Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 18

Demonland

2 hours ago, bing181 said:

Such as?

From reports, no-one "of size" is really playing OK, which is why they're at Casey.

And it was why Dawes was dropped and has not played a game since and is back in.

We would be better off with Frost  back down there or playing Gawn in the forward line and bringing in Spencer.

Dawes gives us nothing, he does not mark he does not score and he does no ruck duties.

what the hell does he do?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, dworship said:

Jake Spencer 1 goal 20 disposals 8 kicks 12 handballs 3 marks 7 tackles 44 hit outs 139 dream team points

Just sayin'

For sure it should have been Spencer in instead of Dawes, not quite sure why it wasn't. 

• Like 2

I can't understand the angst with Dawes....he isn't a match winner ...he played crap in his last game but we are desperate for a big body to take the pressure of Jessie and he has the nous & the body to do it.  If he plays as he did against Freo then ok...bad call but if he replicates his form against the Hawks...great selection.  We aren't a top  8 side yet....we're a really young side so play the bigger bodies & let the Frosts ...Weidemans....Hulett's develop at their own pace...2017 perfect for the latter two....on this forum we are so harsh to judge & then it's okay to post an abject apology when proven wrong.  Dawes won't be there in our future but I'm happy to use him for all the above reasons.  Like it or not but you can bank it....hogan loves dawes on the ground..

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, old dee said:

And it was why Dawes was dropped and has not played a game since and is back in.

We would be better off with Frost  back down there or playing Gawn in the forward line and bringing in Spencer.

Dawes gives us nothing, he does not mark he does not score and he does no ruck duties.

A little unkind OD, a little out of character for such a gentleman. 

14 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

I can't understand the angst with Dawes....he isn't a match winner ...he played crap in his last game but we are desperate for a big body to take the pressure of Jessie and he has the nous & the body to do it.  If he plays as he did against Freo then ok...bad call but if he replicates his form against the Hawks...great selection.  We aren't a top  8 side yet....we're a really young side so play the bigger bodies & let the Frosts ...Weidemans....Hulett's develop at their own pace...2017 perfect for the latter two....on this forum we are so harsh to judge & then it's okay to post an abject apology when proven wrong.  Dawes won't be there in our future but I'm happy to use him for all the above reasons.  Like it or not but you can bank it....hogan loves dawes on the ground..

He's a spud.

• Like 2

Spencer should be in instead of Dawes.  Gawn was our most dangerous forward last week (when in the forward line) and should play forward at least half the game.  Spencer's a decent enough ruck now.  He deserves a go!

It really messed with my hating Dawes' playing after I spent half an hour speaking one on one with him once.  Nicest, most intelligent fellow you'll ever meet playing in the AFL.  I can understand why Roos likes him, but that's no excuse because we usually lose when he's in the side because his playing is crap.

6 hours ago, old dee said:

Big body.

Premiership player.

Provides a contest.

Brings ball to ground.

Great public speaker.

Each of those are worth 100k each.

• Like 2

I dont know why considering West Coast record at home & our terrible record over there but I have a feeling we'll be in this game up to our ears... Reckon they are gettable if we bring our A game... Having said that I can see us been 5 goals down at QRT time aswell

Edited by JV7

7 hours ago, Ricky P said:

Subi is massive. Dawes has a lot of faults but he's got a big tank for a big man. Would be bonkers playing Spencer as a key forward at subi.

We are Bonkers playing Dawes what good is having a big tank if all you do is run around the forward line all day dropping marks. 

A forward by their view nature is supposed to score or at least assist. He does neither. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, old dee said:

8 hours ago, hemingway said:

A little unkind OD, a little out of character for such a gentleman. 

Perhaps ungentlemanly, Ernest, but pretty irrefutable. 

Meanwhile Spencer dominates at VFL, does mark, does score and does ruck duties (and did play an important part in our last surprise win at Geelong last year)!

PS: What is Spencer's contract status? He must be pretty [censored] off and one could not blame him if he were to request a trade. 

Edited by monoccular
PS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Big body.

Premiership player.

Provides a contest.

Brings ball to ground.

Great public speaker.

Each of those are worth 100k each.

He has the chance to play well and put all his politeness aside.

A big ground might suit him but I hope he plays like its his last game because it could be.

I want to see a fight from him,or several.

i hate nice big blokes.

get nasty Dawes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Biffen said:

He has the chance to play well and put all his politeness aside.

A big ground might suit him but I hope he plays like its his last game because it could be.

I want to see a fight from him,or several.

i hate nice big blokes.

get nasty Dawes.

I have no doubt Dawesy will come out & try his hardest knowing his career depends on it.. but unfortunately his talent doesn't match his desire. I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but I can't see it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, old dee said:

Ranks as elite at pointing to unguarded space, and is also rated top 10 at frowns.

Valuable commodities in today's game.

• Like 5

I dont get the hysteria on here and to be frank im thankful none of you are in charge. 

Young teams cant travel, its well documented. Dawes is in to provide experience, a target and a big body and he will bring all of those things notwithstanding his flaws.

