Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2017 Clash Guernsey

SaberFang

2017 Clash Guernsey  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Deestroy All said:

Horrible. Thought the logo would grow on me, it hasn't. Looks even more [censored] on that jumper. Melbourne Acorns or Bellends it is. 

I really like the logo but hate the jumper, it looks like a cheap Bali fake.

Essendon wear a red alternative which they call their "heritage" therefore there is now no need for Melbourne to wear a white clash jumper based on this precedent.

Can we put forward a competition like what Freo and Port did for someone to come up with a design and the fans vote? This is really average and boring, I can't even say I'm much of a fan of our logo so seeing it blown up to that scale isn't great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

I think we should do what Collingwood does and just ignore the requirement.  "Our clash jumper is Blue body with a red triangle on a white background.  What, you can't see the white?  That's a shame!"

Collingwood's white jumper is genuinely a clash, it looks very different to their black one.

All clash jumpers should be an inverse or similar.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jesus Hoganshaw said:

I emailed the club to tell them it's horrific and they're better off keeping this year's. They replied with a copy-paste response saying white clash guernseys are necessary and there are ongoing discussions about them with the AFL. Actually annoyed me more than if they didn't respond at all. Just condescending.

1 minute ago, Swooper Northey said:

I notice that the Demon Shop link is now inactive. 
Regardless I've written to the club this evening outlining my displeasure with the new uniform. I said that t
he club only needs to look at social media posts and club forums to gauge instant feedback.  I've pointed them to Demonland's poll whereby nearly 80 per cent of respondents claim to 'hate it'.

Jesse, good on you for emailing the club, that's a positive start.  The MFC are always going to tow the company line Re the white in any initial response rather than risking the AFL hauling them over the coals for publicly opposing them, particularly when the initial response is probably coming from some low ranking person in the organisation like a membership admin officer etc.  However the more emails and public protests they receive from their members, it will give them better grounds for going to the AFL.

Like Swooper and yourself, I will also be writing to the club tomorrow.  If I can find a suitable contact for the AFL I will also be including them in the communication.

I am sick of sitting passively by on this issue.  Gill McLachlan has put himself out there as the CEO of the fans, then it's time for him to deliver on this.  If he can get cheap chips and meat pies, buy stadiums and borrow our marketing guru, then he can fix our clash jumper (least we even need one).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Swooper Northey said:

I notice that the Demon Shop link is now inactive. 
Regardless I've written to the club this evening outlining my displeasure with the new uniform. I said that t
he club only needs to look at social media posts and club forums to gauge instant feedback.  I've pointed them to Demonland's poll whereby nearly 80 per cent of respondents claim to 'hate it'.

Is there a generic email address you can point me to? Would like to email them some feedback as well, this clash geurnsey is just horrific.

And the Demon Shop link is still active to me? https://thedemonshop.shopdesq.com/summer-2017/2017-clash-guernsey-pre-sale-1

The bugger on this is that I believe we have to have it for a minimum of two seasons. Seriously next time lets set up a design competition that's voted by the fans, fan engagement isn't that one of the new buzzwords?

This one reminds me of my homework back at school, I'd forget about doing it and just quickly whip something up and hope it would pass. I swear it feels like they forgot to design one so just slapped our logo on a white background and said, "done!"

• Like 1

It would be better if it was a darker grey or dark silver. White or light-grey is terrible. I think a dark grey not only looks nicer, but mixes better with red and blue and maintains them as the main 2 colours. If you put a white or lighter grey in, then all three colours just turn it into a 3 coloured guernsey like the Dogs or Saints. I'd rather we choose all red and a little blue than have white in our uniform.

58081-melbourne-demons-mens-down-vest-20

This grey, but maybe slightly lighter for the benefit of the light-clash strip.

In all fairness to our graphic designer, our logo is awesome and i can see where they're coming from with this clash strip: Get that logo in the forefront and have our team build a brand with good football, so that logo becomes iconic. Perhaps why they chose to go with the full logo on the front and don't care too much about the background and the lines dividing the colours.

