Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Delistings

junk

DAWES ( 5th round pick),

TERLICH (zilch),

ANB (3rd round pick),

NEWTON (zilch),

MINCHIE (zilch),

LUMUMBA (5th round pick),

GRIMES (4th round pick), 

SPENCER(4th round pick), 

MAX KING (zilch), 

Matt Jones, Trengove and White safe for now.

ANB is a keep for me. He just needs some time. 

• Like 18

DAWES (zero), TERLICH (zilch), ANB (keep),NEWTON(zilch),MINCHIE(zilch),LUMUMBA(if healthy, probably keep),GRIMES(dfa/4th/5th rd best case) SPENCER(contracted) ,MAX KING (zilch)

Matt Jones (maybe keep, has improved this year),Trengove (would be mildly surprised if he is kept on. Just too slow) and White (he would be concerned)

Need to keep in mind that we dont have a plethora of draft picks this year, so unless we see some gold in the rookie drafts etc, can't see us de-listing too many this year. Maybe that saves the likes of Trenners, and Lumumba.

• Like 1

Probably keep -

Surely Trengove is a keeper? It'd be pretty dumb to hold onto a player through their rehab, give them a few games where they showed they are still competent, and then dump them before they've had a real preseason with the group. Keeping him makes practical sense as well as avoiding that sour feeling.

Kennedy-Harris has slowed his development dramatically since his early exciting start, but I'd imagine he's had enough bad luck and shown enough good glimpses to justify another season. 

Neal-Bullen we'd be mad to delist. Great depth at a low price, and looks constantly on the edge of stepping up and being a serious AFL contributor. No 'risk' or cost involved in keeping him, and there is real chance of a big upside.

Pederson. Look below at the first line of the 'exits' - I see four senior players Pederson is ahead of, and stays ahead of given he can cover any of their roles and as a bonus is the only one who can also support in the ruck. He's the most versatile and most reliable of the lot.

Probably farewell - 

Awkward times for Lumumba, Dunn, Garland, Dawes and Grimes. I wouldn't say any of them are out-and-out failures, but they all have limitations (which have driven a few Demonlanders mad... madder) and they have all been overtaken by others.

Terlich and Michie are presumably both done at AFL level, despite being quite respectable at Casey. But there's the rub - three years ago both those guys, and all of the players mentioned above, would have been in our starting 22 out of a fully fit list.

Newton I'm sad about - I thought he could have been a genuine attacking mid, but he just hasn't ever put it all together. Though he's young enough to be given some more time, I think as a club we're best served by trying a new kid.

So, I've got 8 players on the probable exit list. Some might be worth a little bit in trade, at least enough to do a shuffle of academy cash-in picks which might get us one pick late in the first round. I like the idea of 'high-low' in drafts; early to get something we need, late for turnover of bottom-price 'possibles'. Scanning the draft prospect list, it seems there's two 'suitable for needs' tall half-backs, Witherden and Rotham, both tipped for late in the first round.

Several of those likely to leave will be on decent pay, so our salary cap will open up a bit, to either secure the players we need to keep or to grab a loose player that fits our needs. 

The rest can be a collection of late draft 'interesting' picks for McCartney to see what he can do with. We'll go into the 2017 season with a deep midfield, a variety of talls both forward and back, more speed than we've had in many many years, and the game's best ruckman.

Touch wood.

• Like 7

Worry about it then. 

There's 3 games left + whatever else of VFL finals. Terlich is probably the only sure thing. The rest of the names have all played at least 1 game this year. They might only have to show they are the best of 2 options to keep a spot. I really think Dawes and Pedda have between now and the end of the year to fight for 1 spot

I'm hoping for a year in which we don't have anyone we want to keep leave. That will be a big step forward for the list and culture. 

Keep in mind. It's who goes, not if anything in return !!

Also

We need to fill whatever we empty

Interesting EOS ahead. Very different status.

Edited by beelzebub

58 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Probably keep -

Surely Trengove is a keeper? It'd be pretty dumb to hold onto a player through their rehab, give them a few games where they showed they are still competent, and then dump them before they've had a real preseason with the group. Keeping him makes practical sense as well as avoiding that sour feeling.

