Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Best 22 for Round 1, 2017

2 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

The young players will fight out the last few spots, but there is no way that Melksham doesn't make the 22.

I was thinking the same thing, if "reports" are to be believed he signed on for 500k per season, for what? To be an emergency. 

An idea, and I know this won't be popular but why couldn't Melksham play Jetta's role. If he can be equally as good defensively but be better offensively this has to be considered. This offers the team more flexibility. Think Geelong, think Hawthorn the idea has merit.

32 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I was thinking the same thing, if "reports" are to be believed he signed on for 500k per season, for what? To be an emergency. 

An idea, and I know this won't be popular but why couldn't Melksham play Jetta's role. If he can be equally as good defensively but be better offensively this has to be considered. This offers the team more flexibility. Think Geelong, think Hawthorn the idea has merit.

You are way too interested in what players make. You sign the players that you can get for the price you can get them - knowing recruits often get extra to move - and then you play the best 22. 

Sure the club will be keen to play Melksham given they recruited him but if he's not best 22 then he's an emergency. I think there's always an injury or underdone player come round 1 so he'll be in the side either at half back or on a wing.

I don't think we'd be getting rid of one of our best one on one defenders and cooler heads in the backline to trial Melksham as a deep defender. Although I have wondered about using Jetta as a defensive forward pressure player and going with a more attacking backline so it could happen.

1 hour ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Melksham hasn't played for over 12 months. What makes him a walk-up start ?

As for what he or anyone else is on financially who cares ? It's form that decides whether they play.

I'm yet to see a player take his cheque book, bank statement or accountant onto the field ***. When the ball is bounced all that tripe is irrelevant

*** Crackers Keenan once went out on the ground with a $20 tucked in his sock. Apparently to repay a losing bet

5 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Easily the toughest "best 22" I've tried to make in a decade.

FB: Jetta T.McDonald O.McDonald

HB: Hibberd Frost Hunt

C: Vince Viney Salem

HF: Watts Pedersen Petracca

FF: Garlett Hogan Kent

Foll: Gawn Jones Lewis

Int: Oliver Stretch Brayshaw Tyson

I'm tipping Casey will be right up there again this year.

I like this. Maybe a bit of a reshuffle of Frost & the Macs. Also reckon Billy will "own" one of the wings this year

Still so young - the core of this team can play a helluva lot of games together

FB: O. McDonald, Frost, Jetta

HB: Lumumba, T. McDonald, Hibberd (assuming we get him)

C: Vince, Jones, Lewis

HF: Petracca, Hogan, Kent

FF: Watts, TBA, Garlett

FOLL: Gawn, Oliver, Viney

INT: Brayshaw, Hunt, Salem, Tyson

EMERG: Melksham, Pedersen, Stretch

TBA could be any of Pedersen, a late trade for Nathan Vardy, a big pre-season by Liam Hulett or drafting a Darcy Cameron. Just someone to play the 2nd ruck/fwd role.

But it's starting to look like a pretty decent team.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
Forgot Tyson!

FB: Jetta  T Mc  Frost
HB: Hibberd  O Mc  Hunt
C: Salem/Kent   Jones  Melksham/Stretch
HF: Petracca  Pedo  Lewis/Kent
FF: Kent/Garlett   Hogan  Watts
Foll: Gawn   Viney  Tyson

Int from: Oliver Brayshaw Vince Wagner Melksham

7 minutes ago, In Gawn we Trust said:

I'm of the belief that Lumumba could still be in our best side given he's healthy and has a strong pre-season.. Anyone agree?

no.

presuming we land hibberd some time in the next two days:

B: Jetta - T McDonald - Frost
HB: Hunt - O McDonald - Hibberd
C: Vince - Jones - Tyson
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Kent
F: Watts - Weideman - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Lewis - Viney
I/C: Salem - Brayshaw - Oliver - Stretch
Emerg: Melksham - Pedersen - vandenBerg

Vince pushes defensively, Tyson moves into contested situation, Kent, Trac and Watts roll up and push back all the time...actual depth of rotations through the midfield and as run out of defence...man oh man, I would be pretty excited about going to the footy to see what we can do...

Edited by DemonAndrew

9 minutes ago, In Gawn we Trust said:

I'm of the belief that Lumumba could still be in our best side given he's healthy and has a strong pre-season.. Anyone agree?

