Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

A Day at the Races

Toorak

35 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

Redkirk Warrior is currently $8.00 for the Newmarket. Equal favourites are Merchant Navy and Redzel (Doubtful) at $5.50.

Nice pick by your work colleague. Some of these betting agencies make you turn over the winnings from bonus bets prior to withdrawal which is a pain in the backside.

Yes D77,  the dividend (which was a substantial figure) is minus the bonus bet amount.

One final catch ...

The winnings from the bonus bets can't be withdrawn until he bets the total amount again!  But he can now bet the 'winnings' any way he likes (Tri's,  Multi's et al) 

Sounds complicated but he'll be smart enough to turn his initial winnings into quite a decent profit (He is, after all,  another dyed-in-the-wool Demon supporter)

Everyone else I know had a lousy weekend on the punt!  But they'll all be back :ph34r:

Australian Group & Listed Races

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

On 2/18/2018 at 7:57 PM, Wadda We Sing said:

Strange ride on the favourite?? Joey??

A friend of mines husband is part owner in Wicklow Brave. They had Moirera on him in last years cup. It was a pretty bad ride by all accounts, although the horse finished off ok. They said he was so in love with himself, he would even really talk to them.

NothingILikeMore missed the start and then just couldn't get going ... here's a replay of the race Wadda.  As an aside,  I don't get why certain races are not graded as Group races when they obviously are (the same sort of thing happens with the Magic Millions & The Everest etc) 

This race (The Hong Kong Classic Cup) was for 4yo's only but carried prizemoney of $1.7Million AUD ... nice work if you can get it for the connections of the winner!  They just motor at Sha Tin - 1:46.99 for the 1800m. 

If I get a chance I'll post up the replays of the European Group 1's throughout our winter (youtube normally has them up reasonably promptly)

• Like 2

I'm going early again this week with my best bet (Rosehill) ...

Best Bet  Rosehill  Race 3 No.4  Sunlight ($2.80) ... coming off her Magic Millions triumph the horse looks well placed here with only 7 running.  The 6 week break will have freshened the horse up as well. 

I like a few others at Rosehill this week but this horse was the standout because of her obvious class.  She won't have it all her own way but I reckon she wins.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Macca said:

Best Bet  Rosehill  Race 3 No.4  Sunlight ($2.80) ... coming off her Magic Millions triumph the horse looks well placed here with only 7 running.  The 6 week break will have freshened the horse up as well. 

I like a few others at Rosehill this week but this horse was the standout because of her obvious class.  She won't have it all her own way but I reckon she wins.  

Yeah nice, i like it. The McEvoy stable has had some great youngsters apparently. This one no exception. Good price in a 7 horse field. Good barrier. Leadup race for the Slipper?? I see Egyption Symbol is going around again at 6.50 in R5 at Rosehill.

I also note Ace High in R7 Hobartville Stakes Grp 2. Its 1400 but has won and placed at the trip. Its 4.50 place is not a bad bet. Hes currently 8/1 for The Australian Darby, that will come in if he places here...

There are some smashing races. Very tough day coming up i think. I like Russian Revolution in the Oakliegh Plate, its first up and 3 from 3 first up record is very impressive, but that is one tough race. Almandin resumes in Race 1 at Caulfield over 2000. I like Bedford too in that race.

Im gonna keep studying and wait till Friday afternoon for my best. This just gets harder!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah nice, i like it. The McEvoy stable has had some great youngsters apparently. This one no exception. Good price in a 7 horse field. Good barrier. Leadup race for the Slipper?? I see Egyption Symbol is going around again at 6.50 in R5 at Rosehill.

I also note Ace High in R7 Hobartville Stakes Grp 2. Its 1400 but has won and placed at the trip. Its 4.50 place is not a bad bet. Hes currently 8/1 for The Australian Darby, that will come in if he places here...

There are some smashing races. Very tough day coming up i think. I like Russian Revolution in the Oakliegh Plate, its first up and 3 from 3 first up record is very impressive, but that is one tough race. Almandin resumes in Race 1 at Caulfield over 2000. I like Bedford too in that race.

