Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AGM 2016

Whispering_Jack

4 hours ago, hardtack said:

I think you might find that playing a game or two in China might help to endear them to the local Chinese Australian population. I would expect that rather than play in Beijing or Shanghai however, they would play in Guangzhou where an AFL academy was established at one of the universities and where there is a competition in existence.

Just can't see it making any difference and I'm glad we're not involved for the physical effects its likely to have on the players, even if just looking at the 24 hours of plane travel. The second generation Chinese population is already as interested as any other Australian would be and if we're talking about first generation Chinese then I doubt they'll even notice the game gets played. 

I see no reason for any section of the Chinese population to take even a passing interest in AFL unless directly introduced by an Australian friend.

Agree with you that Guangzhou would provide a better venue, I reckon Hong Kong as wll. I think the stadium they've provided in Shanghai shows how serious the Chinese side is taking the game.

10 hours ago, binman said:

I love the idea of tbe casey demons. Good points kc. Id add casey mught also get some new supporters from the mfc base.

Great to see the red and dark blue back. As a kid i loved the vfa. I followed port but used to like watching dandenong who wore the red and dark blue (i think - my memory is a bit dusty)

I followed Dandy and loved going out to Shepley oval on the odd freezing Sunday arvo. There was always a bit of friendly banter between the fans and the players. On one occasion, a fan called out to one of the Dandy players " why don't you run faster Shinners ? " to which he replied, " Why don't you go and ' F... yourself ? " Great days !!!!!

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Pates said:

Thanks everyone for the run downs of the evening, it's nice to be entering the AGM with hope and positive feelings. 

Fantastic that PJ has re-signed for another year, I do wonder if he has some kind of exit strategy in place where when he feels it's appropriate he will look at a replacement or grooming a replacement. For now I'm just really happy he's still with us. 

The Casey announcement was a surprise but one I've felt needed to happen. Prior to PJ and Roosy it felt like we were only half in it with Casey, like they were almost a burden we needed to put up with. The links have since grown a lot stronger and them being rebranded the Casey Demons will hopefully mean more Dees fans feel a tighter connection to them. 

I don't feel that getting our own stand alone VFL is necessary to our success so for the near future this is the next best thing

The AGM sounds like it was a positive bookend to an improved year all round. 

Completely agree with bolded section, but  I don't agree that it is just "the next best thing". How would our own standalone VFL club be any different. We largely bankroll Casey, appoint the coaches, have exactly the same number of VFL listed players as Collingwood or Geelong etc. They will now play in our jumper and be called the Demons. Justin Plapp has created a genuine bond between the AFL list and the VFL list and we've recruited two of their players for 2017, showing that there is a genuine pathway through this affiliation.

It is our club!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, xarronn said:

Completely agree with bolded section, but  I don't agree that it is just "the next best thing". How would our own standalone VFL club be any different. We largely bankroll Casey, appoint the coaches, have exactly the same number of VFL listed players as Collingwood or Geelong etc. They will now play in our jumper and be called the Demons. Justin Plapp has created a genuine bond between the AFL list and the VFL list and we've recruited two of their players for 2017, showing that there is a genuine pathway through this affiliation.

It is our club!

Agree absolutely- we employ the coach ~ Plapp is on our payroll - and our development coaches are heavily involved on match day.It sounds like a similar structure to the Box Hill Hawks - which is effectively a subsidiary of the Hawthorn FC 

The Casey name gives a community flavour - at the entrance to Gippsland. The team will wear our Jumper - and the cry will be "Go Dees"

Sounds like it's getting very close to the ideal mix

Really positive long term development .Well done PJ , again !

• Like 5

I was thinking that maybe the last thing that would make the alignment better is if there were another "home" ground that Casey play 2 - 3 games a year closer to the city.

With curtain raisers coming back in vogue I think in 2018 we should be aiming to get at least 1 Casey game at the MCG which would be a stepping stone to maybe 2 - 3 curtain raisers in 2019.

I know there are a number of people on here who make journey to Casey fields, credit to you, I went once in 2011, after a 1.5 hour journey then walked from the train station which didn't have a footpath on the main road to get to the ground, to watch an average game in the rain that had arctic temperatures, never again. 

While it will never happen I'd love it if the alignment was with Port Melbourne, has the name it in already, has the team colours, has the team song, has a ground in the inner suburbs with viable public transport.

13 minutes ago, boydie said:

I was thinking that maybe the last thing that would make the alignment better is if there were another "home" ground that Casey play 2 - 3 games a year closer to the city.

With curtain raisers coming back in vogue I think in 2018 we should be aiming to get at least 1 Casey game at the MCG which would be a stepping stone to maybe 2 - 3 curtain raisers in 2019.

I know there are a number of people on here who make journey to Casey fields, credit to you, I went once in 2011, after a 1.5 hour journey then walked from the train station which didn't have a footpath on the main road to get to the ground, to watch an average game in the rain that had arctic temperatures, never again. 

While it will never happen I'd love it if the alignment was with Port Melbourne, has the name it in already, has the team colours, has the team song, has a ground in the inner suburbs with viable public transport.

Mate if you feel like going again let me know? If you don't feel like getting the bus from the train station which goes as far as the Aquatic Centre, you can scoot the rest of the way or scoot the whole way on one my spares as long as you can keep up with me ??? Been to the Artic circle, not as cold as Antartica where the wind at Casey in winter comes from

46 minutes ago, boydie said:

Eventually they will be known as The Reserves.

Port Melbourne and Melbourne football clubs are unlikely to ever share resources as you say.