A few have rightly pointed out that two ruckmen at subi would be a disastrous selection, so spencer waits a few weekz before we put max on ice. 

Weed and hulett arent banging the door down and by all accounts have a fair way to go - whats the rush? We arent gaining anything this year by sending them on a 6 hour round trip to Perth with noone in the fwd 50 except 20 year old Hogan for company. Get real. 

Hulett will debut later this year. Weid potentially not at all unless he can turn his form around. 

My understanding is VDB has been basically playing injured all year - both ankles and a few hip issues. If you watched closely at the st kilda game he got crunched a few times and was slow to get up. For those saying he is slow - you have no idea. One of the quicker players on our list and its a key reason why his defensive and tackling pressure is a good attribute. 

Hope ANB gets played a few times in the middle and can show some things. Was disappointed when he came in earlier in the year off the back of red hot form and was unsighted. 

Just quietly - i think stretch is coming along very nicely and in 3 years might just surprise a few with how good he is.

• Like 5

We'll never be a decent side whilst we have certain players who are not subject to the same rules as the rest of the team.

Dawes was dropped for his woeful performance against Adelaide. Had the next week off because Casey had the bye, and then got a note from his mummy so he didn't have to play last week. Then he comes straight back into the senior side with less match fitness and no form.

He is a forward who can't take a mark and can't kick a goal, won't play in the ruck even though it suits our structure better and he won't play at Casey. What message does this send to the young forwards on our list?

Otherwise the changes seem pretty reasonable, although I thought Grimes did enough against Freo to warrant a second chance. I hope Vandenberg's injury doesn't preclude him from playing his next match at Casey.

• Like 2

Listening to Roos' press conference, bringing in Dawes is clearly in response to Hogan's frustration on the weekend.  Of course it should be expected that Dawes contributes to the team in his own right and if he doesn't he'll be dropped again, but I think that's the context.

It's been said numerous times that Hogan finds playing the game easier when Dawes is in the team - and specifically Dawes (same not true of Pedersen, for example).  We know Dawes won't kick 10 and may not even kick 1, but if he plays an adequate game where he contests, competes, tackles, and lifts Hogan by 50%, he is worth having in the team in my eyes.

Either way, we had to bring in a key forward.  The alternatives were Pedersen, who is coming off a lengthy layoff from illness and by all reports was average for Casey, Hulett who is not ready, and Weideman who is less ready.  In the long term Weids or Hulett need to step up for this role, and pretty quickly because I think both Dawes and Pedersen are on borrowed time, but I'm comfortable with Dawes filling the role in the mean time.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Listening to Roos' press conference, bringing in Dawes is clearly in response to Hogan's frustration on the weekend.  Of course it should be expected that Dawes contributes to the team in his own right and if he doesn't he'll be dropped again, but I think that's the context.

It's been said numerous times that Hogan finds playing the game easier when Dawes is in the team - and specifically Dawes (same not true of Pedersen, for example).  We know Dawes won't kick 10 and may not even kick 1, but if he plays an adequate game where he contests, competes, tackles, and lifts Hogan by 50%, he is worth having in the team in my eyes.

Either way, we had to bring in a key forward.  The alternatives were Pedersen, who is coming off a lengthy layoff from illness and by all reports was awful for Casey, Hulett who is not ready, and Weideman who is less ready.  In the long term Weids or Hulett need to step up for this role, and pretty quickly because I think both Dawes and Pedersen are on borrowed time, but I'm comfortable with Dawes filling the role in the mean time.

Nasher, you're on the right track here.  I don't quite understand the hysteria around Dawes being brought in.  The fact is we have 6 weeks to determine whether to offer Dawes and Pedersen contracts next year.  Dawes is fit but out of form so he gets the first look at it.  We have looked better all year with the additional big body in the forward line, particularly with Watts needing to ruck and both he and Hogan spending not inconsiderable time in defence at the end of each quarter (or to try and get some hands on the footy in Jesse's case).  McKenzie was always going to be back in and he and McGovern are big bodies.  It was never going to be an option to throw Hulett and Weideman (more so) to the wolves.  One or other may well get a game in the twilight of the season but the imperative right now is the Dawes / Pedersen contract conundrum. 

43 minutes ago, Copuchas said:

Nasher, you're on the right track here.  I don't quite understand the hysteria around Dawes being brought in.  The fact is we have 6 weeks to determine whether to offer Dawes and Pedersen contracts next year.  Dawes is fit but out of form so he gets the first look at it.  We have looked better all year with the additional big body in the forward line, particularly with Watts needing to ruck and both he and Hogan spending not inconsiderable time in defence at the end of each quarter (or to try and get some hands on the footy in Jesse's case).  McKenzie was always going to be back in and he and McGovern are big bodies.  It was never going to be an option to throw Hulett and Weideman (more so) to the wolves.  One or other may well get a game in the twilight of the season but the imperative right now is the Dawes / Pedersen contract conundrum. 

No conundrum for me Dawes gone Pedersen stays

• Like 1