Im gonna keep studying and wait till Friday afternoon for my best. This just gets harder!

I've no doubt you'll come up with a winner Wadda!

I could have taken better odds with a couple of others and if it was just me,  I might have done.  But the best bet is for the 4 of us to work with (and anyone else for that matter :ph34r:) so I arrived at 'Sunlight' because I reckon it's got the best chance of winning. 

You're right - there are some very good horses running around both in Sydney & Melbourne.  I will definitely give 'Egyptian Symbol' another chance whilst another big winner from the Magic Millions (Pierata) is at good odds in the 'Ace High' race (Race 7 Rosehill)

Super excited for Saturday as our Demons are going at it as well in the arvo. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Macca said:

I've no doubt you'll come up with a winner Wadda!

I could have taken better odds with a couple of others and if it was just me,  I might have done.  But the best bet is for the 4 of us to work with (and anyone else for that matter :ph34r:) so I arrived at 'Sunlight' because I reckon it's got the best chance of winning. 

You're right - there are some very good horses running around both in Sydney & Melbourne.  I will definitely give 'Egyptian Symbol' another chance whilst another big winner from the Magic Millions (Pierata) is at good odds in the 'Ace High' race (Race 7 Rosehill)

Super excited for Saturday as our Demons are going at it as well in the arvo. 

Yeah thats the thing isnt it. Its what i go by as well, trying to pick a winner for the 4 of us. So like i say, a bit more research from me and Friday arvo sometime. Might be a few scratchings by then. Will be a fascinating duel between Hartnell and Gailo Chop in the last race at Caulfield, Taj Mahal and Single Gaze in that race as well. What a race to bring home the Quad.

Is Melbourne playing already? I suppose its almost March isnt it.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Macca said:

Going early is probably a good way to do it this week Macca. Pick it and stick to it.

I've just gone through the Melbourne and Sydney fields and the racing certainly cranks up this week.

The Oakleigh Plate is a cracking race, the horse I liked for the Blue Diamond has drawn the car park (Written By 18).

The Hartnell race is a tricky one. Gailo Chop and Single Gaze look like serious players in that one.

Brave Smash stands out as the one so far in the Futurity to me.

Show A Star in Sydney has drawn barrier 11. The way it won its last two starts suggests they will push to the lead from the jump, the barrier shouldn't be that much of a concern though as his tactical speed is good. I just noticed an early scratching so barrier 10 now. 

I will study over the next two days and wait for scratchings and declare on Saturday morning.

Wow, too much going on this Saturday, might have to venture down to the local and catch the footy and the racing without channel flicking.

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 2

A few other horses I like at Caulfield - at first glance.  Not necessarily in the 'best bet' category but realistic chances.  I will be doing a few 2-4-6 multiple trifecta's at Caulfield so here's a few thoughts ...

• Bedford in the first race should go well again.  Almandin is another to look out for. 
  • Smart Coupe deserves another chance in the Armanasco Stakes (Race 4) Needs to jump well!
  • With 'Dollar for Dollar' out of the Futurity I keep looking at Tosen Stardom & Brave Smash
  • Terribly difficult race but I don't mind 'Prairie Fire'  & 'Ennis Hill' in the Blue Diamond
  • The Oakleigh Plate is just too hard for me but I might have a 'Spec' trifecta in the race
  • The lucky last is an interesting betting race with 3 standouts (Hartnell,  Gailo Chop & The Taj Mahal) - can't split them. 
Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah thats the thing isnt it. Its what i go by as well, trying to pick a winner for the 4 of us. So like i say, a bit more research from me and Friday arvo sometime. Might be a few scratchings by then. Will be a fascinating duel between Hartnell and Gailo Chop in the last race at Caulfield, Taj Mahal and Single Gaze in that race as well. What a race to bring home the Quad.

Is Melbourne playing already? I suppose its almost March isnt it.

It does seem early Wadda but we only play the 2 practice games and they are 11-12 days apart ... the other game is against the Saints on the 8th March (@ Casey - Evening)

I liked The Taj Mahal's run in the Zipping Classic back in November.  As you said,  the race is a terrific way to finish the days program. 