Kennedy-Harris has slowed his development dramatically since his early exciting start, but I'd imagine he's had enough bad luck and shown enough good glimpses to justify another season. 

Neal-Bullen we'd be mad to delist. Great depth at a low price, and looks constantly on the edge of stepping up and being a serious AFL contributor. No 'risk' or cost involved in keeping him, and there is real chance of a big upside.

Pederson. Look below at the first line of the 'exits' - I see four senior players Pederson is ahead of, and stays ahead of given he can cover any of their roles and as a bonus is the only one who can also support in the ruck. He's the most versatile and most reliable of the lot.

Probably farewell - 

Awkward times for Lumumba, Dunn, Garland, Dawes and Grimes. I wouldn't say any of them are out-and-out failures, but they all have limitations (which have driven a few Demonlanders mad... madder) and they have all been overtaken by others.

Terlich and Michie are presumably both done at AFL level, despite being quite respectable at Casey. But there's the rub - three years ago both those guys, and all of the players mentioned above, would have been in our starting 22 out of a fully fit list.

Newton I'm sad about - I thought he could have been a genuine attacking mid, but he just hasn't ever put it all together. Though he's young enough to be given some more time, I think as a club we're best served by trying a new kid.

So, I've got 8 players on the probable exit list. Some might be worth a little bit in trade, at least enough to do a shuffle of academy cash-in picks which might get us one pick late in the first round. I like the idea of 'high-low' in drafts; early to get something we need, late for turnover of bottom-price 'possibles'. Scanning the draft prospect list, it seems there's two 'suitable for needs' tall half-backs, Witherden and Rotham, both tipped for late in the first round.

Several of those likely to leave will be on decent pay, so our salary cap will open up a bit, to either secure the players we need to keep or to grab a loose player that fits our needs. 

The rest can be a collection of late draft 'interesting' picks for McCartney to see what he can do with. We'll go into the 2017 season with a deep midfield, a variety of talls both forward and back, more speed than we've had in many many years, and the game's best ruckman.

Touch wood.

Good summary, the club might want to keep one of Dunn and Garland as insurance, that would be 7 outs, given we have limited picks in the draft we may only want 6 or so changes, and one might be Mitch King as well. 

2 hours ago, ENYAW said:

DAWES( 5th round pick),TERLICH(zilch),ANB(3rd round pick),NEWTON(zilch),MINCHIE(zilch),LUMUMBA(5th round pick),GRIMES(4th round pick) SPENCER(4th round pick) ,MAX KING (zilch)

Matt Jones,Trengove and White safe for now.

Agree with nearly allI Trengove finished!

Edited by picket fence

1 hour ago, DemonLad5 said:

Mark my words, several clubs will be making phone calls if we decide to put Trengove on the trade block.

Then let em ring!! Too slllloooowwwwwww Finished for what we need!

Trengoves eval comes at end of next season.

• Like 2

One of Garland or Dunn will be offered up for trade. 

Lumumba is an interesting case. One year to run on his deal and has probably been replaced in the best 22. 

Edited by Adzman
  • Like 2

Obviously anyone out of contract will be worried. We don't have a lot of picks and there is no sense clearing blokes if you don't have someone better or have a trade in mind. From previous Demonland posts listing 2016 contract renewals the following are for consideration

Key position players I believe will be a choice between Dawes or Pederson, I cannot see us keeping both. The 2 Mac's are still be sign contracts

Mids out of contract are Michie (upgraded from rookie list), Grimes (RFA), Newton, Trengove, M Jones. I would expect us to keep at least 2 of the five. Michie could stay on the rookie list or move elsewhere and Grimes can move where ever he likes. I doubt Trengove will be cast off after this season and Matt Jones hasn't had a bad season. Remember we are still a very young list and we need some experience and older bodies.

I can see no future at the club for Terlich. Of the rookies I suspect King will be moved on and I am unsure of where White stands.  Rookie upgrades this year were to cover Melksham the forgotten man and Mitch King. Michie may remain on the rookie list and Wagner may be upgraded or remain a rookie especially if Hibberd is coming. I suspect that unless Heretier's concussion issues resolve very quickly that he will retire.

Dunne and Neal-Bullen are contracted till 2017 and Garland beyond that. So to leave they would need a trade and the club has not in the last 3 years dumped a contracted player. They may not if Hibberd is coming.