I think the designers want that logo to be the first thing an oppposition player sees when they look up to see who's bumped them.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

2 minutes ago, DominatrixTyson said:

It would be better if it was a darker grey or dark silver. White or light-grey is terrible. I think a dark grey not only looks nicer, but mixes better with red and blue and maintains them as the main 2 colours. If you put a white or lighter grey in, then all three colours just turn it into a 3 coloured guernsey like the Dogs or Saints. I'd rather we choose all red and a little blue than have white in our uniform.

http://shop.afl.com.au/products/58081-melbourne-demons-mens-down-vest-2000.jpg This grey, but maybe slightly lighter for the benefit of the light-clash strip.

In all fairness to our graphic designer, our logo is awesome and i can see where they're coming from with this clash strip: Get that logo in the forefront and have our team build a brand with good football, so that logo becomes iconic. Perhaps why they chose to go with the full logo on the front and don't care too much about the background and the lines dividing the colours.

I hope this isn't the sort of grey you're talking about.

https://proxy.bigfooty.com/forum/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-Vgw5vwmzUk8%2FTolMED3b-hI%2FAAAAAAAAAC4%2FBcOG8LOtd1c%2Fs1600%2FIMG_3066.JPG&hash=7e56d1181165f487dacd28ab8ed243d5

I've written to the AFL about the inconsistent clash jumper policy because it's one of my biggest gripes in the current game. After repeated emails to a generic address I eventually got a response from Tessie McManus who is the Match Day Operations Manager at the AFL. Her email address is: [email protected]u

I'd encourage you to make your thoughts known because even though I appreciated the fact that she responded, she couldn't really provide a sufficient answer to my many queries.

These included:

1.) Why did we have to wear a white clash jumper against Port when Adelaide wore it's predominately navy jumper in its away match against the Power?

2.) Why were Carlton and Essendon both permitted to wear their traditional uniforms when they met, yet we had to wear white in our away match against both clubs?

3.) Why did we have to wear hooped socks against Gold Coast at Metricon, yet in the return match at the MCG the Suns made no change to their uniform?

4.) Why is Brisbane allowed to wear its Fitzroy themed red, blue and yellow jumper against us, with predominantly red socks?

These are just a handful of examples that I can draw upon which points to the confusion and inconsistency surrounding this issue. There are many more that I could point to.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Pates said:

Somewhere in between that and the darker grey. Haha. That's pretty bad. Worse than white.

Edited by DominatrixTyson

14 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Is there a generic email address you can point me to? Would like to email them some feedback as well, this clash geurnsey is just horrific.

And the Demon Shop link is still active to me? https://thedemonshop.shopdesq.com/summer-2017/2017-clash-guernsey-pre-sale-1

Yep - go for [email protected]. I'm worried though that the inbox will be manned by a work experience kid. Perhaps it needs to go to Jennifer Watt or even PJ?

I have spent years emailing the club in this issue and countless hours emailing them my designs, like the one I put up earlier. Cam Schwabb took one of the jumpers I designed ando posted here and made it a reality but didn't add the right width of blue outline around the red V. I really dunno why they don't get people to submit designs, make a shortlist and then vote. I have suggested this too.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Swooper Northey said:

I've written to the AFL about the inconsistent clash jumper policy because it's one of my biggest gripes in the current game. After repeated emails to a generic address I eventually got a response from Tessie McManus who is the Match Day Operations Manager at the AFL. Her email address is: [email protected]u

I'd encourage you to make your thoughts known because even though I appreciated the fact that she responded, she couldn't really provide a sufficient answer to my many queries.

These included:

1.) Why did we have to wear a white clash jumper against Port when Adelaide wore it's predominately navy jumper in its away match against the Power?

2.) Why were Carlton and Essendon both permitted to wear their traditional uniforms when they met, yet we had to wear white in our away match against both clubs?

3.) Why did we have to wear hooped socks against Gold Coast at Metricon, yet in the return match at the MCG the Suns made no change to their uniform?

4.) Why is Brisbane allowed to wear its Fitzroy themed red, blue and yellow jumper against us, with predominantly red socks?