Edit:  The Taj Mahal scratched. 

18 hours ago, Demon77 said:

Going early is probably a good way to do it this week Macca. Pick it and stick to it.

I've just gone through the Melbourne and Sydney fields and the racing certainly cranks up this week.

The Oakleigh Plate is a cracking race, the horse I liked for the Blue Diamond has drawn the car park (Written By 18).

The Hartnell race is a tricky one. Gailo Chop and Single Gaze look like serious players in that one.

Brave Smash stands out as the one so far in the Futurity to me.

Show A Star in Sydney has drawn barrier 11. The way it won its last two starts suggests they will push to the lead from the jump, the barrier shouldn't be that much of a concern though as his tactical speed is good. I just noticed an early scratching so barrier 10 now. 

I will study over the next two days and wait for scratchings and declare on Saturday morning.

Wow, too much going on this Saturday, might have to venture down to the local and catch the footy and the racing without channel flicking.

I've nearly always preferred to back horses to win at Rosehill,  Randwick or Warwick Farm D77.  The fields are generally smaller so the horses often don't have any excuses (held up for a run,  got too far back etc etc)

And as you said,  it's a very difficult assignment for 'Written By' in the Blue Diamond drawing the 18 barrier in a quality 1200m race.  However, it did win the Blue Diamond Prelude from barrier 13 after showing good early speed. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

There's a good betting race on tonight at the Valley ... hoping to kick off the weekend with a early payout.  Multiple Trifecta only. 

Moonee Valley Race 7  Typhoon Tracy Stakes 3yo  Fillies  SW + P  1200m  150k Group 3

• Like 1

Tough day coming up tomorrow but we all like a challenge.

Best Bet- Rosehill R2 No.1- Show A Star. Fixed odds $3.00

This race lacks depth and the horse will carry 55kg after the claim. The smallish field will enable the horse to get to the front without too much pressure (hopefully) and could be hard to run down again. Show A Star was also nominated for Race 6 at Rosehill where the horse was weighted at 53.5kg. The fact they chose Race 2 made me lean towards him as the "Best".

Best Roughie - Caulfield R2 No.6 Belfast.

Fixed odds- $ 12.00 W $3.40P

Blue Diamond Pick- No.16 Oohood. Fixed. $7.00W $2.75P

Still a Maiden ( should be unbeaten) but has been beaten by less than a length all 3 starts. Likes to settle mid/rear and can finish strongly as seen in all runs to date. If Currie is lucky enough to slot into a good position from 10 and get some cover, with a genuinely hot pace she could run over the top of them.

Edited by Demon77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Demon77 said:

Tough day coming up tomorrow but we all like a challenge.

Best Bet- Rosehill R2 No.1- Show A Star. Fixed odds $3.00

This race lacks depth and the horse will carry 55kg after the claim. The smallish field will enable the horse to get to the front without too much pressure (hopefully) and could be hard to run down again. Show A Star was also nominated for Race 6 at Rosehill where the horse was weighted at 53.5kg. The fact they chose Race 2 made me lean towards him as the "Best".

Best Roughie - Caulfield R2 No.6 Belfast.

Fixed odds- $ 12.00 W $3.40P

Blue Diamond Pick- No.16 Oohood. Fixed. $7.00W $2.75P

Still a Maiden ( should be unbeaten) but has been beaten by less than a length all 3 starts. Likes to settle mid/rear and can finish strongly as seen in all runs to date. If Currie is lucky enough to slot into a good position from 10 and get some cover, with a genuinely hot pace she could run over the top of them.

Show a Star looks every chance D77 ... the standouts are more at Rosehill rather than Caulfield.  The Blue Diamond & Oakleigh Plate are especially difficult.  Still,  it won't mean that we won't get some great racing coupled with some excellent dividends (Tri's & First4's)

I've put together some small spec multi's & spec trifectas to keep an interest throughout. 