Minimum reduction is 3 so I don't see a big list movement, maybe 4 off max 5. So Terlich, Dawes, Grimes initially, after that depends on the Macs and signing contracts and anyone who wants out

• Like 4

Off the Rookie List, i'd de-list Michie (maybe get him to sign up with the Scorps, as he does excel at VFL level)

Off the main list (whether or not they are contracted or not) those first to make way would be (in no particular order): Dawes, Lumumba, Dunn, Newton, Garland, Grimes, M. Jones and Terlich.

There is still many on the list who need to go, if we are to continue to improve. Almost a quarter of the list is still what i would deem as not up to AFL standard. Prior to Roos, it would've been close to only a quarter that was, so Roosy's tenure has seen an improvement to 50% of our overall list. Quite a dramatic improvement in the space of only 3 years.

If I were in charge of list management I'd be looking to either move on or delist the following: Max King, Ben Newton, Viv Michie, Chris Dawes, Jack Grimes, Dean Terlich which leaves two spots on the rookie list and four picks in the draft discluding potential trades, which of course will come into consideration. Give Mitch White anther year, he has potential and we've already invested two years into him. Jack Trengove another year as well, unless a good trade option comes up and I expect it will. ANB, DEFINITELY keep. No question about it. He'd be averaging almost if not over 30 possessions a game in the VFL and it is his second year in the system. No idea how his name entered this discussion. Keep Matt Jones and Cam Pederson, both have their weaknesses but are reliable back-ups, the former being apart of the best side we can field if he can just get improve on his ball use. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, hemingway said:

Amazing, we have just had a famous win and folks are talking about who we get rid of at season end. 

Well it has to happen, and will soon. I personally am still buzzing because of the win but with three rounds to go, the thought does cross ones mind. 

19 minutes ago, Seetrollgetttroll said:

If I were in charge of list management I'd be looking to either move on or delist the following: Max King, Ben Newton, Viv Michie, Chris Dawes, Jack Grimes, Dean Terlich which leaves two spots on the rookie list and four picks in the draft discluding potential trades, which of course will come into consideration. Give Mitch White anther year, he has potential and we've already invested two years into him. Jack Trengove another year as well, unless a good trade option comes up and I expect it will. ANB, DEFINITELY keep. No question about it. He'd be averaging almost if not over 30 possessions a game in the VFL and it is his second year in the system. No idea how his name entered this discussion. Keep Matt Jones and Cam Pederson, both have their weaknesses but are reliable back-ups, the former being apart of the best side we can field if he can just get improve on his ball use. 

Exceptional first post.

Agree with everything except I'd persevere with Max King. After Gawn and Spencer we are almost non existent in the ruck department. King showed a lot last season, he seems to have stagnated this season but that is hardly unheard of for a 2nd year player who is 200cm and just 20 years old.

• Like 1

I believe the club will offer Trenners a 2 year contract at likely to be a similar lower rate to this year but the conversation will go something like: 

"Jack there's two years on the table at Melbourne, but we expect you will be be in the depth category for most of it. You will likely play quite a few games at Casey but when you do play we will expect you will be able to step into your role as if it's where you play every week."

The second year might even have trigger clauses. Jacks a smart guy and he would be reading the direction of the club. If he wants to have a crack at playing consistent AFL footy, I don't think it will happen with us barring injuries (which by the way we have been very fortunate on this year). 

I don't think after the hard work both he and the club has gone through with him that we'll just ship him off. I think it'll be on whether Jack is content with a lesser role at the club. 

I would not begrudge him moving on. 

Max King, Grimes, Terlich, Newton, Garland or Dunn (I feel like we'll keep one with Col my pick), Michie (disappointed with him) are my picks to be delisted. Dawes and Pedders are both on the chopping block as well but like Garland and Dunn I think we'll hold on to one. If I was to pick I would keep Pedders, I have a nasty feeling the match committee likes Dawes more. Maybe the Hawks game has swayed it back in Cams favour. 

I know quite a few people want Matt Jones gone, at times I am one of them, but I think he's staying put. He's coverage and seems to play his role when he comes in. Look at Cheyne at Hawthorn, he's not a world beater but when he comes in he plays a role.