Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TV rights

Hards

I'm hearing it'll be a four-four split between Seven and Ten next year, no games on Fox.

Pull an Aker and put a percentage on it - less than 5% chance of Fox having games.

Wonder what this means for coverage for those outside the major cities, and outside Melbourne in particular.

Yeah nothing like having 1300 sporting events that can't be shown live - what was it? 73% don't get shown at all on FTA.

Most countries have less than a dozen events on their list. We have 1300. Sounds like a bit of an overkill to me.

Great here's to channel 7 showing a 90 minute replay package at 1:30 am on a Sunday/Monday morning.

Here's to channel 7 showing Rugby Union tests in favour of AFL (like they screwed us around in 2001)

I'm also excited that there will be no more commercial free games.

I'm so rapt I've got foxtel. I couldn't be happier!!!

I dont have Foxtel and dont intend to get it.

I just hate the concept of having to pay for things that have been shown on free to air for free.

As much as I condemn commercial TV, I will even put up with the ads that go with it to watch free to air sport.

It is interesting that there are 1300 events that are on FTA with only 27% being shown at all. What defines an "event"? Is one football match an event? Is one tennis match an "event" or is the whole tournament an "event"?

Apart from Football, Cricket, rugby uniion and soccer I could not give a stuff about the other sports. However I understand that there are those that want golf, racing and tennis.

I am happy even if FTA TV shows a replay at 1am. I will tape it.

I just get annoyed that to have it "live" I need to subscribe to for suite of stations when I only want to watch one station about 4 times a years for about 3 hours at a time. What a waste. As Bruce Springsteen said about cable TV "57 stations and nothing's on"

I dont have Foxtel and dont intend to get it.

I just hate the concept of having to pay for things that have been shown on free to air for free.

Rhino, the Pay TV campaign is not about making you pay to watch things you currently see on Free to air. It's about making you pay to watch live things you don't see on free to air. It's called "use it or lose it" and will prevent the free to air networks hoarding the rights to events and then not showing them.

Rhino, the Pay TV campaign is not about making you pay to watch things you currently see on Free to air. It's about making you pay to watch live things you don't see on free to air. It's called "use it or lose it" and will prevent the free to air networks hoarding the rights to events and then not showing them.

Thats right.

And aside from AFL, soccer, cricket they can have it.

My only concern is that if you loosen the tap cable TV will ulitimately can access to and control of staple FTA sports. Then everone loses.

Thats right.

And aside from AFL, soccer, cricket they can have it.

My only concern is that if you loosen the tap cable TV will ulitimately can access to and control of staple FTA sports. Then everone loses.

If No AFL on Foxtel in 2007 eventuates this will be a total disaster.

Let us pray there is still life in the negotiations.

Channel 7 you are a disgrace. :angry:

Channel 7 you are a disgrace. :angry:

Yes, Channel Seven are a disgrace, there is very little they don't butcher. Just have a look at their appalling footy telecasts in the late 90s. Surely they couldn't be that bad again. Surely.

But it's PBL who own Nine and a slab of Foxtel who are driving a hard bargain against Seven. Seven either lower their price to allow Foxtel to show four games, or they knock back Foxtel and have to show live games against the NRL in Sydney and Brisbane on Friday nights and get massacred in the ratings. Either way, Nine are laughing.

For those of you who are happy foxtel is not getting the rights, spare a thought for those of us (including me) who live interstate - this will absolutely screw us over.

I'd be happy to pay for the chance to watch us live but it looks like for half the games next year I'm not even going to get the opportunity.

I will be absolutely rapt if I get 8 games live.

On free to air. giddy up!

I will only get foxtel next year if they get more than 2 games. I was about to dip into it but will now wait.

My belief is that Foxtel will sign and would wager that way. So I will still have to pony up.

But...

Without any of the repeats or extraneous shows repeated, it is the best of times if NO shows go to Foxtel, for me and most of the Melbourne footy public.

Seven and Nine are having Monday night shows. This means not having to swallow the Footy show antics just to get a fix.

I cant wait.

Use It Or Lose It means that FTA networks get first bid - if they won't show an event live then Pay TV get the opportunity.

A collection of events are kept on a limited anti-syphoning list, such as the AFL GF, which of course FTA TV would never pass on anyway. It means the system works exactly the same as it does everywhere else in the world, where only a small number of items are on the list, but FTA rights are protected for major events.

