Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2017 Clash Guernsey

SaberFang

2017 Clash Guernsey  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 hours ago, old dee said:

Are you sure the club is against a white jumper RBG?

Pretty sure it is old dee.  'The Club' being it's members, well you get a pretty good indication from the results of the Demonland survey which shows the vast majority hate it, a result which in my mind is validated by the views of other members/supporters outside of Demonland that I know personally.  Would be interesting for the club to do a survey of members on this issue.

I think the clubs administration is well aware of this.  When you look at the merchandise in the Demon shop, there is virtually no items that feature a predominance of white, other than the abomination of a clash jumper proposed for 2017.  Similarly the same propotion of our printed material from the club features our red v on blue jumper, or red and blue. In corporate gobildegook, I think this reflects that even our marketing people know our brand is red and blue for which our heart beats true.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

8 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Pretty sure it is old dee.  'The Club' being it's members, well you get a pretty good indication from the results of the Demonland survey which shows the vast majority hate it, a result which in my mind is validated by the views of other members/supporters outside of Demonland that I know personally.  Would be interesting for the club to do a survey of members on this issue.

I think the clubs administration is well aware of this.  When you look at the merchandise in the Demon shop, there is virtually no items that feature a predominance of white, other than the abomination of a clash jumper proposed for 2017.  Similarly the same propotion of our printed material from the club features our red v on blue jumper, or red and blue. In corporate gobildegook, I think this reflects that even our marketing people know our brand is red and blue for which our heart beats true.

do you buy the home jumper every year?
The demonland population whilst a strong supporter base does not reveal a majority of the members, and whilst a majority of demonland supporters are vehemently against it, it is a small sample of actual supporters.

The new jumper design allows us to have a much clearer association with Melbourne as a name, rather than football club, which personally I think will lead to an increase in jumper sales due to tourism industry. Not only that but we are trying to increase our brand to take over the city of Melbourne and whilst if you follow AFL the colours make sense, but if you do not follow football and you were shown several jumpers there would be no association to the name of the team and thus the logo on the front is a clear association.

I personally am not against it, although I think it is a lazy design, it is hardly the abomination that people make it out to be. Sure a white jumper has no linkings to our past, this is fine, but the clash jumper is something that will continue to exist and whilst the AFL continues to suggest that there are clashes and we need to avoid them, then why not embrace something which can increase our influence in the Melbourne area but also help increase club profits.

27 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Sorry RBG I am not convinced.

33 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

The demonland population whilst a strong supporter base does not reveal a majority of the members, and whilst a majority of demonland supporters are vehemently against it, it is a small sample of actual supporters.

The new jumper design allows us to have a much clearer association with Melbourne as a name, rather than football club, which personally I think will lead to an increase in jumper sales due to tourism industry. Not only that but we are trying to increase our brand to take over the city of Melbourne and whilst if you follow AFL the colours make sense, but if you do not follow football and you were shown several jumpers there would be no association to the name of the team and thus the logo on the front is a clear association.

I personally am not against it, although I think it is a lazy design, it is hardly the abomination that people make it out to be. Sure a white jumper has no linkings to our past, this is fine, but the clash jumper is something that will continue to exist and whilst the AFL continues to suggest that there are clashes and we need to avoid them, then why not embrace something which can increase our influence in the Melbourne area but also help increase club profits.

I'm not against what the club is trying to do with the new logo and the whole marketing campaign to broaden the appeal of the club. Quite to the contrary. However we shouldn't sell out on our core identity to go chasing a few cheap tourist $.

The new logo looks great on the all red polos the club has on sale and I think many tourists and members alike (including myself) are more likely to purchase a classy looking item like that, than the tacky looking clash jumper.  Further the AFL has clearly accepted that the all white is not required for some and just need to accept that red can provide a sufficient colour contrast for the MFC as other non white colors such as yellow for the WCE.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

.The new logo looks great on the all red polos the club has on sale and I think many tourists and members alike are more likely to purchase a classy looking item like that, than the tacky looking clash jumper.  Further the AFL has clearly accepted that the all white is not required for some and just need to accept that red can provide a sufficient colour contrast for the MFC as other non white colors such as yellow for the WCE.

Fair point, the problem with this, is if the AFL continues to see us to clash with Gold Coast and all red clash jumper will not work.