These are just a handful of examples that I can draw upon which points to the confusion and inconsistency surrounding this issue. There are many more that I could point to.

I reckon you could ask why Sydney (red) played GWS (orange) and that too was OK. Two colours that couldn't be closer  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DominatrixTyson said:

http://shop.afl.com.au/products/58081-melbourne-demons-mens-down-vest-2000.jpg This grey, but maybe slightly lighter for the benefit of the light-clash strip.

Why does it need to be grey or white at all.  The purpose is to create sufficient contrast with the other teams jumper and if you are skeptical, another variation to market to fans (which going on the overwhelming disaproval of it is unlikely any would be sold).

In the interests of being reasonable and pragmatic, I'd be prepared to accept Melbourne's 80s retro royal blue version, which I think should sufficiently achieve the clash objective satisfactorily if a predominantly red with blue jumper was insufficient.  Have fond memories wearing a long sleave retro MFC jumper with my favorite number 2 on the back as a kid!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Jesse, good on you for emailing the club, that's a positive start.  The MFC are always going to tow the company line Re the white in any initial response rather than risking the AFL hauling them over the coals for publicly opposing them, particularly when the initial response is probably coming from some low ranking person in the organisation like a membership admin officer etc.  However the more emails and public protests they receive from their members, it will give them better grounds for going to the AFL.

Like Swooper and yourself, I will also be writing to the club tomorrow.  If I can find a suitable contact for the AFL I will also be including them in the communication.

I am sick of sitting passively by on this issue.  Gill McLachlan has put himself out there as the CEO of the fans, then it's time for him to deliver on this.  If he can get cheap chips and meat pies, buy stadiums and borrow our marketing guru, then he can fix our clash jumper (least we even need one).

These included:

• Like 2

Of recent years this has probably been the best of the bunch for clash guersneys.

Melbourne-PClash-2011.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, biggestred said:

here are some alternatives i have saved over the years from places like here and big footy.

no reason we couldnt be in any of these - or even have 3 (blue/red/white)

i feel sick

this has actually turned me off the AFL in a big way

ffs

158 years and we have to wear THAT next year? jfc

Dees red.gifdees 3.png280663_e61cddc82f85d40073386168f431b2b8.pngnn3nwQx.png

Perfect ?? was that so hard! And just think someone actually got paid to design the new one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, biggestred said:

here are some alternatives i have saved over the years from places like here and big footy.

no reason we couldnt be in any of these - or even have 3 (blue/red/white)

i feel sick

this has actually turned me off the AFL in a big way

ffs

158 years and we have to wear THAT next year? jfc

Dees red.gifdees 3.png280663_e61cddc82f85d40073386168f431b2b8.pngnn3nwQx.png

The red shorts do go well with the NT sponsorship logo on the one on the bottom.  Perhaps we could get them to make the request to the AFL?  $ talk to the AFL.

5 minutes ago, Pates said:

Of recent years this has probably been the best of the bunch for clash guersneys.

Melbourne-PClash-2011.gif

Agreed.  I personally think it would have looked even better if the white was replaced with pale blue.  (Yeah, I know.  I'm on my own with that opinion...)

Some of you might get a kick out of the AFL's response to my queries about clash uniforms following our win over Gold Coast at the G last year. The answers to my note are in red and come from Tess McManus, the AFL's Match Day Operations Manager. Whilst I appreciated the response, try and make sense or see logic in these answers if you can...

Sent: Monday, 1 August 2016 9:12 PM
To: AFL General Queries
Subject: Query for the AFL - clash uniforms

To Whom It May Concern,

as a long-time follower of the VFL/AFL competition I was hoping that someone at league headquarters could help explain how it determines which uniforms teams wear each week?

In days gone by, the rule of white shorts for the away team was a very simple concept to understand, but the current situation with clash uniforms has never really been explained to the football public because there doesn’t appear to be any hard and fast rules in place. I can’t see a logical pattern in how decisions are made and would appreciate the AFL’s insight into how the system works.