No one at all loses with Use It Or Lose It.

Also, this doesn't mean all 8 games will be live and in full on FTA. 7 and 10 won't want to go against each other, as it's financially not viable to do so.

Edited highlights shown at 1am

Crappy commentators and production

Back to the dark ages!

Hurray

:rolleyes:

Back to the dark ages!

Hurray

:rolleyes:

Totally agree.

Channel 7's coverage of football in 2001 (its last year) was absolutely second rate.

I can remember they showed 3 Rugby Bedisloe Cup games if favour of the Saturday night games. As if the majority of Victorians give a crap about Rugby. :rolleyes:

Channel 7 appear to be the least dedicated out of all the channels I reckon.

If Foxtel don't show any live games, it would still be nice if they can come to a deal whereby they'll show a replay of all 8 games during the week so you can tape the wins commercial free instead of an ad after each goal.

Edited highlights shown at 1am

Crappy commentators and production

Back to the dark ages!

Hurray :rolleyes:

Agree

Read somewhere (cant remeber where) about the crap commentary of the 90s 7 had and where happy 7 lost the rights in 02. Here in sydney hardly grt much AFL coverage. In 06 games get broadcast anytime between 11pm and 1:30am and when wimbeldon was on a game broadcast at 5am. Could listen to game on radio live instead

Great watch hilights at 1am :angry:

The problem for 7 and 10 is that they can't go free to air with 2 games on Friday and Saturday nights against the Rugby League in the NSW and Queensland markets. It would be commercial suicide.

Therefore, they're trying other avenues in the absence of an agreement with Foxtel and it seems to me that the ABC might come to the party with their ABC2 station on digital TV. As they're phasing out the analog, that will be the a real possibility. Channels 31 in Sydney and Brisbane have a poor signal so they must be ruled out.

Great here's to channel 7 showing a 90 minute replay package at 1:30 am on a Sunday/Monday morning.

Being interstate we will be screwed with this unless they come up with something a little better than what we already had with channel 9,

otherwise it is a huge backwards step.

Here's to channel 7 showing Rugby Union tests in favour of AFL (like they screwed us around in 2001)

This actually might not happen given that Ten has the rights to the World Cup in September.....

So, who the hell know?!!!

He there don't post often but read a hellava lot, this subject is interesting if anyone thinks foxtel being locked out of a deal is good then you must be a Collingwood supporter (head up arse, IQ 10) Channel 10 coverage is second rate at best, Channel 7 well hmmm... think about what they used to do? The two will not go head to head on live games, so we will be subjected to late night replays and oh oh who could forget channe 7's great Saturday Replays wrap up 4 games in one and a half hours yippie how I missed that.

Foxtel and Nine had the best Coverage of games I can remember not to mention how great Fox Footy was (RIP) during the week.

As has being mentioned interstate viewers will be left in the dark again most likely no live coverage and replays at mental hours. The way it's looking we are all in for some hard time over the next few years.

Mum I'm scared <_<

Agree

Read somewhere (cant remeber where) about the crap commentary of the 90s 7 had and where happy 7 lost the rights in 02. Here in sydney hardly grt much AFL coverage. In 06 games get broadcast anytime between 11pm and 1:30am and when wimbeldon was on a game broadcast at 5am. Could listen to game on radio live instead

Great watch hilights at 1am :angry:

I could live with ABC2

The following article is encouraging the channels to get moving on negotiations on broadcasting the games

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/com...5E19742,00.html

Main points in the article are:

1. Community stations broadcasting games

2. 7 & 10 Uneasy relationship

3. If not resolved major embarrasment for AFL

4. AFL to communicate with 7, 10 & Fox

5. AFL blinded by $$ and hurt by demise of Fox Footy

At the end it provides an excellent conclusion: "How can so many high-profile, high-powered, highly paid people be so obstinate, so bloody-minded?"

Rugby will always be better than AFL. I would prefer rugby over afl any day and cricket over rugby

I enjoy a sport which u can play against other countries and is tough

And I also enjoy a sport which is tough..................

..............................takes skill......................

..........endurance.................................courage.................

........................and..................................................

................................................most of all..................

..................brains :D to play.

I don't care about playing other countries, only Collingwood. :D