Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Day at the Races

Toorak

2 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

I had a quick look at Ararat on the Tote.......Dan Zephyr was 39. Great odds!

The horse has trained well and connections think he's a good chance.

Best fixed I have seen so far is $13. They thought the horse might be longer odds than that.

The aim is to be on pace again and hoping the horse gets an easy run across from the wide barrier.

He will get back to me tomorrow lunchtime with the final thoughts and I will post an update. 

Hope you all had a good final day of the Flemington carnival. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Might be worth a look ... and we've got Sandown next week and then Ascot and all the other upcoming group races.  I usually have a small wager most weeks (feature races only) I find the fields for the WFA & Group races easier to interpret.  Doing the form for just 1 or 2 races takes a lot less time too. 

Haven't been to Sandown for yonks but I vaguely remember winning a bit on a horse called Baryshnikov one time ... it might have won on Derby day 2 weeks earlier too.  But the memory isn't as flash as it once was :ph34r:

Anyway,  here's a list of all the group races for the rest of the season going into next year ... Australian Group Races (after entering the website you can click on any of the listed group races for information about that particular race and it's past winners & placegetters)

Wow cheers, thanks for that.....ill have a look. I do vaguely remember Baryshnikov, was a while ago tho. I like to keep going for a while after the carnival also. Ill def be watching for anymore 2000m races Tosen is in. He brained em again! Saved my carnival!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

The horse has trained well and connections think he's a good chance.

Best fixed I have seen so far is $13. They thought the horse might be longer odds than that.

The aim is to be on pace again and hoping the horse gets an easy run across from the wide barrier.

He will get back to me tomorrow lunchtime with the final thoughts and I will post an update. 

Hope you all had a good final day of the Flemington carnival. 

Cheers D77. Yes get back with the final update. Gotta love a bit of inside mail, although connections can be a wee bit too positive sometimes......but you always allow for that. Will follow regardless.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Cheers D77. Yes get back with the final update. Gotta love a bit of inside mail, although connections can be a wee bit too positive sometimes......but you always allow for that. Will follow regardless.

My thoughts exactly. Connections most of the time think their horses have a decent chance of winning a race. 

Rhys McLeod rode a horrible race last start and they are a bit worried about him being on board again.

I have followed the horse from day 1 as I sold out of him when he was a 3 year old. It's more of an interest for me these days.

Pat Carey has given the horse every chance of winning by his training for this race, it's just comes down to the horse being good enough tomorrow. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demon77 said:

My thoughts exactly. Connections most of the time think their horses have a decent chance of winning a race. 

Rhys McLeod rode a horrible race last start and they are a bit worried about him being on board again.

I have followed the horse from day 1 as I sold out of him when he was a 3 year old. It's more of an interest for me these days.

Pat Carey has given the horse every chance of winning by his training for this race, it's just comes down to the horse being good enough tomorrow. 

Yeah, spot on. I had a horse once. It was ok, but couldnt win. Then one day midweek at Casterton he led all the way and saluted by a neck at 48/1. Many beers in StKilda that night! But its ok, i know what a hard road it is. I also know how much effort small time trainers put in, sometimes even borrowing petrol money to get to a track. Long way from the glamour of Flemington in the spring.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Final word.

Horse has travelled well, looking to get a sit one out one back.

There's a possibility the pace won't be on early so he could end up leading if he can't get a sit behind the leaders.

They are there to win today, hopefully the horse fires. 

Hope that helps, this is not a certain tip by any means.

I would be a tad upset if he got up and I didn't have a dollar on it, it would be nice if some fellow demonlanders were on it if it gets up.

Good luck all.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

Final word.

Horse has travelled well, looking to get a sit one out one back.

There's a possibility the pace won't be on early so he could end up leading if he can't get a sit behind the leaders.

They are there to win today, hopefully the horse fires. 

Hope that helps, this is not a certain tip by any means.

I would be a tad upset if he got up and I didn't have a dollar on it, it would be nice if some fellow demonlanders were on it if it gets up.

