Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Day at the Races

Toorak

Thanks Macca, i must have totally missed that. Randwick i guess? What was the race distance and do we know if there is going to be another start by Ace prior to the Caulfield Cup?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Thanks Macca, i must have totally missed that. Randwick i guess? What was the race distance and do we know if there is going to be another start by Ace prior to the Caulfield Cup?

The Hill Stakes was run over 1800m and Ace High could run in the Caulfield Stakes over 2000m a week before the Caulfield Cup.  But who knows?  The Caulfield Stakes is worth $1Million so it might be a starter.  Good field but it's early doors.  I reckon a number of decent horses will run in the race and not the Turnbull thus avoiding a clash with Winx.  The Turnbull is worth $500k.

Ace High is showing 15-1 in the Caulfield Stakes & 8-1 in the Caulfield Cup.  Winx wouldn't be starting in the Caulfield Stakes as it's in the Turnbull this week.  Of the WFA distance classics,  it's one of least recognisable.  Was called the Yalumba Stakes for a time. 

Australian Group & Listed Races

Best Bet Strike Rate

32: 9 - 5 - 6

image.thumb.png.8e5416e1aea9f47840823b5b156aee79.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Macca said:

The Hill Stakes was run over 1800m and Ace High could run in the Caulfield Stakes over 2000m a week before the Caulfield Cup.  But who knows?  The Caulfield Stakes is worth $1Million so it might be a starter.  Good field but it's early doors.  I reckon a number of decent horses will run in the race and not the Turnbull thus avoiding a clash with Winx.  The Turnbull is worth $500k.

Ace High is showing 15-1 in the Caulfield Stakes & 8-1 in the Caulfield Cup.  Winx wouldn't be starting in the Caulfield Stakes as it's in the Turnbull this week.  Of the WFA distance classics,  it's one of least recognisable.  Was called the Yalumba Stakes for a time. 

Australian Group & Listed Races

Best Bet Strike Rate

32: 9 - 5 - 6

image.thumb.png.8e5416e1aea9f47840823b5b156aee79.png

Thanks for that. Yes i remember the Yalumba. I feel like he needs 1 more run. I got 12/1 Ace odds boost for Caulfield Cup yesterday. Keep me posted if he pops up in a race somewhere. Cheers.

• Like 2

Had a funny weekend on the punt. I find this weekend a bit frustrating as the GF interrupts one of Sydney's premier Spring days (bit disappointing in terms of quality this year i thought) and i don't like having only one good meet on the Friday night, Sat and Sunday.

It was made more frustrating by the fact the newsagents in my area were closed Friday so couldn't but the Winning Post and whilst is use the net to support my form process (mainly on odds and extra information like last 10 races etc) old habits die hard so i need a paper form - the winning post to be precise.

Also am renovating atm so had little time to do the form. So my selecting was scratchy to say the least. Punters Lament seemed to be running at each meeting!

On Friday didn't get a winner and only the $50 money back offer from Sportsbet  (x2) saved me and my mate blushes. A couple of close sends but only ever back win.

Sat was poor with two placings getting us some money back via the $50 money back offer. Egg tart was a bit one paced. Should have read this thread for my form! Good get on Santa Anna Lane Macca, an underrated horse who i never seem to be able to snag. Shoals similar. I backed a couple of winners at Mornington myself at the pub watching the GF. 

On the footy i was not interested all week and had not looked at the odds until Sat morning. I assumed they would both be even money so was amazed you could get 2.35 on WC. Great odds, way overs - especially since i thought their experience would give them an edge. Loaded up on the win (where we would normally go the line) because of the value and backed three of their players to win the NS. Including Shuey at $22. Needless to say had a good collect. And Shuey was shoe in. Probably would have won even if WC lost.

Then we had our one win in Sydney - Maximus in the last. 

On Sunday (crap day for such a good day's racing) had a dose of Punters Lament in the first half of the day with a mix of pulling the wrong reign (why did i take Nonito not Eclair Calling and why not Cliff's Edge?) and close seconds (legale and Tavasan). But came home like a train with Trekking in the 5th and then the last 3 in Smart Melody, Homesman and Furrion. All top, gusty wins and the last three are set for higher honours (and i wouldn't discount trekking - a winner).