There appear to be clear examples of inconsistent uniform policy every weekend which causes confusion and often frustration amongst supporters and followers of the game.
The basic policy is to have one “dark” team and one “light” team where possible.

I am a Melbourne supporter, so for the sake of this correspondence, I will use my club as an example. I am sure however that supporters of other clubs could raise similar queries.

Melbourne v Gold Coast last Sunday was an interesting case study. Earlier in the year when these two teams played at Metricon Stadium, the Demons were not allowed to wear their traditional red socks. They instead wore a different set of red and blue hooped socks, to reduce the risk of clashing with the Suns. The above is not entirely correct. The Melbourne FC were allocated “clash” socks and as they did not request to wear their home socks, we did not change the initial allocation. That was understood and considered a reasonable outcome. However on Sunday when Melbourne hosted Gold Coast at the MCG, the Suns as the away team made no change to its uniform – i.e. both sides played the game wearing red sockssee above. Given the AFL’s desire to stamp out clashing uniforms, I’d love to know why this was the case, particularly when Gold Coast has a white clash uniform with blue socks which it rarely seems to wear.

The same issue also seems to play out when Melbourne hosts the Brisbane Lions at the MCG. In recent seasons, the Lions have worn their Fitzroy-style red, blue and yellow jumper with predominately red socks against Melbourne (a red and blue team which also has red socks). Why does this repeatedly happen, when Brisbane has multiple uniforms to choose from, yet the AFL puts them in the combination that clashes most? The colours of red are completely different (the Lions almost orange) and therefore we don’t believe it is an issue and neither club has ever raised it as a concern

Curiously, the Demons (red and blue) and Port Adelaide (black, white and teal) are deemed to clash by the AFL and are forced to wear alternate jumpers when they meet – correct, both considered “dark” uniforms, yet Collingwood and Carlton, both clubs with dark jumpers (both with dark backs with white numbers) don’t change their uniforms when they play one another, even though Collingwood has at its disposal a predominately white uniform for its use which more closely resembles its original jumper. We believe the Guernsey’s have enough of a distinction due to the amount of white in Collingwood’s Guernsey’s however on occasions the combination of shorts can cause confusion. We are working with both clubs to ensure we prevent this moving forward.

When Melbourne (predominately navy blue) played the Bulldogs (predominately royal blue), both clubs were allowed to wear their original jumpers, which looked fantastic. Yet when Adelaide (predominately navy blue) played the Bulldogs (predominately royal blue), the Crows were forced to wear their yellow strip – this was a request of the Adelaide Crows. Again, it is hard to see the logic in this, particularly when Adelaide and Essendon (both dark colours with red in their guernseys) wore their traditional jumpers at the Adelaide Oval last night. I would love to understand how these decisions are reached. This is something we are working on with Essendon – I agree, it definitely wasn’t the best distinction.

These are just a handful of examples that I can draw upon which points to the confusion and inconsistency surrounding this issue. There are many more that I could point to. Out of respect for a loyal supporter of our game, I would greatly appreciate  some insight into how these decisions are made.

Edited by Swooper Northey

5 minutes ago, Swooper Northey said:

Some of you might get a kick out of the AFL's response to my queries about clash uniforms following our win over Gold Coast at the G last year. The answers to my note are in red and come from Tess McManus, the AFL's Match Day Operations Manager. Whilst I appreciated the response, make sense of the answers if you can...

To Whom It May Concern,

as a long-time follower of the VFL/AFL competition I was hoping that someone at league headquarters could help explain how it determines which uniforms teams wear each week?

In days gone by, the rule of white shorts for the away team was a very simple concept to understand, but the current situation with clash uniforms has never really been explained to the football public because there doesn’t appear to be any hard and fast rules in place. I can’t see a logical pattern in how decisions are made and would appreciate the AFL’s insight into how the system works.

There appear to be clear examples of inconsistent uniform policy every weekend which causes confusion and often frustration amongst supporters and followers of the game.
The basic policy is to have one “dark” team and one “light” team where possible.

I am a Melbourne supporter, so for the sake of this correspondence, I will use my club as an example. I am sure however that supporters of other clubs could raise similar queries.