Good luck all.

I hear ya D77! I might put him in a quinella with the Weir horse, who is fav. Hes into 10s today, and 3s for the place so e/w value there. Your right if he gets up and your not on it it hurts more! Good luck. Watching from home on Racing.com (fabulous service).

• Like 1

It was home!!....then that horse came from the clouds.....bad luck. A horse that had been away from the track for 2 years because of injury, chooses your race to make a comeback. Had a bit on for the place so very happy with that. Thanks D77. Let me know when its running again! :)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

It was home!!....then that horse came from the clouds.....bad luck. A horse that had been away from the track for 2 years because of injury, chooses your race to make a comeback. Had a bit on for the place so very happy with that. Thanks D77. Let me know when its running again! :)

Thought it was home also, had my friend on the phone and he said the same thing.

Beaten by a horse that's been out since January 2015 and the only horse to make ground from the back all day.

That's racing though!

Will definitely keep you posted on future runs, my friend also part owns a stablemate called El Magnificence which has shown some promise with a 4th and win in his only two starts. Currently spelling but when it returns it could be one to keep an eye out on.

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Demon77 said:

Thought it was home also, had my friend on the phone and he said the same thing.

Beaten by a horse that's been out since January 2015 and the only horse to make ground from the back all day.

That's racing though!

Will definitely keep you posted on future runs, my friend also part owns a stablemate called El Magnificence which has shown some promise with a 4th and win in his only two starts. Currently spelling but when it returns it could be one to keep an eye out on.

It was so home. They were lining up in the que to collect! Your mate would be [censored] at that one. Jockey rode well i thought? I think ive heard of El Magnificence. Yes definitely keep me posted. We have the Ballarat Cup here in a few weeks. Ill post if i hear anything......

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

It was so home. They were lining up in the que to collect! Your mate would be [censored] at that one. Jockey rode well i thought? I think ive heard of El Magnificence. Yes definitely keep me posted. We have the Ballarat Cup here in a few weeks. Ill post if i hear anything......

Looking forward to it.

Yes, McLeod rode much better today, my mate is still in a bit of shock after losing to that horse.

The eventual winner trialled and finished 9.8 lengths 5th of 5 last month at Echuca.

Lol, you just have to love racing!

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 2

Thought the fields tomorrow looked pretty good. Some interesting races. Race 5 is a good one. I like Lucky Hussler who won his only start here, mixes it up a bit, pulled up sore last time so maybe he wasnt right. Also like Hellova Street. Ill be following Weir again and he has some good runners going around. Almandin should get the biccies here with Ollie back on board and Lloyd loves this race. Robert Hickmont (ex demon player) last gasp for the stables b4 he goes out on his own.

What do you guys think?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Thought the fields tomorrow looked pretty good. Some interesting races. Race 5 is a good one. I like Lucky Hussler who won his only start here, mixes it up a bit, pulled up sore last time so maybe he wasnt right. Also like Hellova Street. Ill be following Weir again and he has some good runners going around. Almandin should get the biccies here with Ollie back on board and Lloyd loves this race. Robert Hickmont (ex demon player) last gasp for the stables b4 he goes out on his own.

What do you guys think?

G'day Wadda ...

I'll have a go at the two group 2 races at Sandown tomorrow (races 7 & 8)

In the Zipping Classic (race 7) I like 'The Taj Mahal' from Big Duke & Almandin ... 'So Si Bon' may run on as it was only 3.8 lengths behind Tosen Stardum last start.

And in the Guineas (race 8) I'll give 'Snitzepeg' another chance ... Beau Geste & Black Sails should be in the finish as well.  'I'll Have a Bit' could run on if anyone is contemplating a first 4 bet. 

Went 2 from 2 (winners) on Emirates Stakes day but just missed the first 4 in both races.  I'll back both horses (The Taj Mahal & Snitzepeg) each-way tomorrow.  The running double last week paid $33 but always remember,  I'm often the world's worst tipster!  Its buyer beware. 

