Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - MICHAEL HIBBERD

KC from Casey

59 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-demons-will-ramp-up-michael-hibberd-interest-at-end-of-season-20160821-gqxvmj.html

Not to sure what to make of this: "Goodwin... said it was too early to say Hibberd would wind up under his purview once more...He hasn't made the decision where he wants to go yet...We'll have those discussions at the end of the year...If he fits and he wants to come and wants to be a part of it, he'd be a good asset."

I'm glad Goodwin's comment is non-committal as I smell a rat!  I reckon Paul Connors advised Hibberd to not nominate a club so he can involve another club and force us to offer a higher trade to EFC than we want.  (Connors did a deal with EFC to not take his players away as DFA's).

I heard Lloyd say yesterday (because we paid 23 for Melksham) Hibberd is worth pick 20, effectively a 1st rnd pick (aft Academy player picks).  I'm expecting all the Ess media fan boys to trot out the same line, again with the intent to force our hand to offer a higher trade than we want.

They know we overpaid for Melksham last year and are trying to strong-arm us into the same for Hibberd. 

The pressure is building.  Stay strong Dees - 'Take It Or Leave It' has to be our stand!

why would connors care about whether essendon gets overs. there is no money in that for him? his prime concern would be getting the highest contract for hibberd

• Like 5

The problem with trading is that you can't trade picks you don't have and your picks are (at least) 18 positions apart - so it's pretty easy for a players value to fall in the middle. We'll have something like pick 26, we can't give them pick 20 if we don't have it.

Pick swaps is the only direct way to fix this, yes other clubs can get involved but that is usually not straightforward.

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

The problem with trading is that you can't trade picks you don't have and your picks are (at least) 18 positions apart - so it's pretty easy for a players value to fall in the middle. We'll have something like pick 26, we can't give them pick 20 if we don't have it.

Pick swaps is the only direct way to fix this, yes other clubs can get involved but that is usually not straightforward.

Just like we "overpaid" slightly for Melksham last year, we may end up "underpaying" slightly for Hibberd this year (although not in my opinion).
And in spite of all that, you have to look at the net result at the end of the trade period, these days more than ever.
"Overpaying" for Melksham was largely irrelevant when we (the supporters) realised we would have moved that pick anyway to achieve the fantastic result we did, of getting 2 top 10 picks to select Weideman and Oliver..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/melbourne-demons-will-ramp-up-michael-hibberd-interest-at-end-of-season-20160821-gqxvmj.html

Not to sure what to make of this: "Goodwin... said it was too early to say Hibberd would wind up under his purview once more...He hasn't made the decision where he wants to go yet...We'll have those discussions at the end of the year...If he fits and he wants to come and wants to be a part of it, he'd be a good asset."

I'm glad Goodwin's comment is non-committal as I smell a rat!  I reckon Paul Connors advised Hibberd to not nominate a club so he can involve another club and force us to offer a higher trade to EFC than we want.  (Connors did a deal with EFC to not take his players away as DFA's).

I heard Lloyd say yesterday (because we paid 23 for Melksham) Hibberd is worth pick 20, effectively a 1st rnd pick (aft Academy player picks).  I'm expecting all the Ess media fan boys to trot out the same line, again with the intent to force our hand to offer a higher trade than we want.

They know we overpaid for Melksham last year and are trying to strong-arm us into the same for Hibberd. 

The pressure is building.  Stay strong Dees - 'Take It Or Leave It' has to be our stand!

You can relax. The word around the traps is that the deal has been agreed by both clubs, at our 2nd round pick.

That is why Hibberd and Essendon are being so nice to each other and the CEO said they would help Hibberd get to his new club. There is love everywhere.

All over.

I think we will be looking at possible trades to get back into the 2nd round.

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Redleg said:

You can relax. The word around the traps is that the deal has been agreed by both clubs, at our 2nd round pick.

That is why Hibberd and Essendon are being so nice to each other and the CEO said they would help Hibberd get to his new club. There is love everywhere.

All over.

I think we will be looking at possible trades to get back into the 2nd round.

Good news.  Thanks for the reassurance.

I think I let my loathing and distrust of everything EFC does cloud my thinking!:wacko:

Edit: Just noticed GCS have picks: 21,23,24,27 in rnd 2.  Given they will have at least 3 top 10 picks they may be willing to trade away one the early rnd 2 picks especially as they will want draft points rather than draft picks. eg if Grimes goes as an FA we might get a 3rd rnd compo pick which can go to GCS with some later picks (or other such combo's) for one of 21,23,24.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I think this quote was from his pre-game interview with triple M. Jay Clark was stating it as fact that Hibberd was coming to Melbourne and Goodwin had to play it down a bit. He handled the interview well but you could tell it's a done deal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

You're reading far too much into things.  You're looking for smoke and mirrors.

Before the season is over clubs virtually never concede anything in the media,  He'll be a Dee.