I understand the big charge for red and blue jumper only, but if we only wear an away jumper for 4-5 games and an indigenous jumper in one round, its not that big of a deal, to me personally at least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

I would think most members over 30 never buy a jumper, home or away styles. They probably do buy casual clothes though

there is more opportunity to sell "brand" using casual clothing (shirts, t-shirts, jackets, etc) than footy jumpers

ever see someone except going to the footy or a kid, walking around in a game jumper? If you want to sell "brand" then do it on something that can be seen anywhere and at anytime.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

Fair point, the problem with this, is if the AFL continues to see us to clash with Gold Coast and all red clash jumper will not work.

I understand the big charge for red and blue jumper only, but if we only wear an away jumper for 4-5 games and an indigenous jumper in one round, its not that big of a deal, to me personally at least.

explain to me where the clash is (especially when you add dark shorts to mfc)

Gold-Coast-Home-2015.gifMelbourne-2015.gif

• Like 8

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

I would think most members over 30 never buy a jumper, home or away styles. They probably do buy casual clothes though

there is more opportunity to sell "brand" using casual clothing (shirts, t-shirts, jackets, etc) than footy jumpers

ever see someone except going to the footy or a kid, walking around in a game jumper? If you want to sell "brand" then do it on something that can be seen anywhere and at anytime.

and id suggest that the largest portion of supporters against the away jumper would be this age bracket too. I feel the people that are interested in buying the jumpers have less of a problem with the all white jumper, that being said i cant speak for everyone as I said its purely something that doesnt really bother me in the slightest.

They will combine both and appeal to all markets and it makes sense, im not disagreeing that they should be applying it on casual clothing aswell, im just suggesting more so that the people who are so against it, do not really affect the sales of the jumpers anyway and it would not therefore really affect the clubs mentality unless it saw a massive decrease in memberships, which would be pretty ridiculous and petty.

I agree, the clash is slight, but i think its going off if you are in a pack and only see top half of jumper? i dont know, im not really invested in it to be fair and i do not decide who the afl judges we clash with, but i am fairly certain one of them is GC

17 hours ago, dino rover said:

It is the Club's strong preference to wear our home Guernsey all of the time however the AFL require all clubs to have a clash strip for when we play teams with similar colours to our own.  The reasons for this are quality of broadcast - ease of the viewer to tell the teams apart when watching on television and, the integrity of the competition in terms of players being able to easily tell the opposition players apart from team mates in a contest.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
Problems with quoting - unable to add my own text

For technical reasons I couldn't add my own text to the above quote. What I wanted to say is that if the election of Donald Trump has taught us anything, we shouldn't just believe something to be true because it is said often enough. (There was a similar experience in Europe in the early 1930s, too). Is there actual, confirmed, real, factual evidence which supports the AFL's claim regarding (1) viewer confusion and (2) player difficulties? 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

For technical reasons I couldn't add my own text to the above quote. What I wanted to say is that if the election of Donald Trump has taught us anything, we shouldn't just believe something to be true because it is said often enough. (There was a similar experience in Europe in the early 1930s, too). Is there actual, confirmed, real, factual evidence which supports the AFL's claim regarding (1) viewer confusion and (2) player difficulties? 

The arguements put up by the Commission are a joke. But they don't care. 

There is no clash with GC and MFC jumpers. It's bullshlt. Pure and Simple

I'm not bothered by the white. It's the hideous graphic design. Few logos would look good when blown up to that size. We get it. The club has a new logo. No need to ram it down people's throats.

Whoever said it looks like a cheap basketball knock off you might see on the streets of Thailand was spot on.  It needs to be binned at the earliest opportunity.

Interesting to note that jumper design has become a board level issue at the Tigers:

The colour of Richmond's jumper has become a board election issue, with aspirants Simon Wallace and Peter Casey promising to get the guernsey right.

The Tigers have also been working behind the scenes for at least six months to make sure their new apparel range would be a true reflection of their 'yellow and black' tradition.

"Our jumper is who we are … yellow and black are not just our colours, they are the best line in the best (club) song," Wallace wrote in his campaign prospectus.

"It should be yellow and black, not the charcoal and mustard that it now is."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-01/charcoal-and-mustard-to-yellow-and-black-tigers-hope-for-new-jumper

Bring back the jumpers made with pure Australian wool.

Prinary colours- ,with collar.

This acrylic /polyester stuff will never be worn be a man of tAste and refinement.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Interesting to note that jumper design has become a board level issue at the Tigers:

The colour of Richmond's jumper has become a board election issue, with aspirants Simon Wallace and Peter Casey promising to get the guernsey right.