Melbourne v Gold Coast last Sunday was an interesting case study. Earlier in the year when these two teams played at Metricon Stadium, the Demons were not allowed to wear their traditional red socks. They instead wore a different set of red and blue hooped socks, to reduce the risk of clashing with the Suns. The above is not entirely correct. The Melbourne FC were allocated “clash” socks and as they did not request to wear their home socks, we did not change the initial allocation. That was understood and considered a reasonable outcome. However on Sunday when Melbourne hosted Gold Coast at the MCG, the Suns as the away team made no change to its uniform – i.e. both sides played the game wearing red sockssee above. Given the AFL’s desire to stamp out clashing uniforms, I’d love to know why this was the case, particularly when Gold Coast has a white clash uniform with blue socks which it rarely seems to wear.

The same issue also seems to play out when Melbourne hosts the Brisbane Lions at the MCG. In recent seasons, the Lions have worn their Fitzroy-style red, blue and yellow jumper with predominately red socks against Melbourne (a red and blue team which also has red socks). Why does this repeatedly happen, when Brisbane has multiple uniforms to choose from, yet the AFL puts them in the combination that clashes most? The colours of red are completely different (the Lions almost orange) and therefore we don’t believe it is an issue and neither club has ever raised it as a concern

Curiously, the Demons (red and blue) and Port Adelaide (black, white and teal) are deemed to clash by the AFL and are forced to wear alternate jumpers when they meet – correct, both considered “dark” uniforms, yet Collingwood and Carlton, both clubs with dark jumpers (both with dark backs with white numbers) don’t change their uniforms when they play one another, even though Collingwood has at its disposal a predominately white uniform for its use which more closely resembles its original jumper. We believe the Guernsey’s have enough of a distinction due to the amount of white in Collingwood’s Guernsey’s however on occasions the combination of shorts can cause confusion. We are working with both clubs to ensure we prevent this moving forward.

When Melbourne (predominately navy blue) played the Bulldogs (predominately royal blue), both clubs were allowed to wear their original jumpers, which looked fantastic. Yet when Adelaide (predominately navy blue) played the Bulldogs (predominately royal blue), the Crows were forced to wear their yellow strip – this was a request of the Adelaide Crows. Again, it is hard to see the logic in this, particularly when Adelaide and Essendon (both dark colours with red in their guernseys) wore their traditional jumpers at the Adelaide Oval last night. I would love to understand how these decisions are reached. This is something we are working on with Essendon – I agree, it definitely wasn’t the best distinction.

These are just a handful of examples that I can draw upon which points to the confusion and inconsistency surrounding this issue. There are many more that I could point to. Out of respect for a loyal supporter of our game, I would greatly appreciate  some insight into how these decisions are made.

What I gained from the responses is that it's a much bigger concern for the fans than it is the clubs. Perhaps they survey the players and ask them if they prefer playing in something that is more distinctive rather than playing in the traditional colours.

For me the issue of when it happens isn't such a big deal, occasionally they are a couple that I raise my eyebrows to, probably the biggest being St Kilda where at times our clash guernsey has been more of a clash than the home. The bulldogs would probably be the other as I genuinely cannot see a clash, Bulldogs are light and we are dark, doesn't that fulfil the clash policy?

That is another issue, the main issue I have is us putting out such an uninspired design.

11 minutes ago, Swooper Northey said:

Some of you might get a kick out of the AFL's response to my queries about clash uniforms following our win over Gold Coast at the G last year. The answers to my note are in red and come from Tess McManus, the AFL's Match Day Operations Manager. Whilst I appreciated the response, try and make sense or see logic in these answers if you can...

To Whom It May Concern,

I summarized the above as:

If the club has the balls to tell the AFL to stick it and wear what ever jumper the club wants to wear, then the AFL rolls over.

On that basis, the MFC needs to grow a pair on this issue and defy the AFL's general guidance and wear it's supporters preferred guernsey.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

I know I'm getting old, but reading this thread is giving me flashbacks to this time 12 months ago, and the year before. and ........................

Next year.

• Like 1