There are a few Group races at Ascot tomorrow as well but I haven't perused the form there yet.  Those 2 races at Sandown might do me. 

Good punting to all!

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Macca said:

G'day Wadda ...

I'll have a go at the two group 2 races at Sandown tomorrow (races 7 & 8)

In the Zipping Classic (race 7) I like 'The Taj Mahal' from Big Duke & Almandin ... 'So Si Bon' may run on as it was only 3.8 lengths behind Tosen Stardum last start.

And in the Guineas (race 8) I'll give 'Snitzepeg' another chance ... Beau Geste & Black Sails should be in the finish as well.  'I'll Have a Bit' could run on if anyone is contemplating a first 4 bet. 

Went 2 from 2 (winners) on Emirates Stakes day but just missed the first 4 in both races.  I'll back both horses (The Taj Mahal & Snitzepeg) each-way tomorrow.  The running double last week paid $33 but always remember,  I'm often the world's worst tipster!  Its buyer beware. 

There are a few Group races at Ascot tomorrow as well but I haven't perused the form there yet.  Those 2 races at Sandown might do me. 

Good punting to all!

Gday Macca..

The Guineas often throws up the outsider as the winner, because a lot of those horses are at the end of their tether by this race. A good field leg in a quaddie. I like Taj Mahal too. Ran very well last time. I think you have the trifecta there at least! The running doubles and quinellas pay ok. Pools should still be good. Good luck with those FFs.

There is one more horse i like called Burning Front, DK Weir. As one well known sporting identity put it today, its had 37 placings from 53 starts.......its not a racehorse, thats what you call an ATM.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Gday Macca..

The Guineas often throws up the outsider as the winner, because a lot of those horses are at the end of their tether by this race. A good field leg in a quaddie. I like Taj Mahal too. Ran very well last time. I think you have the trifecta there at least! The running doubles and quinellas pay ok. Pools should still be good. Good luck with those FFs.

There is one more horse i like called Burning Front, DK Weir. As one well known sporting identity put it today, its had 37 placings from 53 starts.......its not a racehorse, thats what you call an ATM.

Very good point ... the lightly raced horses may come to the fore then.  After having another gander I still like Snitzepeg but Icon of Dubai,   Octabello and the Weir horse (Peaceful State) may feature.  Villermont also has claims.

As you stated,  it's a good field leg in the quaddie if none of the top 3 salute.  What's that saying ... 'The more you know, the more confusing it all gets!'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Very good point ... the lightly raced horses may come to the fore then.  After having another gander I still like Snitzepeg but Icon of Dubai,   Octabello and the Weir horse (Peaceful State) may feature.  Villermont also has claims.

As you stated,  it's a good field leg in the quaddie if none of the top 3 salute.  What's that saying ... 'The more you know, the more confusing it all gets!'

Yes well thats about the size of it. Its a lot harder than it looks this race. Peaceful State is an interesting runner. 2 runs for a win and a 3rd. Could be anything. I note DK Weir runs his horses up hill on his 1400m training track at home. Sandown straight is uphill. If i join the dots.....

I think its, "The more you know, the more you realize you dont know".....feels that way anyway!

One particular form of punting that i like is the old Parlay or All up. I know you understand it, but i will explain for anyone who doesn't.

You can go win and/or place and/or quinella or any combination of these.....you can skip races, and select more than 1 runner. Today for instance im looking at Crystal Dreamer and Burning Front in the early races into Almandin and Petition later on. The best thing about punting this way is that you use THEIR money and not yours. In other words if you have 3 legs, you only outlay once, on the first leg. That then rolls over into the next leg, but the winnings are from the TAB not your pocket. Thus you bet with TAB allotted outlay on all the subsequent runners. If you lose, you only lose your initial investment. If you win after 3 or 4 legs, you win many times your initial outlay as you know.

