Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 22

Demonland

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

Maybe the group think on Harmes was right after all.  That has caught me off guard, I've got to confess. 

Best of luck to Michie and ANB.  Say what you will about them as players, one thing you can definitely say is that they've had to go down the hard road this year to get their chances, and have sustained high quality VFL performances all year.  

I think you may have to start getting used to this Nash, it's the new MFC. When was the last time we made 2 unforced changes following a win, and a good win at at that?!?

A new benchmark has been set. I fully agreed with you that there's been allowances for disposal inefficiencies as long as the effort was there. That's just all changed and the players now have to be accountable for all aspects of their game.

Harmes out for Michie. Harmes has disposal problems, and consistently. He'll be hungrier than ever to work on this and fight his way back in. I'm sure he'll fix it, given his desire, and come back a better player. Michie has destroyed the VFL this year. I watched one of the games online a few weeks ago and to me he missed a lot of targets, but at the same time everyone was saying his efficiency numbers were good. Either way, his overall numbers are undeniable, and I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't give him a shot in that role to prove himself. He's a direct swap, role for role, with Harmes, and I hope he's upgraded in the draft..

Pedo out for The Pusher. I'm a Pedo fan, he's tough and he does his role regardless. It may not reflect on the stat sheet, but my eyes tell me he's so far in front of Dawes that there's no longer a conversation. However, Weeds is the future and performed well enough on debut to suggest he can not only hold his end up, but improve even further second up, and take some focus off Hoges. Now if what they say's true and he copped a cork in that first marking contest, I think we'll see something pretty spectacular vs Carlton.

ANB in for Garlett is somewhat of a surprise as it isn't like for like. Kennedy would have been the obvious option, however ANB has definitely deserved a chance to show what he can do, and in the wet he may be even more valuable than Garlett himself. Only time will tell.

I'd consider them aggressive selections in that they aren't the obvious and they're clearly an attempt to improve a winning side. I'm loving it Nash, and I know what Big Kev would say right about now. I'm excited! Make no mistake, we're (sorry, MFC are) making a charge at this years finals - and we'll do a lot of damage if luck sees us through the door.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pates said:

We should. We're Melbourne. Nothing is certain. 

I feel that Michie is in many ways playing for his spot on the list. He's been a disappointment for me since crossing, I'd read quite positive things about him but he's rarely shown more than just being an accumulator. 

I'm hoping we hold onto ANB but I wonder whether this might be an opportunity for us to show off some depth and get some interested parties looking our way. 

I would love to see us monster a team, put the competition on notice for 2017. 

We'll smash them Pates. That new sign has finally been placed outside of The G.

'UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT'

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

Harmes has been treading water for a while, it was only a matter of time before he got dropped. His kicking has cost him just like it cost M.Jones a few weeks ago, we are weeding out the poor kicks from the side so I'm not surprised that ANB and Michie are now ahead of him.

We need to get games in to the Weid so I'm content to see him  get a game ahead of Pedo.

I don't understand the replacement for Garlett surely Kennedy was the perfect replacement. I don't know what he's done or not done to be offside with Roos.

I don't know what to expect from this game, are we going to be the clanger king Demons (Essendon game) or world beating Demons (Hawthorn game). We must smash them no excuses.

I've been calling for Harmes to get the chop too, I just wouldn't have switched him for Michie. A 90% Salem offers more IMO, but this might be a game we can get away with playing Michie and ANB.

5 hours ago, Cards13 said:

If I was Carlton is be playing like the end of the season can't come quick enough. I think that's what we'll see.

Peds may come back in as a late change yet.

Hope your right Cards. But pride is a good motivator and I'm sure they would love to maintain their successful record against us. 

Our team selection this year has been baffling at times and these changes seem no clearer to me at all.

16 minutes ago, A F said:

I've been calling for Harmes to get the chop too, I just wouldn't have switched him for Michie. A 90% Salem offers more IMO, but this might be a game we can get away with playing Michie and ANB.

I like the changes...

We get to see Weideman & Hogan. Pedders a bit unlucky but maybe a late inclusion for either of them.

ANB comes in for Garlett, he's been playing more forward at Casey recently ...Kennedy has dropped off a little the last few weeks.

Michie has been playing well off half back and setting the game up with his kicking...Harmes needs a reset.

Salem would be lucky to be anywhere near 90% for AFL...it would be unfair on him to play. If you remember his earlier games before taking time out he wasn't impacting at all and about to be dropped. Let him come back in when he's really up and running.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

Watts has played that role for the second half of the season.  I've rarely seen Pedo do it.

While the changes do raise an eyebrow, I'll back the club in again.  They know what they're doing.

Watts has been great this year but we're best served with him as our 3rd tall. Never will Jack be known as a pack crasher or put doubt in the mind of a defender going back with the flight. Pedo does this. Not to mention his body work, bumping and contested marks. Watts in the ruck has been a bit of a revelation but I'm not sure we want him and his lightly framed body exposed to the rigours of No.2 ruck work for too long. 

Anyway I just think Pederson is extremely stiff to be dropped from a team who has won 3 on the trot in which he has evenly contributed to. And the side is weaker without him.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rjay said:

I like the changes...

We get to see Weideman & Hogan. Pedders a bit unlucky but maybe a late inclusion for either of them.

ANB comes in for Garlett, he's been playing more forward at Casey recently ...Kennedy has dropped off a little the last few weeks.

Michie has been playing well off half back and setting the game up with his kicking...Harmes needs a reset.

Salem would be lucky to be anywhere near 90% for AFL...it would be unfair on him to play. If you remember his earlier games before taking time out he wasn't impacting at all and about to be dropped. Let him come back in when he's really up and running.