• Like 2

On 20/08/2016 at 10:21 PM, CBDees said:

Frankly, after giving up our second round pick last year for Melksham, I am really disinclined to repeat the exercise this year, particularly when we don't have a first round pick. I would love Hinberd to threaten to walk for breach of contract and offer them the option of fighting it or taking our fourth round pick.

I think if a deal came down to "Hibberd and Melksham for two second-round picks", I'd take it.

Hibberd a much more valuable player, both in quality and position.

I'd be quite content if it took an earlier second rounder gained through the 'academy points package deal' process to get Hibberd.

Let's be honest, our drafting this year and maybe another is about running the turnover for any 'discount gems'. We have depth across midfield, forward line and even tall defenders.

Basically, with Hibber adding an extra piece of consistency and class in defence, we're fine for 'ok, AFL-level' players for now. It is going to take a year or two to find out where the real deficiencies are in this young group (other than learning to run in supportive packs... sigh). 

5 minutes ago, deefella said:

Surprise surprise article on herald sun web saying pick 27 won't be enough... Typical 

It also mentioned that if talks break down, Hibberd could go to the grievance tribunal and argue a breach of contract.  Still lots of water to go under the bridge with this one.

I still think our second rounder, eventually, gets the deal done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

It also mentioned that if talks break down, Hibberd could go to the grievance tribunal and argue a breach of contract.  Still lots of water to go under the bridge with this one.

I still think our second rounder, eventually, gets the deal done.

Throw in Dawes lol

9 hours ago, faultydet said:

We wont. We never do.

I can see it being next years first pick. I think he will let his strong personal relationship with Hibberd cloud his judgement.

Hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect to be.

This years second rounder should be more than enough.

There is no chance in the world it will be next years 1st rd pick.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

There is no chance in the world it will be next years 1st rd pick.  

And that's the way it should be, but recent experience, and essedon's dodo, caution me otherwise.

I hope Redleg is correct.

5 minutes ago, faultydet said:

And that's the way it should be, but recent experience, and essedon's dodo, caution me otherwise.

I hope Redleg is correct.

What recent experience??? Melksham was about right.   It was never going to be a 3rd rounder. 

2 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

What recent experience??? Melksham was about right.   It was never going to be a 3rd rounder. 

I thought we overpaid for him personally, although I suspect you are correct, in that our 3rd rd pick was never going to be enough. I always factored in the VERY high likelihood that he would serve a suspension for drugs. I was always confident that the good guys would win, once it was out of the afl's slimy hands.

Oops, we also overpaid for Lamumba, and most definitely Dawes.

Edited by faultydet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, faultydet said:

I thought we overpaid for him personally, although I suspect you are correct, in that our 3rd rd pick was never going to be enough. I always factored in the VERY high likelihood that he would serve a suspension for drugs. I was always confident that the good guys would win, once it was out of the afl's slimy hands.

Oops, we also overpaid for Lamumba, and most definitely Dawes.

I think the Lumumba, Varcoe and Clark trade has actually came out pretty fair.  They are all battlers. 

I agree on the Dawes one. 

Edited by Demons11

4 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I think the Lumumba, Varcoe and Clark has actually came out pretty fair.  They are all battlers. 

I agree on the Dawes one. 

I see it differently D11.

Just because Clark was a bust also, doesn't mean we got value for Lumumba.

He has been a failure any way you look at it, especially considering Jason Taylors record since landing with us. I would love to see who he would have chosen at that pick.

Edited by faultydet
sorry for spelling our players name incorrectly
  • Like 1

Pick 27 for Hibberd is a no, he should be allowed to leave EFC free of charge…………. actually you do have to give up a draft pick. We delisted Fitzpatrick and recieve pick 84 from the Hawks. The Dees should be looking elsewhere i.e GWS the footyfactory we have been served well by them in the past and they are easier to work with than the EFC. As I said B4 Caleb Marchbank looks the goods. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, faultydet said:

I see it differently D11.

Just because Clark was a bust also, doesn't mean we got value for Lumumba.

He has been a failure any way you look at it, especially considering Jason Taylors record since landing with us. I would love to see who he would have chosen at that pick.

Considering Jason Taylor's record since landing with us, I think seeing who he would have chosen would just make us all sad

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

Pick 27 for Hibberd is a no, he should be allowed to leave EFC free of charge…………. actually you do have to give up a draft pick. We delisted Fitzpatrick and recieve pick 84 from the Hawks. The Dees should be looking elsewhere i.e GWS the footyfactory we have been served well by them in the past and they are easier to work with than the EFC. As I said B4 Caleb Marchbank looks the goods. 

I agree Wayne, but we need to keep our heads in the real world. We will pay for Hibberd, as the AFL overlords will not allow this to go to grievance.

If it's our second round, lets just welcome him, and wish him the best. He will be a very good player for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pitty said:

hey can someone please post the article? I know everyone says you can google it, but everywhere I seem to find links me to Herald Sun and blocks me. am I googling it wrong?

Cheers

Use Google Chrome.

Highlight the topic, right click, and select "search google for..."blah blah blah" topic"