So broke close to even on the three race meetings and did super on the footy. 

Bring on next week.

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

I've picked out 10 races that have got my interest in terms of the exotics and with regards to being decent betting races ... including the Turnbull Stakes with Winx as the red-hot favourite.  A First4 in the Turnbull might still pay ok with the right combo.  The most wide-open races look to be the Roman Consul Stakes (R6 Randwick),  Spring Champion Stakes (R7 Randwick) & the Gilgai Stakes (R6 Flemington)

Anyway,  here's the racenet.com links to all the racing at Flemington & Randwick with the aforementioned 10 specific races to maybe look out for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Macca said:

I've picked out 10 races that have got my interest in terms of the exotics and with regards to being decent betting races ... including the Turnbull Stakes with Winx as the red-hot favourite.  A First4 in the Turnbull might still pay ok with the right combo.  The most wide-open races look to be the Roman Consul Stakes (R6 Randwick),  Spring Champion Stakes (R7 Randwick) & the Gilgai Stakes (R6 Flemington)

Anyway,  here's the racenet.com links to all the racing at Flemington & Randwick with the aforementioned 10 specific races to maybe look out for. 

I dont know, i dont see anything in Melbourne jumping out at me. Gai has one placed rather nicely in Sydney and it looks to be a good stayer from High Chaparral and Tale of the Cat pedigree......and of course the name is hard to ignore in a staying race. I wonder if its a decedent of Bart's great one....

Best Bet:

Royal Randwick Race 7 No 1 Thinking Big $3.60

• Like 2

So far so good....anyone else?

Best Bets:

Flemington Race 8 No.5 Amphitrite $3.70

Flemington Race 7 No.1 Avilius $2.35

Royal Randwick Race 7 No 1 Thinking Big $3.60

Those together in a multi will nab you a smashing $31 for your lazy $1.        

(t&cs = provided they win).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Having a look at the ‘Without Winx’ market. 

Kings Will Dream $3.00

Grunt $3.20

I believe the odds for both are excellent value, but which one?

I ended up putting both in with a few others in a F4 with Winx winning ... I've also put on a spec F4 with a your aforementioned 2 winning DZ. 

Of course,  Winx never has a bad day but 'Punters Lament' must be adhered to when it rears its ugly head!  And you just never know.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

JJ's tips are up at Racing.com

I usually look for his value runners as he often snags 1 or 2 at odds.  Ultra-small fields in a number of their races over there these days which is a bit disconcerting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

JJ's tips are up at Racing.com

I usually look for his value runners as he often snags 1 or 2 at odds.  Ultra-small fields in a number of their races over there these days which is a bit disconcerting.

Cheers Macca. Took his selections in order in the first for a F4. A couple of bucks won’t hurt.

Good start to the day with Unite And Conquer saluting in the 1st at Flem. Managed to find $9 Fat Odds.

Edit: The $9 outsider of the four salutes at Morphetville. That happens more often than we think in small fields. Good win too.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Cheers Macca. Took his selections in order in the first for a F4. A couple of bucks won’t hurt.

Good start to the day with Unite And Conquer saluting in the 1st at Flem. Managed to find $9 Fat Odds.

Edit: The $9 outsider of the four salutes at Morphetville. That happens more often than we think in small fields. Good win too.

I've lost count of the number of Hayes horses that have saluted at around 8-1 to 11-1 odds.  One might think that the 'stablemates' are destined to win these types of races ?  It's trial win over 1000m was a good pointer though

Well done on the early collect DZ ... your winner won in impressive style and the trainer of the 'Unite and Conquer' was saying that next up is the Magic Millions next January.  They have obviously got a high opinion of the horse.

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Macca said:

I've lost count of the number of Hayes horses that have saluted at around 8-1 to 11-1 odds.  One might think that the 'stablemates' are destined to win these types of races ?  It's trial win over 1000m was a good pointer though

Well done on the early collect DZ ... your winner won in impressive style and the trainer of the horse (Unite and Conquer) was saying that next up is the Magic Millions next January.  They have obviously got a high opinion of the horse.

I was once told Adelaide was money for jam during the Spring Racing. Smaller fields and you do find some good horses running around. We probably don’t spend the time studying there as much as we do for the Group racing here and Sydney. I don’t anyway Macca. 