Thats my take on it anyway. Good punting you guys.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yes well thats about the size of it. Its a lot harder than it looks this race. Peaceful State is an interesting runner. 2 runs for a win and a 3rd. Could be anything. I note DK Weir runs his horses up hill on his 1400m training track at home. Sandown straight is uphill. If i join the dots.....

I think its, "The more you know, the more you realize you dont know".....feels that way anyway!

One particular form of punting that i like is the old Parlay or All up. I know you understand it, but i will explain for anyone who doesn't.

You can go win and/or place and/or quinella or any combination of these.....you can skip races, and select more than 1 runner. Today for instance im looking at Crystal Dreamer and Burning Front in the early races into Almandin and Petition later on. The best thing about punting this way is that you use THEIR money and not yours. In other words if you have 3 legs, you only outlay once, on the first leg. That then rolls over into the next leg, but the winnings are from the TAB not your pocket. Thus you bet with TAB allotted outlay on all the subsequent runners. If you lose, you only lose your initial investment. If you win after 3 or 4 legs, you win many times your initial outlay as you know.

Thats my take on it anyway. Good punting you guys.

Yep ... bet small to win big.  It's the safest and most interesting way to bet.  I bet that way with NBA,  NHL,  MLB, soccer & the NFL (often in a combo)  Never outlaying more than an expendable amount.  I've got a couple of mates who's maximum bet is only ever $3. 

It's terrific fun putting it all together too ...

• I'm always on the lookout to bet against 'road' teams in the NBA or NHL (who are also playing back-to-back games)
  • West Coast NFL teams playing early Sunday games in the East often struggle. 
  • Historical head-to-head results in soccer based on home or away is worth noting.
  • Dominant pitchers on home field in baseball is another good heads-up 
  • Risking a higher line in any of the above circumstances is often a lower risk. 

With the horses,  I've had better luck when I just concentrate on 2 races (3 races max)  And those races are often the better Group races on tracks where the good horses can more often than not get a decent run. 

I sometimes do a 4, 5, or 6 leg parlay but often it's each way or place only.  Crystal dreamer was also suggested to me along with Rock 'N' Gold in the same race.  And Burning Front looks a real chance as you've indicated. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Macca said:

Yep ... bet small to win big.  It's the safest and most interesting way to bet.  I bet that way with NBA,  NHL,  MLB, soccer & the NFL (often in a combo)  Never outlaying more than an expendable amount.  I've got a couple of mates who's maximum bet is only ever $3. 

It's terrific fun putting it all together too ...

• I'm always on the lookout to bet against 'road' teams in the NBA or NHL (who are also playing back-to-back games)
  • West Coast NFL teams playing early Sunday games in the East often struggle. 
  • Historical head-to-head results in soccer based on home or away is worth noting.
  • Dominant pitchers on home field in baseball is another good heads-up 
  • Risking a higher line in any of the above circumstances is often a lower risk. 

With the horses,  I've had better luck when I just concentrate on 2 races (3 races max)  And those races are often the better Group races on tracks where the good horses can more often than not get a decent run. 

I sometimes do a 4, 5, or 6 leg parlay but often it's each way or place only.  Crystal dreamer was also suggested to me along with Rock 'N' Gold in the same race.  And Burning Front looks a real chance as you've indicated. 

Right...well, i think Macca, you and i need our own punting thread!! haha. I was going to start one on Demonland for punting on the Dees, but i wasnt sure if it was in the spirit of the site......

Im know little of the American sports but im ok with the soccer. You always get odds because of the draw leg. I threw the kitchen sink at Honduras because they beat Mexico and i thought the way the aussies had been playing......well. Anyway, we qualified so it was a win after all.

Thats some really interesting things you pointed out there. I follow Green Bay, but im still learning the rules of the game. I will have to pay more attention.I

I aslo agree with you about the amount of legs. I rarely take more than 3. I have a mate who religiously takes 20 leg multis on American Basketball..and he went hard on the outlays...and yep he eventually got one after about 2 years of trying and won around 20000k.