Port is a very proud group of waterfront thugs ,criminals,drunks,thieves and drug runners who don't need decent folk coming in and ruining the culture.

• Like 3

On 12/15/2016 at 7:10 PM, Whispering_Jack said:

PJ - Casey Scorpions to become Casey Demons in 2017 and wear the Melbourne jumper.

I've never agreed with this Casey affiliation. By going that far south the club is turning it's back on 45 % of it's supporter base that wont travel there. Also letting collingwood occupy the centre of Melbourne, where we should be, is a huge tactical error. Surely Port Melbourne is our natural sphere of influence. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, camillo said:

I've never agreed with this Casey affiliation. By going that far south the club is turning it's back on 45 % of it's supporter base that wont travel there. Also letting collingwood occupy the centre of Melbourne, where we should be, is a huge tactical error. Surely Port Melbourne is our natural sphere of influence. 

The only substantial downside is letting Collingwood have so much presence near the "G", our spiritual home for a century and a half (Melbourne Cricket Club Football Club). Not sold on Port Melbourne but would be wrapped if we could have ended sharing with the Tigers, we let them play "home games" on our ground, and they let our Demon Reserves and Women's Team play (and establish a social club) at the Punt Road Oval (so we could have combined training sessions)!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CBDees said:

The only substantial downside is letting Collingwood have so much presence near the "G", our spiritual home for a century and a half (Melbourne Cricket Club Football Club). Not sold on Port Melbourne but would be wrapped if we could have ended sharing with the Tigers, we let them play "home games" on our ground, and they let our Demon Reserves and Women's Team play (and establish a social club) at the Punt Road Oval (so we could have combined training sessions)!

The MFC could never have a Social Club on Richmond's turf...That is just not on

• Like 2

I suppose it all depends where you live . I love them being at Casey only because it is close to home but i agree the wind can be bloody shocking and it would have been smart to take the Glasshouse before Collingwood as we ARE Melbourne but i am not going to moan about being at Casey , only 20 min away and a potential huge supporter base plus i have been going in to the city for 40 years to see the team. its good every now & then to have them conveniently close to home :)   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The MFC could never have a Social Club on Richmond's turf...That is just not on

Punt Road Oval falls within the boundaries of City of Melbourne and is controlled by the Council. It shares a 3002 postcode with the MCG so technically it is our turf that they are occupying. I would fully support the Richmond Tigers moving to Kevin Bartlett Reserve, which is named after one of their favourite sons and shares postcode 3121 with Richmond.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CBDees said:

Punt Road Oval falls within the boundaries of City of Melbourne and is controlled by the Council. It shares a 3002 postcode with the MCG so technically it is our turf that they are occupying. I would fully support the Richmond Tigers moving to Kevin Bartlett Reserve, which is named after one of their favourite sons and shares postcode 3121 with Richmond.

It's Richmond Turf..My Grandad was born in Kelso St across the road

They Hate us..We could never share a social club with Struggle Town

You may know the local Geography but you do not know the history....

On 16/12/2016 at 7:31 PM, Jesus Hoganshaw said:

Just can't see it making any difference and I'm glad we're not involved for the physical effects its likely to have on the players, even if just looking at the 24 hours of plane travel. The second generation Chinese population is already as interested as any other Australian would be and if we're talking about first generation Chinese then I doubt they'll even notice the game gets played. 

I see no reason for any section of the Chinese population to take even a passing interest in AFL unless directly introduced by an Australian friend.

Agree with you that Guangzhou would provide a better venue, I reckon Hong Kong as wll. I think the stadium they've provided in Shanghai shows how serious the Chinese side is taking the game.

Seeing that we already give away two home games a year that are fairly energy sapping, do we really need another expedition to other parts - especially as far away as China to soften the team up a little more.

I liked the way Simon presents himself in front of the mic, his not a big statement coach like MN. More of a down to earth making jokes like Danaher.

He will be fun to watch at the after the game conferences.

On 12/17/2016 at 11:54 AM, old demon me!!! said:

I suppose it all depends where you live . I love them being at Casey only because it is close to home but i agree the wind can be bloody shocking and it would have been smart to take the Glasshouse before Collingwood as we ARE Melbourne but i am not going to moan about being at Casey , only 20 min away and a potential huge supporter base plus i have been going in to the city for 40 years to see the team. its good every now & then to have them conveniently close to home :)   

Yes it does depend on where you live, a lot of us live in the northern and western suburbs and also a lot of us live in Geelong and Ballarat. I'll never go to Casey because I live in Geelong, it's half way to Gippsland for goodness sake. 

• Like 1

On 15/12/2016 at 6:01 PM, Bigred said:

Now THAT is a good signing

Well done. Fantastic 

He has 'nailed his reputation to our mast'

He would not stick around if he didn't think we were going to get there 

Well done everyone at the Club.

I just want to know when PJ is pulling on the boots and running out with the team - I recon he'd go alright.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

10 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Meanwhile, over at Ninethmond, Dustin Martin gets life membership along with Alex Rance.

Edit: no, Dusty doesn't get to keep Rance

What have they done to deserve such punishment?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, camillo said:

Yes it does depend on where you live, a lot of us live in the northern and western suburbs and also a lot of us live in Geelong and Ballarat. I'll never go to Casey because I live in Geelong, it's half way to Gippsland for goodness sake. 

Well then i suppose it comes down to how much you want to see them, i have traveled to the other side of the city many times it is just what you have to do sometimes.

I have gone to Bendigo before to watch a praccy match , just make a day of it but hey there is always foxtel.

Oh a lot of us live in the east , south and southeast as well , each to their own