It was indeed an impressive win by Unite and Conquer Macca. These first starters are tricky to pick and I just went with the Waterhouse & Bott combo due to my mate’s connections with them. I had no mail from him just an attempt at pot luck. Worked out good, best bets are on now on and it’s time to sit back and enjoy the day. 

I did receive a text a short time ago from a work colleague with an each way chance at Flemington. 

Race 4 No.7 Farooq.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I was once told Adelaide was money for jam during the Spring Racing. Smaller fields and you do find some good horses running around. We probably don’t spend the time studying there as much as we do for the Group racing here and Sydney. I don’t anyway Macca. 

It was indeed an impressive win by Unite and Conquer Macca. These first starters are tricky to pick and I just went with the Waterhouse & Bott combo due to my mate’s connections with them. I had no mail from him just an attempt at pot luck. Worked out good, best bets are on now on and it’s time to sit back and enjoy the day. 

I did receive a text a short time ago from a work colleague with an each way chance at Flemington. 

Race 4 No.7 Farooq.

I'll keep an eye out ... the bigger trainers tend to do well in these debut races but often they are up against each other.  Speaking of which,  I just got a win with Wild Planet (Hawkes team) so the day is off and running!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

I'll keep an eye out ... the bigger trainers tend to do well in these debut races but often they are up against each other.  Speaking of which,  I just got a win with Wild Planet (Hawkes team) so the day is off and running!

Well done mate.

Of course JJ selects the first four in order in the second at Morphetville and I missed it due to adding nothing of value to the Hogan thread.

??? just saw the dividend for the first four. $2.00... the tri paid more.

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Well done mate.

Of course JJ selects the first four in order in the second at Morphetville and I missed it due to adding nothing of value to the Hogan thread.

??? just saw the dividend for the first four. $2.00... the tri paid more.

2 bucks!  That has got to be an all-time low

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Macca said:

2 bucks!  That has got to be an all-time low

Ha ha, I realise it’s a field of four but jeez.

I remember once in a field of 3 I wanted to place an exacta then thought if I get the exacta I will also get the tri, so I filled out a trifecta ticket and my cousin that was with me at the time stopped me and said to place my initial exacta bet. I asked why? He said everyone will be thinking like me and the exacta might pay more than the tri as there’s less people betting on it. He was right that time. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Ha ha, I realise it’s a field of four but jeez.

I remember once in a field of 3 I wanted to place an exacta then thought if I get the exacta I will also get the tri, so I filled out a trifecta ticket and my cousin that was with me at the time stopped me and said to place my initial exacta bet. I asked why? He said everyone will be thinking like me and the exacta might pay more than the tri as there’s less people betting on it. He was right that time. 

JJ delivers another winner with 'Ice Ghost'  ... winning early is great.  Can kick back for the rest of the day now thanks to James.  I rarely bet on the run so all my bets are placed before the racing starts.

• Like 2

Winx again! ... but this time not nearly as easy.  I even thought it could have been blocked for a run from the overhead view. 

But the Mighty Mare makes her own luck.

Absolute Champion!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Macca said:

Winx again! ... but this time not nearly as easy.  I even thought it could have been blocked for a run from the overhead view. 

But the Mighty Mare makes her own luck.

Absolute Champion!

just noticed on some of the TABS (they confuse me with the names) Winx paid $1.10 the win and $1:04 the place.

Not bad those place odds for a significant investment by the very serious punters

Will the Cox Plate be the usual 6 or 7 runners? Should suit her down to the ground. It was the positioning that nearly beat her today as Macca points out rather than the other horses.

• Like 3

Just now, Diamond_Jim said:

just noticed on some of the TABS (they confuse me with the names) Winx paid $1.10 the win and $1:04 the place.

Not bad those place odds for a significant investment by the very serious punters

Will the Cox Plate be the usual 6 or 7 runners? Should suit her down to the ground. It was the positioning that nearly beat her today as Macca points out rather than the other horses.

The place bet might have just been overlooked on a mass scale ... but as you said DJ,  $1.04 was 'overs',  all things considered. 

Was just about to sing the praises of 'Avilius' but it might lose the 'Bart Cummings' on protest ... hung in late and the 2nd horse looks like it will have a very good case.

• Like 2