The Tigers have also been working behind the scenes for at least six months to make sure their new apparel range would be a true reflection of their 'yellow and black' tradition.

"Our jumper is who we are … yellow and black are not just our colours, they are the best line in the best (club) song," Wallace wrote in his campaign prospectus.

"It should be yellow and black, not the charcoal and mustard that it now is."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-01/charcoal-and-mustard-to-yellow-and-black-tigers-hope-for-new-jumper

I call this Schwabermetrics. 

The analysis of unimportant minutiae instead of focusing on core business. 

Hawthorn wear trash jumpers. Clash, away, even their traditional home strip that seems to change every year with different coloured numbers or stripe patterns. 

They win football games because they invest in people and facilities. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

1 hour ago, demonoid said:

Gotta say. After seeing the clash jumpers on the boys today at training it doesn't look that bad. I do mean the white one. I don't hate it. There I've said it

Totally agree with this. However, there was one reason that they looked good.... The blue shorts. We must tell the AFL that we are wearing blue shorts. It makes white bearable 

• Like 1

Just now, Leoncelli_36 said:

Totally agree with this. However, there was one reason that they looked good.... The blue shorts. We must tell the AFL that we are wearing blue shorts. It makes white bearable 

good point, i've been saying that for years. the nrl allow that

On 20/11/2016 at 10:13 AM, beelzebub said:

Im still not sure who we actually clash with ?

2cypt8n.jpgWas OK back in B&W TV days - even North v Collingwood in a mud heap at Vic Park.  But then, Vlad and GTD weren't involved at that time

The fifth one in the second row.  No others. 

On 21/11/2016 at 4:54 PM, special robert said:

What clash? I do not see any clash. In 55 years I have never seen a Melbourne player kick the ball to a (for eg. ) Carlton player because he mistook the colours......or Essendon...or  Richmond.....what was wrong with black (home) and white (away) shorts...nothing.

The only time I can remember was one of those nights we wore those awful pink jumpers v Footscray at the G, and some genius at AFL HQ decided that the maggots should wear pink too.  In a very close finish one of our guys passed to the maggot - cost us the game.  

OMG the guys at AFL HQ are just so out of touch with reality. 

On 21/11/2016 at 5:01 PM, special robert said:

You are right Pates.........A tv/Broadcast issue....so who can't work out which team is which? 

On 22/11/2016 at 9:08 AM, Choke said:

Might have been an issue at the beginning of 2016 when Channel 7 didn't broadcast the footy in HD (for some mind boggling reason).

But they miraculously flipped the switch half way through the year. I really don't see TV viewers' confusion as a valid reason any more.

Was OK back in B&W TV days - even North v Collingwood in a mud heap at Vic Park.  But then, Vlad and GTD weren't involved at that time

On 22/11/2016 at 6:46 PM, Is Dom Is Good said:

I would think the large majority would hate that white guernsey.

I understand that we need a white guernsey as per the rules and it's fine I can live with that. What I can't live with is some absolutely disgraceful effort to design a clash guernsey. It is honestly laughable and whoever approved it should have a hard look at themselves.

But you miss one point - the rules are not enforced even handedly. 

On 25/11/2016 at 10:28 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

We can only hope they listen

our Colours are Red and Blue. 

I don't want to have to ask someone "Is that us on TV" it is trully offensive and shows me in spades that the AFLare losing touch with the game, Big Time. 

Attendances are dropping in comparison to the countries population. The AFL want to be careful. 

Do not alienate the support base

I have taken to watching a bit of soccer over the summer. As a neophyte I don't recognize the players, and I sometimes have no idea which team is which, unless a rare event such as a goal is scored and the scoreboard changes.  

I don't want that sort of thing to happen in AFL. 

On 28/11/2016 at 7:59 AM, Vagg said:

But, presumably, it does keep the AFL happy, as it DOES have white on it!  (Not very much, but some...!  LOL)

I am happy to have some white - the player numbers. Otherwise, red and blue. 

On 30/11/2016 at 6:03 AM, Mad_Melbourne said:

How does our predominantly dark blue clash with predominantly red?  Really?  Are those dills at AFL HQ really that stupid?  Sad for the future of the game if they really think that. 

• Like 3

Almost spat the crackers !!

Alas....a clash jumper thats NOT white. Who'd da thunk :rolleyes:

Have fo check some hard drives but reckon the idea for trad front and redback might be a few years old lol:unsure:

Still....good to see ;)

Go you RED and BLUES !!!

• Like 5