Your pick in the Blue Diamond (Oohood) is a real show too - great closing speed at the finish in all of her races so the extra distance up to 1200m will suit.  I like 'Prairie Fire' for similar reasons and the horse has the inside barrier. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

Show a Star looks every chance D77 ... the standouts are more at Rosehill rather than Caulfield.  The Blue Diamond & Oakleigh Plate are especially difficult.  Still,  it won't mean that we won't get some great racing coupled with some excellent dividends (Tri's & First 4's)

I've put together some small spec multi's & spec trifectas to keep an interest throughout. 

Your pick in the Blue Diamond (Oohood) is a real show too - great closing speed at the finish in all of her races so the extra distance up to 1200m will suit.  I like 'Prairie Fire' for similar reasons and the horse has the inside barrier. 

That's the plan tomorrow Macca. I'll get to the local early enough and put a few of them on for the Caulfield races.  If we're lucky enough to get a collect while watching our boys run around it will be a decent one like you stated.

Smart Coupe is every chance too as previously stated, going back to the Caulfield review of two weeks ago the panel marked her as one to look out for next run. Missing the start was unlike her last time time in.

• Like 1

Im still struggling to find a pick......can i choose Ace High for a place @ 4.50? You can put place bets into multis now i think??

Ill keep looking, but im leaning that way.....

Good morning  Wadda. Ace High the place is as good a bet as any today. 

Current odds.

Show A Star - $3.00 (W) D77

Sunlight -       $2.80 (W) Macca

Ace High-       $4.90 (P) Wadda

@binman     Insert here.

Multi price: $41.16

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Im still struggling to find a pick......can i choose Ace High for a place @ 4.50? You can put place bets into multis now i think??

Ill keep looking, but im leaning that way.....

G'day Wadda

I like the thinking there ... we gave the horse a bit of a chance to be in the finish at its first up run over the 1200m.  I am seeing up to 6.00 offered so the odds are enticing too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Macca said:

G'day Wadda

I like the thinking there ... we gave the horse a bit of a chance to be in the finish at its first up run over the 1200m.  I am seeing up to 6.00 offered so the odds are enticing too.

Well yeah im going with that i guess, just cant see a standout anywhere else. I like Russian Revolution, will go close and i think Almandin is head and shoulders above the others in the first if he comes back fit.

I think Ace High is going to come into this pretty fit and will be flying home. If hes close enough he easily places. Thats my take anyway.

My only query is can we get it in a multi for a place? Im pretty sure you can.

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, binman said:

Very tricky day. here's my tips:

best bet: gailo chop (good vale too, i think he is an energing stating satr and hrtnell won't catch him)

Best value: snitty kitty

Long shot/each way: Lord of the SKy

Good luck all

Nice pick Bin. I agree, think Gailo will beat Hartnell.

• Like 2

Well yeah im going with that i guess, just cant see a standout anywhere else. I like Russian Revolution, will go close and i think Almandin is head and shoulders above the others in the first if he comes back fit.

I think Ace High is going to come into this pretty fit and will be flying home. If hes close enough he easily places. Thats my take anyway.

My only query is can we get it in a multi for a place? Im pretty sure you can.

Fairly sure the TAB offers that facility and I know that Sportsbet definitely does Wadda.  Ladbrokes doesn't at first glance.  

A good run from Almandin too ... it looked home for a long time there.  Worth following up on all the same

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

Fairly sure the TAB offers that facility and I know that Sportsbet definitely does Wadda.  Ladbrokes doesn't at first glance.  

A good run from Almandin too ... it looked home for a long time there.  Worth following up on all the same

Yes, just placed the multi with a place selection included at the Tab. 

Happy Punting guys!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

Good win Sunlight! 

Looks like Santos has a challenger for the Golden Slipper.:)

Yep D77 ... impressive win by Sunlight and Estijaab ran a treat as well.  The Slipper is an extra 100m and that extra bit of distance looks like it will definitely suit Sunlight.  And Santos looms large.

Show a Star couldn't get cover whilst Cellarman got a great run.  Anyway I'm still alive because of the Sunlight win and hope others are as well. 

• Like 2