I don't rate him at all but the reality is if he got himself right he wouldn't be all that far off getting games and could still an option as a third tall defender against teams that have a leading up the ground 3rd tall forward. He could push Frost and Oscar for a spot. But it's going to take a fair turn around for him to be in the best 22.

12 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

no.

presuming we land hibberd some time in the next two days:

B: Jetta - T McDonald - Frost
HB: Hunt - O McDonald - Hibberd
C: Vince - Jones - Tyson
HF: Petracca - Hogan - Kent
F: Watts - Weideman - Garlett
Foll: Gawn - Lewis - Viney
I/C: Salem - Brayshaw - Oliver - Stretch
Emerg: Melksham - Pedersen - vandenBerg

Vince pushes defensively, Tyson moves into contested situation, Kent, Trac and Watts roll up and push back all the time...actual depth of rotations through the midfield and as run out of defence...man oh man, I would be pretty excited about going to the footy to see what we can do...

I guess you're right, its a big positive knowing we are gaining more and more depth each year. However i reckon its a shame Lumumba didn't work out as planned, he could've helped in a lot of different ways. The acquisition of Lewis today got me pretty horny though 

11 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

FB: Jetta  Frost/Oscar (Hibberd)
HB: Lewis  T Mc  Hunt
C: Salem   Jones   Stretch
HF: Petracca  Hogan  Kent
FF: Garlett   Weed/Pedda  Watts
Foll: Gawn   Viney  Tyson
Int: 
Brayshaw - forward/mid rotation
Oliver - inside mid
Vince - outside mid
Frost or Oscar/Wagner/Melksham - half back

Rotations will be vital. Viney and Tyson should play half forward. Jones to half back or wing, with Lewis and Vince going on ball. Salem to half back. Watts to a wing. Hunt to a wing.

Spot on, mate. Agree with every single line here.

FB: Jetta T.McDonald O.McDonald

HB: Hibberd Frost Hunt

C: Vince Viney Lewis

HF: Watts Pedersen Petracca

FF: Garlett Hogan Kent

Foll: Gawn Jones Tyson

Int: Oliver Stretch Brayshaw Harmes

22 hours ago, Courtney_Fish said:

What about emergencies?

No mention of Lumumba, Vandenberg?

Seems ify about 1 key fwd and 1 key back?

Watts &/or Pedo as 2nd rucks?

I suspect Vince has hit his Use By date.

And why should he be mentioned?

22 hours ago, Abe said:

Hibberd O McDonald Jetta

Hunt TMcDonald Melksham

Vince Tyson Lewis

Petracca Hogan Kent

Garlett Weideman Watts

Gawn N.Jones Viney

Brayshaw, Oliver, Salem, Harmes

Weideman maybe not quite yet. Pedo for now. 

4 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

The best team discussions are irrelevent.

I can't recall the last team we had our 'best' team on the park. There are always injuries and suspensions etc

Pre-season form always shows it's bolters and sliders.

It is a beautiful thing to have such competition for spots, and puts us in a nice position to do some trading 2017 and beyond.

6 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

You're right, but in a way it's almost more interesting who people don't include in their teams.

I liked your post only because it evens up your posts and likes :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

FB: O. McDonald, Frost, Jetta

HB: Lumumba, T. McDonald, Hibberd (assuming we get him)

HF: Petracca, Hogan, Kent

FF: Watts, TBA, Garlett

TBA could be any of Pedersen, a late trade for Nathan Vardy, a big pre-season by Liam Hulett or drafting a Darcy Cameron. Just someone to play the 2nd ruck/fwd role.

But it's starting to look like a pretty decent team.

i like tba, angry. has a bit of mongrel and a dead-eye dick

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

The best team discussions are irrelevent.

I can't recall the last team we had our 'best' team on the park. There are always injuries and suspensions etc

Not necessarily irrelevant.  They do form a useful template.  Though I do agree, not often realised.  

FB: Frost, T Mcdonald, Jetta

HB: Lumumba, O. McDonald, Hibberd 

HF: Petracca, Weideman, Kent

FF: Watts, Hogan, Garlett

On the cusp:

VandenBerg, Bugg, Harmes, Dawes, Garland, Kennedy, JKH, Spencer (if Gawn injured), ANB, Trengove

Lots of depth....