precedent, they proved it was possible. They believed. Im hearing good things about Jordan Lewis setting precedents. Really showing the side where the bar is set and what is expected.

We must believe.

• Like 6

Coming into a season with finals expectations is going to be a whole different thing as a supporter. The losses are going to hurt more and the wins will feel less revolutionary and probably less satisfying. Could be a tough year. Hoping its an enjoyable one! 

• Like 1

Finals are a distinct possibility ... but any optimism, hope or faith needs to have a degree of substance attached.  Previously (like many others I suspect) I've been optimistic on the back of a lot of hope & faith. 

I posted the following points in another thread but the comments do pertain to this thread also ...

We've got about 10 players (Viney,  Hogan,  Jones,  Tyson, Lewis,  Gawn,  Vince,  T-Mac,  Watts & Jetta) who could be classed as being good to excellent but we're going to need much more than that if we're going to play finals and be a realistic contender.  However, a few of those 10 players have a few question marks surrounding them with regards to absolute consistent form, disposal efficiency,  manic desire and age.  They all need to improve actually, even if only marginally.

Also, if we can get at least half of the following players ... Hunt,  Harmes,  Oliver,  Weideman,  Petracca,  Brayshaw,  Oscar,  Frost,  Salem & Stretch stepping it up to a good/very good level in the next year or so, we'll be well on our way.  There are others who might reach that level too.  There's a lot of potential but we need to see some real substance. 

We also need Goodwin to be at least a very good coach. 

With a half decent run with injuries, I'm hopeful that we'll see some action in September.

• Like 7

To make top 4, a team has to be seriously good.  To make the finals, just more than average, or with a bit of luck.

Hawthorn in 2016 made finals based on winning 6 games by less than 10 points.  They scraped into top 4 after beating a miserable Collingwood by a lucky kick in the dying seconds by Jack Fitzpatrick.

North scraped into finals  by winning just 2 more games than they lost. If a Billy Stretch kick had gone to the other side of the goal post, the Saints would have been playing in lieu of North.

Now good teams win the close games, but the margin between making it or not can come down to that luck/fortune factor.

We were in the race for September but for 2 appalling losses against Carlton and Essendon.  We weren't lucky against North, we were against GC the second time. 

Without changing all that much, or improving just that fraction, we should be playing finals in 2017.  We now have the talent and importantly the work ethic to win games.

Like North, Hawthorn and even WB in 2016, winning just a couple of those tight games will get us there. 

Injuries....well that's another story. Particularly if our AA ruckman gets hurt.

• Like 12

30 minutes ago, Macca said:

Finals are a distinct possibility ... but any optimism, hope or faith needs to have a degree of substance attached.  Previously (like many others I suspect) I've been optimistic on the back of a lot of hope & faith. 

I posted the following points in another thread but the comments do pertain to this thread also ...

We've got about 10 players (Viney,  Hogan,  Jones,  Tyson, Lewis,  Gawn,  Vince,  T-Mac,  Watts & Jetta) who could be classed as being good to excellent but we're going to need much more than that if we're going to play finals and be a realistic contender.  However, a few of those 10 players have a few question marks surrounding them with regards to absolute consistent form, disposal efficiency,  manic desire and age.  They all need to improve actually, even if only marginally.

Also, if we can get at least half of the following players ... Hunt,  Harmes,  Oliver,  Weideman,  Petracca,  Brayshaw,  Oscar,  Frost,  Salem & Stretch stepping it up to a good/very good level in the next year or so, we'll be well on our way.  There are others who might reach that level too.  There's a lot of potential but we need to see some real substance. 

With a half decent run with injuries, I'm hopeful that we'll see some action in September.

For mine, this is a balanced assessment Macca. My gut feeling is that our real push for finals success will be in 2018 and 2017 may not be all that we hope for (I'm normally wrong)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Doggies set a precedent, they proved it was possible. They believed. Im hearing good things about Jordan Lewis setting precedents. Really showing the side where the bar is set and what is expected.

We must believe.

What precedent did the dogs set? 

I would of thought the Hawks set the precedent and won 2014/15 after losing Franklin. How would we be if we lost Hogan?

Also for me the comparison to the dogs remind me how mentally weak we are as a side. How many times last year did the club (players) roll out the "we didn't come to play" line? We need to stop being the club that needs to follow another clubs lead and start writing our own history. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Macca said:

Yes I rate Jetta but as previously discussed in other threads it wouldn't surprise me if he's out of the best 22 by years end.

Just now, Return to Glory said:

For mine, this is a balanced assessment Macca. My gut feeling is that our real push for finals success will be in 2018 and 2017 may not be all that we hope for (I'm normally wrong)

We've gone from F level to D/C level in the space of 3 seasons RTG ... the next step could be to get to C/B level or if it all comes together, B/A level.  Or, we could stay where we are. 

I do not want to entertain the thought of taking a step backwards. 

If Goodwin is a top-line coach I expect the team to burst out of the blocks ... but that's just my take on how I view some aspects of coaching.  We don't have a tough draw either - Demons Fixture

As much as the sport has become about 'processes', being highly motivated and having a coach who can really motivate is still a huge factor.  And as has been previously pointed out on this thread, injuries to our high impact players would be a real issue.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Yes I rate Jetta but as previously discussed in other threads it wouldn't surprise me if he's out of the best 22 by years end.

I thought Jetta had a much improved year and finishing 9th in the B & F for a 10 win team is a positive.  He still needs to get better otherwise he may get overtaken.  It's all in Nev's hands much as it is with many of our more experienced players.  He's been coached enough to know what to do and to know what is required. 

More to the point is that we've got a whole host of players who are still learning the game and that's why we need Goodwin to be a top coach.  The sport has become rather complicated but basic fundamentals are still a prerequisite.

• Like 2

I definitely think we're heading in the direction of playing finals but I'm not sure it'll be this year. 

I still think players need 50 - 60 games and a few pre seasons before they really start to come on. Much like Jack Viney last season.

Once the group of Petracca Brayshaw Oliver Weideman Hunt Omac etc hit that 50 - 60 game mark we'll spike pretty quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Coming into a season with finals expectations is going to be a whole different thing as a supporter. The losses are going to hurt more and the wins will feel less revolutionary and probably less satisfying. Could be a tough year. Hoping its an enjoyable one! 

On the bright side, coming into a season with finals expectations might sharpen the players' minds to the job of winning when we're expected to, rather than just coasting along since nobody really gets excited about beating bottom teams.

If the mindset switches to racking up the wins and not caring who the opponent is or how impressed everyone will be when we beat them, that alone will be enough difference to put us in finals in 2017. It would've gotten us there in 2016, dammit!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I would of thought the Hawks set the precedent and won 2014/15 after losing Franklin. How would we be if we lost Hogan?

Also for me the comparison to the dogs remind me how mentally weak we are as a side. How many times last year did the club (players) roll out the "we didn't come to play" line? We need to stop being the club that needs to follow another clubs lead and start writing our own history. 

What i meant was they came from 7th ie nowhere, to conquer the finals, and werent the most talented side around.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

To make top 4, a team has to be seriously good.  To make the finals, just more than average, or with a bit of luck.

4 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I would have thought winning a flag after finishing 7th at the end of the home and away season was a pretty good. And a precedent.

The week off before the finals was a precedent. Very little was made of the fact that both teams that had the week off lost the preliminary final. There is no question that it helped the dogs who had lots of injuries.

• Like 3