I agree. It's just that he's a better kick than Harmes or Michie and would probably collect just as many possessions, if not more than Michie.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A F said:

I agree. It's just that he's a better kick than Harmes or Michie and would probably collect just as many possessions, if not more than Michie.

Salem was hardly setting the world on fire prior to his injury. We know his talent but it hasn't been shown to its full extent this season. I have no problem with him being made to earn his spot. God knows the two players coming in this week have. If he's not quite at 100% it makes the decision even easier. 

Michie is actually a very neat kick, btw. I hope he plays well. The negative posts whenever he gets selected are draining to read.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rjay said:

I like the changes...

I agree with all of that. 

Neal-Bullen may not be like for like, but, as you say, he's being played more forward and he's better in that role at AFL level than midfield, where he makes poor decisions and has poor disposals under pressure. 

At this stage of his development, he's far better with a bit of time and space.  I think he'll do well in that role tomorrow. 

That said, I find him a bit underwhelming as a selection. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

There's some noise around about Jesse Hogan still being in doubt for tomorrow's game so don't discount Cam Pedersen just yet.

Much as I like Pedo's impact on the contest (& he has done nothing wrong to warrant his omission), it would be a great shame if we were denied seeing Hoges and the Weed lining up together this Sunday!

• Like 1

Pedersen was dropped for selfish acts and pulling out of contests.

My personal view only, after tearing my hair out multiple times over his efforts last week.

He adds value to the side, but I don't think he'll be around a lot longer because he doesn't play the "right way."

12 minutes ago, Jock Strap said:

ANB has been fantastic at VFL level - he had to be rewarded. I think he has a big future once he gets some further size and experience 

Be nice to see him get some ball and kick a couple of goals. Would do his confidence no harm either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

My personal view only, after tearing my hair out multiple times over his efforts last week.

He adds value to the side, but I don't think he'll be around a lot longer because he doesn't play the "right way."

Your comment on the 'right way' resonates with me also - I thought Harmes played the right game, but there you go.....

5 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Your comment on the 'right way' resonates with me also - I thought Harmes played the right game, but there you go.....

Yes, but not all players get dropped for the same reasoning.

I'd say Pedersen's form was better than Harmes, but he wasn't playing the right way.

Harmes just didn't have a great game, and I'd say his replacement  will play in the right way.

I'd say the vast majority play the game the way Roos/Goodwin want it to be played, and those that don't will be gone soon enough.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Yes, but not all players get dropped for the same reasoning.

I'd say Pedersen's form was better than Harmes, but he wasn't playing the right way.

Harmes just didn't have a great game, and I'd say his replacement  will play in the right way.

I'd say the vast majority play the game the way Roos/Goodwin want it to be played, and those that don't will be gone soon enough.

Agree.....and all I can say....it's about time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jock Strap said:

ANB has been fantastic at VFL level - he had to be rewarded. I think he has a big future once he gets some further size and experience 

I have high hopes for ANB. Seems to have a good mental attitude, knows where the goals are, can lay a good tackle, has footy smarts and has endurance. I wish him well.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

Perhaps if I watched the game again with a more critical eye, I might see the incidents you are refering to, but I don't recall any pulling out of contests and or anything particularly selfish in Pedo's play in the last couple of games he has played.

Sure it's easy to be critical in hindsight when a player misses a goal, when perhaps they could have tried to pass it off to a team mate in a higher percentage position, but there is a point where if a player is in a position to kick a goal, they should just back them selves in to kick it ...and Pedo is a good goal kicker.  I often think we over use the ball in our forward line and turn it over - just look at our usual forward 50 entries compared to our scoring.

As for backing out of contests, I'm sure that one of Port's players (can't remember their name) was wishing that big Cam backed out of that ground ball in the middle last week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mach5 said:

I like Pedersen and I can't reconcile this comment with what I saw. Selfish acts? Which ones? There may have been a lack of vision or error of judgement in the kick for goal which he missed, but selfish act - Nuh. 

As for pulling out of contests, - you will need to describe them, because I just saw a player who hit hard and played his role, didn't star but did little wrong.

• Like 2

Anyway, enough bemoaning selection decisions that are now done and dusted, I'm looking forward to how our troops perform on the paddock tomorrow.

One of thethings I've noticed in recent weeks are the good long goals being kicked on the run by the likes of Hunt and particularly Gus Brayshaw.  I think this has been really important to our forward line set-up, because it has made our avenue to goal less predictable, where as in my view, there had been too much either bombing it up to a contest at the top of the square or trying to chip around and pin point a target inside 50, both of which too seldom resulted in goals.  Because we are now taking on the game a bit more again and have these players kicking goals from on or outside 50, it has made our forward line far less predictable and harder to set-up against.

Also looking forward to seeing more good form from Frost - gee moving him to the back line was a genius move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xarronn said:

I like Pedersen and I can't reconcile this comment with what I saw. Selfish acts? Which ones? There may have been a lack of vision or error of judgement in the kick for goal which he missed, but selfish act - Nuh. 

As for pulling out of contests, - you will need to describe them, because I just saw a player who hit hard and played his role, didn't star but did little wrong.

Only thing I can recall is where was running into an open goal and missed it. Maybe that was selfish coz he could have offloaded it? But if he'd kicked it, all would be forgiven.

I reckon it's got nothing to do with selfish acts, etc, and more to do with Pedo not being the future.

The coaches want to find out more about what is our best lineup and they're not going to be distracted by the sudden possibility of making the 8. They've done it all year and it's working. Weed's first game against the reigned champs on top of the ladder! Why change now and retreat into our shells?

If they'd stuck to a rigid idea of our "best 22" all year we'd still be playing Dunn and Garland and wouldn't have uncovered Hunt OMac or Frost.

• Like 2