Ive taken Burning Front into Crystal Dreamer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Right...well, i think Macca, you and i need our own punting thread!! haha. I was going to start one on Demonland for punting on the Dees, but i wasnt sure if it was in the spirit of the site......

Im know little of the American sports but im ok with the soccer. You always get odds because of the draw leg. I threw the kitchen sink at Honduras because they beat Mexico and i thought the way the aussies had been playing......well. Anyway, we qualified so it was a win after all.

Thats some really interesting things you pointed out there. I follow Green Bay, but im still learning the rules of the game. I will have to pay more attention.I

I aslo agree with you about the amount of legs. I rarely take more than 3. I have a mate who religiously takes 20 leg multis on American Basketball..and he went hard on the outlays...and yep he eventually got one after about 2 years of trying and won around 20000k.

Ive taken Burning Front into Crystal Dreamer.

Well I'm a Green Bay fan as well but I'm right into it.  There's a number of us on the NFL thread and we even run a tipping comp!  The sport is a real slow-burn though and definitely an acquired taste.  It's a stop-start game but every play is a potential highlight.  There are ways to watch the sport without all the breaks (the fast-forward button on your remote or if you can afford it, the league pass allows one to watch a whole game in about 45 minutes)

And you're right, it's probably best to leave all things punting* to this thread.  And that was an excellent win just then by 'Fanatic'.  Running up that straight twice takes some doing.

*Always gamble responsibly

• Like 1

Ah ... the old Sandown races.

Do they still run the Sandown Cup?

I remember some of the cup horses used to run in it so as to pay their expenses etc.

I hear that the old place may be sold for housing. Perhaps they could extend the place across the road. (The crematorium).

Many years ago in a job I had, the people at the Springvale cemetery asked for my advice on how to make the cemetery more family friendly. They were thinking of bike rides etc to increase the cafe patronage. Even offered me a tour out the back which I politely declined.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Well I'm a Green Bay fan as well but I'm right into it.  There's a number of us on the NFL thread and we even run a tipping comp!  The sport is a real slow-burn though and definitely an acquired taste.  It's a stop-start game but every play is a potential highlight.  There are ways to watch the sport without all the breaks (the fast-forward button on your remote or if you can afford it, the league pass allows one to watch a whole game in about 45 minutes)

And you're right, it's probably best to leave all things punting* to this thread.  And that was an excellent win just then by 'Fanatic'.  Running up that straight twice takes some doing.

*Always gamble responsibly

Ok well GB had an away win last week and back at home this week. The kid qbck is obviously learning the ropes. Rodgers looks like he may play again this season. Ill come over to the NFL thread.

I like Hellova Street here.....(yes i have been to Prague)! haha

Lot of rain heading toward Sandown on the radar.....soft 5 atm.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Macca said:

Hope you got that one in the end!

18 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Hope you got that one in the end!

I broke even on the day Wadda but would have won a lot if Snitzepeg had have won or even if it placed.  The horse (Snitzepeg) got knocked rotten at the turn (after being well placed)  The race was a willing affair but these things happen. 

It's on to Ascot next week for me ... a Group 1 & a Group 2 race are on the card and I'll stick to my plan of just focusing on 2 races. 

How did you go?  Or are you still in the running?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

I broke even on the day Wadda but would have won a lot if Snitzepeg had have won or even if it placed.  The horse (Snitzepeg) got knocked rotten at the turn (after being well placed)  The race was a willing affair but these things happen. 

It's on to Ascot next week for me ... a Group 1 & a Group 2 race are on the card and I'll stick to my plan of just focusing on 2 races. 

How did you go?  Or are you still in the running?

That 9th race was a terrific finish....Oliver from the back of the field ..early......Ive only got 1 all up left Macca....Hellova Street into Crystal Dreamer..into ....Petition in the last. So come on Petition...a place will do.

Ok so Ascot next week huh.......i dont usually follow the overseas races, but let me know what you like......i might have a look. What time is it on??

• Like 1